got colostrum? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-15-2005, 05:09 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So, I was showering yesterday morning and looked down at my now pendulous boobs and saw something that wasn't water on my nipples. I gave a gentle squeeze and lo and behold, it was colostrum! I never leaked any at all when i was pg with Sam, so it was kind of cool to see it. Of course, my first thought was - what if I started pumping it? Could I pump a ton of colostrum? (I pumped forever with Sam, so I am sort of an obsessive pumper. It's the neurosis of having to come back to work...). But I was just so happy to see it there, and DH was excited too. I know, it is silly, but it was a joyous moment!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-15-2005, 05:24 PM

Oh, cool! Another pg symptom.

I remember last time, I woke up one morning, I think I was around 7 mos. pg, and my shirt was all wet! I had NO idea what it could be! I was totally shocked, like OMG could it be breastmilk already???? So I guess we're getting near that point again! I haven't had any yet, but I'll be curious to see if I do the same this time.

re: pumping, I know! I will be so tempted to pump/hand express some colostrum for ds-wow, imagine how immune-boosting that would be for him! He really needs it! Although doesn't pumping stimulate contractions? I can't afford to have an early baby!

I can't wait till I really have milk again, I'm going to pump it for ds to put in his sippy cup. I have always felt so guilty b/c of the nursing issues we had, we stopped (or I stopped pumping) at 13 mos. so all the illnesses he's had after that where he's really needed breastmilk I haven't been able to give him any- now I can!!! Yay!
Old 08-15-2005, 05:26 PM

I've got a ton of colostrum now, thanks in part to my toddler who just upped his daily nursing a ton.

I don't see why you couldn't pump, as long as your not having any trouble with pre-term-labor (pumping can start labor because of the nipple stimulation). I know of at least a few breastfeeding books that say not to because you might exhaust your colostrum before the baby is born but that makes no sense to me - those nursing toddlers never "run out" of colostrum, after all!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 08-15-2005, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Oddly enough I still have none whatsoever. I do remember early in my third trimester with DS2 that I leaked a lot so I'm starting to wonder if that's going to happen again.
Old 08-15-2005, 06:21 PM

TONS of colustrum here...since 16 weeks! I had super itchy nipples, and squeezed out a couple of drops when checking for a rash :LOL Now I notice little crusts of dried colostrum on the insides of my bras (or shirts when I go braless) most days.

Everyone in my family who has breastfed had great supply (and occasional over-supply). I remember my mum joking that she could have breastfed the entire neighbourhood. I seem to have inherited some of this, too.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 08-15-2005, 06:26 PM

I was able to squeeze out a couple drops as of a week ago - I was so happy! Yay working boobs!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 08-15-2005, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MelW
TONS of colustrum here...since 16 weeks! I had super itchy nipples, and squeezed out a couple of drops when checking for a rash :LOL Now I notice little crusts of dried colostrum on the insides of my bras (or shirts when I go braless) most days.

Everyone in my family who has breastfed had great supply (and occasional over-supply). I remember my mum joking that she could have breastfed the entire neighbourhood. I seem to have inherited some of this, too.
I had an oversupply with DS until I got pregnant, and I had lots of colostrum during pregnancy. While I don't think that not having abundant colostrum means you'll have supply problems, I think having a lot of colostrum can mean you'll have oversupply issues... DS developed this crazy habit of switching back and forth from paci to breast because he'd get so overwhelmed with the TONS of milk shooting out when he nursed. I even shocked the LLL leader when I sprayed her accidently while nursing him at 8 months! The great news is that with tons of colostrum, DS didn't loose much weight after he was born. Only 1/2 of an ounce before we left the hospital, and he had gained almost 1 lb over his birthweight by his one week appointment!

Old 08-15-2005, 06:36 PM - Thread Starter

It occurred to me that part of the reason I was seeing it early now ws that I nursed Sam for so long that my body is just getting ready to rock and roll.
Old 08-15-2005, 07:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
I had an oversupply with DS until I got pregnant, and I had lots of colostrum during pregnancy. While I don't think that not having abundant colostrum means you'll have supply problems, I think having a lot of colostrum can mean you'll have oversupply issues... DS developed this crazy habit of switching back and forth from paci to breast because he'd get so overwhelmed with the TONS of milk shooting out when he nursed. I even shocked the LLL leader when I sprayed her accidently while nursing him at 8 months! The great news is that with tons of colostrum, DS didn't loose much weight after he was born. Only 1/2 of an ounce before we left the hospital, and he had gained almost 1 lb over his birthweight by his one week appointment!
Perhaps more of a question for the breastfeeding forum, but I'll ask it here. What did you do with your oversupply? I've heard of people pumping off extra, but then wouldn't that just increase it even more? Did you have problems with mastitis (I'm thinking due to not "emptying" your breasts)? I live near a milk bank that is always looking for donors, so I could consider donating if I have an oversupply..but I'd prefer to just get supply/demand regulated.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 08-15-2005, 08:04 PM

Honestly, I didn't do much for my oversupply. The only time I pumped was the weekend my milk came, and I pumped JUST enough to relieve the pressure so it wasn't excruciating (about 16 oz over 48 hours). I've only got a plugged duct - I could tell mastitist was looming - a couple of times since DS was born. Each time I got in bed with a disposable diaper filled with HOT tapwater on my breast and nursed DS as much as possible from that side, while not ignoring the other side, either. Both times it was better by the next morning. DS does prefer the paci to comfort nursing because he gets tons of milk when all he wants is to suck. Luckily, I had a baby with a HUGE appetite, so the oversupply was never a terrible problem for me - I just couldn't be away from him for more than a couple hours ever - but since I'm a SAHM that wasn't a problem!

Old 08-15-2005, 08:28 PM

Me, me, I got colostrum already. I find it somewhat not fun regarding the intimate aspects of my lovelife, hoping that this issue would not start up quite yet, seeing as there's NO ONE TO FEED.

I also had plenty before my daughter's birth, and I had LOTS of milk afterwards. The lactation consultant said something about feeding a school bus full of starving babies. It was way too much for my (preemie) daughter and the "spraying" that Queen of Cups described would overwhelm her. I also had a snacky-baby who thought I was a Doritos dispenser and would only have a little bit at a time, frequently...just making the problem worse.

I didn't pump, because pumping made it worse - I did hand expression to relieve pressure but not send signal to my body that there were not starving triplets on hand.
Old 08-15-2005, 10:21 PM

I've been getting crusty deposits in my nipples for a while now, and yesterday, had a single clear drop come out on each side. Is this colostrum?
Old 08-15-2005, 10:30 PM

I had some with both of my pregnancy's...I think starting around 7 or 8 months. I was totally excited too and wrote it in my pregancy journals.

Weird though....I noticed some milk when I was changing the other day and I'm not nursing anymore! I have no ides why....it's been 3.5 months since my baby weaned!

I'm excited for you though!!!
Old 08-15-2005, 10:41 PM

Nothing here yet. I had a pretty tenuous supply last time. I pumped for the 2 days a week I worked and was always struggling to get enough for when I was gone. DS ate often and even when he took a bottle he only drank 2-3 oz max. My breats are much bigger this time around, so I was hoping for a little more supply, just for some extra insurance. I read somewhere that you grow new milk ducts with each pregnancy. That would be cool for me.

I did have a few blocked ducts, never full blown mastitis. Mine were mostly from pressure on one side, sleeping wrong, etc.

So excited to nurse another babe! DS weaned in May 2003, so it'll have been 2.5 years. A nice break, but I'm ready.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 08-15-2005, 11:13 PM

No colostrum here. I am amazed that so many of you have it already. I'm kinda jealous.
Old 08-16-2005, 12:14 AM

Old 08-16-2005, 12:35 AM

yup.. the last week or so ive had it. i actually tried to convince my son to nurse now that i have something to nurse on, but he flatly refused and said " im too big momma" i almost cried.. he's been sick and i though what better thing could he eat than colostrum, but no... so alas ill have to wait another 3 months.. ive been having that itchy, full need to nurse a baby feeling lately so im a bit impatient.. which is funny because a few months ago that was the last thing i wanted to do..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-16-2005, 01:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabeamom
I've been getting crusty deposits in my nipples for a while now, and yesterday, had a single clear drop come out on each side. Is this colostrum?
Yep!

Old 08-16-2005, 04:11 AM

Nothing here, yet. I am really stoked about breast feeding so it will be so exciting to experience such preparation soon!!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 08-16-2005, 05:34 AM

I've got crusts- nothing more, but i'm also getting a few shooting pains in my breast and I'm not sure what's going on there.
As far as oversupply goes, with Alex the whole family was swimming in milk- literally, when we woke up in the morning the bottom of the bed was wet, as well as the top, sides and middle. When Isaac was born, I made a real effort to try to keep him to one breast per hour, and that probably worked better for us.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-16-2005, 10:59 AM - Thread Starter

I had mastitis. It was awful. It came because Sam had been having trouble nursing so I was pumping and feeding him EBM through a finger tube and then the supplementer at the breast (never any formula though, which made us happy) and then when he started nursing well I didn't wean myself off the pump and I got so sick and then that affected my supply and then I had to start pumping again to get back up to speed...man it was crazy. Hoping for a much smoother bf start this time around. I know I can do it.

I have to squeeze a bit to get the colostrum out, but it sure is there. I've had the yellowish crusties for a while now, but I only found the source this weekend.
Old 08-16-2005, 11:47 AM

I don't have anything. Am I defective? I'm 25.5 weeks, so a little behind most of you. Is it normal to not have colostrum?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 08-16-2005, 11:52 AM

Me, me, me!!! I've been getting some leaking for almost 2 months now. I think it's cool! (I tasted it once, it's kinda salty..)
Old 08-16-2005, 12:03 PM - Thread Starter

Amy, it's totally normal to not have it. I didn't have any with Sam, which was why I was particularly surprised to see it this time, and for me I attribute it 100% to experience nursing Sam, so my body just got into the swing of it faster.

Oetien, I tasted it too. I was surprised how thick it was, especially compared to the milk that comes later!
Old 08-16-2005, 01:08 PM

No.. not yet.
I had such heavy letdowns with both kid I'm hoping I have as much milk this time around.
Both kids are so sick with a case of the back-to-school gunkies I really wish I had something/anything I could pump out and give them as well!!!
I swear with this baby I'm going to pump and gallons of Mommy Milk for my other 2 kids (in addition to nursing this baby) IF I'm so blessed with oversupply issues again.
Old 08-16-2005, 01:58 PM

Interesting that so many are planning to give some BM to their older kids. I would have never thought of that. Hmmm...Ben would surely benefit from an immune boost right in the middle of winter.

But what if he didnt drink it? The kid rarely drinks cow milk or juice, he is a water guy through and through. I think I would just die if he rejected my precious liquid gold! :LOL Guess its worth a try.

I dont think I could tell DH, he would think it was weird or something. Silly man.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 08-16-2005, 02:02 PM - Thread Starter

Sam self-weaned a little over a year ago and really seems to see "boobie milk" now as something for babies, though he is curious about it. I have no idea if he'd take it or not. I think maybe if it was in the fridge? it is so much sweeter than regular milk, I can't imagine that they wouldn't like it. If he wants to try some, I'll let him, but we'll see. I'm interested to see how it all plays out.
Old 08-16-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom
Interesting that so many are planning to give some BM to their older kids. I would have never thought of that. Hmmm...Ben would surely benefit from an immune boost right in the middle of winter.

But what if he didnt drink it? The kid rarely drinks cow milk or juice, he is a water guy through and through. I think I would just die if he rejected my precious liquid gold! :LOL Guess its worth a try.

I dont think I could tell DH, he would think it was weird or something. Silly man.
Yeah, there is pretty much no way my five year old would take BM in any form. Our family predominantly drinks nonfat or 1 percent milk, and I must admit that I'm not personally not a fan of the way BM tastes either. And mine, after being refrigerated, my daughter even as a newborn wouldn't take it. No bottles for her...It must have changed the taste or consistency. Room temp only! Whatta princess!

I have heard that after a certain amount of time, some children forget how to latch correctly? So it really is impossible for some of the older toddlers to nurse again.
Old 08-16-2005, 03:23 PM

This may sound weird, but I remember what BM tastes like because my mom used to give me some as a treat when my youngest sister was nursing - I was 4. We called it "bugoo juice", which I still think is cute

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 08-16-2005, 03:37 PM

I'have had som colostrum since about 20 weeks or so. I never had any with Mary Rose, so it is very exciting to feel I am having a helathy normal pregnancy. Both my peri and OB were very encouraging about it. THey told me that was just my body getting geared up to feed my baby. YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Gossamer

Before you were conceived, I wanted you. Before you were born I loved you. Before you were a minute old, I would have died for you. That is the miracle of life. ~Maureen Hawkins~

User Tag List