33 lbs... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I weighed myself yesterday. Depending on what you call my pre-pg weight, I have gained about 33 lbs already. I have no idea how this happened! (Well, I do).

As much as I sit here and say I know not to worry about it and that my body is doing what it needs to do, it is hard to reconcile that I have already gained more than I did with Sam and I still have as many as 12 weeks to go. Yikes. Anyone else up there with me?

I figure part of it has to do with being a 2nd time mom and my body knowing how long I bf'd Sam. Also, just that it is a different pregnancy. I'll speak with the MW about it to see if she has any concerns at all, but I don't think she will. It's just weird!

So i'm making a concerted effort over the next weeks to make sure I'm not overloading on any junk and trying to watch my portion sizes. I'm just struggling with the amt of weight. it actually kind of bummed me out last night.
#2 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 10:45 AM

I've already gained 24 lbs. This is # 5 for me. I have finally accepted that I am going to gain a certain amount of weight no matter what. I'll loose it when I'm done. I always do.
#3 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 10:55 AM

Yeah, I just weighed myself, I'm up to 32lbs with 10 more weeks to go. I always gain over 40, but like KB, this is my 5th and I've lost it every other time so I'm not too worried.
#4 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 10:56 AM
kel

samsmamma -
I gained 35 lbs. with my first, 50 with my second, and god, I don't know - more than that with my third. I definitely think, from my own experience and the experience of a couple friends of mine, that our bodies do tend to naturally put on more weight with each pregnancy. After all the weight I gained with my last pregnancy I was pretty adamant about keeping my weight under control this time around, so I've been going for lots of walks this time (I didn't exercise much the last two pregnancies - I don't know why) and trying to eat with a bit more restraint - 300 extra calories a day isn't much! because I think in the past I was literally eating for two.

Anyway, I'm 30 weeks now and have gained 29 lbs. and I'm actually pretty happy with that. I've got ten weeks to go, but I figure if I gain around a pound a week that a 40 lb. weight gain is still reasonable, and I have big babies so I'm okay with that. Everyone says to trust your body to know the right amount of weight to gain, but I completely understanding how it is frustrating/upsetting to gain a lot of weight so quickly. Still, a 33 lb. gain is just around a lb. a week at this point, so I don't think you've gained a horrendous amount! This baby is bound to bigger, too, you know? xox

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#5 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 11:25 AM

This is my first pregnancy and I've gained 32 lbs by 30 weeks.. :
#6 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 11:52 AM

I have not weighed myself in months. I have no idea how much I weigh and am really glad for it.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#7 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 01:04 PM

#8 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 07:09 PM

I am up to 30 lbs this pregnancy. I gained 41 with dd and 60 with ds
#9 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 09:56 PM

I am about 36 lbs or so as of 26 weeks. I gained 30 and 28 with my other two. I started around the same weight with both of them. With this pregnancy, I started off about 20 lbs lighter. Everyone I see says I look little for 6 months preggo. I feel a lot bigger than I look I guess. I think my body just needs this to grow a good size baby. My others were 7 12 and 9 lbs. I have the feeling he will be of good size too.

I have been eating a lot of carbs with this baby. I lost weight by cutting out most carbs (breads, pasta and such) and sugars. Well, thoses are the things this baby wants to eat!!!! :LOL I am not about to deny this baby food!!!!

Our bodies know what we need to grow our babies. I wouldn't feel bad. Don't forget it will take at least 9 months to loose most of the weight anyway. Longer if we nurse (at least for me, had areas where the weight stayed . . .)

Good luck!!! and many hugs!!!
#10 of 20 Old 08-23-2005, 10:32 PM

I think I'm around 30 pounds up at 28 weeks, which is a pound or two ahead of last time. And I started about 10 pounds up this time. Ugh! But I feel great and my midwives don't seem to care and last time I dropped the weight (all 39 pounds of it) almost too fast thanks to having to give up dairy while nursing Nate.

So, I'm just going with the flow this time.
#11 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 03:18 AM

I gained 35 pounds by 27 weeks.

I'm big on not paying attention to numbers in a vacuum, but my MW did seem to be a little concerned. So I am trying to stick to my convictions that nutrition and exercise matter, not the number on the scale.

I did discover the protein shake I'd been drinking for breakfast and a snack sometime had 15 grams of sugar, in it. Which in my case gave me lots of sweet cravings. Once I knocked that out and started having protein for breakfast, my appetite got more reasonable and I felt better.

We'll see if I turn out to be someone who gains early, or just a lot.
#12 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 05:02 AM

I'm up 15 lbs, which given that the original aim was to not gain ANYTHING, isn't pleasing me greatly. That's from the lowest point of morning sickness, though, not from early February- but it'll all come off eventually, one way or another- and it's all on my body- an inch on my hips, 6" on my boobs (not complaining) and, erm, 21" on my waist. . I feel like a whale, though I don't look that big.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#13 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 10:45 AM

I think I have not possibly gained more than 7-10 lbs. Guestimate only but I am more toned and leaner everywhere but have a bump and fuller breasts. I have been way healthier than my non pregnant norm and have made it a point to try to walk, stretch and do light non weighted toning work daily. I think I may actually end this pregnancy feeling better than I did before.

With my son, I never knew my weight but ate way too much and pretty much stopped exercising. I was an 8-10 pre pregnancy and my jeans bought 2-3 months postpartum were a 16. It seemed like my body held onto a lot extra weight for about a year until my son was eating more and nursing less and then I gradually started losing.

My osteopath has a weight for me on my chart from when I had my IUD removed 3 months pre pregnancy. I am almost curious to be weighed at the end of my pregnancy to see what the real numbers are. I have no desire to know until the pregnancy is over though! ; )
#14 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 11:38 AM

I'm with Gunter, I haven't been weighed since my last prenatal (about 4 weeks ago) and I don't exactly remember what I weighed (even though I weighed myself).

It's not even clear what I've gained since becoming pregnant...my first prenatal weight was 9 lbs more than I weighed at my yearly checkup in December. So I either had some serious holiday weight, gained when weaning dd, or just put on like crazy the first trimester. Who knows. My midwives aren't counting those 9 lbs.

Christa
#15 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 12:08 PM

I'm at 28.5 weeks and have gained only 15 lbs, but I'm not particularly worried because that's already the lower end of what's "healthy" for someone of my stature (ie, tiny) and I was 5 lbs overweight when I got pregnant. Plus I eat as much as I want, my diet is healthy and I get a good amount of exercise so I'm pretty sure my body is just doing its thing. If I only put on another 3-5 lbs over the next 2-3 months I'll be fine with it. I am not going to stress about it!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#16 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 07:10 PM

I'm 29 weeks and gained somewhere between 25 and 30 lbs. I gained 47 lbs with my 1st pg (but started out less) and delivered 4 weeks early. I gained about 35 with my 2nd pg, and was 2 weeks early. Both times I lost all my pg weight while breastfeeding heavily, but gained a little back when the nursing slowed down. I am on the thin side to begin with, so I guess my body needs all the weight I gain.
#17 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 09:11 PM

im not weighing myself at all this pregnancy.. im just doing what feels healthy.. i dont want to be getting mad at myself for gaining too much or worry for not gaining enuff (which is what happened last time, but i felt like it was fine.. my MW had a different idea..) i have to admit im craving stuff thats not so great lately, but i also walk a lot, so hopefully it balances out :LOL i guess ill see once baby is born.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#18 of 20 Old 08-24-2005, 09:25 PM

29 weeks, 20 lbs...but it's more the random nature of it that concerns me - I'll stabilize for a few months and then put on 7-10 lbs all at once, like say in 2 weeks. That's crazy business, and I get all worried about pre-e (it was one of my first signs).

But this month, the 7 lbs weight gain ... I know exactly what it came from. It came from eating ice cream at 9:30 at night EVERY night for two weeks. That oughta about do it, eh?
#19 of 20 Old 08-25-2005, 12:15 AM

I'm so glad to hear that others are up where I'm at - on other boards people are almost bragging about having only gained 10 lbs at 28 weeks! I definitely didn't want to hear that...

I've gained 35lbs at 30 weeks. Healthy baby, indeed! My mom gained 60 lbs with all 4 of her pregnancies, and she lost it every time. She breastfed, and I will, as well.
#20 of 20 Old 08-31-2005, 10:53 AM

I'm up 20 pounds at 32 weeks, and I can feel it in my chin, arms and tush! Sadly, two of my maternity pants don't fit anymore, not because of the belly but because of the "other" plumper areas. And I started out prepregnancy at about a size 8. I have met many women who gain a total of about 20 pounds the whole pregnancy, so I was stressing too - but I guess it's all relative and anything from a few pounds to 60 seems acceptable.

Here inIsrael, they recommend a total gain of 15-25 pounds (not like the states where the recommendation is larger) so here I guess I'm considered on the weight gaining side, whereas I'm much more average for America. I guess I'll take average.......

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page