Is "cradle cap" itchy? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-13-2008, 11:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
DS2 is three months and a week old. About two weeks after birth, his scalp erupted in a terrible case of baby acne (like, hundreds of pus-y whiteheads). After about three weeks, they started busting and going away on their own, and as this happened, he developed a horrible case of cradle cap. The only thing I did was put olive oil on his head, and leave it there for about 15 minutes, before tossing him into a warm bath, and gently scrubbing with the 'scratchy' side of the baby facecloth. It helped, but only a little. I otherwise left it alone. It took almost the next two months for it to go away. Then his head was clear for about a week before he started to develop cradle cap again. This time he scratches and picks at it. Maybe it's because he couldn't figure out his hands to do that before; but now he's picking at his head until it leaves little bleed spots. What's up with this? Is cradle cap itchy, or might this be something else? What do I do for him? I feel so bad, poor little guy!

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#2 of 4 Old 10-13-2008, 11:43 PM

My DD has exactly this. Was cradle cap that went away with olive oil, then it appears to be trying to come back. She still scratches at her head now so I have to keep her nails really short and she wears mittens when asleep.

Coconut oil has helped clear it a bit, but the itch is still there. Sorry I cant be of more help

Mama to DD Feb '08 (9lbs), DS Oct '10 (10lbs) hbac.gif, DD Jan '13 hbac.gif

#3 of 4 Old 10-14-2008, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

What about Tea Tree Oil....?

WARNING: The comments and opinions expressed above do not necessarily reflect those of the community in which I reside; or those of the internet parenting network.
#4 of 4 Old 10-14-2008, 10:17 AM

Could be eczema. What we thought was severe cradle cap was actually eczema and was cleared when I eliminated dairy from my diet (EBF). I dont know if this is the case for you, but I know there are a lot of mamas who have had this problem. BTW, eczema does itch.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page