Blood work for Homebirthers - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 3 Old 03-16-2005, 09:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just wondering if I really NEED any blood work done or a pelvic exam at all during my preg. We know my blood type, I'm not anemic, not sick, and no STD's. Thoughts on this?
Trisha

hh2.gif

#2 of 3 Old 03-16-2005, 10:36 PM

We're planning our first home birth this June -- no pelvic exam for me (I just had a Pap smear last summer) to the shock of the CNMs!

I did get my blood work done -- it was interesting to find out that my hemoglobin levels were already low at that point (i.e. borderline anemic -- I had no idea!). They tend to dip a lot in the second trimester so I started being very intentional about getting enough protein then before it became a problem. So, for that I'm glad I did it -- insurance paid for it.
#3 of 3 Old 03-17-2005, 07:57 AM

check out the online childbirth class on www.unhinderedliving.com.
I had blood work done at 15 or 18 weeks last time just to get on Medicaid as a back up for my planned homebirth. The state also requires you get a pelvic exam twice in your pg, once in the 1st tri and once at 36 weeks. But after the CNM used doppler to get a heartbeat after us insisting we did not want ultrasound (Doppler IS ultrasound) I refused to go in at 36 wks.
I personally think that all you really need to know will show up on the urine strip tests. Provided of course that your diet is supplying all your nutritional needs.
oh yeah, forgot to mention that when I got my blood drawn, I had to wait around for about 3-4 hours without food (well, luckily I had some fruit with me) and then the nurse that drew the blood had to stick me 5 times and after she was done she nicked my blood vessel as she was pulling the needle out so I (my arm)basically looked like a heroin user for about a month and a half after that. great

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page