Nesting and shopping - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 02:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I can't take it anymore - i need to start getting stuff ready for this baby. DH is being a big help - he actually cleaned the fridge yesteday! Yay! What a difference that makes! But we've been starting to buy little things that we need - like a salad spinner so we can eat more salad instead f cooking greens all the time. And a new shower caddy so our bathroom can be nicer. Tomorrow I intend to clean the bathroom.

Then, I'm looking at what I need for baby. One of my clients sent me a bouncy seat and a swing as a gift, so those are on their way to my house. Yay! And I just started buying pumping related stuff. I have to face it- even if I do get to work from home one day a week, which isn't looking super likely with my promotion (but I'll still try!), I'm going to need to pump. The thing I hated most about pumping was dragging my pump back and forth from work to home. So I spoke to DH and said that I thought I'd like to buy a 2nd pump for work, so I can have one at home to pump for fresh milk in the AM before work and on weekends, etc, and one at the office where I can just carry the milk storage freezer bag thingy back and forth (glad I'm so articulate today! ha!). And he totally agreed. So I ordered that (I found what seems to be the best price...about $225) and I also got some milk storage bags and this really cool thing for working moms where you put your pump parts in the microwave and it cleans them, so you don't have to being them home every day to boil them. Brilliant! So I'm excited about all that.

We may go to try some mattresses this weekend because the mattress place in the city is having a 70% off sale. Then after that, we'll need at least one dresser, and the other stuff will mostly be clothes, depending on if we have a boy or a girl. When it cools off a little more, we're going to start organizing the apartment, but I think we're pretty close to that. I need it to happen. Sam won't be thrilled by me cleaning so much tomorrow, but it needs to happen, because I CAN'T TAKE IT ANYMORE! I MUST CLEAN!!!!! I MUST ORGANIZE!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 04:11 PM

Ah, nesting
I got started- all of my stuff is cleared out of what WILL be the playroom, but a heatwave hit before the boys and I could start painting. My mum has gently said that it would take a major disaster before she slept in that room, so we're no longer worrying about the sofa-bed. Baby stuff is 90% there- the bedding needs boil-washing or dying, and I'm working on the pretty yet functional bits and pieces now- a canopy for the crib for the baby to nap in, a quilt of his/her own (family tradition), a stocking- things like that- and finishing off the nappy stash.
Other than that, I think we're pretty much there. We've made an agreement to keep the tiny car and walk everywhere locally so I can take my full year's mat leave, rather than paying out on a seven-seater, so that's ONE job I don't need- and everything else is just swimming along steadily.
Isn't it scary how sometimes housework actually feels- you know, right? Maybe even good?

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#3 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 04:12 PM

I can relate! I am just realizing that there will be a little person here come November and that I really should get some things ready for him/her!

You would think having just moved into a new house things would be pretty well organized (or at least we wouldn't have packed and moved stuff we really don't need/have room for), but....there are still boxes everywhere in the guest/baby room that need going-through. I want to get some large containers to put sweaters/seasonal clothes in and store in the attic. I just can't get motivated enough to do it all! My 2 girlfriends offered to come paint for us, so maybe I should just set a date and that would force me to get it all cleared out before they come.

And the papers are driving me crazy! I just shredded and recycled 2 big bags of junk mail/old bills/catalogs in the office. That made me feel better although I am still in search of the perfect system for bills/filing paperwork....

At least the living room and kitchen are pretty well organized now. The in-laws helped hang new bamboo roman shades in the living room last week--makes a big difference from the white, plastic mini-blinds! Even though it's not really baby-related, at least it satisfies my nesting urges and gets the house looking better in general.

happy nesting, mamas!
#4 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 05:37 PM

My goal is to be completely ready for 34 weeks. I was induced at 35 w/my son and was on bedrest at 34 weeks.

I am now 10.5 weeks away from my due date, which could mean as little as 6-ish weeks. :

I have everything I could possibly NEED and am only missing a couple things I *want*.

I just have to wash the basket of clothes and the bed sheet and pack my bag. I've been doing little projects around the house, just organizing stuff. Getting the kids' rooms upstairs settled, that kind of thing.

I'm ready!!! :LOL
#5 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 06:52 PM

I think the fever's just struck us all. I've just gone mental with nesting in the last few days...out of the blue. DD2's nursery is covered in empty storage containers with contents all over the floor - baby clothes, sling, etc. etc. ad nauseum. I've prepared an emergency welcome basket in case she arrives early (sleepers, dipes, etc.) I've been harassing poor DH about speeding up our home reno, of which there's a ton (just moved into a new place). Already planned what I need to buy 'asap' (dipe shirts, more sleepers, etc.) and was ready to go out *that night* to do it. Of course, b/c this is DD2 born int he same month as DD1, just about every thing we had for her will be used for #2, but there's always SOMETHING...
#6 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 07:39 PM

I guess I started nesting early. The baby's room is pretty much set up. There are even clothes in the drawers and closet. I have tubs of bigger size clothes in the closet. They are all separated by size. Good thing I am having another girl. I do need to pack my bag for the hospital though. We will probably put all of the gizmos and gagets (swing, bouncer, etc.) together around 35-36 weeks. Can't forget about the car seat! I am having a baby shower on 9/10 so there will be more stuff to organize. Oh joy.

Good luck to you all. November is coming fast. August is almost over. As if I needed to remind anyone.
#7 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 08:23 PM

I have done nothing, nada, zippo to get ready yet. I have boxes of baby stuff up in the attic (donations from friends) - completely unsorted, I don't even know what's in there, my MIL is already shopping for (unsuitable) baby clothes, and I'm just now getting to the stage of thinking that maybe I might want to start thinking about making food. But I'm not thinking very hard about that. DH is supposedly buying me a pressure cooker for my birthday; when and if that materializes I might do more.

Either this means I'm going to be a lousy parent, or I'll be struck with nesting syndrome a few weeks from giving birth, when I will be all huge and uncomfortable. Yay me.

Vaguely off-topic - does anyone have experience preserving chestnuts? The thought occurs that there are billions of chestnut trees around here, many of them far enough from roads that they aren't contaminated, and I can probably gather lots when they're ready, and since chestnuts are all starch and no protein, they'd be nice digestible baby food, and a good alternative to commercial baby cereals. Possibly roasted then canned in broth or water? And yes I do know the difference betweeen horse chestnuts and sweet chestnuts. I know how to make candied chestnuts but those aren't really suitable for babies.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#8 of 21 Old 08-19-2005, 11:19 PM

I am in nesting mode all of a sudden and it hit like a ton of bricks. Technically I have 12.5 weeks to go but both of my kids were 36 weekers so I wouldn't be shocked if this baby came in 8.5 weeks. UNfortunately this pg has just flown by because we're in the midst of a major house remodel. So here I am now, feeling like I'm still living in a crackden with all the chaos around us, and this baby is probably 2ish mos away. Ack! So far this week I've literally gone through a gallon and a half of paint just painting areas that still needed repainting. I've taped and spackled 3 walls myself after DH installed new drywall, I scraped the popcorn from half of our kitchen ceiling then swept up all that crap which managed to go everywhere and stick everywhere. MOST importantly (ok for me anyway) I found a guy locally who will help out with some meals the week the baby gets here. We're in FL solo and no real support system and although I do plan to freeze some meals prior to my EDD I think having a few dinners brought to us would be awesome!!! The only biggies I have left to are reassemble the crib (to sidecar to our bed) and buy new cloth diapers. (gee, is that all??????) Oh and I still have some painting and decorating to do on the house. We also hope to have our redo our bath before the baby. LOL
#9 of 21 Old 08-20-2005, 12:16 AM

My husband is a builder and up to his eyeballs in work right now. He is ACTUALLY *working* 10 hour days, 5 days a week!! :LOL

Our house has been "under construction" for the last 3 yrs. I have yet to have a baby home in a complete house. We have SO much that I would love to get done, but I doubt it with his current schedule.

I also get frustrated because there are large pieces of furniture that I need moved around and I can't do it myself. I need to get the screwgun from him to take things apart, put things together etc, but he always has it on the trailer! I want my own!!! :LOL

It's hard to nest and be at the mercy of others at the same time!!!
#10 of 21 Old 08-20-2005, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma
My husband is a builder and up to his eyeballs in work right now. He is ACTUALLY *working* 10 hour days, 5 days a week!! :LOL

Our house has been "under construction" for the last 3 yrs. I have yet to have a baby home in a complete house. We have SO much that I would love to get done, but I doubt it with his current schedule.

I also get frustrated because there are large pieces of furniture that I need moved around and I can't do it myself. I need to get the screwgun from him to take things apart, put things together etc, but he always has it on the trailer! I want my own!!! :LOL

It's hard to nest and be at the mercy of others at the same time!!!
Amen!
(wanna borrow my screwgun? I started to hide my own stash of tools since my dh never puts anything away... )
#11 of 21 Old 08-21-2005, 08:48 PM

I've had the nesting bug for awhile now... the funny part is that we live in a *tiny* 1 bd apartment, so there aren't too many things to do! But we're getting creative with our space, so it's fun!

yay, babies are so fun, and baby stuff is sooo cute! I'm loving looking at clothes and "stuff", but not buying anything, waiting for the baby showers our families are having for us.

Have fun, gals!
#12 of 21 Old 08-22-2005, 11:19 AM - Thread Starter

DH really helped me out with this, because I was starting to FREAK OUT about things not getting done. He basically said, look: everything will get done. The worst thing that will happen is that not everything will be done when the baby is born, and then we'll get everything done. I'll be home for 3 months, he'll be home, Sam will be in school, so we'll have time. It actualy really helped me relax about it. Things will get done,slowly but surely, but the fact is that most of the domestic stuff does fall on him since I work all day,so I really can't be pushy about getting things done on my scheudle, KWIM? I'm cool with all of it.
#13 of 21 Old 08-22-2005, 12:09 PM

I am feeling like such a slacker right now! I hardly have any clothes yet for the little guy let alone all this other cleaning done. Now that could be due to living in a hotel and all the other craziness for the past couple months, but I never had a huge nesting urge with dd either. My mother and some other relatives do have boxes of boys clothes that are waiting to be sent to us once we are settled in somewhere. I do have most of the major baby stuff we will need for the little guy in storage and will get it out when we move in. I also have a list of the few things we need to get, but as our storage is packed full I won't be buying anything else until we are moved in. I think dh is actually having a worse time with his nesting urges then I am. He is talking about going to antique or resell furniture places looking a dresser and maybe a rocker to strip and refinsh before Joseph gets here. I am taking things much easier, but that could be because we moved a month before dd was born and I am used to waiting to the last minute to get baby things ready.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#14 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 09:05 AM

The nesting bug has recently hit me HARD. For most of this pregnancy, I've been thinking it was no big deal, since DD is only 21 months and this baby will be born in the same month...even if it's a different sex, we really have everything we need. But in the past couple of weeks, I've started to freak out a little. I need to organize all the baby stuff. I need to have things to put it in. I need to clean out our office, move all the office stuff to another room, paint and decorate (even though the baby will be sleeping with us...it makes my in-laws happy to paint, so I let them!).

Also need to buy a freezer so that I can put some meals away for later. And DH needs to shop for a new car. Two carseats don't work well in our little Golf, sadly, so we need something else (no "Axel of Evil", however!). Then, I need to make curtains for two other rooms in the house, knit, clean....UGH!

Reading this thread has made it worse. I'm off to make a list!

#15 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 09:28 AM

Erm, not meaning to criticise anyone, BUT:
Two car seats can work in a Golf, if you mean a VW. We did it for years, and then went to a smaller car (we currently have two car seats in a Nissan Micra- do you have them over there?). I know you end up short on boot space, but for the sake of the fuel consumption it's worth trying to keep to a small car for as long as possible. VW's have fantastic side impact bars, like Volvos and Audis.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#16 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 11:12 AM

I am between 30-35 weeks. I will be having my share of packing or more so organizing as the the movers are doing a total pack to unpack for us. But still...uck.

If our home does not sell by the time I am 34-35 weeks, we are moving to an apartment 2 hours from our home where my husband's new job is.

If it does sell in the next month or two, we are moving to new to us (previously owned) house OR into a temp apartment while we build a new home.

AHHHHH.

I have been sewing cloth diaper stuff like crazy and have all of the diaper covers, girl clothing, 1 pack of disposables, a new carseat, slings all washed. I even made a new diaper bag last week. I still need to get a safer bather bath mat, another sling and a new medela PIS advanced pump, milk storage bags, lansinoh disposable nursing pads and a post partum mama kit from earthmama angel baby.

I have to talk to my midwife to see if she takes care of post partum supplies of if we need to. And then I need to figure out what I would need there.

I know I am forgetting something....; )
#17 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flapjack
Erm, not meaning to criticise anyone, BUT:
Two car seats can work in a Golf, if you mean a VW. We did it for years, and then went to a smaller car (we currently have two car seats in a Nissan Micra- do you have them over there?). I know you end up short on boot space, but for the sake of the fuel consumption it's worth trying to keep to a small car for as long as possible. VW's have fantastic side impact bars, like Volvos and Audis.
We've had two carseats in our Golf, and it didn't work. DH needs the seat all the way back in order to drive, so one of the carseats gets squashed and de-stablized. But no fear! As I said, we're going for another smallish car, probably a Jetta, that has a wee bit more breathing space and is still reasonable on gas.
#18 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 03:29 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
#19 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 04:16 PM

I have a small shopping list of stuff for the baby and it keeps growing - but I have had no motivation to list anything on ebay! (so I can fund my shopping) :LOL
#20 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 05:17 PM

I went to Babies r Us today to look around at bassinettes etc., didn't buy anything, then came home and cried. My husband then sent out a mass e-mail to a bunch of friends and colleagues to see if anyone has some used stuff they want to lend/sell to us. We're still agonizing over sleeping arrangements, but I'm trying to avoid ever going back to that gigantic store again... it scares the crap out of me. There are some things on their baby "essentials" checklist that I didn't even know existed.

I am totally nesting, but not shopping. I might work up the nerve to check out some consignment baby stores later in the week. I've always hated shopping, and usually put it off until the last minute...especially if it involves malls or big box stores (or anything else with fluorescent lights). I'd rather stay at home and scrub the house from top to bottom again.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#21 of 21 Old 08-24-2005, 06:58 PM

MelW - I hear you about babiesrus. That place drives me nutty!

The mass email is a good idea. We've been asking around about borrowing a bassinet. Like you, I'm not sure about sleeping arrangements and I want to have several options available.

You can also check your local freecycle list.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page