green mucous in poop? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-25-2008, 12:38 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
My LO is EBF and 2 months old. He started having greenish poop about a week ago. This has seemed to coincide with him being more crabby. Our pedi recommended probiotics and we just started yesterday.

Today the poop was mucousy and he slept ALL DAY! I'm wondering if he has a cold/virus or something?

Any ideas would be helpful. The doctor said they would culture the poop if he still has it next week.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-25-2008, 12:55 AM

My babe had the green poops around that same age. I thought it was my letdown, but I think it just coincided with a cold. She was snotty and I am sure a lot of that made it's way down into her gut.

I wouldn't stress out too bad about that green poop, it will go back to normal soon...hers took a few weeks.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:56 PM

could also be an intolerance to something you are eating
(milk, soy are most common) but a culture will tell you that (blood in poo) if it doesn't go away.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:03 AM

It could indicate a food sensitivity. Dairy is the most common one.

Green, watery stools can also indicate a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance.

My 8 month old had a few days of green, mucusy stools and I couldn't figure out what was going on. I hadn't eaten anything new and her nursing patterns hadn't changed. It went away after a few days. I never determined the cause.
Old 10-28-2008, 01:56 PM

I heard and read that green poop caused by hindmilk/foremilk imbalance would have what looks like parsely flakes in it.

My DS had the green mucousy poop for about 4 weeks starting at your son's age. I worried, cut down on dairy, checked with the doctor (who wasn't concerned), etc... then one day it just went away! Might have been a virus, or just a stage his system was going through, I don't know. I discovered what a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance looked like a couple of weeks ago (I saw the "parsely flakes", and it's definitely not what it looked like during the mystery period.

I looked at this page over and over during that time, maybe it will help: http://www.drjaygordon.com/developme...ricks/poop.asp

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

Old 10-28-2008, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JolieSolange View Post
I discovered what a hindmilk/foremilk imbalance looked like a couple of weeks ago (I saw the "parsely flakes", and it's definitely not what it looked like during the mystery period.
[/url]
Where did you read about the "parsley flakes"?? My LO has had green poops with leafy looking things in it and I have yet to come across anything to explain it. The leafy things are so weird and I'm dying to figure out what they are. Its hard to understand breast milk begetting leafy things, kwim?

TIA
Old 10-29-2008, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trayls View Post
Where did you read about the "parsley flakes"?? My LO has had green poops with leafy looking things in it and I have yet to come across anything to explain it. The leafy things are so weird and I'm dying to figure out what they are. Its hard to understand breast milk begetting leafy things, kwim?

TIA
Hmm, I actually heard about it from a lot of moms on another board, and I've seen it myself, but I just did a search and can't find any articles about it! I'll post back if I find anything more concrete.

Amy, mom to E superhero.gifsince April 2008 and C babyboy.gif since October 2011, wife to P since September 2006.

User Tag List