Need advice here!!! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 03-15-2005, 02:20 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
About 6 months ago I let our babysitter friend look through my maternity clothes to borrow what she wanted because her husband is a cheap bastard and won't increase her allowance (yes, he has her on an allowance)to let her buy any. So anyway she took about 90% of what I had and then about a month ago when I told her I was pg she said just to let her know when I needed my clothes back... so I did last week and she gave me a small bag of them back saying that I wouldn't be getting the rest of my clothes back yet because she still had 7 weeks left in her pregnancy! : EXCUSE ME... what am I supposed to wear... I need my size small tops back especially because, well, it's obvious. I certainly cannot afford to go by new clothes. Besides, I'll most likely be out of size small by the time I get my smalls back! Plus I have some really cute things I was looking forward to wearing because last pregnancy I held out as long as I could without going into maternity. Now I know for a fact that I am not the only one who lent her clothes for this pregnancy so it's not like she doesn't have anything to wear. I am NOT a diplomatic person so any suggestions on how to get my clothes back would be greatly appreciated. I tend to be very offensive and rude when my toes get stepped on especially with all the pregnancy hormones!

I'll check back for replies tonight when I get back from school clinic.
#2 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 05:13 AM

Hey, it is an awkward one isn't it...how close a friend is she?
If it were me, I would just say (probably call) that you would like some specific things back, because you are having trouble fitting into your regular clothes already, if you are just honest there is nothing she can say that can upset you. I expect that she is feeling nervous about her baby arriving perhaps because her partner sounds like a bit of a dick!

If you just explain that you need them and you can't afford to buy new things I am sure she will be abliging....?

Good luck

B
#3 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 12:29 PM

Wow, you do something nice for someone and end up getting screwed over in the end. That sucks. I would just call her and tell her that she can keep the larger maternity clothes (for the HUGE bellies) for the next 7 weeks but you need the stuff your going to fit into NOW.

Angela
#4 of 6 Old 03-16-2005, 07:47 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
WOW,did anyone read the post Cinthia left about watching our speech so as to not offend anyone?

it sounds like your a pretty blunt person and just tell her, look I know I lent you the clothes and I'm glad they've worked out for you,but they ARE mine and I need them. Maybe now that she's almost ready to have her baby her dh can CONSIDER buying her an outfit or two. Any REASONABLE person would be thankful for what they've been allowed to borrow and give it ALL back when asked.

Mama to girl (11), boy (7) and girl (4).  "Can't we all just get along?" joy.gif
#5 of 6 Old 03-17-2005, 04:57 AM

I apologize if the use of profanity offended.....

B
#6 of 6 Old 03-17-2005, 07:00 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for your words of advice, ladies. I did tell her last night because it actually came up in conversation. We were talking about how my belly hurt from having to squeeze into non pregnancy clothes. She was alright about it but kind of grumbled that she would have to give me back what had become one of her favorite comfy pants. I'm glad you all thought that I should just come out and say it. I needed to hear it. So I did and followed through with it...Guess it was just one of those things that I get all worried about but in the end it didn't seem to be such a big deal. Just about 2 seconds of feeling uncomfortable as I said it.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page