Is there a group for Aug. 08 moms? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 31 Old 10-31-2008, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
If so, I am in!
What are your babies doing now? Mine is 2 months + 1 week. Smiling, cooing a lot!! Sweet age
#2 of 31 Old 10-31-2008, 09:09 PM

my baby is 2.5months and smiling and cooing too he rolled over a few times he tired to laugh a few times still working on that one heheh

Amanda mom to Mahmoud 7-20-06 and Kareem 8-23-08
#3 of 31 Old 10-31-2008, 09:50 PM

Her new nickname is "Sir Omp'emhat" She really likes kicking and pushing on this and being stood in our laps.
#4 of 31 Old 11-01-2008, 02:34 PM

She smiles and gurgles and coos. She laughed once for DH when I wasn't there!
#5 of 31 Old 11-01-2008, 04:43 PM

I thought I had seen a group, but don't know where it is. Count me in if we find one! My sweet naked-butt little boy is 10 weeks tomorrow... and just now was the first time I had to use a calendar to double check. Sigh. He is getting up there in age already!

Honestly, the most exciting thing i want to report is that I think I am doing less diaper laundry now than I was before Lio got here-- my 2 year old seems near to graduation (we EC), and this little guy is very communicative and uses very few diapers if any. I love it! :

Distraction is not the same thing as play.
Be part of the diaper free revolution. 

DS1, 6 years.  DS2, 4 years.  DS3, brand new!  (April 2012)

#6 of 31 Old 11-01-2008, 04:53 PM

My LO will be 10 weeks on Tuesday. She is smiling more and more all the time, and is just so fun to hang out with. Looking forward to even more interaction, like when she takes an interest in "things" so I can hand her stuff and play with her that way.

Speaking of diapering, she finally pooped yesterday, after a THIRTEEN DAY hiatus. Wow. But she is totally breast fed and healthy and happy and pain free, so we just let her poop on her own sweet time!

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#7 of 31 Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 AM

I was in the July DDC, but DD arrived Aug 1st. She had her 3 month birthday yesterday. So here I am!

Her development amazes me--not that she is overly ahead, though she is by a bit--but just the whole process is amazing to take part in. I feel honored.

Come ponder with me about food!
#8 of 31 Old 11-02-2008, 10:58 PM

DS is 11 weeks old today (how did that happen so quickly?)

It's been so much fun! Rowan is a very mellow little guy. He started giggling last week...soooo cute. He coos and vocalizes a lot too, which is so fun for DD who likes to "talk" to him. He's starting to bat at things and grab them which is pretty cool too. He is SUCH a different baby than my DD!

fridgeart, lucky mum to E (5) and Ro (2)
#9 of 31 Old 11-02-2008, 11:09 PM

My DD will be 3 months on the 10th!

The time HAS flown by, though. She's gowing so fast! Everytime she learns something new I tear up because I'm so proud of her. She started rolling from tummy to back when she was one month and one week old, and last week she found her feet!

I'm so glad to see other August 2008 mommies out there!
#10 of 31 Old 11-02-2008, 11:35 PM

My dd is 10 weeks and is smiling and cooing and started a giggle here and there. Still getting up at least twice, which is getting pretty rough!
#11 of 31 Old 11-03-2008, 12:03 AM

Another 10 weeker here as well.

Lots of smiles: My ds wakes at least twice a night or more and I thought this was great. I'm feeling more rested. Ds nurses around every two - three hours in the day, leaning more to three now. If I try feed him sooner (me misreading him) he cries and comes on and off, and we have milk everywhere.
Nursing when we are out and about doesn't go over too well. I find myself really trying to avoid it because he fusses so much.

We too are doing EC and Love it. We did EC with dd and it seems once you do it with one your hooked.

Ds has been sick a lot though A inflamed follice w/ swollen lymph node. Two colds. And now a goopy weepy eye I'm hoping it looks better in the morning. The eyelid was red as well.

Sooo cuddly. I love to wear him in my wrap. I do love the newborn stage.

Mama to two beautiful children. 

#12 of 31 Old 11-03-2008, 12:22 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
We're also August 10, so my little one is 12 weeks today. She smiles and coos. She laughed for my mom and husband. I'm waiting for her to laugh for me.

We also ec. I'm not as good with her as I was with our son. He is 34 months. I feel so distracted by my son that I'm just not good at picking up her cues. However, she only poops once or twice a week so she's in training pants with wool covers. She usually is dry all night because I take her to pee when she wakes up to nurse.

I find the hardest part of having 2 is my 2 year old gets so emotional sometimes and he drains me.

We are adopting. We got the call from the obstetrician when she was 80 minutes old and I nursed her for the first time at 6 hours. It was a lot of work, but I am up to full supply. Today there were a few times when she was frustrated at my milk level, but I think that's normal growth spurt kicking in.

Our adoption should finalize in 13 days. I am so excited.

I read about other babies rolling over and such. Although she has great head control while we hold her in a sitting up position, she hardly lifts her head when on her tummy. What are other babies doing?

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#13 of 31 Old 11-03-2008, 01:58 AM

I want to join! My son was born August 7th, and he is getting so adorable. Still sleeps a whole lot, but has active periods where he coos and smiles and even sometimes laughs.

He's also grabbing onto anything his hands come in contact with. I sat him down on my bed and he put his hands above his head and grabbed a pen that was sitting there. I was shocked!

I, like a pp, feel honored to be part of his amazing development. Babies learn so fast. But don't you wish you could bottle up these days and keep them forever?!
#14 of 31 Old 11-03-2008, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlee View Post
And now a goopy weepy eye I'm hoping it looks better in the morning. The eyelid was red as well.
I do love the newborn stage.

Probably a clogged tear duct, try squirting breast milk in it at each feeding. My dd is just getting over one of these.
#15 of 31 Old 11-03-2008, 12:18 PM

Quote:
I read about other babies rolling over and such. Although she has great head control while we hold her in a sitting up position, she hardly lifts her head when on her tummy. What are other babies doing?
My DS is definitely not rolling yet! (She'll be 10 weeks tomorrow) Same as you, hardly lifts her head up when on her tummy. She can lift it and turn it and has good control when I am holding her, but she doesn't have much interest in doing the pushup or holding her head up much when on her tummy.

Can someone tell me more about EC, or include a link with more info? We cloth diaper, but I wouldn't even really know where to start with for EC.

: Mountain biking mama to one beautiful baby girl, born happily at home 8/26/2008.
Her signature would be: Sleep is for the Weak
#16 of 31 Old 11-03-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mckennasmomma View Post
Can someone tell me more about EC, or include a link with more info? We cloth diaper, but I wouldn't even really know where to start with for EC.
diaperfreebaby.org has lots of info and they have info on a great yahoo forum.

a good dvd. Also, for a brief intro into what is and how to ec, read the big review of this dvd. I've copied a portion of it below
http://www.amazon.com/Potty-Whisperi...5727544&sr=8-1

a good book
http://www.amazon.com/Infant-Potty-T...d_bxgy_d_img_c

The EC process:
1. Make the cueing sound (typically "pssss") whenever your baby pees or poops. They quickly associate the sound with the action.

2. Watch your baby for any signs they need to go. Not all babies will give cues. Sometimes you have to go by intuition. In our case, we've gone by timing. We've been at this for over a year and only timing has been successful for us. (Although yesterday, 5 days shy of 14 months, he actually used the hand signal 4 times to indicate he had to pee or poop! Today hasn't been so good, though. Typical up and downs of toddler learning.)

3. If you think your baby has to go, take them to the potty place and make the cueing sound. The potty place could be a bowl, an infant potty, the toilet, or the backyard flowers. If they have to go, they will. If it's not time, you try again later.

4. Relax. Don't plan on 100% success. This is not about "potty training." This is about taking care of your infant's needs in a healthful, economical, environmentally friendly way while you are also teaching them about their bodies.

One of the chief criticisms of this technique is that the parents do all the work. Of course they do. These are babies. They are incapable of taking off clothing, undoing diapers, wiping themselves, etc. Parents do all the work in standard American potty training. But they do it for a lot longer than people who EC. My son isn't even 14 months and he signed to me that he needed to poop. He went in the toilet and I used 1 wipe to clean him up. Yes, I did all the work, but he's the one who initiated it. I'd say he will be totally independent years before most of his peers. Also, he's never had a diaper rash and I doubt if he'll ever get one.

Created an instant family (7/89 and 5/91) in 1997. Made a baby boy 12/05 adopted a baby girl 8/08. Ask me about tandem adoptive nursing. Now living as gluten, dairy, cane sugar, and tomato free vegetarians. Homeschooling and loving it.

#17 of 31 Old 11-03-2008, 02:23 PM

YAY! I've been looking for an August '08 group!
My DS was also born August 10. He's great at tummy time -lifts his head way up and kicks his legs in the air like he's trying to push off and crawl. He loves to tell me stories, he "sings" when I sing to him, and he's got the cutest grin ever. No laughs yet (I am waiting patiently...), and he hasn't rolled over yet -but he can get about halfway there which makes Mummy NERVOUS. He's gotten very drooly, and likes to gnaw on my finger/his hands/his soother like there's no tomorrow. He's also started grabbing the toys on his play mat, which is very exciting, and the other day he held his wooden rattle for the first time (and put it in his mouth, of course!).
#18 of 31 Old 11-06-2008, 02:11 PM

another august baby here! DS is so alert and interested in faces. I just started carrying him in the kangaroo hold in our sling and he LOVES it! He talks to everyone we meet which makes errands take an awful long time-- but it's so worth it. He loves trying to make animal sounds and listening to DH sing to him. It's just so much fun watching him grow and explore!
#19 of 31 Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 AM

Hi,
I am so addicted to my LO.
I have to do other things - like workout as I've lost zero baby weight.

8 might be enough
#20 of 31 Old 11-07-2008, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marlee View Post
Ds nurses around every two - three hours in the day, leaning more to three now. If I try feed him sooner (me misreading him) he cries and comes on and off, and we have milk everywhere.
Nursing when we are out and about doesn't go over too well. I find myself really trying to avoid it because he fusses so much.
Same here. Evelynn gets mad if I give her the boob when she's not hungry. "How dare you try to feed me!!" She also screams (not cries, screams) when she's done eating as if to say, "I'm FINISHED!!!" I think it's like a newborn refluxy thing. Curiously enough, though, she doesn't fuss during her nighttime meals.

She still wakes up every 2-3 hours during the night. It used to be that she'd have one long stretch (4-5 hours) and then every 3 after that, but I was in the hospital for 4 days without contact with her. She was bottle fed during that period (expressed milk), and she'd go almost 6 hours at night then. When I got back, though, she started doing this every 2 hours nonsense and it's been going on for 2 weeks now. It doesn't bother me, though, she's such a good nurser at night.

Pediatrician says she's got the head strength of a 4 month old! She's a champion. She loves to stand, too, and pulls herself up from sitting if you hold her hands.

She likes to play with her toys. She has a rattle that she loves, and a pink elephant that plays music when you pull on it. The first time she pulled on the elephant and it made noise she was so excited! So cute. She also likes to play with me while I cook. I give her plastic utensils (spatula, measuring cups) and she goes to town.

She has conversations with us (and also with the TV ). She laughed once yesterday but I haven't heard it since. I think it was because I was laughing so hard, she started to laugh too and then we were both laughing at each other.

Does anyone else's baby DROOL like CRAZY!? (This is how the laughing started, I was holding her up in the air playing with her and drool just started dripping all over my face-- this was really funny to me for some reason).

I have to change her shirts like 3 times a day because they just get soaked with drool.

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#21 of 31 Old 11-07-2008, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by holothuroidea View Post
I have to change her shirts like 3 times a day because they just get soaked with drool.
Little bibs will help, if you prefer.

#22 of 31 Old 11-07-2008, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mybabysmama View Post
Little bibs will help, if you prefer.
omg, duh!

you are brilliant! i can't believe i didn't think of that

Nik! Mama to Evelynn Rose 08/19/08 and Autumn Lily 11/02/10
#23 of 31 Old 11-07-2008, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Curiously enough, though, she doesn't fuss during her nighttime meals.
lol well there is nothing else to do at night, the boob is the only form of entertainment going on!

Quote:
Does anyone else's baby DROOL like CRAZY!?
teeth time? Kidding .... my dd started drooling early first tooth - 12 months.

I am loving seeing his personality.
although I get nothing done...
nothing I am his biggest fan....he has me hypnotized.

8 might be enough
#24 of 31 Old 11-07-2008, 04:24 PM

Hi everyone! Kendall is now 13 weeks old (geez, 13 weeks?!). He is kicking and lifting his head up really well. He has rolled over a couple of times but chooses to do it when he feels like it. He loves to "talk" and smile. OMG my baby has the cutest grin ever! I mean, serious. He is the cutest baby in the world. He loves for you to hold him up as if he's standing. He just loves that. The other night he giggled for the first time and I screamed so loud. My baby is giggling!

I am so ready for another baby but think I will wait another 3 years. LOL. He's still not sleeping through the night; waking once at 2:30 am and again at 4:30 then up at 6 am. Needless to say, I'm tired as a dog but I wouldn't change it for anything.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#25 of 31 Old 11-07-2008, 05:10 PM

AKAPI...dang they are addictive aren't they!
But honestly 3 years is a great spread, I have had four kids now.
the differences between babes has been 8 years, 33 months, 44 months.
Also a longer spread makes daycare a bit cheaper as the older one transitions to school... however it can make for more than one drop off...

33 months was too close IMO.
The other baby wasn't toilet trained fully during my pregnancy.
44 months is great as well my next child loves the baby but is interested in his own world and no diapers during pregnancy!

I think we are done...but I find kids addictive and haven't gotten rid of any of the baby stuff he's outgrown....even though I can find homes...biology is a strong thing eh?

8 might be enough
#26 of 31 Old 11-09-2008, 07:08 PM

Shiloh - a woman that sits near me at work just found out she was pregnant and I was thinking of holding my stuff for her but something tells me I'll be having another boy in about 3 years. I'm keeping my baby stuff. They certainly are addictive.

Book loverread.gif - Sewer sewmachine.gif - Movie lover lurk.gif - Mommy to a wonderful little boy (8/4/08) biggrinbounce.gif - Aspiring writer notes.gif - On a mission to lose 15 pounds - all-around cool chick hippie.gif

#27 of 31 Old 11-09-2008, 11:17 PM

keep just the nice stuff you wouldn't replace...donate the stuff you might want to upgrade next time...

if you are like me all my kids look alike as babies - new clothing makes it easier to tell them apart.

I am having a hard time parting with my stuff - I got the best system after 4 kids...sigh....but I got to love the one I am with enjoy the baby and not think about the next one or who to give my stuff to until I am done with it..

I cant think that this might be my last newborn I snuggle to my breast.
The kid train has to end but I find it hard to believe he's my last baby....

8 might be enough
#28 of 31 Old 11-10-2008, 01:15 PM

My LO has discovered his toes and his reflection in the mirror. LOL It is the cutest thing the way he keeps lifting his legs in the air when he sits in his little chair. LOL

#29 of 31 Old 11-10-2008, 08:57 PM

DD was born August 27.

MeaganN - mine only laughs in her sleep. I can't wait until she does it when she's awake. It's such a cute sound!!
#30 of 31 Old 11-10-2008, 10:12 PM

Yay! I'm glad this thread is here!

Indigo is 11 weeks old, and is such a little darling... She "talks" to us a lot - my DP swears she has said her first words, because he kept saying "I love you" to her while their eyes were locked, and she was trying to mimic his words! I think it only counts though when the baby knows what they are saying. Anyway, I did hear it and it did sound eerily like "I love you!" She also seems to be getting stronger, and holds her head up better and better every day - but also can't seem to do much when she's on her tummy. I keep trying to give her a little tummy time every day but she doesn't like it very much... She's just so smiley, though... Oh - and the other thing is that she loves to be naked! Every time I take her diaper off to change her, she is so happy! She gets mad when I put clothes on her. I think she's going to be a nudist when she grows up... But I think this means she's a good candidate for EC, which I have very very tentatively been trying to start. It's a little daunting, but after reading "Diaper Free," it just seemed like an awesome thing to do.

Holothuroidea - Indigo also cries and gets mad sometimes when I try to feed her, when I think she might be hungry or she's upset - I can't figure her out sometimes - I spend a lot of hours just walking her around the house, because she always seems to like that...

Anyway, good to hear from everyone! Hooray! Babies! :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page