what does your 10 month old baby eat? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 19 Old 10-13-2008, 03:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
would you describe a typical day for your infant and what they eat? and will you also say if your LO sleeps through the night or how many hours he/she goes between nursing at night.
my ds is 10 months old and we just started feeding him. i think he might want more food, but i don't know what to give him or how much. i was giving him chunks of avocado or carrots/green beans, some fruit or vegetable, but i'm wondering if i should give him more of a meal.
please let me pick your brains for ideas on what to feed him, breakfast, lunch and dinner. i admit i have been a little lazy because he nurses all the time. i sometimes just give him dinner or breakfast and dinner. he has never had three meals. he will eat anything i put in front of him (or anything he finds on the floor).
i know its not rocket science, but I'm just wanting to know what you all do.
thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 19 Old 10-13-2008, 03:57 PM

My 9.5 month old still isn't that interested in solids. He gets them once maybe twice a day. Usually when we are having dinner he gets small chunks to self feed (hardly any goes in his mouth, he just plays) and I do spoon feed him a little baby food. He likes the food but doesn't tolerate it much because he doesn't want to be fed. And I refuse to force him. I will only give him more if he has his mouth open asking for more. He probably eats a total of 1 - 2 tablespoons of solids a day.

He eats around 9pm and then again about 6 or 7am. He is formula fed on a loose schedule. We have a basic routine but he is fed on demand. So once in a while he wakes up and needs a bottle, but doesn't have a middle of the night bottle most of the time.

If he is eating everything you put in front of him you could try a more meal type of schedule just to see how it goes. You can always scale back if it affects nursing. You can try some whole grains like toast sticks and also add some yogurt. At 10 months some would say you can also try small chunks of meats.
#3 of 19 Old 10-13-2008, 05:25 PM - Thread Starter

thanks! i am actually wondering all this because i want to know when it is "safe" for ds to go more than one hour between nursing during the night. i definitely do not want to stop nursing, but cosleeping and nursing constantly all night long is not working for us. besides my back hurting all the time and holding my pee in until morning (he will not unlatch for me to even go to the bathroom), my husband just told me he will not sleep in our bed with our son (the other night my dh elbowed our ds and he feels horrible about it and is worried it would happen again).
plus my ds is small (like 17 pounds), so i do not want to deprive him of nursing if he needs it at night. but he loves to eat anything and everything. so i thought if i could feed him more consistently and actual meals, i would feel better about him going 6-8 hours without eating.
if not, i will just nurse him every hour in our rocker and keep putting him back in the crib instead of our bed
#4 of 19 Old 10-13-2008, 05:36 PM

I have a 10 month old ds who weights around 16 pounds. He nurses mostly and we feed him food at dinner and this week I started giving him a little lunch too. For lunch he has had some mashed bananas Still chunky) and for dinner sweet potatoes (pureed to chunky), or pear sauce, or rice cereal (he loves it, so I give it to him, but try to alternate so he isnt eating it everyday.) I do spoon feed and he eats about 2 tablespoons at dinner, and a little less at lunch. We also have rice puffs for him to work on feeding himself and to experience new textures.

We also used to co sleep, but I too had a lot of back pain, plus he was nursing constantly and neither of us were sleeping. He now sleeps in a crib and wakes 1-3 times at night, with the occasionaly 4 wwakings which usually coincide with teething. He goes to bed between 7:30 and 8:30. Last night he had a lot of trouble falling asleep, not sure why, and didnt go to be until 9:30, woke at 3:30, nursed, and then slept until 8:30. He didnt nurse in the morning until 9:30 though, because my dad got up with him, but he did just fine.
#5 of 19 Old 10-14-2008, 04:02 AM

I just copied and pasted this from another thread I posted in:
ETA- DS is now just over 10 months and aroud 17.5lbs

My son is 9.5 months and this is what he eats:
(we do a mixture of soft chunks and purees/mashes, so if you are anti-purees, read no further!)

* He eats alot of stuff that many are holding off on like strawberries, tomatoes, wheat etc. He's had no reaction and there are no allergies in our family so I'm comfortable with this.

Breakfast is typically

Fruit Cubes (we blend mango, papaya, plum, melon, berries, dates etc up to a puree and put them in ice cubes every few weeks)
Yoghurt - full cream Activia
and Cereal (gasp!!) we found an organic mix-grain cereal, can't remember whats in in now, but it's something like quinoa, brown rice, oats and barley??
He likes scrambled egg yolks in butter.
He will also munch on organic baby rusks if he wants.

Lunch - he doesn't always eat lunch but we try things like:

Cubes of cheese (big favourite)
Fresh figs,
Grapes (peeled and cubed ) and dipped in HUMMUS yum.
Tiny pieces of wholewheat toast with butter
Plain yoghurt
Pieces of fruit cut up really small
Egg yolks

Dinner- again it's cubes of purees. We do a rotation or mix of the following types of stuff:

Homemade chicken soup (chick, veggies, beans, squash, no salt etc)
Carrots, lentils, cinnamon
Chicken, broccoli, sweetcorn
Spaghetti bolognaise (organic rice pasta for babes, ground beef, tomatoes, garlic, onions)
Mashed potato, cheese, coconut milk, sweetcorn

He will have 3 or 4 blocks of puree and then pieces of whatever we are eating- chicken, veggies, tortillas etc.

He has about 10-15 oz of EBM while I am at work, and nurses on demand whenever he is with me

__________________________________________________ _______

He sleeps through most nights from about 8:30pm - 5 am (wakes for a feed) then back down again till 7:30am and has 2 naps during the day totalling about 3 hours.
#6 of 19 Old 10-14-2008, 09:53 AM

DS is almost 10 months and just eats what we eat minus a few allergens. We don't puree and he's been self-feeding since he started eating. Lately he's been like a bottomless pit in terms of his solids intake and he goes CRAZY if you try to eat anything and don't share.

He doesn't sleep through the night, he nurses anywhere from twice a night to every hour, depending. Honestly, there is NO way I'd be getting up to sit in a rocking chair and nurse a baby every hour, that would be completely exhausting. Of course it's possible that you have one of those rare babies who will sleep longer in their own space so by all means give it a try for a night or two but I'd be having a serious talk with DH about how much harder your nights are going to be if you aren't co-sleeping.

Alison: BFing, BWing, ERFing mama to KidA (12/25/07) and KidO (6/26/10) nocirc.giffamilybed2.gif

#7 of 19 Old 10-14-2008, 10:20 AM

trancechylde - What a great variety!! I WISH I could feed ds like that, but we have had to avoid allergens, as he has had TONS of problems. It must make feeding time much more interesting for your babe. I am so jealous!!
#8 of 19 Old 10-14-2008, 11:27 AM

Here is what we do:

Breakfast-Oatmeal, cherios that he self feeds and some kind of fruit-bananas, apples, generally whatever fruit we have in the refirigerator. He mostly self feeds, however we help him with the oatmeal as he loves it-but still can't use a spoon.

Lunch-whatever we have-the other day he had mashed potatoes. Today he is having some string cheese and probably some pureed carrots.

Dinner-His babysitter generally feeds him. She feeds him whatever she is having for dinner-but she mixes it up and purees it.

He has snacks-generally a teething cookie-or his favorite-Cherios. He also likes cut up apples and rice cakes.

We do give purees but this is because he loves them. My mother started him on Oatmeal and he loves it so much that we just kept giving it to him. Whenever we eat he goes crazy if he doesn't have some. I am nervous about giving him alot to self feed as he tends to put too much in his mouth and choke. So we puree. When he self feeds I give him tiny pieces a little at a time-to prevent choking.

We also bottle feed on the demand. He generally has about 15-20oz during the day. He wakes up about2-3 times a night. We are trying to night ween from the bottle so we give him more water than formula-trying out a trick from the Dr. Sears Baby Book. We do co-sleep because I am also not getting up in the middle of the night to give a bottle. We have his crib sidecarred to the bed and I give him the bottle the same way I would do it if I were nursing.

Karen, mother to a wonderful active three year old.
#9 of 19 Old 10-14-2008, 12:44 PM

My nearly 10 month old (will be 10 mos. in one week) eats solids twice a day. I give her a combination of purees (because she loves them) and finger foods.

Lunch is usually a pureed veg like pumpkin, zucchini, potato, peas, carrots. I add a little olive oil and grated parmiginano reggiano, and sometimes leeks for flavor.

She's half Italian, so she has to have her pastina . (She doesn't like it but papá would not be happy otherwise!) There are lots of pastina choices here so I choose a bigger shape and let her feed herself. She probably eats about a teaspoon of that.

I also give her some grated cheese usually gruyere, grana padano, emmenthaler, (grated using the large holes) that she feeds herself. Maybe she eats half a teaspoon of that.

I also give her some fresh or pureed fruit too. She has eaten fresh figs, pears, bananas, plums, apples, apricots, peaches, melon, watermelon, well lots of fruits.

All together, she probably eats about 3-4 oz.

At dinner, she just has some fruit or pureed veg, maybe 3 oz. She's only been eating solids at dinner for the past month.

I'd been preparing the purees ahead of time and freezing them, but once our current stock is depleted, I'm going to start giving her soft chunks because she really has become much more interested in the finger foods I offer her. Also, I want to give her meat and pureed meat is just really yucky.

She nurses for the last time in the evening between 9 and 10 PM and then for the first time in the morning between 7 and 8 AM. She often (50% of the time) wakes up once during the night but doesn't nurse, she falls back asleep once I pick her up (she sleeps in a crib in our bedroom.)

Trancechylde- the Activia- is that a Danon yogurt that comes in the green package? I want to give yogurt to dd but I haven't been able to find any without sugar here (Italy). I hadn't looked at Activia though because it's marketed here in a strange way...it's hard to explain.
#10 of 19 Old 10-15-2008, 03:00 AM

Quote:
trancechylde - What a great variety!! I WISH I could feed ds like that, but we have had to avoid allergens, as he has had TONS of problems. It must make feeding time much more interesting for your babe. I am so jealous!!
Matey- yes we are quite lucky in that our family is 100% allergy free for as far back as anyone can remember. We started slowly with the "danger" ones, just a lick here and there, but he seems to have the constitution of an ox!

I LOVE feeding him...seeing his reaction with all the new foods is priceless. He hasn't met a meal he didn't like so far

Quote:
Trancechylde- the Activia- is that a Danon yogurt that comes in the green package? I want to give yogurt to dd but I haven't been able to find any without sugar here (Italy). I hadn't looked at Activia though because it's marketed here in a strange way...it's hard to explain.
Pear-shaped- yes the Activia is in a green package and is a Danone product. They have the fruit flavours here but I haven't looked at them to be honest, (though I'm sure they are full of sugar).. we just use the plain ones and add our own fresh fruit. I like this yoghurt because it's rich and creamy (lots of calories) and also has live cultures which are good for the gut. He absolutely LOVES it- and I think he actually prefers it plain out of the tub to mixed with cereal and fruit, but I like him to have a variety of tastes
#11 of 19 Old 10-15-2008, 03:03 AM

When my dd was ten months she didn't care about solids at all and she did not sleep through the night.

She didn't sleep through the night until she was about 3 1/2 or so

Not all those who wander are lost 
#12 of 19 Old 10-15-2008, 11:00 AM

My 9.5 month old eats A TON. I mean a ton. She nurses a lot, too. She's about 22 pounds. She eats 3 "meals" a day, and sometimes a small snack if we are eating when she's not. She flips out if she sees food and doesn't get any of it. She wakes up usually once (sometimes twice) a night to nurse. During the day I'd say she nures on average about 5 or 6 times, just whenever she wants and before naps.

For meals she has been eating finger foods like green beans, peas, squash, broccoli, banana, pear, carrots, black beans, etc. We just started grains this week and she will have a little whole wheat pasta or some brown rice. We also just started giving her a little meat every now and then. She's also tried yogurt twice. So, mostly just fruits and veggies.... but a lot of them. Like really I will steam a bag of frozen organic broccoli and she will eat half the bag. Same with peas and green beans, too. She loves green veggies for some reason.

Not sure if that helps or not but that is what we do. She's a little piggy. But she's also full time walking so she uses a lot of calories.

Mama to (DS 7) and (DD 5), wife to DH

#13 of 19 Old 10-15-2008, 04:17 PM

DS is 10 months and he usually has fruit (Gerber or Parent's Choice) mixed with cereal (oatmeal) and a spoonful of plain yogurt for breakfast. He LOVES it! : But sometimes, DH and I have biscuits or pancakes and eggs and sausage, and he eats that with us. For lunch, we do cut up turkey and cheese, or chicken pot pie (chicken, veggies, etc.) or leftovers from dinner. Or an occasional half of a corny dog. : He usually eats what we eat, if it's not spicy. The only things I'm holding back on are honey (until over 1 year) and peanut butter/nuts. And citrus fruits. He eats everything else great and has had no reactions to anything yet. (He's been eating like this for over 2 months.)

I applaud the mommies who can puree all the neat fruits and veggies for baby. Maybe I'll do that one day, but for now, DS loves whatever we eat, plus his storebought fruit. He won't eat the jarred creamed veggies and meals now that he's had them like we eat them. Which works fine for us.

Hope this helps!

Happy wife and also mommy to my two boys, 12-12-07 (c-sec) and 04-05-09 (vbac!) and another due in December.
#14 of 19 Old 10-17-2008, 10:27 AM

Breakfast is usually scrambled eggs, waffles, pancakes, something like that (whatever the rest of the family is eating). We'll have a midmorning snack of raisins or something similar. Lunch will be pasta, fish, or something along those lines, and we're big on peanut butter and jelly sandwiches too; and dinner is usually seafood or chicken with pastas and veggies.

It's hard for me to say what she eats, because it's just whatever the rest of the family is having. I don't prepare anything special or different, I don't restrict anything, there's nothing she can't have.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#15 of 19 Old 10-17-2008, 04:43 PM

When DS was 10 months he was eating a lot of what we were eating. Breakfast would be mostly fruit and cereal. For dinner we would give him what we were having, usually with some fruit or steamed veggies on the side. For the most part we weren't feeding it to him- he loved doing it himself.

Kirsten, mama to Monkey since May 2007 and Bean born 11/7/09
#16 of 19 Old 10-19-2008, 02:28 PM

DD is nearly 9.5 month's old and is sort of into solid (finger) foods, but isn't a big fan of purees, never was.

For breakfast, oatmeal with dried apricots, cranberries and ground flax. Pieces of fruit--raw apple, watermelon, banana, whatever I have that day. No tropical fruits yet.

For lunch -- a green veggie (peas, beans, broccoli), a protein (white fish, chicken) I haven't introduced egg yolks and red meat yet, but I'm going to soon. Cheese such as labneh, yogurt (but because it's like a puree, she seems to like the taste but not the texture.)

For supper--sometimes I give her a little snack-- a piece of fruit, but not a specific meal yet.

When I'm out, I'll order something at a restaurant that has foods in it DD can eat. She hasn't had any reaction yet--ie she had some chicken and cooked carrots off an Indonesian dish I ate the other day. No nuts in it, but still...probably lots of salt. :

She BFs otherwise and does so about 2 or 3 times a night.
#17 of 19 Old 10-21-2008, 02:34 AM

wow i've still got another month to go till 10 months but there is no way my list will be anything like this. we are still 99% breastmilk - in fact *just* introduced some squash and avocado for fun and taste - i don't plan on preparing meals anytime soon. she sleeps great (co sleeps but never wakes - i might have to nurse her in the morning but just if i want to sleep another hour) and is growing like a weed (in fact i wish she'd slow down! haha) my ds didn't really eat until a couple months after his 1st birthday and he was (and is) HUGE (and has no problem eating any food now) Of course BM is more nutrient dense then any food so maybe i should back off..

regarding dannon activia - i want to say all yogurts have active cultures - best to find one with the least and purest ingredients. do a google search or read the Traditional foods forum here for some threads on this subject. It's just a marketing (ploy? genius?) by Dannon. I don't think I gave yogurt before a year last time...(isn't it not recommended?) no plans to start that before a year this time either. would rather she fill her belly with bm. though my older son now eats enough yogurt daily to keep stonyfield in business. honestly i think he might have to talk to someone...or enter a program or something...

: totally blessed mother of 2
#18 of 19 Old 10-22-2008, 10:51 PM

My dd is ten months old tomorrow - she weighs 26 lbs.

I'm just going to modify someone else's post because it was pretty close to what we are currently doing!

We did purees for a long time (six months till about nine months)

ETA - she has sensory/texture issues and is being followed by a team (OT, paed, speech pathologist, specialist, etc) because at one point she refused everything by mouth and was given IV fluids; purees are our friend, but she's getting much better with help - it's still hit or miss

She is formula fed on demand - currently taking about 40 oz a day

She has GERD so is also taking Prevacid and is NOT a good sleeper (think, awake 5 - 6 times a night crying) and severe sensory issues

She likes a sippy of water on the floor during the day and in her bed at night

Breakfast is typically

organic multi grain baby cereal with fruit or yogurt/fruit

Lunch

cheese, pasta, fruit, rusks, cheerios

Dinner - similar to what we're having, just torn into smaller pieces

soup, veggies, meat, rice, pasta, all just torn into smaller pieces

She's still also spoon fed strained/pureed foods with meals. She likes it, we like it, sometimes she eats the whole jar, sometimes it's two bites. I'm currently feeding her the Earth's Best brand.

Full time working mom to two bright and busy little girls! treehugger.gif
#19 of 19 Old 10-23-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pear-shaped View Post

Lunch is usually a pureed veg like pumpkin, zucchini, potato, peas, carrots. I add a little olive oil and grated parmiginano reggiano, and sometimes leeks for flavor.

She's half Italian, so she has to have her pastina . (She doesn't like it but papá would not be happy otherwise!) There are lots of pastina choices here so I choose a bigger shape and let her feed herself. She probably eats about a teaspoon of that.

I also give her some grated cheese usually gruyere, grana padano, emmenthaler, (grated using the large holes) that she feeds herself. Maybe she eats half a teaspoon of that.

I also give her some fresh or pureed fruit too. She has eaten fresh figs, pears, bananas, plums, apples, apricots, peaches, melon, watermelon, well lots of fruits.
Yum! I'll have what your baby is having.
DS, who is almost ten months, eats a lot of fruit and veg, some fish and chicken, cheerios, egg yolk, a little bit of wheat usually in the form of tortillas or pasta, yogurt, cheese (he loves cheese, much like his mama), and I keep on meaning to try oatmeal. We don't do purees, since he's fine with chunks.
I don't think I've ever sat him down for three meals in one day, mostly out of laziness on my part. I am trying to make mealtime more routine, though.
DS tends to nurse before bed around 8:30, wake up again to nurse around 11-ish, and then sleep through until morning. Often he'll wake up to nurse at 6 or so and go back to sleep. I think if he was nursing every hour at ten months, I'd be past my personal limit.

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page