My baby rolled off the bed - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 11:49 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
And I feel like the WORST MOMMY EVER!!!! I put DD on our bed yesterday evening like I always do and turned around for a split second to get her a toy or something and she rolled off the bed, landing on her back on our hardwood floors. It was the most horrible sound ever. She is fine, the pediatrician was very reassuring, and I know it happens to everyone and babies are squishy so that they can take these things, but I am still totally shaken up about it. It doesn't help that she is also cutting her first teeth. Poor baby
#2 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 AM

You are a good mama! I know it is a terrible feeling, but it happenes to everyone.

Hugs to you and your little one.
#3 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 11:53 AM

You're not the worst mommy ever....I think we're all bound to have somthing like that happen. Glad she's OK!
#4 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 12:07 PM

FWIW, there are threads like this ALL THE TIME!

I responded to one a few weeks ago in which I confessed that my baby fell off the bed TWICE in one day. The first time while I was on MDC reading a thread about someone's baby falling off the bed. And yes--the second time after reading the thread AND having her fall off. :

She's no worse for wear, btw.

read.gifSarah ~ wild.gifds X 12/05 ~ flower.gifdd E 3/08 h20homebirth.gif  ~  stork-suprise.gif 7/12 dizzy.gif

#5 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 12:20 PM

Same thing happened to me when ds was younger. He had just started rolling, I put him on the bed as usual, but didnt think for that split second he was going anywhere. Off he went, onto the hard wood floors. I turned around in time to see him hit the floor and grabbed him up so fast, he hadnt even started crying. Then he did start crying and I started crying. What a mess! I felt horrible, but all is well and there does not appear to be any long term damage. Dont beat yourself up mama, it seems to be very common.
#6 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 12:25 PM

This is why I put my mattress on the floor. My oldest son rolled off the bed once when I turned around to grab a shirt from the laundry basket. I was one step away. It was awful. We put the mattress on the floor and never worried about it again.

Live and love with your whole being.
#7 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 02:15 PM

My older DS fell off the bed, twice! The 2nd time I was within arms reach but just didn't catch him in time.

And little DS2 scooched off once when he was only a few months old, now I have strict strict guidelines because I really don't want anything to happen again! He had fallen asleep in our bed, I put pillows between him and the edge and turned the monitor on. I was downstairs and didn't even hear him awake but he scooched right over to the edge, pushed the pillows off and fell. Of course it's always the tallest bed in the house and onto hardwood floors! Hearing "Thump!" then crying is never good!
I just had that sick feeling in the pit of my stomach for days and days. Obviously both boys are fine but still!

DH and I - totally winging life with our four children, DS1 (6.5yrs), DS2 (5yrs), DD (3yrs) and DS3 (1)!

#8 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 03:02 PM

Both of my oldest fell off the bed! They are just so fast sometimes! I SWEAR that it won't happen this time with this baby, but you never know! I just hope I CAN keep her from falling off! It's a HORRIBLE feeling, isn't it?

HUGS momma!

Wife to Kevin (8-1-98)
: Proud Momma to Katelyn (4-02), Calvin (4-06), and Ashley (7-08) :
#9 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 03:09 PM

BTDT. My baby fell off my desk at 2.5 months old when I turned my back. My mom gave me the best advice regarding babies falling off things: (1) babies can't fall off the floor and (2) always keep a hand on your baby if you must take your eyes off the baby. It seems like such simple and obvious advice, but it has made all the difference and I'm sure saved us from any more falls. If you're co-sleeping I second the advice about putting the mattress on the floor or installing guardrails all the way around the bed (I believe they make guardrails that can be hidden under the mattress when not in use).

Don't feel guilty though, I think most--if not all--moms have been there.

Drew, mom to Ben (1-7-08), expecting another wonderful babe 4-1-10 via .
#10 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 03:16 PM

You're right--it happens to virtually everyone, myself included. Try not to beat yourself up--sounds like your LO is fine.
#11 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 03:22 PM

Awww...

Here's what you do. Get a blank piece of notebook paper, and number this "1". See the rest of the sheet? Yup other lines will get filled in before this child moves away.

You're fine! It happens!!

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#12 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 03:50 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks mamas! I've been just ill over this since it happened and while logically I know that it happens to everyone, it still sucks. She's no worse for the wear and I just want to get home from work and hold her. This is just the poop icing on a pretty crappy couple of weeks.
#13 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 03:53 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
All 3 of my children have rolled off the bed at least once during their infancies. None were seriously hurt (more scared than hurt and fine after a few minutes) and all are healthy and thriving today at almost 7, 12, and almost 14.

Ruth, single mommy to Leah, 19, Hannah, 18, and Jack, 12
#14 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 04:12 PM

This happened to me TWICE this past weekend while we were at a hotel. At home we have a bedrail, but no such luck at the hotel of course. Once she was wide awake and playing, and I literally "just turned my back for a second" (and thought my mom was watching too, which she wasn't), and the second time was in the middle of the night. I swear she had been SOUND asleep in the middle of the bed when I got up to go to the bathroom, thinking I might see if she wanted to nurse when I returned, and lo, from the bathroom there was a terrible cry! She stopped crying within just a few minutes of comfort, though, and was fine after, and in the morning, and ever since.

Cheer up mama, I was reeling from it too, but they really, truly are very resilient. Your babe is FINE!
#15 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 05:29 PM

I hope you are feeling better about this today. It really does happen to everyone. I remember too well the fear when my DD had her fall
#16 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 05:53 PM

It happens to the best of us! Glad she's okay.

Lisa - mama to Eleanor Rose 01/08 and Saoirse Lily 09/10
#17 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 08:56 PM

It's okay, I know exactly how you feel!! My DS fell off the bed last week, he's just doing his G.I. Joe crawl, he was asleep, I went into the kitchen to stir dinner and when I came back he was falling off the bed, I felt like a horrible mommy too. THEN, just a couple of days ago he woke up before me and crawled to the end of the bed and almost fell again! Thank goodness mothers intuition kicked in and I opened my eyes just in time, had I not been half awake he'd probably fell off again. It happens to ALL of us, when it happened the first time I felt like I was alone, and the only mommy who would let such a thing happen, unintentionally of course.
#18 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 11:04 PM

I've been holding my breath waiting for my baby to fall off, but so far he hasn't. But I have started checking on him a lot more when he's asleep... this is such a hard age, when they're starting to move but don't realize they need to be careful!

I'm sure your baby will be just fine.

Christian wife, busy happy mama to 4yo DS, 3yo DD, 15mo DS, and #4, expected next spring!

#19 of 22 Old 10-17-2008, 11:20 PM

the same thing happened to me for the first time on Wednesday!
ds is on the bed and i go to the dining room for a second getting ready for his 4 month checkup and i hear "THUMP!" i couldnt believe my ears but ran into the room and he was face down on the floor. he screamed for a good 5 minutes. poor baby. i felt horrible and like the worse mom too. luckily doc checked him out that day and he was A OK.

it's ok, apparently it happens a lot.
#20 of 22 Old 10-18-2008, 07:06 AM

My 8 month old DD fell today too! I changed her diaper and was putting it into the pail when I heard a "THUD!". I thought she kicked my laptop off the bed. Then a few seconds of silence then she started crying. She landed on her back and she was mostly shaken up, but not hurt. I picked her up and she calmed down in a few seconds. I was surprised that she calmed dwn quickly, but then our floor in the bedroom is carpeted and the bed is low, so I guess it wasn't painful for her. But I felt soooo bad for her because she was shaken up! And yeah I did feel like a bad mom !
#21 of 22 Old 10-18-2008, 01:26 PM

me luxlove.gif+ dh kewl.gif= dd reading.gif , ds mischievous.gif , ds2 biggrinbounce.gif, dd2 baby.gif

#22 of 22 Old 10-18-2008, 01:49 PM

My DD feel off the bed twice, and once was kind of bad. She also lunged forward off a baby sized rocking chair and hit her head on a dresser

I felt terrible but kept watch on her and she was fine. And she is now 18 months and doing great, and no bad side effects. I myself rolled off the bed when I was around 6 months and my sister said her hubby sat on one of her kids heads! She was laying on the couch napping and he sat down without looking. Oh, she has 4 kids, she has tons of stories. I told her about my DD and she said it happened a lot and babies are much more resilient than we think.

Mommy to 2 beautiful girls dust.gif4/07 and babyf.gif1/11

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page