Weekly chat, August 1 - 7 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 49 Old 08-01-2005, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How much do I love this baby already? I had a really busy weekend, driving 5 hours to a conference, attending sessions all day on Saturday and half of Sunday, and then driving 5 hours back, and baby kept me company with just the sweetest rolls and nudges -- no exhaustion, no queasiness, no uncomfortable feelings whatsoever.

I did hear and feel something pop on Saturday, though. I was just slightly leaning over and I felt what I think was one of my high abdominal muscles snap. It felt like someone had plunked a rubber band too hard, and then I was a bit sore. Later that night that area felt really itchy, so my theory is that I experienced a little spurt of vertical growth of my uterus and my abs didn't accomodate it so well.

My mom, who was a bit skeptical about cloth diapering at first, just bought a few yards of the sweetest Strawberry Shortcake flannel (Strawberry Shortcake was my girl back in the day), and is now excited about making me a few Very Baby AIOs. It's nice when the family members start coming around. (And none too soon, as here at 6 months I was getting a bit tired of explaining/defending/weathering little comments, etc.)

I did have a little sad realization this weekend, though. My Doberman reacted a little funny to my neice, who is 9 months old and crawling around. He'd never seen a crawling baby before, and he started acting a little nervous, kind of like he acts with cats -- pacing, whining a little, being really stiff, and shaking some. He's kind of a nutty guy, and we deal with a lot of his eccentricities, but this behavior scared me and put a germ of doubt in my mind that he will adjust well to the new baby. It's nothing I'm trying to make a decision about right away, but it's sad to even have to begin thinking about it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 49 Old 08-01-2005, 11:05 AM

Spent another weekend cleaning and cleaning and cleaning. After playing vehicle roulette - getting 2 cars fixed to the tune of $1300+. The other car still needs $300 or so of service that we will get done soon. That sucked! Welcome to one income! But by January, we will have no car payment and we would like these cars to last a long time, so we need to put the money into maintenance. Its just amazing how quickly it adds up.

The carpet in the nursery is out, and DH is getting ready to install laminate flooring in there. (One of our cats used a corner of the room as a secondary litter box, so it was nasty in there). While we try to sell, the room will be a playroom, since DS' room is so crowded. Moving his train table and couple bookcases out of his room will make it look much bigger. And hopefully contain the mess better???? Our room still needs a lot of work, but we are getting closer. Depending on when we can get the painting and small repairs done, we might get this house on the market soon.

betheearth, sorry to hear about your dog. Mine has always been skittish around Ben. She has very occassionally growled at him (always when I am watching) and she immediately starts licking him and acting all submissive like she knows she was wrong. I just keep her outside mostly during the day and she comes in to hang with us at night when he is in bed. She also has a room of her own she can hang out in during the day, with a/c. When they are outside together, they are fine. Its just when she gets cornered and he moves too fast. He really could care less about her, too so it has worked so far. No snapping or anything though.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#3 of 49 Old 08-01-2005, 12:56 PM

BeThe Earth,

I have a big dog (110 lb Rottie) who is great around kids. He is our babe though so we wonder how he'll take the adjustment. We have tried to have him around lots of babes and kids his whole life (3 yrs. old in Oct). He is just so big that sometimes he doesn't realize his own power and can be a bit much for small, small kids. He's very attentive when people cry so we hope he will be caring with the babe but not try to paw at her/him. I saw a video called, "But I thought I was your Baby" about helping them adjust.

DH and I spent the weekend with him mom for her b-day and saw other fam. We spent time with his cousins who have four kids; they inspire us as parents. Their kids are all a joy to be around, so happy and well-adjusted. It makes parenting look life fun. They don't let the kids hinder dinners out or camping for a week; they just let things flow. I got lots of belly rubs from two of the kids and the mom. She and I talked about birth, which she actually enjoyed. Yay to hear that!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#4 of 49 Old 08-01-2005, 03:38 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
No dogs here, just a herd of cats, so no helpful advice...

This weekend we celebrated my dd's 14th birthday at Stinson Beach. It was great fun, we grilled veggie burgers & things, my friend dug a monstrous 5ft deep hole in the sand for the little kids to play in, we made ridiculous sand monsters (instead of sand castles), got sunburns even through our sunblock, & couldn't light her candles due to the wind. She had a pirate theme, we flew a pirate flag & had all kinds of ridiculous plastic bugs & eyeballs everywhere. I made her a ginormous card that said "for your 14th birthday, you are going to Burning Man!" with lots of big Bman pics on it (since we are spending soooOoOOo much $$$ on Bman, she already knew that was her main gift from us ). And we gave her a Paypal acct. so she can shop online for her beloved manga. It was all so much fun. *Today* is her ACTUAL 14th birthday... it is SOO weird that I have a 14 yr old. No one ever believes us when we say we're mother & dd. I mean several times people have laughed out loud & refused to believe that we're not joking. Haha. It's great though. She has made my life what it is. Having her (even though I was 16) was the greatest thing I've ever done. She is amazing.

I have SOOOOOO much to do!! So much regular stuff, so much homeschooling stuff, so much paperwork, so unbelievably much to accomplish in the next 28 days before we leave for bman. SO much! Ack!

In the last weekly chat one of you recommended Target for cheap camping chairs. I went there specifically because of your recommendation & you are right!! Wow, they're far cheaper than Ebay or anywhere else I've looked! I'm totally buying our chairs from there, thank you!

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#5 of 49 Old 08-01-2005, 06:34 PM

Hello everyone. How was your weekend? Mine was good. We went out to dinner with my FIL and hung out with friends on Saturday night. We stayed out WAY too late... 2am! Sunday I spent the day with my mom and DD. That was nice. Then my Brother and his family came over. My SIL has a 3 week old. It was so nice to hold a tiny baby again. I can't wait for MY baby to get here... 16 more weeks. Time is flying by. I am watching DH's brother (12yr old) this week. That should keep me busy.
#6 of 49 Old 08-01-2005, 07:29 PM

BeTheEarth- OUCH on the ab muscle! That sounds painful! Isn't' it great to have a little babe to keep us company wherever we go? I just love that!

Jenn- sorry about the cars- ugh, spending $ is car repairs is not fun at all

Other than being exhausted beyond sanity, all is fine here. My good friend came for the weekend and we went to the Women of Faith conference- anyone ever been? They go all over the country. It was really good, we went last year, too. It was great to hang out with a girlfriend, although very difficult to manage ds at the same time- who is totally put off by anyone new being in our house, so he fussed the whole time.

On the good news front, ds peed in the potty today! He's only done it 3 times ever, so it was really exciting. I gave him a nice ice cream sundae with whipped cream and sprinkles (he has growth problems so any excuse for ice cream!!).
#7 of 49 Old 08-01-2005, 09:52 PM

Itsybitsy, sorry to hear about your insomnia. I've been having similar issues this past week (though not as bad as you). I kind of thought it was my body still adjusting to being back from Hawaii, or the heat, or the fact that DH has been gone all week. I really don't know what it is, but I just wake up and lay there forever. Sometimes I go back to sleep and I'm fine til around 8:30 or so, sometimes I just get up. It's frustrating.

Totally unrelatedly, I *love* having a garden!!! This is the first time in my life that I've had one (both grandparents had gardens when I was a kid) but it's absolutely amazing to me how much better our garden-grown veggies taste compared to store-bought (even organic). They have so much flavor it about knocks me over! We also have a productive pear tree, so I'm curious to see how those will be when they ripen.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#8 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 01:26 AM

Hi everyone!

I had a good weekend visiting my grandma and other family. Friday night my husband had a reading about a 45 min drive from my grandma's house, and on the way home I drove over something and got two flat tires! We managed to change one and inflate the other to driveable, and just abandoned the car at a tire shop (it was after midnight) and called my uncle for a ride. I called the shop in the morning, and luckily both were fixed pretty easily. The sight of me filthy from helping to change a tire and crying from discovering the second flat must have been pretty amusing, in retrospect. (Several car loads of mostly drunk young men at the gas station were watching, "Look--she's crying. Do you think we should offer to help?")

Other than that adventure, the weekend was pretty uneventful. We went to a huge potluck/party at my dh's godmother's house Saturday night, and lots of swimming in the lake. I love the summer heat!

More pregnancy related, I had my first question from a stranger today about whether I was pregnant. My little belly has really popped out in the past week- so that I keep bumping into things with it.

Have a great week everyone!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#9 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 02:46 AM

I'm totally there on the insomnia- I think our adventures in the hospital have messed up my system somewhat, as I've been up for an hour already (it's now 5.30am over here.) Our springer spaniel is giving me a look as if to say "can't you see I'm sleeping? Go away" as she was curled up in our computer chair when I came down.
My kids are amazing, too- we spent Saturday night and Sunday getting Isaac's asthma back under control, and discovered that salbutamol inhalers make him high as several kites. It's really not a good thing- so the nurses handed us a buggy and let us take him out for some fresh air to try and calm him down, and we fed the ducks and found a fairy ring of toadstools. You know- just the silly little things that make you happy. I'm getting lots of small blessings like that these days.
Does anyone else want to take their baby out, have a good look and then pop it back in to finish growing? I want to meet Rover now, want to know if s/he has a square face like me and the boys or a heart-shaped face like Steve, when hir eyes are going to change colour, how long hir fingernails are going to be- you know- the stupid little things like that. I don't want to WAIT!!!! (tantrum now over- normal service will be resumed.) Or is this just me? There was a teeny-tiny baby on childrens ward the other night, and every time she cried my baby kicked- he does when the boys are laughing or crying as well. It's really strange- but sad, because I just wanted the little one to feel better as well. It wasn't a "feed me, mummy" cry, either, it was the "get this pain away from me" cry, and I'd forgotten how hard that was to listen to. I was talking to her mum, and apparently she wasn't even due until the end of August.
Lots and lots of customers are getting perplexed by my maternity pinny- emblazoned with the words Yummy Mummy. I guess my tummy muscles are stronger than I thought they were I just remembered that thinking of Mel's story.
Mel- those guys should be shot. It's all I can say. I'm glad you coped, though.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 04:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom
getting 2 cars fixed to the tune of $1300+. The other car still needs $300 or so of service that we will get done soon. That sucked! Welcome to one income!
: us, too! Isn't it funny, the timing of these things!? We had one car fixed for $900 three weeks ago, and now the other one broke down on Sunday and it's $800. And we have decent cars, they aren't all that bad!! And to go to one income, too, ouch! We're in that exact same boat!! Glad to hear there is another family dealing with this at the same time, kind of makes my heart lighter...

The highlight of our weekend was that my best friend from "back home" had an air conditioner shipped to us!!! what a wonderful friend, and I'm soooo happy, it's been hot here and this baby really turns up the thermostat!!!
#11 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Does anyone else want to take their baby out, have a good look and then pop it back in to finish growing?
Yes!! Totally. I had a funny dream last night that the baby had been born (and was actually about 12-18 months old) and I realized that he looked just like my little brother - which is funny, because I'm (apparently) having a girl.

Cynotgirl, your friend sounds like an angel!

#12 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 10:33 AM

Oh yeah, I forgot to post that I am accumulating all kinds of baby stuff all of a sudden. At my last day of work, I received a baby gift from my coworkers (disposable diapers, wipes, etc - they tried :LOL ) and then I bought some tiny infant prefolds and proraps from a friend and then found a bunch of other baby stuff while cleaning (I was a MOE consultant, so its a bunch of cool fuzzi bunz dipes and accessories), and then I went to a consignment sale and bought a few baby outfits.

So suddenly, my one box of infant stuff has expanded to a bag, a box and a laundry basket. It's making me very excited!

#13 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 03:32 PM

im off to the MW but ill write more later.

we were away at a lake for the weekend swimming and soaking up the sunshine.. im going back for 2 weeks as soon as i can!
:LOL

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#14 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
On the good news front, ds peed in the potty today! He's only done it 3 times ever, so it was really exciting. I gave him a nice ice cream sundae with whipped cream and sprinkles (he has growth problems so any excuse for ice cream!!).
Isnt it great when they are starting to figure this out? My dd wore big girl panties all week last week and has so far this week. She only has accidents when she poops. I will be glad to not have 2 kids worth of diaper laundry to do.

I have been doing shopping for my babies coming home outfit. My kids are 6 lbs at birth so regular newborn clothes dont fit. My dd swam in the dress that she came home in. this time I am getting a preemie sized dress. I am thinking about this one
#15 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 05:09 PM

THat is a very sweet outfit, mem. maker! I can't even imagine something so small. Molly was big and Liam is measuring big right now, so I won't even buy something newborn, I'm sure he'll come home in a 3-6 mo. outfit. I remember trying to shove Molly's head through a shirt at two days old (she had a big head too 15 3/4) and once it was on, her bell stuck out and neck rolled over it! :LOL

I'm happy to be officially celebrating the beginning of my third trimester, Yay!! I had the glucose test done this morning, so that was pretty gross, but other than that, I feel really good, and am very excited to meet the little guy. I have a good clue what he looks like, with the 4-D ultrasound, so now I just want to smooch him. Molly yells in my tummy daily for him to come out now All of a sudden, it feels just around the corner. So much to do, so little time. Have a great week everyone!
#16 of 49 Old 08-02-2005, 09:39 PM

Very precious, memorymaker! I haven't thought about a coming-home outfit yet. It'll probably be quite cold by then, so I may not have the opportunity to do anything too girlie.

Anyway, I need to vent. My evening started out with DH saying something innocently about stuff that *I* want to buy for the baby, and I had to point out to him that this is also HIS baby, and these are things we are going to need. I told him it hurts my feelings when he makes it sound like I just want to go on a selfish spending spree for kicks, when in fact *our* daughter will be needing some basics, like diapers and clothes. I think it was mostly me being oversensitive, but it upset me...and when I get upset, it takes a while to calm down (even if I know I'm being reactive). So I cleared that up with him but was still in a mood, and came to check my email and found a message from my best friend, whom I am planning to drive 8+ hours to visit in 2 weeks, saying that that weekend isn't really ideal for her because she needs some alone time with her son before he starts pre-k, so could I come the following weekend when her son with be with his dad. I have already told her I have pretty big plans the following weekend (on Sunday), so I told her again that I can't come at that time, and why. It just really upset me though (and granted, I'm already pissy) because dammit, I have offered to make the drive at 27 weeks pregnant to see her so that we can have some time together before our babies come (she's due 3 weeks after me). It just made me feel totally unappreciated, especially given that I asked her to make the trip to my house in June for my birthday (while she was off from work) and she never seemed too interested in making that happen. :

So I'm going to go walk it off and try not to let everything in the world get under my skin.

#17 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 12:51 AM

well the midwife appointment was great. my BP which has been a bit high the last few times was totally normal today YAY! and baby is measuring 27 weeks at 25 weeks, which for me is normal i think.. elwynn always measured big.. but he was small at birth.. i dunno how that works.. :LOL oh and the MW heard the baby with the fetascope today and then i heard with the stethascope.. it was amazing! im so glad i waited so long.. my only complaint is really bad heartburn oh and ligament pain when i walk. OUCH! but i figure its all okay because im growing a baby in there!!!!! i get so excited sometimes.. like a giddy schoolgirl, if there is such thing..

sorry to hear about all of the lame DP's and friends and flat tires and stuff.. just think, in a few short months you are going to be holding your beautiful babies and none of that stuff will matter

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#18 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 10:51 AM

I do daycare in my home and just started watching a 6 week old little boy. It is so weird to have a tiny baby here again. For those of you with older children I would recommend having someone you know with a baby come over and visit. My ds is used to having a baby since he went through having his sister, but my 2 yr old dd has never really been around babies. It is getting her used to hearing crying (which freaks her out right now) It is also getting everyone used to all the baby stuff around. Im hoping all the newness will wear off by the time our baby comes.
#19 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 01:26 PM - Thread Starter

Amy: We've been enjoying garden produce, too, and while increasingly the vine-ripe tomatoes are exacerbating my already HORRENDOUS heartburn, they do indeed taste wonderful. This was my first year having a veggie garden, and I am SO making this a part of the rest of my life!! Oh, and I wanted to share -- I have been compiling ideas for a children's garden. It's my newest happy daydream. I figure if I start soon, I could have it all "filled in" by the time the babe is ready to enjoy it! I used to design my someday-mansion and yard when I was a kid, complete with notes and drawings; I guess I just haven't grown out of it! Here's the link to my list: www.geocities.com/wemoonspirit/children.html

MelW: Knocking over stuff with the belly, getting caught trying to squeeze between things, catching fallen food with boobs and belly -- not exactly the picture of grace lately myself!!

Flapjack and Amy, I also had a dream about seeing the baby as she looks now. Only she looked cartoonish and weird, like a Looney Tunes baby. I definitely woke up with the thought that she needed to cook for quite a bit longer!

MamaFern, I heard the heartbeat with the fetoscope for the first time yesterday, too! My midwife had been hearing it for the past two visits, but the baby had been swimming away before I could hear it. But after our meeting yesterday she left me with an extra fetoscope she had so I could try for myself. Sure enough, later that night, when I was really quiet and relaxed, I heard it way down low. Luckily it's no so comfortable to have that thing jammed in your belly, otherwise I'd just be laying in bed all day listening!

Memorymaker, my mom had a daycare in her home when we were growing up, and while I never understood it at the time, she loved having the littlest babies. They'd be awake when all the bigger kids were napping, and she'd just rock them and sing to them -- there is something really special about those tiny guys!
#20 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 02:31 PM

Lately I've had tons of energy and have been doing lots of stuff and generally being active dawn to dusk - but this morning it all came back to bite me in the butt. I woke up at 6 am to a massive cramp in my calf (which, in retrospect, is my fault for not stretching properly after doing calf raises during my weights workout yesterday - I am not normally prone to cramps) and after I got finished grimacing over that I opened my eyes to see my darling dog's face about 3 inches from mine, with that hopeful "it's breakfast time, isn't it?" look on it... I had a vague recollection that I wanted to get up early today so I got up, went to get Daisy her food, found her container empty and remembered my husband lugging the new bag of food up the stairs yesterday. So I hauled the bag out of the pantry, feeling my back protest a bit but in more of a "whoa, bit early for that" kind of way than a really bad way, and somehow managed to forget that I was pregnant and could not actually hold the bag the way I normally do, but not until I was already pouring the food into the container, so I managed to spill dog food all over the floor, which of course pleased the dog immensely. My eyes still weren't really open and I didn't feel like making the effort to open them and accurately assess how much food was on the floor, so I just fed her a normal breakfast anyway. Then I completely forgot that I had wanted to get up early, decided that this was all too much trauma for this hour of the morning, and went back to bed for half an hour, until Blobby decided that it was time to get up and started kicking my liver (or something else in there that's moderately uncomfortable but not actually painful). Then I was even MORE tired when I actually got up.

When I got to work I realized that the reason I'd wanted to get up early was to water the garden Poor neglected garden. Fortunately my husband is now doing it and not griping about it like he usually does.

I think Wednesdays are a bad idea, generally. I call for a boycott!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#21 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 02:43 PM

:LOL I feel crappy today too! I didn't realize: it's because it's Wednesday!

Hey Spughy, how the heck do I pronounce your username? "Spuggy?" "Spooo-y?"

#22 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 02:59 PM

Hey Amy,

I find I can blame wednesday for absolutely everything, approximately 14% of the time. It helps

My user name is pronounced "spew -y". My e-mail address has always been "spugh" (first initial, last name) and my last name is pronounced like a church pew. It got morphed thanks to an unfortunate (and unfortunately true) tale of a certain office Christmas party, long long ago, when for some inexplicable reason I decided to enter into a drinking contest with a coworker. (What is more inexplicable is why the company saw fit to provide hard liquor at this party...) This coworker was about 6'5" and weighed about 350 lbs. I am 5'0" and weighed about 125. I did NOT disgrace myself actually at the party, but when I got home I did, in fact, spew. My new boyfriend (who is now my husband) thought it would be a good idea to tell people about this, hence the nickname, which later became a username for a lot of things I use it because it reminds me not to be stupid, because stupid things stay with you a lot longer than smart things!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#23 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 03:22 PM

:LOL at the username, Spughy!

I've spent the last 24 hours lounging and relaxing, after a small episode of spotting yesterday. I was at work when it happened, so I popped in to an empty room to have a quick listen to the heartbeat with a doppler- the joys of working in a hospital. The disadvantage was the offers for help from all of my co-workers when I told them I wanted to go home for the afternoon- they would do a non-stress test, get an ultrasound, call an ob, etc. All of their ways of "helping" seemed like a lot more stress to me, though one co-worker did drive me home, since I had walked to work. I feel their caring, but also their "high-risk/worst-case-scenario" mentality.

I have an appointment with my midwife already for today, so I just called her from work and made sure she was okay with me going home (would have been stupid if she felt the need for me to be at the hospital to leave, but honestly the spotting was light enough that I wasn't worried). So I have my visit this afternoon, and instructions to take it easy until then (no sex, no more bike riding). Last night my husband rented a movie and we had a quiet night in. He told me he appreciated how calm I was about the whole spotting situation, because it helped him to not freak out. I compared a small bleed from my cervix to a small nosebleed- it could be the sign of a brain tumour, but usually it's just because you bumped or picked your nose too hard :LOL That's me, calm and reassuring !

#24 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 04:12 PM

Hi Everyone

So much to say...

Memory Maker- awwww, what a sweet outfit I just love the thought of the 'first outfit'! Ds wore a gender neutral carter's terrycloth suit thingie, and his little blue 'I"m a Maternity Center baby" hat- I keep it where I can see it in his closet and love to look at it. He was a surprise 5.5# so he swam in everything Still does, at 2 1/2

cynotgirl- so sorry about the car repairs That totally stinks.

And for those of you who just heard the baby- I'm so happy for you! What a wonderful sound! I have my 'bebe sounds' monitor from last time- I've been trying with it on and off but so far can't hear anything.

Amy- sorry about the annoying dh and friend issues! I hope you do end up having some nice girl time with your friend before you both have your babies!

Oh, and this is my first year planting anything, either! I have never had any type of garden, so I planted squash and kale....all complete flops! I think I planted them too close. The kale only grew one sprout (like 2 bites worth) and the squash grows to about 1 inch, then rots, even though the plants themselves are flourishing! I hope you are enjoying your home grown produce! sounds marvelous!

MelW- sorry to hear about the spotting- rest up and let us know what the MW says.

Urgh, ds is refusing to nap so I have to go deal with that- I guess I'll be getting no rest again today
#25 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 05:16 PM

Sarah, both of your posts cracked me up. I can totally see me doing the thing with the dog food. What a morning! And then you had to work on to of all that! And your NN is story is really funny. I like the moral of the story.

Quote:
I use it because it reminds me not to be stupid, because stupid things stay with you a lot longer than smart things!
Went hiking with DS and the dog this morning. Oh my aching, out of shape, pregnant self! When I was in shape, I used to hike 3x what I did today and barely feel it. Now, 4 hours later, my hips are aching. Oh man! I also had lunch with one of my doula clients from last month and that was nice. The hike+the lunch knocked DS out, so he is now napping. Ahhh, quiet. My first nap from him since I have been off work. He napped wonderfully for the sitter, but never for me. Even on weekends. I am torn between taking a rest myself or packing up another box from the kitchen. I got a big box packed yesterday of duplicate and non-used stuff, clearing out a nice bit of cabinet space. The more we declutter this house, the more I like it!

So I will probably rest a little and declutter a little. I have been getting around 8 hours of sleep (11ish-7ish) now that I am not working and its so nice. You never really know how sleep deprived you are until you arent.

#26 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 06:09 PM

Just back from the MW, and everything looks great. She did a speculum exam, and my cervix is kind of dark red and friable looking. Totally closed though, so she agrees that I'm fine to go back to work tonight and (more importantly) to have sex again. I guess my body is telling me to slow down a little bit, though- no more really hard bike rides for me.

BensMom- I totally love my house the more I declutter. I wonder why I didn't do it ages ago... I kept thinking we needed a bigger place, but I just realised how much storage space we had once we got rid of all of the junk!

itsybitsy25- I tried growing kale in a planter a couple of summers ago- not very successful at all! I also grew broccoli in a pot, which only produced two little bites in January after an entire summer of nurturing. I don't have a "real" garden, just planters on my patio and I have my best luck with herbs and flowers. At least it's something, and somewhere to put my compost to good use (indoor worm composter).

#27 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 06:42 PM

A little off-topic - kale is a winter crop, so if you live somewhere with nice mild winters like here (west coast) you can plant it in July/Aug and have kale in Nov-Jan. I don't think it likes being hot, at least that's what my seed package says!

#28 of 49 Old 08-03-2005, 11:24 PM

i like planting kale and having a summer crop ( do it somewhere shady..) and then later in summer to have fall and winter crop.. irts very hardy, but it likes to stay wet otherwise it does tend to get aphids..

melW-take it easy, our bodies do tell us things in their own way. im glad its all okay though

im still heartburny but not as much. ive spent the entire day almost luting around reading. i baked bananna bread as well, which is very yummy.. i put too many choc. chips in it though, so its more like cake im having major choc cravings which i think cant help the HB..

elwynn been sick coughing and fevery so its been an excuse to lay low.. but i am going to take the dog and child for a nice evening stroll in a bit..

oh and im going maternity clothes shopping tomorow.. WOOHOO! i want to be a sexy pregnant babe.. :LOL

Quote:

#29 of 49 Old 08-04-2005, 12:15 AM

Mamafern, someone mentioned that mexican chocolate helps heartburn? I have no idea what mexican chocolate is, but I'm improvising...
I felt the need to share this one. Whilst I was tucking Isaac up, he declared that his best friend, Armand, was born in a hippopotamus. We know, because he told him so at snacktime. :LOL
What do I do?? (it definitely wasn't hospital. Armand definitely said hippopotamus- so Isaac definitely believes him. ) AAAAARGH!
The joy of 4- just wait
eta: It's 3.20am here, and I've been having nightmares about purple mould on margarine, the queen coming to tea, and dead babies. I think the hippopotamus is probably the least of my worries.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#30 of 49 Old 08-04-2005, 04:50 PM

Hi everyone! The last time I posted was something like a month ago. I've been so tired and so busy. It seems like I'll have a day or two of major energy spurts with creativity to boot so I'll do a lot of stuff around the house (it's coming but it still doesn't feel like home yet). Then the next couple of days or for the rest of the week I lay around doing the bare minimum. I'm sure the heat has something to do with it.

Baby is good and moving around lots. I am much smaller this pregnancy than the last. I'm measuring right on but I'M not really growing that much. Which is fine. I mean, I don't think I'll be pulling on my old jeans right after the baby is born or anything, I guess I just gained so much weight last time around that I was kind of expecting to be huge this time of the summer. I'm actually going to give my sister in law my large maternity clothes because she is due in Sept and doesn't have anything to wear other than work clothes (my BIL actually said she goes around the house with no clothes on :LOL ) Anyway, I'm still in size small maternity clothes so IF I end up needed the clothes I give her it won't be until after she has her baby anyway.

My blood pressure is really low and my midwife thinks that's why I've been so tired and slightly lightheaded lately. Other than that I feel fine. Heartburn shows its ugly head here and there but I pull my stomach down and it makes it better. Ligament pain is also a yes until dh adjusts me and then I'm fine. My abs seem to be so much more sore this time around too. I think they get quite the work out with all I have to lift Willem up all the time.
Oh he's up from his nap, gotta run.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page