Suggestion to the New Mommies (if there are any) - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 14 Old 03-13-2005, 03:47 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Borrow or Buy the "No Cry Sleep Solution" and read it now, before the baby is born and you have to steal time from your own small amount of sleep to read it then. LOL

That's what happened to me anyway.
It's a really helpful book. I love my copy.

Just a suggestion from one Mama to another!
#2 of 14 Old 03-13-2005, 06:53 AM

I love that book!! I don't have it anymore but used it with my youngest
#3 of 14 Old 03-14-2005, 06:37 AM

#4 of 14 Old 03-14-2005, 11:09 AM

Go to the movies now while you're pg :LOL cuz once you have the babe (if you don't have a theater w/ a "family friendly" viewing time) you won't get to go til you're comfortable leaving DC. DS is 11mo and I haven't been to a movie since I was 9mo pg w/ him

I would also read as much info on bfing as possible ( Dr. Sears's books).

Practice using a sling w/ a doll so that you get comfortable w/ it before DC is born.

Cook and freeze LOTS of meals so that once the baby's here, you just need to reheat them.

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#5 of 14 Old 03-14-2005, 10:52 PM

Ugh, Zach, don't tell me that! I'm due six days before a movie that I've been waiting for for over a year! I've been praying that I'll go just a little late, but knowing my life, I'll go into labour the day of the release and be screaming at everyone I know not to spoil it for me.
#6 of 14 Old 03-15-2005, 09:49 AM

Just curious Belleweather but what movie? And I love the no cry sleep solution, it is worked so nicely for us.
#7 of 14 Old 03-15-2005, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belleweather
Ugh, Zach, don't tell me that! I'm due six days before a movie that I've been waiting for for over a year! I've been praying that I'll go just a little late, but knowing my life, I'll go into labour the day of the release and be screaming at everyone I know not to spoil it for me.
:LOL Well here's hoping you get to see the movie : I will say this, some babies will go to a movie, nurse to sleep, and sleep through the WHOLE thing (not my son ) I also think that I don't fell comfortable having my small babe in a movie theater surrounded by people I don't know that could have goodness- knows- what germs . I really haven't gone to a movie in well over a year DS is too attached to me and would NOT sit still long enough for me to watch. I'm lucky if I get to watch a movie at home That said, some theaters have day time "family friendly" times when they encourage parents to bring little ones and they don't turn the lights completely out and it's expected that there will be some noise from the kids You might want to check out if your theater has something like this

Jenn<>< crunchy conservative mama to 6 fencing.gif reading.gif notes2.gif fly-by-nursing2.gif

knit.gifand sewmachine.gif my way through my stash.

#8 of 14 Old 03-15-2005, 03:05 PM

I'm waiting impatiently for Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire. (Yes, I'm a giant HP fangirl, so what?) The movie is due November 18th, and I'm due November 12th, so we'll see what happens. Although, I'm not the kind of person to be too horribly concerned about germs, since DH works Part Time in a hospital meaning we're already exposed to anything and everything under the sun, so I could see making a trip to an early showing on a school day and just hoping the baby is ameneable.
#9 of 14 Old 03-21-2005, 08:01 PM

Belleweather, me too sister!!!!! I cannot wait. As long Mr. or Miss Baby doesn't arrive early, I should get to see it! I recently bought this great book that summarizes books 1-4 and explains all the clues that are written into each book. It is awesome!

OK, back on topic. I was kind of surprised to see y'all recommending the No Cry Sleep Solution, but that's just because I had a (probably erroneous) preconceived notion about it. Can you give us the gist of the book? Can it be done with co-sleeping?

This is a fun thread, by the way. It got buried on page 2.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#10 of 14 Old 03-22-2005, 06:37 PM

I second cooking and freezing. We didn't do this with DD because I could just have DH go get anything I wanted. But now with a toddler in the mix, we'll have to have some meals at home, too.
#11 of 14 Old 03-22-2005, 06:44 PM

I am not crazy about the No Cry Sleep Solution, but I guess a lot of people really love it. Against their advice, I've nursed my kid to sleep for 2 years now, and I'm pretty much fine with that. I just seem to recall reading in there not to do that, because "You'll be sorry" and all that.... but maybe it wasn't in there at all. Shrug.

I think the most valuable thing I learned when I was a new mommy was something that none of the books really told me-- which was: when things suck, just wait awhile; they always get better.
#12 of 14 Old 03-22-2005, 06:46 PM

oh? I am on my third kid who's already one, so I'm reading it out of curiousity, but I didn't know it said no nursing to sleep...

and hey mamas, you can see a movie with a newborn easily. sling and boobie and zzzzzzz

amy
#13 of 14 Old 03-22-2005, 06:54 PM

:

Jenn, future midwife, mama to 2 sweet girls (6/05) and (5/07). 
#14 of 14 Old 03-23-2005, 10:34 AM

Good advice

I liked some parts of 'No Cry..." as far as recognizing tiredness cues and that sort of thing- really helped!

New moms, don't beleive any of the 'don't nurse/rock/hold/whatever your baby to sleep'- that's what our boobies were made for, and what's been done since the beginning of time. Do whatever your baby needs to get him/her to sleep and they will grow out of it when they're ready. Don't worry- they won't be nursing to sleep or needing to be rocked when they go off to college!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page