How much does your doula cost? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 07-25-2005, 10:35 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much, and what's included in the price? We're doula-shopping! And the prices seem a bit high, but it might just be what they are in general or just where we live?
#2 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 02:05 AM
Banned

In my area they charge $500 which includes prenatal visits and 2 visits after labor/delivery.
#3 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 02:09 AM

I'm in Jerusalem, so I don't know how relevant my answer is - but mine is $450 which includes one prenatal visit and as many hours as the birth takes. I have a good friend in Chicago, and hers is $750!
#4 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 09:04 AM

I charge $475 for 2 (or more, if needed) prenatal visits, the birth and 1 (or more, if needed) post-natal visit. More experienced doulas in my area charge $500-600 (Atlanta).

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#5 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 09:46 AM

I am in Atlantic Canada. My doula charges $300, which included three prenatals visits (two hours each), the birth, and three post-natal visits, as well as as many phone calls/emails as we need.
#6 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 10:04 AM

I found a student doula who will attend for free, if for some odd reason I should end up birthing in the hospital. Because the hospital is over 2 hours from my house, it would normally include pre and post visits but we're skipping those.
#7 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 04:30 PM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, so does $650-1000 (I guess, depending on what we want to pay at the end, after the small initial deposit) seem like a LOT? But there are two two-hour visits, the whole birth, several follow up visits, including one long one at the end of two weeks where she will give us her notes.

She is also very experienced (20+ years), kind, and is rumored to be very dependable and , which I've heard is sometimes a problem with doulas (as in, not being dependable).
#8 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 05:50 PM

Ours is $500, which includes two pre- and two post-visits, and of course however long labor takes. We live in the midwest, and I think that's about average.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#9 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 09:29 PM

I'm on the high end at $875, payable in 2 paymnets. Our birth is totally covered by HMO (which is dirt cheap through my fellowship) so we feel OK paying this. She is highly recommended and she includes the usual 2 visits, the whole labor/birth, and a post-partum day. If she helps us as much as she seemed to help her references who I talked to, it will be worth it. Also, she does "unlimited massage" and she seems like a pretty strong woman so she should have stamina!
#10 of 21 Old 07-26-2005, 09:36 PM

Mine was $800
#11 of 21 Old 07-28-2005, 09:54 AM

I have a student one also. She teaches nursing at a community college and just started becoming a doula. She thinks even after she is done with her training she will still do it for free because she wants everyone to have the opportunity to have a doula
#12 of 21 Old 07-28-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by memory maker
I have a student one also. She teaches nursing at a community college and just started becoming a doula. She thinks even after she is done with her training she will still do it for free because she wants everyone to have the opportunity to have a doula
LOL, that's why I will never be a rich doula. I would rather offer my services nearly free than not help someone at their birth. But I stopped doing totally free because then people are more apt to take advantage of you and not respect the service you are providing. So my "volunteer" doula services are $100. It covers my childcare, parking, etc. Just not my time.

#13 of 21 Old 07-28-2005, 10:58 AM

I don't know how much my doula fees are. : It's about $2300.00 total for the MW and doula. !!!covered by our insurance!!!

Includes pre-natal visits, birthing classes, birth, and four post-natal visits. Plus, I talk with her almost once a week. She came to my pool and taught pre-natal aerobics once and will come, again in August!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#14 of 21 Old 08-07-2005, 06:25 PM

So, I'm curious then, if the hospital only allows2 people in delivery, then that would be my DH and my Doula, right?

Or does a Doula not count? I'd sure like my mom to get to be in L&D with me.

-Christy
#15 of 21 Old 08-07-2005, 07:01 PM

I would question the policy of "only 2 people". You are the paying customer and should have as many support people as you deem necessary. A lot of time, this is an unstated rule, but very few hospitals actually enforce it. But if you find out that yours does, you might need to do some finagling ahead of time to get your wishes respected or find another place to birth, if possible. I know that sounds drastic, but this seems like such and archaic rule, it makes me wonder what else they might do that would be outdated (mandatory separation of mom/baby, sugar water, etc)

And yes, they would count the doula as one of those people, since she would be employed by you and not the hospital staff.

#16 of 21 Old 08-07-2005, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Bodogirl, you are having twins - are you having a planned c-section or will they "let" you attempt vaginal delivery? I have heard that hospitals will limit visitors in the operating room due to size and other restrictions... It doesn't make sense outside of the operating room though.
#17 of 21 Old 08-18-2005, 02:06 AM

has me labor in L&D and then somehow, they'll tell me to stop pushing so I can be wheeled off to OR, "In Case Something Happens".

So, I'll get to deliver in the OR regardless of vaginal or c.

I'm praying for the c. Doing visuals and everything. I think my little beans will cooperate.

As far as more than 2 people in OR, I have to get doctor permission for more due to limited space. At least that's the hospital party line.

Thanks for responding!

Christy S in TX aka Bodogirl
#18 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 12:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BodoGirl
So, I'm curious then, if the hospital only allows2 people in delivery, then that would be my DH and my Doula, right?

Or does a Doula not count? I'd sure like my mom to get to be in L&D with me.

-Christy

That is total BS... are they in the dinosaur ages? I would go to a different hospitall (if this is their policy, I wonder what other policies they have...)

They can always move you to the OR. Sounds like this Dr is all set and ready for a c-section IMO.
#19 of 21 Old 08-22-2005, 02:44 AM

I'm shopping around right now (I know...late) and got quoted $590. Ack! I paid about $300 for my first one but she's unavailable. I was wondering if it was worth it and DH is absolutely pushing to get someone again - he found her a huge help as he was desperately sick with the flu the first time around
#20 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 11:51 PM

Im late also. We werent going to get one since my job cut my hours, but after alot of consideration we decided to get one. We have an interview with an appentice this weekend & she charges $250. I hope that we do click with her because I dont know where to get another one if we dont
#21 of 21 Old 08-25-2005, 06:21 PM

we are in IA

the one we chose is 400 -- and pretty much we talk and e-mail when we want and she is going to meet with us "a number of times" before the birth, will labor at home with us as long as i want, go to hosptial with us, stay till baby is born (will go to a C with me if i have to have one) and will help me start nurseing before she leaves. we will call or come by to "process birth" the next day -- 24 hours -- and will visit the house once after birth "but call even after that if you need me".

there were others, all around 600 that we didn't choose for different reasons.

the one we chose seemed like hanging out with a friend.

AImee

Aimee + Scott = Theodore Roosevelt (11/05) and 23 months later Charles Abraham (10/07)....praying for a little sister; the search starts May 2014

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page