Let's talk baby gear - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 07-01-2005, 09:51 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
The more I look at baby stuff, the more confused I get! Right now I'm trying to figure out whether we should get a bassinet or a cosleeper. The baby is going to sleep with us, so whatever we get for our bedroom will be the secondary sleeping/napping area, and probably not used a whole lot. The thing about bassinets though is that they are only useful for a short time. Also we are planning on getting a moses basket as well as a pack-n-play that we'll keep downstairs (our bedroom is upstairs). So what do y'all think? What have you tried and found to be the best solution?

Also - strollers/carseats? Graco is always rated highly it seems. We were registered for an Eddie Bauer travel system, but it's rated 3rd out of the 4 major brands, so forget that. Are there any that you just love?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-01-2005, 11:05 AM

All of our carseats (infant, toddler, big boy) have been Evenflo, and we are quite happy with them. My parents bought us a Maclaren stroller which we used very infrequently as we wore Sam in either a Baby Bjorn or Hip Hammock (could never get the hang of the slings...) and they also had a little lightweight one for their house. Both of them were just fine, but I have no idea on the price.

We had a crib that we used infrequently for Sam for naps. The Turkey will sleep with us, but we intend to get something for naps - probably a bassinet, but not sure. Just want to find something fairly small and economical because we don't have much space.

The 2 things that saved my life were: a swing (for earlier months) - because I could put him in it and cook - or we could put him in it and he'd fall asleep and DH and I could have some time togehter! And then the ...gosh, I can't remember the name...not the Intellitainer, that's the wrong brand, but the Evenflo thingy. Oh! The Ultrasaucer! That allowed me to shower. Seriously. We gave it away because we had nowhere to store it, but we'll get a new one.

We also really loved our little Tiny Love playmat thingy, and need to get a new one of those.
Old 07-01-2005, 12:34 PM

Hmm -- good to hear -- swing and saucer, two things to add to my mental checklist. I made a list of stuff we still need and would get from BabiesRUs and it's not too much, just like comb and brush and nail clipper, changing pad.

We have a crib that I plan on using for naps/safe place to stash baby, etc. and I plan on just getting gaurd rails for my bed. Did anyone else use guard rails? If so, how did they work out?
Old 07-01-2005, 12:42 PM

We didn't have a cosleeper or a bassinet last time and didn't really miss it, but I'm leaning towards a cosleeper this time. They last much longer and can function as a bassinet if you want them to.

I wouldn't bother with a carseat/stroller combo. The strollers that come with them are usually not great. We are using a graco carseat this time because a friend is lending it to me. The snugride usually gets great reviews. If you really think you'll need a stroller to carry the carseat, get a snap n' go or a kolcraft. We didn't ever feel the need for one.

When N was a baby, I wore him a lot in a sling or the bjorn and when I needed to walk somewhere with him, we had a fully reclining all terrain stroller that I still love and he's almost 4. For this kiddo, we already have two ring slings, a non-adjustable pouch, an adjustable fleece pouch, an Ergo, and a mei tai carrier LOL.

Definitely think about a swing. It's a great place to put the baby when you need your hands free for a few moments and some kids will only nap there in the beginning.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:43 PM
Banned

I loved my daughter's car/seat stroller combo. The car seat was the click in kind wit the base always attached in the car... and you could pull out the carrier part of the carseat then it would click into her stroller. I for sure plan on getting again. It got a LOT of use and makes things so easy.

As far as a bassinet, we will be getting one as well, I like to have them downstairs for daytime naps - as we have a two story house. I know you can only use them a short while, but I found it very handy, esp because the bassinet can be wheeled around the house. You can even wheel it into the bathroom and kitchen etc.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:46 PM

I have a great jogging stroller (quinny) but it stays at home in the garage as it is too big to pack unless it is for special occasions. We use it every night when the weather is nice.

I have an umbrella stroller in the car that I still use if my son is sleeping. I will get a newish umbrella stroller (maclaren I think) as the other is getting worn out, over traveled and is better for bigger kiddos.

A breast pump. A necessity in my view. I want to store extra milk anyway or be able to donate it. Last time I used a hospital pump, a lactina, a Pump in style, a medela hand pump and an advent isis. I am buying a PIS advanced new from ebay this time around. Hands down it was awesome and better than a single hand pump. Even with a full term baby, I would pick it over a hand pump. I had a preemie and pumping was a necessity but I also found that I often got -easily- touched out, nursed out, irritated even though we had a perfect latch etc... and pumping once a day and letting my DH give a bottle (after BF was well established) was OFTEN the salvation of our BF relationship. 90% of the time I loved nursing and had no problem with it but the other 10% of the time, it drove me batty and I hated it.

A rocker or swing of some type...I used it when cooking and when I showered. I think I am getting the tan combi activity rocker or another tanish sits low to the floor baby swing. Most of them are ugly with really funky prints. I have been trying to find something appealing looking! ; )

a slew of slings! ; ) I have a pouch I like and am buying a new ring sling. My husband liked the baby bjorn better and would use it but hated the sling. When my son was to 8-9 months, we used a backpack carrier daily. At the grocery store, walking, cleaning, cooking etc. The older he got, the more he hated a ring sling or pouch sling and LOVED the backpack carrier.

I bought a crib but it was NEVER used. Not once even for a nap.

I coslept (still do) with our son on a full bed (minus the under-frame). I used a rail and had it pushed to the wall when he was younger.

I got a pack and play but NEVER used the jail part of it. It did have a diaper changing thing on top of it and I used it and a tiny bassinet part that sat in it that I used if I was cooking and he was sleeping.

A carseat...I originally thought I would start with a bigger britax seat (marathon, decathlon etc) but I am now starting a graco snugride (in blackwell). I hate the idea of dragging a bucket anywhere but we do live in MI and winters here suck so I think I will take advantage of being able to keep the baby warm in the carseat when needed vs having to pull them out and sling at the car when it is frigid and freezing and snowy.

Clothing...I prefer cotton open bottom gowns to onesies. Ten times easier to change diapers. I am getting lots of these and socks and that is all.

I will start with a dozen small AIO dipes but figure I will use sposies a bit too to start with. I will have a hard enough time going from 1 to 2 and I am not adding more to my plate to begin with. I am getting 2 dozen of medium AIO's though. It is what I used with my son except for traveling and long outings.

I used the "safer bather" for my son and loved it. I hate plastic tubs.

And We did have a exersaucer at about 7-8 months. It was also nice because I could drag it in the bathroom while I took a shower or have him in it in the kitchen while I was cooking (if he was not in the backpack).

That is my whole list!! Looking forward to reading other replies!
Old 07-01-2005, 01:58 PM

Yes, a pump is a good one for the list. I didn't even think of that. I'm sure my PIS will still be in good working order. It's a must have if you WOH.
Old 07-01-2005, 02:42 PM

I hate the travel systems as well. I got rid of my travel system stroller, it was bulky and big and annoying. I second teh idea of getting a bucket seat and a snap N go. And then if you feel you need a stroller, you can get one of the better one, like Combi or Maclaren or Peg Perego with much better features than the Graco/Evenflo monstrosities.

I use Britax car seats for DS, but will probably just borrow a bucket since I have big babies and will only get 2-4 months use out of the bucket. They are nice for winter babies, so you can get them in and bundled up and just carry them to the car.

There are always tons of exersaucers at consignment sales and yard sales, so I would buy it used. That way you wont feel bad about selling/donating it after you get your 2-3 months use out of it. Those things are impossible to store unless you have unlimited space.

For carriers, I plan to use a fleece pouch, a Moby Wrap and my Ergo once the babe gets a little bigger.

I hope to get the Amby Baby bed, so I wont need a separate swing for naps, or a bassient, etc. A bouncy seat is nice as a quick place to set the baby, but DS wouldnt hang out in his for long. We put his on the table and he hung out there while we ate dinner (when I wasnt nursing and eating and spilling food all over him LOL).

I really like my changing table. Some people are just as happy to change babies on the floor, but I really like having the babe right at the correct height. And early on, we put his bath on there for ease as well. DS used his changing table for a long time, til he was able to climb up himself and his feet were dangling off the edge. Much easier on mama!

I'm sure i'll think of more right after i hit Submit.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 07-01-2005, 04:06 PM

All we really need is a stroller- ours is totally crappy- Amy, I'm not sure if this is the same one you had registered for- the Eddie Bauer one- but it totally fell apart, very hard to steer, not great on bumpy sidewalks. SO, I really need stroller recommendations! I will have a 3 yr old who doesn't really walk, and a newborn, so I am thinking a stroller mainly for the toddler and wearing the babe as a double stroller just seems like TOO MUCH. Or how about a sit n stand? I need something that is easy to steer, good on rough terrian, and has a good sized basket. Help!

We are total rebels, but we never used or wanted a bucket- I worked in the church nursery before becoming a mom, and all the babies were in them, and they were SOOO heavy and hard to carry that I knew my back and neck would never take it! We have always had our one Britax Roundabout and it hasn't been a problem transferring him to bed if he fell asleep in the car, or into the stroller.

We really didn't use the pack n play much either, but it's still a good thing to have. The playpen part of it, no way would my ds EVER play in there! He hated it. But it was nice as a basinnette or place to put him down for a minute- the floor on a blanket is totally fine, too, but we have big dogs so I didn't want him to get accidentally stepped on.

The exersaucer is what saved our breastfeeding relationship by allowing me to pump!! Ds wouldn't nurse most of the time so I had to pump a lot, and this was the only way he would stay occupied long enough! At one point we even had 2- one was loaned and the other found at the thrift shop for $8- best 8 bucks I have ever spent!! Definitely don't buy one new- there are tons of them out there at consignment shops, like Jenn said.

The swing and bouncy seats weren't big hits, but I know other babies love them so I'll haul them out again and hopefully this baby will get some use out of them!
Old 07-01-2005, 04:16 PM

What about something like the Valco or the Kiwi Explorer (or whatever the current name is on that one). They are single, three wheeled, all terrain strollers that have attachments for a second child.

I've heard that the sit and stand is a pain to drive. Another option would be a nice single and attach a buggy board for your older child. I don't think these can work right away as (I think) they prevent the stroller from reclining flat, which you'd need for a newborn.

I've decided to wait until spring to decide. My DS is almost four, but loves the stroller. I'm hoping by the time I'm using my strollers heavily again, he'll be walking more.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I had all the nonsense when I had my first. You name it, stroller, playpen, swing, bouncy chair....paid a fortune for it all.
Now that I know better...I have:
A car seat
A bouncy seat for the bathroom
4 slings
And my bed.
Old 07-01-2005, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mamaharsh
What about something like the Valco or the Kiwi Explorer (or whatever the current name is on that one).
Thanks so much for the suggestions! In all my searching, I hadn't seen those and they look like exactly what I need! The only problem is the price....I know I couldn't buy it new- but we really only need to buy the stroller and carseat as far as baby gear is concerned, so if there was a way to get people to give GC's or otherwise chip in, or if I could find it on ebay or the consignment shop (HA HA) that would be terrific.

I will have to check out how a buggy board works-

Thanks!
Old 07-01-2005, 05:25 PM

I had it all with my first. Little less with my 2nd.
When they're infants I do one in stroller, infant in sling then move up to a double stroller (I love my Maclaren so I'm upping to a double Maclaren as soon as baby is big enough). Hated my huge Jeep double stroller/travel system. Too heavy, too bulky, hated it.
I can't live without my slings, Maclaren stroller, and a bouncy seat. Since some nights we wind up with 4 in a bed i'm thinking of not converting the crib into a cosleeper but getting an Amby instead. Everyone I know who has one adores it.
And of course, a carseat. Probably another AVent isis pump.
That's about it for us.
Old 07-01-2005, 05:58 PM

Mary,

I would recommend a few things (and I am not a stroller diva, I just lurked a lot on some stroller boards). The Peg Perego Pliko stroller has a footboard built in on the back for your older child to ride on. Those run around $300 new but would be much easier to find than a Kiwi or a Valco used. Try ebay, craigslist, etc. Also Babies R Us sells these so you can register for it.

Or if I had a smaller child with the baby, I would use the sling for the baby for the first 6 months or so and then get a nicer double umbrella stroller that would hold bith kids but not be so darn bulky like a traditional double stroller. Like one of these:

Peg Aria
Maclaren Twin
Combi Twin
Inglesina Twin

I know, those are pricey too, but you can often find them used at the same places. There is a yahoo group called StrollerSwap where the real stroller divas hang out and they often sell their top of the line strollers on there for about what you would pay for your average Graco, etc.

Jenn...who covets a Mountain Buggy Urban Double Stroller

Old 07-01-2005, 09:05 PM - Thread Starter

You guys are so helpful!! I had never heard of those strollers y'all are talking about. Guess I'll have to look into that more seriously, but we're definitely removing the Eddie Bauer from our list!!

I am also glad some of you mentioned the Amby. I heard about it last year but I was under the impression it was mostly for infants with reflux. I just went to their webpage and read all about it and I am totally going to get one!! I will just use that upstairs and then have the swing and the pack'n'play (with bassinet built-in) downstairs. I think that'll take care of us, right?

OK as for the pump, do I need one? I'm going to be staying home so....should I have one just in case?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 07-01-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy*
OK as for the pump, do I need one? I'm going to be staying home so....should I have one just in case?
Honestly I think so. I have NEVER been so relieved in all my life as when that electric pump was delivered to my door! I got a super cheapo hand pump to start with (just to releive a little engorgement) and it was so awful, I would have a screaming newborn who couldn't latch on to my rock hard breasts, and I was struggling and sweating with that awful pump. It is SO much easier just to hook yourself up and do a few pumps and be ready to nurse. And if you're going out away from baby and need to leave a bottle it'll only take a few minutes to get one.

I have heard the Avent Isis is a good quality hand pump that works well once you get the hang of it.

If you're not going back to work I don't know that you'll need an electric pump, however, I worked part time, and ended up having nursing issues the entire year, so I used that Medela PIS constantly for a whole year! Best money I ever spent, along with my glider rocker!
Old 07-02-2005, 03:18 AM
Banned

I second getting the swing... it's was my favorite item. Emma never stayed in her bouncy seat or the excer-saucer her grandparents got her, by the time she was big enough she wanted to crawl, not be penned in. She was too into moving around and cruising the house. Emma was getting up all by herself and cruising at 7 months. I also never had a playpen, nor will I get one.

I notice lots of people mention they didn't like the graco type stroller/car seat combos because they don't like those type strollers... I loved mine, and the combos are not expensive. I found the umbrella stroller to be unsafe... too flimsy and whatnot.
Old 07-02-2005, 06:01 AM

I've never used a Graco stroller (HATE they way they look)- but IME, you won't get more than a couple of years wear out of an umbrella fold stroller. We've got through two in the past six years.

What we're planning on owning:
-A ring sling
-A wilkinet (www.wilkinet.co.uk ) Somewhere over there will do something similar.
-A cot- you call it a crib. Baby will sleep across the width when tiny for naptimes- so if and when the time comes that cosleeping doesn't work, we have it handy.
Possibly a moses basket, if we see a cheap one.
-3 wheeler travel system- probably either the Britax Trekker, or the Mamas and Papas Ecko 03. We live in an old Roman town with an obscene number of steps and some horrendous footpaths- not many actual cobbles, but that's the best I can say for it. Probably the reason so many of our buggies hit the dust...
-A kitchen sink (instead of a baby bath.) Baby tends to end up in the bath with me anyhow.
-A new lambskin. Both the boys have natural ones- Alex's is patterned, Isaac's is undyed black wool. I'm thinking about going for another black one, because the colour is so gorgeous- I love natural black sheeps wool.
-A bouncy chair in the bath, so I can wipe. (the bath is next to the toilet.)
-A changing mat.
-A basic pump, probably the Isis.
-Snowsuits, hats, vests, and gro-bags.
-Probably a baby sleeping bag.
-An obscene number of muslins.

And I THINK that's my total list. A nice blend of luxury and practicality...with having a November baby, toys, playmats, etc, all make great Xmas presents It's not like s/he is really going to understand Xmas this year.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 07-02-2005, 12:05 PM

For breast pumps for a SAHM, I'd reccoment the Avent Isis. It's a great little pump. I wouldn't shell out the money for a double electric if the Isis does the trick for you. It takes a bit getting used to (talk to a lactation consultant!), but it's really good. I have two double electrics and the Avent and I could get as much with the Avent as I could with the electrics. The electrics were just necessary when I was working and needed both sides emptied at once.
Old 07-02-2005, 01:40 PM

for the Avent Isis pump (ugh...espec when I'm Mrs Milk with engorgement) and the Maclaren stroller (umbrella-type but can open and close with one hand while holding baby and mine has lasted 4 years and counting)
Old 07-02-2005, 07:51 PM

People have been really generous to us with baby gear. Great b/c we are hoping to not register at one of those big corporate stores!

Here is the list of things we have been given so far...no shower or anything...just the generosity of awesome friends! We are so freakin' thankful.

Ring Sling, Baby Bjorn, REI Baby Backpack
Exersaucer
60 Cloth Prefolds, 20 Diaper Covers, 40 Inserts, mamamade AIO
7 Prowraps, Dozen preemie prefolds, snappi, two small covers
Changing Table/Dresser with three drawers/shelves, changing pad
Diaper Genie with bag refills
Baby Tub (2)
Baby Swing, Portable Baby Swing
Baby Papasan/Bouncy Seats (2)
Hanging Jumping Seat (clamps to doorway and hangs down)
Walker
Crib, Mattress and cover, Blankets, Crib bumper, Mirror
Combi Stroller
Infant Car Seat, Newborn Insert, Cozy Fleece Warmers (2), mirror
Hooded baby towel, Bottles
Pack and Play (playpen)
Shopping Cart Cover, Sun Protector for stroller
Breastfeeding books, pillow

B/c I am a first time mom, I actually think there are a few more things that I would like to have. Mostly small cloth diapers, baby gates and another sling or ten, a boppy and a glider/stool, a wooden high chair and a backpack diaper bag. Also, a diaper pail/bag insert...anybody have suggestions for one of these or just use a trashcan, maybe? I'd love some tips!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 07-03-2005, 12:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunter
Also, a diaper pail/bag insert...anybody have suggestions for one of these or just use a trashcan, maybe? I'd love some tips!
We used a big rectangular rubbermaid bin and a large waterproof pail liner. The bag just sorta laid in the bin, we would throw the dipes in and close the lid of the "pail." The $3 bin from Target did wonders to keep the smell out. It sat in our guest bathroom in the tub right behind the shower curtain and no one knew we had a bin full of stinky dipes 12 inches from where they were using the restroom. When the bag inside was full, I carried it down to the washer, dumped the dipes in and threw the bag in with them. It was pretty easy. The only time it smelled was when I opened the lid to add a new diaper.

User Tag List