Huggies "Natural" wipes warning - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 40 Old 10-30-2008, 05:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
What are parabens?

Also, where is the cosmetic database? Thanks!

A friend recommended water and cheap baby washcloths for wipes, so I will probably try that and perhaps get 7th Gen or 365 for the diaper bag.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#32 of 40 Old 10-30-2008, 06:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookAMH View Post
What are parabens?

Also, where is the cosmetic database? Thanks!

A friend recommended water and cheap baby washcloths for wipes, so I will probably try that and perhaps get 7th Gen or 365 for the diaper bag.
The cosmetics database that I use is www.cosmeticsdatabase.com. It's awesome.

To answer your question about parabens, they are preservatives found in lots of (if not most of) cosmetics and skin products. There has been lots of concern lately about their safety. Here is a link to info about them on the cosmetics database...

http://www.cosmeticsdatabase.com/ing...y%3Dparaben%26

And here's a link to an article I bookmarked a while ago that talks about parabens being found in cancerous tumors.

http://www.health-report.co.uk/parabens.htm

Personally, I don't know how dangerous parabens are, but since simply switching to products without them is a option, I'd rather be safe than sorry. And, IMO, using a product with parabens once in a while is not a big deal - I'm all about moderation of most things - but, when you start reading the labels of shampoos, creams, etc., it's scary to realize most of us are using them everyday (without really knowing it).

BTW - I just looked up our Burt's Bees Baby Shampoo to see what the rating on that was and it's a 4, which I'm not totally satisfied with. I looked at the least toxic baby shampoos and the one I looked at more in depth scored a 0, but then when you read about it, it shows that one of their ingredients (soybean oil) has been linked to cancer - so who knows??! Even the least toxic one at a 0 is still questionable? I guess it's just a matter of what's the least risky.

Sometimes I don't know if having all this information is a blessing or a curse
#33 of 40 Old 10-30-2008, 07:28 PM

I made my own cloth wipes using some of the flannel receiving blankets ds had laying around. It was easy to do and free b/c we already had the blankets.

Jess  SAHM to Daniel  (09/07) and Samuel  (06/10)and Katie Lee (11/11) we're with #4 edd 4/15 Wifey to my "geek" : David  for 14 yrs. ( 4/09 @ 19 weeks).
#34 of 40 Old 10-30-2008, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear207 View Post
the other week i was at the store- and while i try to use cloth wipes sometimes disposalbles are easier IMO- and looked at huggies because of priceing but decided to read the label OMG the ingrediants are scary! so i ended up paying up for 7th gen (and trying to get my cloth wipe system down)
Our cloth wipe system is SOOOOOOOOOO easy, so I'm going to pass it along. We just use those cheapy baby wash cloths (no hemmed edges or anything fancy), and we fold them up inside the diaper (we have BG 3.0 pockets). Then when we need to change a diaper, we don't have to searching for a the cloth wipe. And we just use plain water for our wipes... so you can wet the cloth either in the closest sink or if you're out and about, have a water bottle to pour some water on the wipe. Then the dirty wipe and diaper both go into our dirty diaper tote bag and get done in the same load of laundry.

mommy to Christopher 2/29/08
#35 of 40 Old 10-31-2008, 01:23 AM

We also use cloth wipes and have found the easiest and best is to cut squares of fleece (from blankets, fabric store, thrift store) and use water to clean up. No need to hem the fleece, it doesn't fray. It's really no big deal to wash them, and our diaper pail doesn't stink unless I open the lid -- honest!

Mama to 4 girls    chicken3.gif5/05, 12/07, 9/09, 3/11   winner.jpghomeschool.gifhomebirth.jpg

#36 of 40 Old 10-31-2008, 04:52 AM

a lot of my cloth wipes are dh's old tshirts cut up..
#37 of 40 Old 10-31-2008, 05:38 AM

Saw some people asking about alt wipes.. We did cloth originally but now we use disposable wipes, I can not keep up with the laundry as is and we need a new machine we're using a 20$ OLD machine that I got off of craigslist when ours broke.

I dont like the chemicals so I get soft paper towels[Viva], cut the roll in half so I have two smaller rolls.
Next I pull the cardboard roll out.
I use an old wipes container[We threw the wipes out as they gave DD a rash,]
I put DISTILLED water, tsp Dr Bronners, drop of tea tree oil[stops mold growth, well I think so]
Put the wipes in and there you have homemade wipes with less chemicals!

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#38 of 40 Old 10-31-2008, 09:04 AM

we use 7th gen....we use the subscribe & save through amazon & get it at a discount...we have amazon prime so shipping is free.

goorganic.jpgwife to footinmouth.gif, currently WOH and geek.gif on my doctorate. (I'm dissertating!) We: novaxnocirc.giftoddler.gifgd.giffamilybed1.gif  with DS (4/09)!
#39 of 40 Old 10-31-2008, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
we use 7th gen....we use the subscribe & save through amazon & get it at a discount...we have amazon prime so shipping is free.
Nice! Shipping is actually free on those subscribe & save items even without prime . I've used on a few items. The savings is great.

Alicia, wife to an loving and faithful DH, and mama to three fantastic though nutty children (cs, then an HBAC, then a VBAC!!).
#40 of 40 Old 11-03-2008, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by New_Natural_Mom View Post
Do they really send you 12 of the 80 count wipes in the plastic wrapping?
No dispenser ?

April thankful mommy to my boys Big Red 3/06 Little Z 9/08 and happily awaiting the arrival of 10/10 :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page