Looking back on your predictions... (or maybe wildest hopes) - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 08-22-2005, 05:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
So SoggyGranolaMomma's thread on being so ready for this thing to be over got me thinking of all the ways this pregnancy has been NOT what I expected:

I thought I would carry high and graceful, like my mom and both my sisters. Nope. Low and kind of slopy. More simian.

I thought I would eat only organic foods and would approximate my total nutritional requirements every day. See weekly chat post about preserved fig meal this afternoon.

I thought I would be the healthiest I'd ever been in my life, maintaining a regular but gentle exercise schedule. Today I walked to the mailbox (at the end of the driveway) and made a trip to the copy machine on the other side of the school. Both these activities winded me. And yes, that's all the walking I did today.

I thought I'd have all the best birth books read and assimilated. They sit collecting dust in a neat pile on my nightstand. I think I may have looked at the pictures in half of them. From these images I learned, several times over, how to coax out inverted nipples, but not how to have a zen-like birth experience.

I thought I would have been putting aside enough money these past several months to gradually be buying most of the major necessities. The good news is I haven't gotten one of those friendly little postcards from the bank announcing I've bounced a check and they're holding my single-digit balance for ransom. The bad news is if I actually made any of these major purchases at this very moment, they'd release the hounds.

And here's the best one -- I thought that this incredibly huge change coming into my life would... hahaha, I can't even say it... INSPIRE ME TO BE MORE ORGANIZED. I'm tempted to post a picture of my living room, specifically my living room table, piled chin-high with papers and who-knows-what-esle, but I'm afraid the flash would tip it over. It's a precarious existence here.

So please tell me that you, too, had the best of intentions, and that maybe one or two of them slipped through the cracks somewhere along the way. Please?
#2 of 7 Old 08-22-2005, 06:25 PM

Ohhh yes! Good one, BTE.

OK, I definitely thought I'd be in the eating only organic, no junk food group. I have to say in this pregnancy I've eaten more junk than I did before pregnancy, because it just makes me feel so good! : Pre-pregnancy, I even had the nerve to be appalled at a pregnant friend who was eating Cheetos 2 weeks before her baby was due. Now I'm like, hey do we have any more chocolate-chocolate chip cookies to go with these tater-tots??

I also thought I'd exercise more, even just walking, but it's been so blasted hot and humid here, and the gym is a 20-minute drive, so that hasn't been happening either. I'm really out of shape. I would like to start swimming once the indoor pool opens again though.

I think that's all I can think of at the moment.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#3 of 7 Old 08-23-2005, 03:02 AM

#4 of 7 Old 08-23-2005, 07:48 AM

I agree with all of the above plus

I thought I'd only go to restaurants that serve organic meat.

I thought I'd never skip more than a day of walking. The dog's leash is getting dusty, and he ate a book last night because he hadn't been walked all week.

I thought I'd have met with a financial planner, had a will written, and figured out college funds. I barely remembered to pay the bills last month, and haven't balanced my last three statements

I thought I'd spend lots of time contemplating the spiritual aspects of pregnancy, taking belly photos weekly and being going to dream group to help me understand my pregnancy. We have 3 pictures of me so far.

I thought a couple of my friends would be fascinated by my pregnancy-can you say "eyes glazed over."

I thought I'd have the replacement windows in, the exterior of the house painted, the backyard finished, figured out exactly how furniture in several rooms had to shift to accommodate baby. The only thing that has actually happened is that the painter is here this week. That wasn't even really on my list.

I thought DH and I would spend a lot to time talking about parenting, birth, cloth diapering, discipline, and spend the evenings staring in rapt attention at the miracle of my belly. HA!

I thought I would have an all organic/green nursery picked out. I haven't bought a single organic piece of clothing.

I thought I would pour over the books that obsessed me when I was TTC. Haven't touched them. Don't even ask what DH's pile looked like.

The oddest thing is that most of it doesn't bother me. I thought life would stop, but it hasn't. Good lesson for parenthood. I wish I was in better shape and DH and I had spent more time together, but we're finally starting to. The rest will happen or not when it happens. Another good lesson for parenthood, letting go of expectations.
#5 of 7 Old 08-23-2005, 01:57 PM

Oh yes --

BIG ditto on the food and exercise thing!! Those are the main things right there.
#6 of 7 Old 08-23-2005, 03:48 PM

Oh yes. I thought this pg would be like DD's. With her, I ate wonderfully nutrious food, walked everyday and did yoga, had a pregnancy massage each month, and felt gorgeous and sensual. I was super-organized, read everything I could get my hands on, and thought about the baby morning, noon and night.

This time, my basic food groups are chocolate and ice cream. : I'm lucky to get for a walk twice a week, I've missed three yoga classes in a row, and I feel like a dumpy cow. I'm so busy taking care of DD that I sometimes forget that I *am* pg, until my belly gets in the way or I get a big kick. And organized? Prepared? Hahahaha. By the time I get DD to bed, maybe feed myself, and throw the diapers in the laundry, I'm ready to lay nekkid in all my yeti glory on the bed, watching bad tv. : : :
#7 of 7 Old 08-23-2005, 10:22 PM

Ha ha- I"m not disappointed in myself b/c I think I gave up any expectations

I walk a little, go to my prenatal yoga class once a week, and occasionally do stretching at home- nothing compared to my very fit, in the gym 4x a week pregnancy last time! The extreme heat and daily air quality warnings are my excuse!

I never have given up junk food or caffiene and never deluded myself that I would I do eat a lot healthier overall now but that's from having a baby and wanting to feed him healthy food, which has evolved and grown over the past 3 years.

And I haven't done a darn thing to get ready for the baby- I have lots of ideas and thoughts, but haven't made a single move towards getting the house ready or buying anything!

Some days I wash the dishes or fold laundry or mop the floors, but mostly during ds's nap times I read, attempt to nap, or do online stuff.

for me, working PT and dealing with a difficult toddler are about all I can handle. anything else I might or might not accompish is icing on the cake.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page