Is there any reason not to give your baby a vitamin D supplement? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 10-29-2008, 11:59 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I keep thinking my baby probably gets enough sun so she doesn't need a supplement, but my mom thinks I should give her one just to be on the safe side. Her argument is that it won't hurt her.

Is there any medical reason not to give the supplement that anyone knows of?
#2 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 12:07 AM

I never did for either baby because I just don't believe that breastmilk is suddenly deficient in nutrients.

If you do decide to supplement with a vitamin, make sure to read the ingredients. Many of the supplement drops marketed to infants are full of filler & artificial garbage.

Tweet me: @kellynaturally Working Mom to 2 Montessori-schooled kids. We're a vegetarian family! I blog at kellynaturally.com <--link in my profile!

#3 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 12:25 AM

I didn't with my first, and am supplementing VitD with my DS after mroe thinking/research.
I live fairly far north, and I can truly say that even though we're outside a fair bit, I don't think it's enough. I do not think breast milk is "deficient" in any way, but I think they research is compelling enough to merit supplementing (ie the MS connection). This was not done lightly-we EBF, don't vax, etc., so it's not like I just say "Of course Dr." to everything my doc suggests.
I researched VitD drops thoroughly though-b/c as another poster pointed out, most are full of crap (why on earth are there cherry flavoured infant drops???). Here in Canada there's a product called "D Drops" and it's VitD (only!) in a veg oil base. From what I can tell, there's nothing else in there.

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#4 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 01:32 AM

I wouldn't give a supplement (and we live in the land of rain) except maybe a little cod liver oil (preferably with some butter oil) after they have started solids.

Mama to DS (6/07) h20homebirth.gif, DD (6/09) h20homebirth.gif, and DD (07/12) homebirth.jpg..

#5 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 02:34 AM

I've read research that found that babies' vit D level increased when nursing mothers were given additional vit D. I'd rather supplement that way, and I take vit D drops.
#6 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 05:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiara7 View Post
I've read research that found that babies' vit D level increased when nursing mothers were given additional vit D. I'd rather supplement that way, and I take vit D drops.
: I'd take a good clo and good bo.
#7 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 05:45 AM

There is a mothering Article on Vit D for babies.

Quote:
We need to be very cautious when professional organizations make broad policy statements that have huge health implications. Not all babies are at risk of developing rickets; too much vitamin D, in fact, can cause an excess amount of calcium in a baby's system, potentially leading to kidney or brain damage, lethargy, seizures, coma, pancreatitis, and cardiac arrhythmias. What happens if a baby is given an overdose of vitamin D drops?
http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...vitamin-d.html

Mama to Belly(5), homesteading in the desert with our chickens and sheep. Fish nerd, really into my reef tank. Baby due Sep 3rd!

#8 of 14 Old 10-30-2008, 11:16 AM

I didn't supplement at all when DS was a newborn because babies are born with stores of VitD and I didn't want to introduce anything to his system beside BM. In the summer we were out everyday and I hardly put sunscreen on, maybe 2-3 times the whole summer, and he was often without a hat so I felt he was able to get enough sun this way. Now that it is cold and gray here and impossible to go outside without being bundled up and with a hat on and he is now eating solids I supplement with the Ddrops, which are just Vit D in a carrier oil. If I lived in a climate that allowed us to be able to go out in shorts and t-shirts or even without a hat for 20 mins a day I probably wouldn't supplement. As soon as it is warm enough again here we will stop supplementing but that will not be for about 5 months or so.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#9 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by butterfly_mommy View Post
I didn't supplement at all when DS was a newborn because babies are born with stores of VitD and I didn't want to introduce anything to his system beside BM. In the summer we were out everyday and I hardly put sunscreen on, maybe 2-3 times the whole summer, and he was often without a hat so I felt he was able to get enough sun this way. Now that it is cold and gray here and impossible to go outside without being bundled up and with a hat on and he is now eating solids I supplement with the Ddrops, which are just Vit D in a carrier oil. If I lived in a climate that allowed us to be able to go out in shorts and t-shirts or even without a hat for 20 mins a day I probably wouldn't supplement. As soon as it is warm enough again here we will stop supplementing but that will not be for about 5 months or so.
Did you ever have issues with sunburn?
#10 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 03:32 PM

Never supplemented anything here.

SANDRA, 41 year old VERY laid-back mama to VERY free range kids Brett (16), Justus (11), Autumn (4), and Ayla (1)... four perfect NCB's! :::
#11 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ks Mama View Post
I never did for either baby because I just don't believe that breastmilk is suddenly deficient in nutrients.
The AAP, LLL and kellymom disagree with you.

OP, you're pretty far north, and winter is coming on. You can get just vitamin D in corn oil or sesame oil, or you can supplement yourself (I think 2000IU a day?)

Quote:
If I lived in a climate that allowed us to be able to go out in shorts and t-shirts or even without a hat for 20 mins a day I probably wouldn't supplement.
Actually, in winter at some latitudes there simply isn't enough energy in the sun for most of the day to make enough vit D, even if you're lying naked in it.
#12 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 06:10 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadameXCupcake View Post
There is a mothering Article on Vit D for babies.

http://www.mothering.com/articles/ne...vitamin-d.html
That. Exactly.

I have never given a vit. D supplement and neither did my mother to me or my 3 brothers and neither did she or her 6 siblings and none of us has had any Vit D. related problems.

AP Mom to 5 knit.gifhomeschool.giftoddler.gif

#13 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 06:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GracesMama View Post
Did you ever have issues with sunburn?
Nope, DS had a nice light tan but he did not get any redness at all. His dad and I do not easily burn either, we are both dark haired and DH is a bit olive toned but I am fair.

Scarlett bfinfant.gif , DH Boris geek.gif , DS 1/29/08 Julian kid.gif DD2 6/7/12 babygirl.gif missing our DD 1/06/06 Sonja angel3.gif and MC @ 9 wks 11/18/06 Satchel  angel.gif

#14 of 14 Old 10-31-2008, 08:23 PM

Is there any reason not to give a baby a Vitamin D supplement? (or any supplement?) Yes there is a reason! It is that nature designed the perfect food for babies -- breastmilk -- and that is sufficient! That is enough. That is exactly what, and everything, your baby needs. Trust nature!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page