Mothering Forum banner

What's your bib "strategy"?

1K views 23 replies 19 participants last post by  JamieCatheryn 
#1 ·
I'm just curious.

My DS is in a bib all the time, otherwise I'd have to change his shirt four times a day because of all the drool. I leave it on for naps, but at night when he falls asleep, I have to try and undo the velcro without waking him up.

Do your babies wear bibs all the time, and do they keep them on for naps? At what age could I expect the fountain of drool to slow down?

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
I have this problem too.

So far I leave the bib on for naps and do not put a bib on her at bedtime. Our bedtime routine involves a bath, so when I get her dressed I just don't put the bib on her.

Maybe a bib that ties would be easier to remove than a velcro one?

#3 ·
I never had bibs on, period... But my LO's weren't TERRIBLE with the drooling. I tried to wipe up as much as I could with a little cloth when it was bad, and when it was just "normal" drool I... let it just go on their shirt... and then either changed the shirt or it dried.
:

#5 ·
With DS1 he needed a bib whenever he was awake. I left it on for his short naps mostly because it was easier than taking it off. He was pretty much a constant drooler until about 14mo or so. It slowly tapered off and was gone by about 24mo.

DS2 drools a little, but doesn't need a bib.

#6 ·
My DS is a major drooler and we just leave it on for naps. When we change him for bedtime, then we take it off. At day care however, they take the bib off when he naps and then it never seems to get put back on, because his shirt is SOAKING wet when I pick him up.

#8 ·
My DS would soak 4 vinyl backed bibs a day for a while as a baby, he was like a leaky faucet...what I did was bibs all day, and then I had this vinyl backed sheet protector at night I'd put on the crib (ooh, but if you're cosleeping that would kind of be impossible - we didn't cosleep with him at that stage in his babyhood...he also didn't seem to drool as much at night, for some reason...or at least the drool went on the bed and not on his sleeper.
I guess if we coslept I probably would get a small waterproof pad and just let the drool drip on there...

Then DD, in her true opposite fashion, wore a bib exactly once, one day she was really drooly but that was it. So weird how different they are.

#9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Tarielena View Post
My 7mo. old wears a bib most of the time during the day too, however he doesn't need it for naps/bedtime because he uses a paci and doesn't drool when he has it.
Ahhh, I guess that's why DS didn't drool as much at night!

#10 ·
DS wore a bib all the time, except for naps and bedtime (he also used a pacifier then). Otherwise he would have soaked through most of his shirts in a day. I don't remember when it tapered off, exactly... but I don't remember him wearing bibs much after 9 months.

#11 ·
I just read that the drooling typically lasts 12-18 months
I just hate covering his cute clothes with yucky bibs!

I don't take his bib off for naps, because I can never predict when he's actually going to fall asleep (he'll fall asleep while I'm nursing or carrying him).

#12 ·
We got some great bibs from an etsy mama. They are so cute, I don't feel like I'm covering up DD's clothes. They are an accessory.

And best of all. They snap!!!! I hate velcro bibs. So these are perfect. I got the reversible cotton woven w/flannel as the middle layer. Next time I'm gonna try the woven/chenille.

Here's a link, if your interested.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5049857

#13 ·
I don't use bibs even tho she is a major fountain of drool. It dries or I change her shirt.

A thought on bibs, tho. I think the ones that tie are a choking hazard. Also, my friend uses them for her son all day long and she recently had dye bleed through from the waterproof inside onto the cloth. She stopped using the waterproof ones but asked me to tell every mom I meet about it. There.

I saw a pattern for bibs with "bugs" embroidered on them, so cute, I wanted to start using them!

If I was having your problem I would either not use a bib at all in the evening or let her sleep in it.

#16 ·
We don't really use bibs here. But DS isn't very drooly. I do know at daycare they put a bib on him for feeding purposes. When he gets food at home, we just strip him down to a diaper and then bathe him afterward. And if he does happen to spit up or get his clothes messy, we just change his clothes.

Honestly, bibs make me nervous. Call me a psycho first time mom, but I feel like they're a strangulation hazard. So IF he wears a bib, its the velcro kind because I feel like if it got caught on something, it would come off easier than a snap, tie, button, or elastic neck bib. I also will not let him sleep in a bib. There have been a few times that I have gone into his room at daycare and found him in his crib with a bib on... and I always say something. I just have these horrible nightmares about his bib getting twisted, caught, or otherwise hung up and then strangling him.

Then again, I'm not one to wear anything around my own neck because anytime something touches the front of my neck, I feel like I'm being choked. I can't even stand to have the blankets fall across my throat if I'm laying down in bed. So maybe I'm just projecting my own sensitivities on DS... but oh well.

#17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by messy mama View Post
We got some great bibs from an etsy mama. They are so cute, I don't feel like I'm covering up DD's clothes. They are an accessory.

And best of all. They snap!!!! I hate velcro bibs. So these are perfect. I got the reversible cotton woven w/flannel as the middle layer. Next time I'm gonna try the woven/chenille.

Here's a link, if your interested.

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5049857
Thanks so much for the link! I take it they absorb well? I had bought some handmade ones through an eBay seller, but they're soaking wet after an hour (they were cute Batman, Superman ones too
). I love the snap ones.

I was nervous at first about letting him sleep with a bib, but he's my little lazybones - he does NOT move until he wakes up. He naps in his crib too, and I have nothing in there but two light blankets.

Stripping him down for mealtimes wouldn't work here - we're heading into winter and it's quite chilly, even with the heat on

Thanks for sharing your responses! I don't have any IRL moms to chat about this stuff with

#18 ·
This is my 5th kid but the first one that I've felt I needed to keep a bib on, he's just a fountain. I take off for naps though. It just seems easier to change bibs rather than shirts and I don't want him to have the wetness next to his skin.

#20 ·
I usually use bibs on her. If I don't put a bib on her before I leave for work, Mr Toona will forget and I will come home to a soaked shirted baby. I figure since it's fall-winter time now, a wet front must be far from comfortable, so we're trying to keep up on that front. She's a drool queen, she is.

Veering OT and just out of curiousity...

We have these days of the week bibs, Mr Toona thinks I'm wacky because I can't stand it when he puts a Tuesday on her and it's Friday. But, come on now, why would you put the wrong day on her? am I really that far out there?

#21 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Teenytoona View Post
We have these days of the week bibs, Mr Toona thinks I'm wacky because I can't stand it when he puts a Tuesday on her and it's Friday. But, come on now, why would you put the wrong day on her? am I really that far out there?
I have day of the week monkey socks for my toddler, and I had to do a LOT of letting go to not cringe or try to 'correct' her when she picked Tuesday's socks on Saturday, and Friday's socks on Monday......so I totally feel you.
: And I don't think I'll be buying any more day of the week apparel for anyone in my family anytime soon!

#22 ·
Dd wore a bib all the time until she was at least one because she would spit up all the time. It was a lot easier to change a bib rather than her shirt.

Ds never wore a bib. He very rarely spit up and when it came time to start feeding him food, I had learned that nakey was better anyway.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.