has anyone started Hypnobabies yet? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 08-13-2005, 03:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
*Amy* asked this in the "Childbirth Classes" thread earlier this week....Maybe those of us who are doing the homestudy course could post here about our experiences with it if ya'll are interested...

I started earlier this week--so far, so good! I listen to the "Pregnancy Affirmations" in the car each day (I drive 20 miles to work) and do the regular scripts at night. So far I haven't had a problem staying awake during them, although I kinda zoned out & don't remember any details of the "Painless Childbirth" one (who knows--maybe that was just my deep state of relaxtion! I'm new to this whole hypnosis thing! :LOL )...I'm just keeping an open mind and trying to not focus on doing it "right" (I can be kind of a perfectionist)....

anyone else wish the "Bubble of Peace" script was on CD, too? Haven't done it yet b/c trying to find time for DH or someone else to read it to me. And I really need that one to keep all my negative co-workers from telling me their birthing horror stories! :

looking forward to hearing how it's going for everyone else! Happy weekend, all!
#2 of 26 Old 08-13-2005, 03:39 PM

Oh good idea for a thread, beachbaby. I'll be curious to hear everyone's experience with it.

I ordered mine yesterday and I'm really looking forward to starting!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#3 of 26 Old 08-14-2005, 01:16 AM

Nt
#4 of 26 Old 08-14-2005, 03:24 PM

I think I'm going to start this week or next. I'm 25 weeks right now, and I'd like to get through the whole course twice. Last time I started at 23 weeks and got through it twice and it worked wonderfully for me.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#5 of 26 Old 08-14-2005, 08:21 PM

I've been sort of doing it all along, but not consistently. I really want to start doing it consistently with dh on a nightly basis and start to settle on what imagery and prompt words work for me. I don't have the whole home study course- just the rainbow relaxation (hynobirthing), and the hypnobabies peaceful sleep now and pregnancy affirmations, plus I printed out a bunch of scripts for dh to read me.

I listen to the affirmations in the car (although my commute is only 10 mins so it's in bits and pieces!) and listen to the relaxations at night- however, whenever dh reads me the scripts I definitely fall asleep every time! I think we need to make a tape so I can listen during the day and not fall asleep. Although this is how we did it last time, and it worked for me just fine b/c the affirmations and breathing are what I really used in labor, not the scripts.
#6 of 26 Old 08-15-2005, 09:17 AM

I'll probably be starting next week. I have to get the materials from a friend of mine this week, and I'm on vacation, so I'm too lazy to start something new. :
#7 of 26 Old 08-15-2005, 11:54 AM

I want to start this week. I'm 28 weeks tomorrow. My pregnancy brain is working against me. I keep totally forgetting about it. I need to just put the cd player and binder on pillow when I get home so I can't forget.

Mona
#8 of 26 Old 08-17-2005, 01:40 AM

I tried to start Hypnobabies last week, but I changed my mind and am going to put it off until week 30 or later. DS's naptime is the only time I have to just be me, and I'm not ready to give up 30-40 minutes of it every day to scripts! Plus, I've done hypnosis before, so I can't imagine I need to invest as much time the second time around.
#9 of 26 Old 09-01-2005, 02:51 PM

I just started week #2, and I have to say that I am *loving* hypnobabies (or "hippobabies" as DH calls it). I am kind of amazed at how well I am responding to the suggestions, but I did the first anesthesia CD today and totally could not (did not want to?) move my arms when my switch was off. It was awesome!

I'm also really loving the whole "special place" idea and find myself daydreaming about it a lot when my mind is idle and when I'm going to sleep. I've felt closer to the baby since starting the program, and even much more peaceful overall.

I'm really glad I decided to do it. How are y'all liking it so far?

#10 of 26 Old 09-01-2005, 03:02 PM

I love it! I'm really struggling with anxiety this pregnancy, and I have to say that starting hypnobabies this week has helped. I'm still in my first week, but I'm surprized how much I've retained from my last pregnancy/birth. I bought a shower cd-player so I can listen to the pregnancy affirmations cd every night while I shower ($40 at BB&B). Its a wonderful way to wind down the day!!! Have you listened to that cd yet?

#11 of 26 Old 09-01-2005, 04:08 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by *Amy*
(or "hippobabies" as DH calls it).

Cute! My DH calls it "hippie-babies"

I'm enjoying it so far, too. I think it has really helped with a lot of the anxiety I was starting to feel about the whole birthing process. Plus, it's a also a good way to spend some time each day focusing on me and the baby--I think it's helping be stay relaxed and positive in other areas, too (work, family, etc.)

I have been falling asleep more during the last few sessions, but I think it was due to a busy/stressful week--by the time I get to do the scripts, I've been exhausted. I know it's ok because your subconcious still absorbs the material, but I feel like I really want to be awake to hear what's on the scripts.

Good to hear how everyone else is doing!
#12 of 26 Old 09-01-2005, 05:38 PM

I started it about 2 months ago and it was going great for me. Then I stopped all of a sudden after about 3 weeks and never got back to it. I really want to start again soon, of course, I will have to start from the beginning again. I did enjoy it and I found that those CDs really knocked me out. I just could not stay awake. I, too, really enjoyed listening to what I did remember of them.

Yes, I am a slacker and need to start again now that I hit 30 weeks . . .
#13 of 26 Old 09-01-2005, 08:43 PM

I did fall semi-asleep during one, but I now listen to them around mid-morning after DH is at work and I've eaten breakfast. (I know not everyone has the ability to listen to them at that time though.) Beachbaby, I think I remember reading in the binder that if you do fall asleep, you can like fast-forward over the first couple of minutes and just listen to the core of the CD while you are washing the dishes or cooking dinner or whatever, so that you hear the information in an awake state too.

Yes I have been listening to the affirmations CD, which I LOVE! I find myself nodding along, saying "yes" to so many of them. It's cool.

Hippie-babies. Heh-heh, that is a good one!

#14 of 26 Old 09-02-2005, 12:02 AM

UPS just delivered mine about half an hour ago. I opened the box--does that count for something? :LOL
#15 of 26 Old 10-25-2005, 10:29 AM

How are we all doing with our hypnobabies stuff? I'm in "maintenance" mode and just trying to spend lots of time visualizing a great birth.

I just watched an episode of Baby Story with a hypnomama - she was using Hypnobirthing (or whatever it's called) instead of Hypnobabies though. Anyway it looked like she had a really comfortable and peaceful birth, and seemed to only have discomfort when her baby crowned. She also had a very supportive OB and L&D staff, which obviously helped a lot. So, yay Baby Story for showing an "alternative" birth!!

#16 of 26 Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 AM

but unfortunitly, I am a stay home mom with veary limted income, so buying cds out of the question, no clases are offered in my area(only one class in offered for birth period in our are, and it sucks veary pro c-section and pain killers) : I have been trying to find some one in my area that I can barrow course from or any one who had used the course or taken a class, I even asked my midwife if she knew of anyone who had used the method, no luck. our library has no books on the subject. Any Ideas?

I am starting to get kind of depresed about my lack of luck with finding a solution. I had such a horable delevery with my son and i whanted to have more control over the situation this time. any input is aprecated

: mom of Gavin Rhain and Grant, Doula
#17 of 26 Old 10-25-2005, 01:40 PM

RainRaven, I forked out the big bucks for a hypnobirthing class and while I think it was totally worth it, if you are really motivated and set aside a half hour a day til you give birth to practise, you will probably be able to get most of the benefits.

The basic idea is that a fully relaxed body is able to give birth more smoothly and more gently than one that it tense, so the techniques you learn are all directed towards physical and mental relaxation. The primary technique is visualizations, and in the class I took we were encouraged to create visualizations that were personal to us in any case. We also got a CD with a relaxation "script" and nice music recorded on it, only we ended up making our own recording of the same script, because the voice on the CD annoyed me

What I would do is search the internet for how-to's for self-hypnosis, relaxation scripts, visualizations, etc. Get you partner or a friend to record the scripts for you and play them back to yourself - they don't have to be fancy to work. If you want to get fancy, you can get free software that will let you overlay musical tracks on the recording but that's not really necessary. You can even record them yourself but the idea of listening to my own voice kind of weirded me out a bit

Good luck, I hope you manage to find something that works! Just practice relaxing all your muscles too. If you get braxton hicks contractions, try relaxing yourself as much as possible during them, that'll give you a good start!

This seems like a good self-hypnosis script - you can add in birthing-specific stuff at the appropriate parts, record it and just spend some time every day practising relaxing and visualizing a calm, healthy, gentle birth. script

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#18 of 26 Old 10-25-2005, 04:04 PM

You can join the Yahoo groups Hypnobabies email group, and you can download the text for several of the scripts. Then, either you can record yourself reading them or have your birth coach/partner read them to you daily. Totally free! The entire course is not available in text format, but several of the key scripts are. Good luck!

here's the link to the yahoo group:http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/Hypnobabies/

#19 of 26 Old 10-25-2005, 10:49 PM

thanks , i submited to join the yahoo group, just waiting for aproval now

#20 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 01:42 AM

QofC -- you are the expert here -- someone from the yahoo group posted about nightmares after the fear release CD. I had that, too! I posted back to that group (Julia) but I wonder if anyone here in the DDC has had issues with that. DH heard some of it when I was doing it and said he thought it did a lot to dredge up fears but not much to really deal with them expect sort of "poof" them away
#21 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 10:34 AM

I totally skipped the fear release this pregnancy. I tried it once last time and I didn't feel it was effective or helpful. Don't know if that helps or not!

#22 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagio
someone from the yahoo group posted about nightmares after the fear release CD. I had that, too! I posted back to that group (Julia) but I wonder if anyone here in the DDC has had issues with that. DH heard some of it when I was doing it and said he thought it did a lot to dredge up fears but not much to really deal with them expect sort of "poof" them away
I haven't done the fear release script--I'm sorta scared to after reading about it. DH listened to it and said it wasn't that bad, but I think, for me, it'd do more to bring my fears to the surface rather than get rid of them. I just think I do better focusing on the positive self-talk and affirmations....For what it's worth....
#23 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaby
for me, it'd do more to bring my fears to the surface rather than get rid of them. I just think I do better focusing on the positive self-talk and affirmations
I totally agree! I haven't done it either, and I don't really think I need to. I don't have any huge looming fears really, so I have found the "What if" page (I think it's the very last page of the notebook) helpful. I've just changed all of my negative what-if's to positive what-if's, and that has felt really good and helpful to me.

#24 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 05:03 PM

OK -- I forgot something else about that werid night of nightmares after the fear release -- now it is coming back to me -- that night I had a lot of sweating, sexual dreams and 3, yes, THREE orgasms in my sleep (a record for me). The one disturbing dream that I remember was one where I had sex with DH, he left the room, then I went to find him and it turned out to be my ex-boyfriend who was having a fit and throwing cereal all over my house. Then I couldn't get him to leave. At 5 AM I had to get out of bed because I was so anxious and weird feeling -- AND that day one half of my mouth was really sore because I must have been clenching/grinding my teeth a lot, which I never do. Really really bizarre.

Edit to add: needless to say, I do not reccommend doing the CD, especially this late in the game!
#25 of 26 Old 10-27-2005, 10:34 PM

yahoo group still has me as pending, how long do thay normaly take to aprove?

#26 of 26 Old 10-27-2005, 10:55 PM

A few days, but less than a week.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page