Infant Gowns - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-11-2008, 07:26 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Do you like baby nightgowns? Why or why not?

If you used them, at what age did your LO stop wearing them?

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 AM

I think they are adorable, especially for little girls.

I am married to my soul mate and best friend, and I am truly blessed.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:08 AM

They are alright. We used them for maybe the first month?

Pros:

-seem comfy
-easy diaper changes at night

Cons:

-Some of the ones we had didn't snap all the way down the front, and as a new mom, I hated having to actually put things over my babies head
-Had to change the baby if we were going out as they can't be used in a car seat
-needed to wear socks with them, and I always lose baby socks

I really just prefered sleepers. In fact, my dd lived in sleepers for nearly the first 6 or so months of life. They were comfortable, and my dd was VERY large, so finding pants that didn't dig into her waist badly was challenging.
Old 10-11-2008, 10:45 AM

I love them. My kids live in them the first month and I still sleep put them in them at night until much later. I don't put socks on with them, my boys both hate socks and I think they like how their feet and legs can rub together like in the womb. I get ones with loose necks and no snaps or drawstrings. My favorite right now for baby Z are the Gerber Organics. I changed Z three times in the span of 25 minutes this morning. I would have spent forever snapping him up if he was in a sleeper. I have still put my kids in them in the car seat. I just pull it up enough, buckle them and cover with a blanket.

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :
Old 10-11-2008, 11:11 AM

i loved them too. my ds wore them a lot for the first month or so, then at night til 4 or 5 months or so. and i used them in the carseat too

*~*Ashley*~* newly single mama to Tristan 10/01/2007
Old 10-11-2008, 11:44 AM

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
I haven't had baby yet so I may end up not liking them once they're in practice, but I like them at least in theory because I'm having a winter baby. I've been given a couple of those one size sleep sacks which just look great for baby getting warmed up. I can layer clothes underneath if I want to, and they seem that they would give baby a feeling of comfort similar to swaddling. I also have a few of the cotton ones...these I see mostly as a convience for overnight changing...baby will be able to keep legs mostly covered for warmth throughout the night and I won't have to bother with snaps or anything when I'm half asleep.

Of course I also have an abundance of sleepers. I see these as a completely different kind of convience...they're great for layering as well, can be worn indoors and out and are more comfy for the constantly sleeping newborn.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:46 AM

We used them the 1st 6 weeks or so. Great for night time changes as stated. My DH calls the nightgowns "twozies" because it went over the onesie.

"The true joy of life is the trip. The station is only a dream. It constantly out distances us."
Old 10-11-2008, 12:34 PM

I only had one for DS but wish I'd had more. They were easier than sleepers for diaper changes. If I have any more babies ever, it'll be nightgowns and sleep sacks all the way.
Old 10-11-2008, 12:58 PM

My DS wore them until he couldn't fit into them. They were awesome for quick diaper changes and worked out great for us. We could use them in the car seat though. They are so lose and long I was able to just bunch it up in the middle and snap the car seat straps. However, didn't use them that much this time around. I had bought a ton of them for DD and then unboxed DS's but only used them a few times. I really don't know why this time was different, I still love them.

A wife to A, unschoolen mom to C (7), T (3) & little A (9 months).
Hey Nena, I know you are creepen on me. privateeyes.gif  Get a life. 
Old 10-11-2008, 01:20 PM

I love them and still use them at night even though they don't cover her feet anymore. When they are little they make diaper changes so easy and now we do EC they work great for that too.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:11 PM

Love them!...Great for EC!

Mummy me : > Thats Ann! and my beautiful SONS Duncanand Hamish 19/09/05 & 22/04/10!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:27 PM

We were given two lightweight cotton ones from BabyGap that we are really loving for DS (who is 11 weeks). We use them at night, and started using them about 4 weeks ago when the nights started to get a little cooler (he had been going to bed in just a diaper). They are great(!!) for nighttime diaper changes when you don't want to fuss with complicated clothing. They are also just super cute (we're always reminded of Sweet Pea from the movie "Popeye"). The BabyGap ones are especially good because they are long, soft and stretchy. We have some other ones (Under the Nile and Carter's) that are a little thicker, fabric-wise, but not as long as the babyGap ones. The Carter's one, which he wore the last two nights, is a bit of a pain because it is a lap-shoulder (no snaps) and the fabric is less stretchy...so it's harder to put on and DS gets mad. I don't know when we'll stop using them. I foresee us using them through the winter if they continue to fit.

Teacher until birth of DS (7-27-08)blowkiss.gifand now DD (10-17-11)femalesling.GIF:, now SAHM, wife to my wonderful hard-working DH.   cd.gifnocirc.gifselectivevax.gif

Old 10-11-2008, 03:53 PM

LOVE them! We wear them exclusively the first 6-8 weeks and then we wear them at night. they are so soft and look so comfy. we don't have any of the ones with strings or snaps just the pull over the head.

SAHMhomeschool.gif: to LCjog.gif (6-08) GJsuperhero.gif (3-06) KDREPlaySkateboard04HL.gif (3-04) and a new little on one the way1sttri.gif: and :megan, henrie, and apple and wife to BD for 12years now!!
Old 10-11-2008, 03:55 PM

I am planning to EC from birth so I have tons of gowns (and babylegs) to facilitate nighttime pottying. Snaps and EC don't mix.
Old 10-11-2008, 04:06 PM

Our ds lived in his gowns for the first 2-3 months. So much easier than trying to put pants on a floppy newborn, changing is a breeze, and they're super cute! And we had our ds in his gown in a carseat, I didn't find it to be a problem at all.

Mama to DS (12/11/07) and partner to DH (08/08). Expecting #2 late November 2011!
Old 10-11-2008, 04:12 PM

I love them!!! We used the infant gowns until she grew out of them (and it got too warm, but that was because she was born in April) and now I put her in t-shirt gowns from the EC store and will probably use those for a long time!!! If we're not going anywhere, she may be in a gown all morning, but I change her if we're going out, so the carseat isn't an issue for us.

Kimberly, in love with Hannah Rose! (04/08) EC grad!
Old 10-11-2008, 04:28 PM

I LOVE them!!! My DD wore them for the first six months, or so. Once she started trying to crawl about, I switched her over to a footed one-piece. Gowns are so adorable, make for easy middle-of-the-night dipe changes, and appear to be really comfy for baby.

Libby blahblah.gif, momma to my precious little girl (6/29/07) 
                        and wonderful little man (12/1/10)

Old 10-11-2008, 04:30 PM

Eh, I didn't care for them. They're alright, but unless baby is swaddled they're not very warm for nighttime use. I preferred zippered sleepers.
Old 10-11-2008, 06:17 PM

I want to love them.... but they alwys seem to "ride up" and get twisted and i don't like wrinkles pressing on my newborn. Last one she wore to bed, the neck ended up around her waist because she wiggled through the neck hole... she's only 6.5lbs, so we'll probably try again in a few weeks. I have most of the main brands.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:49 PM

Love 'em.

and that's been a huge bummer because my son grew RAPIDLY and I can't find baby gowns that fit him anymore at 5 months.

we had baby gowns with short sleeves, long sleeves, mittens, matching caps. cute, comfy (i think, ), easy to change diapers, easy to just stick a pair of pants on underneath if it gets really cold.

we liked sleepers too, and we can still use them, although it's getting harder to find non-genderized things in his size (2T).

living light husband wife loving life two sons to birth for our light loving earth. :
Old 10-11-2008, 07:52 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
We loved them and used them for DS until he was 6 months or so (maybe even longer?). We loved the Baby Gap ones because they were longer (DS is tall) and super thin and the snaps at the neck made getting it on easy. DS has always been on the warm side, so we never worried about his feet getting cold, and we co-sleep, so we like that they were lightweight so he didn't get too hot with all of us sharing the covers Personally, I couldn't do snaps for nighttime diapers changes. I was already trying to be so gentle as to not wake him up that unsnapping and then snapping was just asking for him to wake up. And, finding the right snaps while bleary-eyed in the middle of the night with low to no light made me crazy!
Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 PM

Personally, I really hate them. : They always ride up or get all tangled, and I feel like they're colder than suits with legs. The best are the sleepers with zippers, though I haven't been able to find any that zip from bottom to top, which (duh) would make way more sense.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

Old 10-11-2008, 09:39 PM

My first son was a chunk. He was just a fat little baby, and the gowns looked funny on him, so he wore one once.

My second son--he is long and lean, and his body shape worked better with them. So, he wore them at night for the first 6 weeks or so. Until I stopped changing diapers at night. Now, he wears sleepers at night.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:20 PM

Maybe I'm using the wrong gown, I must admit it was hard for me to find gowns where I live for some reason. Mine all had elastic at the bottom so the opening was much smaller, and was not easy to pull up to put the baby in the carseat. And they were all kind of thicker so scrunched up fabric between the buckle and my baby didn't seem like a great idea. Maybe I'll have to get the looser kimono type next time?
Old 10-12-2008, 12:16 AM

My son didn't wear them long. When he was a few weeks old, swaddled and would sit still they were great. Once he started kicking his legs it was over. He either get's his toes/feet stuck inside the fabric (which makes him mad because he can't stretch his leg out) or it bunches up around his waist leaving his legs uncovered. His feet get really cold uncovered and socks will not stay on him.

Now it's footed sleepers with socks.
Old 10-12-2008, 05:53 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy2bamama View Post
We loved them and used them for DS until he was 6 months or so (maybe even longer?).
I don't know many people who use them. They were hard to find in Canada. I see a lot more of them here in the US.

DS is five months and still wearing them. We have a few longer ones, but DS is pretty tall and his feet stick out of the normal sized ones.

I like that the ones with mitts for when we're out. He has a sweater over and pants under, but the mitts keep his hands covered. I also find it easier to wrestle two limbs into clothing than four limbs.

Julie - Mom to Elizabeth (Libby) age 6, Penelope (Penny) age 5, Elliott age 29 months, and Oscar who is 1 year old!
Old 10-12-2008, 06:41 AM

Just another vote for really like them. I have used them with all 4 kids and mine have outgrown them 6 months + (but I have small kiddos). I stopped using them before though because mine get mobile at that age and they were so skinny they were squirming out of them (the whole body through the neck opening LOL)

Mom to:

Three big girls  twins.gif (10) + joy.gif (almost 9!); 

One little boy ROTFLMAO.gif(6) and a full on toddler diaper.gif  (8/12) born with TAPVR heartbeat.gif (repaired at 6 days old).

Old 10-12-2008, 02:57 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChetMC View Post
I don't know many people who use them. They were hard to find in Canada. I see a lot more of them here in the US.

DS is five months and still wearing them. We have a few longer ones, but DS is pretty tall and his feet stick out of the normal sized ones.

I like that the ones with mitts for when we're out. He has a sweater over and pants under, but the mitts keep his hands covered. I also find it easier to wrestle two limbs into clothing than four limbs.
Yes, the mitts were great in the beginning for us. And I swear I'm not being paid by Gap, but theirs had built in mitts you could either use or not use, so that was great (but I think most other brands have that too).
Old 10-12-2008, 03:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I used them with DD1- and they were great since I used CDs on her and didn't splurge on special newborn sized dipes. The diapers I put her in were bulky but it didn't matter when I put her in a gown. I needed to size up on creepers to accomodate the diapers and then they looked kind of silly.

I stopped using the gowns when she got mobile- maybe 4mo? By then the winter was also over and I wanted her in cooler clothes.

I never used them for DD2 because it was just too hot- as an infant she wore onesies and socks when DD1 would have been in a gown. I had a few for DS but I mostly put him in the styles with separate legs, because that's what I had for him. Had I saved all the baby clothes from DD1, I would have used the gowns on him until he outgrew them- which might have been by 2mo since he was so big.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18 (commuting to college), and Jack, 13(homeschooled)
Old 10-12-2008, 06:03 PM
Dea

I love mine. I have different kinds, I prefer the ones that have a wide neck that can just pull on, like a onesie, I have kinds that snap up the front and back, and I much prefer the front snap.
I still use mine and DD is 7.5 months. I find that she's always been warm enough in them, we do co sleep so I can keep tabs on how warm she is.
I'll 2nd zip up sleepers though, I love them and it's not something I would have though of when I was pregnant, zips rather than snaps. I hate to think how many snaps I have snapped in 7.5 months!
(I still prefer nighties over sleepers though)

Deadra, Wife to Adam , Mama to Beatrix (02/08), Hudson (01/10), and Mazarine (12/13)

User Tag List