Swaddling Question - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 9 Old 10-13-2008, 01:28 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For DD's first 6-7 months, she was swaddled every night, all night. DH and I started worrying that she would outgrow the swaddle before she outgrew the need for it, so we "weaned" her from it slowly. But, we didn't do a very good job...at first we were only using it once every week or two. But, sleep regression happened for whatever reason (teething, growth spurt, learning to crawl, walk, talk, clap - her newest skill , etc.). Now at 12+ months we're back to swaddling almost every night. She still wakes 4-5 times/night, and I typically take the swaddle off during one of the early wakings, but she really seems to need it to *go* to sleep. After it's off, sometimes we have to put it back on in the middle of the night because she can't get comfortable and crawls and walks all over the bed until we either swaddle or physically (gently) restrain her and she falls back asleep.

Now, I know that I maybe shouldn't be, but I'm worried that we're creating a "bad habit" that will be increasingly hard to break. Has anyone else swaddled this long (or still have a swaddled baby)? Should I be worried that we're "hurting" her development? She started walking a couple of months ago, so I don't think we are, but I don't know!

She very very rarely needs swaddled for naps - it's almost always at night.

Thanks!

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 9 Old 10-13-2008, 02:02 AM

We swaddled til about 12 mo's and only stopped b/c DD made it obvious suddenly that she was done - no weaning required, she just wouldn't wear it anymore one night. I think it's fine - some LO's just need that pressure to relax. My DD still really struggles to get to sleep at night, b/c she just doesn't settle down easily. My DH has figured out how to give her good pressure, keep her tucked into his side somehow so that she'll relax much more quickly with him. I haven't found a similar method yet unfortunately...

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#3 of 9 Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by justthinkn View Post
We swaddled til about 12 mo's and only stopped b/c DD made it obvious suddenly that she was done - no weaning required, she just wouldn't wear it anymore one night. I think it's fine - some LO's just need that pressure to relax. My DD still really struggles to get to sleep at night, b/c she just doesn't settle down easily. My DH has figured out how to give her good pressure, keep her tucked into his side somehow so that she'll relax much more quickly with him. I haven't found a similar method yet unfortunately...
Thank you! It's so nice to hear that DD isn't the only one who needs to be restrained to go to sleep (haha j/k - she just needs pressure!) Actually, it's weird because she hates having blankets on!

My next question for you...what kind of swaddle blanket did you use? We use the large swaddleme but she can sometimes escape, and almost always gets her legs out because she's too long for it! We've used a twin sized bed sheet before (eek!) but only in a pinch and I'm worried about using one because of all the extra material.

Sarah, loving wife to Michael (9/6/03), SAHM to my big girl Maya "Monkey" Grace (10/5/07) and my baby girl Charlotte "Bugsy" Mae (7/2/09) : :
#4 of 9 Old 10-13-2008, 06:20 PM

Can't remember, one of the target brands... DD liked sleeping on her side, so part of how we did it was that we would put her down on the side with the tabs, so her weight kept them together. And she really just needed it to fall asleep, as you said... In a pinch, we could use a blanket, b/c her arms being secure was the biggest deal.

Since then, we've tried using a weighted blanket, with mixed success. She doesn't like it until she's really really tired, then it can help her make that final relaxation step into sleep. But then it wakes her up later when she wants to wiggle into a new position and can't.

I mention this, b/c others might given how long your baby has wanted to be swaddled. Weighted blankets can often help kiddos with sensory processing needs, which I think my DD might have - nothing scary, just a real need for sensory input, esp. vestibular and proprioception. It may have nothing to do with you guys, but here's a website if you're interested....

http://www.spdfoundation.net/aboutspd.html
http://blog.wired.com/biotech/2007/0...my_chil_3.html
The first half of this article is interesting... I would recommend Sleepless in America as a book, too, for any parent of a sensitive sleeper!

Others also might mention restless leg syndrome as a possible culprit - don't know much about that myself.

*** DH (wed 5/03), DD (6/07), and DS (8/11)
#5 of 9 Old 10-13-2008, 10:41 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you again for your reply! I'll look into the 2 things you listened. Based on the little I just read, I don't *think* she has SPD - she crawled on target and started walking at 10 months. But, I'll have to read some more
RLS sounds more probable - It's actually her legs that seem to need "swaddled" - in the middle of the night, I often have to put my leg over her hips/thighs to help her back to sleep, as she is quite flailey
Either way, she has a ped appointment in 2 weeks, so I'll definitely talk to him about the swaddling (new ped - I would never have mentioned it to the one we are switching from, as he told me that she should have been STTN at 6 months...he would have told me to let her CIO instead of swaddling )

#6 of 9 Old 10-13-2008, 11:10 PM

We are going on 10 months of swaddling nightly and for naps. Over the past month he now wants to be out of the swaddle after the first night waking. But he WILL NOT settle without it for the night. Sometimes no swaddle for naps now but that is recent.

We use the Aden + Anais blankets which are pretty large an wonderfully light soft cotton muslin.

What we do is lay one blanket on top of the other, both of the edges folded down, put him on top then use the first layer to sort of loop around his arms and tuck behind his back, then the second layer wrapped around him traditionally. We've left his legs loose since around 4 months.
#7 of 9 Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 AM
elf

Thank you for asking these swaddling questions---we have all of them. Our girlie is 5 months old and has been swaddled from day 1. I hate to admit this but she has been sleeping through the night since she was 5 weeks old--I am talking 9 hours at first and now 13 hours---and she is BFed! So although I too fear we are too dependent on the swaddle, I am too afraid to take it away b/c of our great sleep situation.
Anyways, I use the best handmade swaddling blanket from

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5581668

Cute fabrics, big and very very functional. The flannel backing makes it kind of sticky so she never comes undone. Gets better and better with each wash. Based on the size I think it is going to be plenty big enough for many many months to come.
#8 of 9 Old 10-14-2008, 01:59 AM

I was just checking this out because I'm still swaddling my 6 month old but we are down to 1 arm and body swaddle now. I'm just wondering how long she can go on like this!

I would second the poster who said look into sensory processing. My son has some sensory issues but not SPD. You said " she just needs pressure! Actually, it's weird because she hates having blankets on!" The difference is when swaddled there is pressure but a blanket over a baby is a light touch instead of a deep touch. Anyway, it might be worth looking into more. I've learned alot but really I feel I'm just skimming the surface and it has been very helpful for my son.
#9 of 9 Old 10-15-2008, 12:30 PM

We swaddled DD every night until around a year. I even swaddled her when she was two and was having trouble falling asleep.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page