5mo naps...what's normal? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-13-2008, 05:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm having a hard time getting my 5 month old to nap. He usually falls asleep while nursing, but once I transfer him to his crib, he "wakes up", usually with a big grin on his face, as if he's saying, "I won again mommy!" Sometimes he'll stay asleep, but only for about 15-30 minutes. I try to stick to a pretty regular nap schedule (9am and 1pm) - if he misses one, we try again an hour or two later. Some days I feel like all we're doing is *trying* to nap! He's happy but rubs his eyes a lot.

He sleeps great at night - we have a bedtime routine that starts between 6:30 - 7pm (bath, book, nurse, bed) and it works great. He usually wakes up for one feeding around 3am, then is back to sleep until about 6:30 or 7am. We're thankful that he sleeps well at night, but the no napping during the day is wearing me out. I work from home and find it hard to do it while he's awake because I feel like I'm ignoring him.

Am I obsessing too much about his daytime sleep??? What's normal for a 5 month old?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2008, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
That's hard -- I WAH too, and it'd be really hard if DD didn't take long naps! She's 5 months, and she usually naps for about 2 hours in the morning and 2 hours in the afternoon, then sleeps from 7pm to 6am. She's really easy to transfer, though, from either breast to crib or car to crib. DS wasn't like that at all -- he'd be wide awake the moment I tried to transfer him.

Have you tried nursing your DS side-lying and then slipping away once he goes to sleep? Maybe put pillows around him on the bed to prevent falls, or put the mattress directly on the floor?

Or are you able to nurse/work while wearing a sling? I've never gotten the hang of that, but some people seem to be able to do it, and then you'd be able to get some work done while your DS sleeps on you.

Good luck -- I know how hard it is to WAH and care for little ones.

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 10-13-2008, 06:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by limabean View Post
Have you tried nursing your DS side-lying and then slipping away once he goes to sleep? Maybe put pillows around him on the bed to prevent falls, or put the mattress directly on the floor?

I definitely think you should try this suggestion. With my DD it's next to impossible to transfer her anywhere after she's fallen asleep, and if I try and she wakes up there's NO getting her back to sleep. Having her nurse to sleep on a twin mattress on the floor and then quietly slipping away is the only thing that works for us. Good luck!!!
Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 PM - Thread Starter

I have tried nursing side-lying and slipping away once he's asleep, but it hasn't worked lately. And then sometimes I end up falling asleep too! Is it possible some babies just don't need as much sleep?
Old 10-13-2008, 07:10 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by misses_b View Post
I have tried nursing side-lying and slipping away once he's asleep, but it hasn't worked lately. And then sometimes I end up falling asleep too! Is it possible some babies just don't need as much sleep?
It's definitely possible; I was just trying to offer suggestions because it sounds like you need to have time during the day to get work done. If your DS just isn't into napping, could you hire a mother's helper or something for a few hours a day so that you could get some work done?

DH+Me 1994 heartbeat.gif DS 2004 heartbeat.gif DD 2008 heartbeat.gif DDog 2014
Old 10-13-2008, 08:15 PM

This sounds very much like my 5.5 month old daughter. She only takes naps for half an hour at a time usually except for sometimes one long one later in the day. She fights naps like the dickens too. I often have to wait a while before she will really get sleepy. I find trying sooner is a waste of my time and energy and I get upset trying to force the issue. His night time sleep sounds fantastic. I wish we had that. How wonderful that you have a happy baby! But I can really commisserate on the exhausted mom thing.

Mama to DD1 4/08fly-by-nursing1.gif and DD2 10/10 bfinfant.gifcd.gifcat.gif
Old 10-14-2008, 12:39 AM

My 5.5 month old is a horrible napper, she will only nap if I lay down with her or if she's in her carseat drving somewhere. Luckily I'm a SAHM and all of my other kids are at school during the day so I can lay down with her and nap too. She loves to nurse laying down so sometimes I can get her asleep and then slip away but if she wakes up and I'm not there she freaks out.
Old 10-14-2008, 04:28 AM

DS is coming up five months and he has about three naps a day?

We don't really have a schedule. I just put him down when he's tired.

I swaddle him, then nurse him until he starts sucking then stopping, sucking then stopping. I'll then rock him for a minute and lay him down in the bassinette. Sometimes he starts to stir when I put him down but I'll just lay my hand on his stoamch and rock and shush until he goes off again. If he gets upset I pick him up and repeat the process.

I find that if he gets over tired getting him to sleep and then being able to put him down is a nightmare. He gets twitchy and can't seem to relax.

It's complicated.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:55 AM

my 5 mo sleeps best on my back. occasionally she'll stand for being put down, but mostly she seems to need the warmth and contact with me. so i just pop her on my back and go about my day.

a bit OT, but i have to hand it to WAHM's - i can barely manage the basics half the time, and i have a pile of sewing projects sitting here looking at me that just keeps growing i can't imagine being able to do actual work on top of the mommy/household stuff every single day. y'all are amazing

User Tag List