Furious! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-25-2005, 07:22 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I just need to vent. Before I get busted for being on email.

So you know we were moving offices today. Let me put something in a little perspective. I am a sr project manager here. I knew I was going to be sharing a space, but had been assured that it was a decent space. Well, it's not. It is totally open to everything, has NO storage and no walls. It is the space that all of the assistants sit in. I am LIVID. My boss is ticked off too but the publisher is basically saying that I should suck it up, especially since I am getting promoted and no one else is. Ok, but id I'm getting promoted, shouldn't I have a decent-ish space?

There is one window office that is being used for storage! And I'm stuck in this sh*thole? I raised such a stink. And proposed solutions! But it seems like it may be a closed door in the publisher's head and that there may be nothing I can do.

I am so beside myself. Really. I mean, if I'm getting promoted, shouldn't I have a decent space?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-25-2005, 07:56 PM

You definitely deserve a decent space, especially if there is one available. And I completely understand why you are so angry about it.

My sister just got moved into a tiny closet office although as part of her job she must counsel groups of students. The new "office" has no room for that kind of group work. Meanwhile, the new principal has taken over the conference room and deemed it his office. It made her feel very unimportant.

Best of luck. Hopefully one of your suggestions will be heeded. Geesh, why can't they clean out the office that's used for storage? That's truly a ridiculous waste of space.

Good luck.

Christa
Old 08-25-2005, 11:27 PM

I can totally relate! I had the same thing happen in my job. Well, except for the promotion! :LOL For the past two years at this job I was in a nice private office with a window and an air vent that I could control, which was very nice in the summer being pregnant and all in 108 degree temperatures! Then in early July they got a new person at my school and put her in my office and me in a tiny, windowless, hot, airless office that is really not supposed to be an office but a storage room!! It's really terrible. And I too am supposed to meet with students about confidential matters. But there is no privacy because I share the office with five other people, who are campus monitors so they're not in their continuously but pop in and out all the time. And secretaries are always in there for copy paper, toner, etc., because that is their storage closet!!! To make it worse, the person they put in my office (who is above me on the totem pole) didn't like it b/c it's too small, so they put HER in a really big office and turned my old, beloved office into . . . a mailroom! Even the students, many of whom don't even live in very good circumstances themselves, are kind of coming in, looking around in disbelief and horror, and asking, "Miss, is this your office?! But it's like a closet! What happened to your old office?!"

So I feel your pain! In addition to the practical inconveniences of a crappy work environment that is not suited to the kind of work you actually have to do, it's just the indignity of it all and the feeling of not being valued by your job.
Old 08-26-2005, 12:17 AM

That totally stinks!! I would be livid as well.

I quit my last job over just such an issue- they were going to put our entire department, manager and all, in a tiny, damp, moldy room in the basement when every other department had their own individual offices in the areas where they worked. We fought and fought the administration over it and I finally just walked b/c they clearly thought we were worth crap.

Now I have no office at all, since I am part time so am not 'entitled' to one.

Well, at least you only have 3 or so more months to go, and you'll be taking a break from that place for a while- maybe things will change in the meantime, we can only hope so!
Old 08-26-2005, 01:40 AM

Did you ever see "Office Space?"

Good movie, now might be the time to see it. At least you haven't yet been moved to the basement next to a sweaty scary dude. And you don't have to wear "flash"...do you?
Old 08-26-2005, 02:44 AM

That's no fun at all

Speaking of work: I just got an e-mail a couple weeks ago from HR (it was sent to everyone) about the dress code at work... apparently it's against the dress code to not have "appropriate undergarments". I wonder how they're going to enforce that one??? :LOL

I have fewer than 50 work days left till I go on leave that's good because we have a consultant (think, the Bobs from Office Space with no script) who's micromanaging my department and things are stressful around there right now :

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 08-26-2005, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trmpetplaya
...apparently it's against the dress code to not have "appropriate undergarments". I wonder how they're going to enforce that one??? :LOL
Never mind enforcement - I'm curious as to what constitutes INappropriate undergarments! (Or do they just mean that you have to wear a bra?)

And sign me up for the "crappy workspace assignments" club too - when I got promoted I got booted out of my nice sunny cube into the darkest, dimmest cube in the building, with a neatfreak cubicle mate who won't let me use any bright lights because they cause glare on his screen Also, this is where all the cold air from the A/C that misses the rest of the building turns up, so we are bundled up in fuzzy sweaters while the rest of the company is running around in shorts and t-shirts.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 08-26-2005, 02:54 PM

I think the inappropriate undergarments are in refernce to thong underwear. I know I walked into one store last week and the check out lady bent down to grab something and all you could see was the top of her thong. And it was all decorated like it was supose to be displayed.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:22 PM - Thread Starter

Well, DH helped me feel better about everything last night. I was actually losing sleep over this. I'm just irritated by it. Yes, at the end of the day, me doing my job well is what counts, but the fact is that as much as we may not want to admit it, there is a perception about someone's role based on where they sit. And where I am sitting is an admin seat, not a sr mgr or assoc director seat, which is my new role. So I think it is lame. Now, I have to assume nothing will change, though it is possible that something will improve. However, the long and short of it is that I'll let them know that I'll make due, but they can't expect me to perform at the same level, and if that is the decision they want to make, so be it. Not to mention that the people around me will not be able to perform as well either because of what my role is. It's hard to play the happy go lucky employee when something is just blantantly wrong.

And frankly, I'm PO'd at my boss, because she is the only sr director who didn't actually come over to look at the space to see what her people got. If she had, she would have seen that this wouldn't work. Lame. Oh well.
Old 08-26-2005, 05:40 PM

Quote:
Speaking of work: I just got an e-mail a couple weeks ago from HR (it was sent to everyone) about the dress code at work... apparently it's against the dress code to not have "appropriate undergarments". I wonder how they're going to enforce that one??? :LOL

I have fewer than 50 work days left till I go on leave

LOL! that's pretty funny. Were they having problems with people wearing innapproriate undergarments??? We had an activities assistant (this is in a rehab center so lots of young, drug-addicted men, plus elderly people) who wore skin tight clothes with her belly showing and thong sticking out daily. I thought it was soooo inappropriate and have no idea why her supervisor (who is a very modest person) didn't say something!

Oh, and great idea to count the # of days of work left- I haven't done that yet!

Erica- I totally agree that the way someone is percieved has a lot to do with their office- which is why I left that job where they were going to put us all in a moldy basement- too bad it is that way, but it's the truth- if you are going to meet with a client and you're in a dark, tiny airless cube that you share with other people, what does that tell them the company thinks of your position? I really hope things resolve somehow for you!
Old 08-26-2005, 06:27 PM

That really sucks -- I don't know what to say or what advice to give since I don't know too much about professional situations like that. I am big on privacy and wouldn't like to be in an open space like that. If it bothers you so much maybe you can plot some way to get out of it. It sounds like it would be worth putting some effort into trying to get it changed. Is there anything non-ergonomic or otherwise uncomfortable about it? If it were an issue of safety/health maybe they would care? Or, what about pumping, if you plan to do that? If you had your own office you could do that there and keep a little fridge?
Old 08-27-2005, 02:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25
We had an activities assistant (this is in a rehab center so lots of young, drug-addicted men, plus elderly people) who wore skin tight clothes with her belly showing and thong sticking out daily. I thought it was soooo inappropriate and have no idea why her supervisor (who is a very modest person) didn't say something!
I work with homeless men in addiction recovery, too and have to be so aware of what I wear. I feel funny some days when my shirt is a little too tight b/c my boobs and belly have grown overnight! There are about 200-250 resident men plus 20 male staff and only 4-5 women on staff (has changed over the years). Now that I am sticking out with a big preggo belly, I totally draw so much attention to myself just walking through the place! The guys are awesome though and err on the side of being super respectful.

I hope something changes for you soon...either physically moving to a better place or that mentally you can somehow bear it.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 08-27-2005, 04:58 PM

The funny thing is that I don't think the inappropriate undergarments refers to thongs... One girl I know (who was a teller) was told to go home and change because she had a panty line and when she came back wearing a thong she had to go home and change again because it looked like she wasn't wearing any underwear! I'm so glad I'm not a teller... It probably does refer to bras, though the e-mail did say that men had to wear appropriate undergarments also I haven't worn a bra to work in weeks because I find the tank tops with built in bras to be way more comfy!

I had to count the days left because work is getting less and less tolerable every day... I almost couldn't handle going back a few days in the last couple weeks

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 08-27-2005, 09:58 PM

Quote:
It probably does refer to bras, though the e-mail did say that men had to wear appropriate undergarments also

I had to count the days left because work is getting less and less tolerable every day... I almost couldn't handle going back a few days in the last couple weeks
Perhaps they would like you all to get those undergarments that Mormons wear . . . !!!! If I worked there I would really push for clarification about exactly what they believe constituted "appropriate undergarments" and what constitutes "inappropriate" undergarments. I mean, I'm not a big fan of thongs sticking out either especially in a professional setting, but being sent home for a panty line and then being sent home for looking like you don't have underwear??!! I mean, what exactly is that woman SUPPOSED to wear? Or maybe that really the problem is that the skirt is too tight/clingy or something, but why doesn't the management have something better to do than scrutinize her ass?! I would really be pissed. Knowing me, I'm so obnoxious about these kinds of issues I'd probably come to work in a head-toe black burka with only a small veiled area so that I could see, in protest!!

I too have had the "countdown" going. I actually write this at the bottom of my calendar every day. Right now it's "43/72." The first number is the number of actual working days, the second number is the number of calendar days till I go on maternity leave!!! I am really questioning whether I'm suited for employment in large bureaucracies. My bull**** tolerance for jargon, politics and general ambitiousness is really limited. Especially since I've been pregnant. The worst thing is that irritating corporate culture isn't limited to big capitalist companies--it's in "service" things too like non-profits, hospitals, schools, court systems, etc. Maybe I just need to go be a potato farmer somewhere or something!!
Old 08-28-2005, 08:58 AM - Thread Starter

The whole pumping thing is going to be a GOOD question, but I;m not quite ready to tackle that yet. You may recall that in the old space they had a pumping lounge up on another floor (just a converted closet, but at least it was something). My boss says I can pump in her office. She and I go to the gym together - I don't have an issue doing this if it is what it comes down to.

I spoke with her on Friday (thank goodness I had Fri off and have tomorrow off!) and she said that while the publisher definitely is aware that it is a problem and may be trying to do something, there may just be nothing that can be done. So I have come up with some things to make it better (which will probably piss other people off). Like, get the network printer out of my space, because at the very least they can put that in the mktng assistant's space where it makes more sense. And get a folding screen to provide a little privacy around the front of the cube. My boss says that in reality, I'm not in that much in September (I have jury duty and there are holidays like Labor Day and I have a few days I'm working from home because of Sam starting school), then October will fly by and then before I know it I'll be on leave and out for 3 months, and she doens't believe that we can't affect change within 6 months time.

That still doesn't change the fact that I'm really really bothered by this and haven't been sleeping well. It's like it has become 100% the focus of all of my stress. I know this can't be healthy! I'm going to talk with the SW about it on Tuesday because given how I'm reacting to it now, I feel like it could be a trigger for a depression if I go weird after the baby is born (ie, how can I go back to work to something like that, etc etc).

User Tag List