What's on roof of my baby's mouth? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 10-22-2008, 06:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My 6-mo has a cold. She's not all that irritable, but she's got a stuffy nose which is also giving her weepy eyes. Anyhow, this afternoon I was clearing her nose with the blue nose sucker & I noticed something on the roof of her mouth. After closer inspection, I see it's this long (about an inch), narrow, rectangle-shaped whitish/gray patch. The center of the patch is more white, the edges are darker gray. It's rather freaky looking and I'm not sure what to do.. DD (2.5-yo) also has a cold but her mouth is fine. There are no other patches/spots on her tongue or anywhere else in her mouth, and it doesn't seem to be bothering her too much, at least that I can tell. We started solids (some veggie and fruit purees) a couple weeks ago -- not sure if that is relevant or not. Could it be thrush? She had just a touch of it, on her tongue only, when she was younger.

I tried calling the dr to see if I should bring her in, but he's gone for the day so I was told to bring her in for urgent care if I have worries. She does have a well visit scheduled for Monday, so I'm really just wondering if this is something that I should be bringing her in for sooner, or if it can wait another 5 days. I am breastfeeding so I'm a little worried that it might be something that I can catch on my breast.Anyone know what this might be?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 4 Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 AM

Dunno ... could it be thrush?

Jen, journalist, policy wonk, and formerly a proud single mama to my sweet little man Cyrus, born at home Dec. 2007 . Now married to my Incredibly Nice Guy and new mama to baby Arthur.
#3 of 4 Old 10-23-2008, 12:12 AM

My guess would be thrush.

Homeschooling mama to DD 3/28/06 reading.gif,  DS 2/27/10 coolshine.gif, Belle the Orange Dog 03/11, and DD babygirl.gif 10/03/2013.
#4 of 4 Old 10-23-2008, 12:16 AM

Epstein's pearls — These small, white, pearl-like spots appear on the roof of the mouth. These bumps are harmless and tend to disappear within a few weeks.

with love, bailey...
macey 5.18.08

User Tag List