or if it's a boy and the US was wrong

Liam Caidon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2005, 04:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I think we're sure...or maybe not. All rights reserved to change our minds if he comes out not looking like a ...

Emmett Michael.
Old 08-27-2005, 05:18 PM

Thanks for starting this- I was going to start another name thread just to check in with everyone.

I love the name Hannah! It's one of my contenders. Very meaningful.

So far my top choices are-

Elsa- mn either Ruth or Mary (my name) (I've been set on that from the beginning)

possibly- Nora- mn either Grace or Elisabeth (my mn)

Or Hannah- with any of the above mn's

and boys, I don't like anything, but the only thing I can think of is:

Joshua Matthew (dh's name)

I hate to use such a popular name, but I guess it's just like naming your son John or Michael or Thomas- classic, and never goes out of style. Plus it goes well with our son's name, Ethan.

Comments??
Old 08-27-2005, 05:31 PM

We have had ours picked out for a while, but are keeping it to ourselves. I'm not 100% into the middle name because of how common it is, but Dh really likes it so we will probably stick with it.

As far as a back-up boy name, who knows. We've never had an easy time agreeing on boy names lol.
Old 08-27-2005, 06:01 PM

yup! Ngaio (ny-o) Sapphyre.. if it turns out to be a boy.. i really dont know. i havn't thought much about it :LOL

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-27-2005, 06:19 PM

We have actually had our favorite boy name picked out since early on in my pg with dd so for over 4 years now. If the u/s was wrong we have no idea at all! The boy name is Joseph Dallas named for dh's and my grandfathers. Our dd is named for dh's mother so we were happy to be able to use family names this time also.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 08-27-2005, 06:28 PM

Jack Tucker for a boy.

Sidney Paige for a girl.

Old 08-27-2005, 06:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma
Jack Tucker for a boy.

Sidney Paige for a girl.

jack tucker was the name of my gramas bother, who died in the war.. one of elwynn's middle names is tucker as well..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-27-2005, 08:00 PM

Landon Farrell

We've said we need a girl's name "just in case" and we've discussed Ella and Ginny, but not much to go with them.

Christa
Old 08-27-2005, 09:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern
yup! Ngaio (ny-o) Sapphyre.. if it turns out to be a boy.. i really dont know. i havn't thought much about it :LOL
Fern, Ngaio is a very unique name! Where is it from? (and what does it mean? just curious...)
Old 08-27-2005, 11:17 PM

its a maori name( indiginous people of newzealand..) the meaning that ive come up with is something like "light reflected on water".. but its also a native newzealand plant.. i love it and probabaly will use it if baby turns out to be a boy.. it just feels right, you know?

Quote:

Old 08-28-2005, 12:39 AM

So, it just "feels" like we are having a male baby...sorry if that sounds sexist or something...just a hunch. We want to wait until the babe is born and spend a few hours/days to finalize the name. If it fits, we'll name the babe Ezra (means helpful one) but not sure on middle name...

Ezra Cole (shortening my middle name, Coleen)

Ezra Manning (after the author Brennan Manning; DH's idea mainly)

Ezra Sanford (middle name of a compassionate friend who was once homeless and an alcohlic yet recovered from both, he's twice our age, DH and I love him and, plus Ford was my great grandaddy's name who I was especialy close to/helped raise me from birth with my single mom)

Emerson Grace (potential female name and we like it as a double name; like calling her by the full name) We've been calling the baby Emerson all along...love us some Ralph Waldo!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
Old 08-28-2005, 07:12 AM

Gunter, love the name Ezra--it's my nephew's name! And he's the best kid ever!

We've been thinking up names and keeping a list practically since we got married! But now we don't have a definite one we've decided on. We're keeping names secret till the baby is born and are not planning on "finalizing" the name choice until then either. We want to see what the baby looks like and who he/she seems to be before making a definite decision. In the pregnancy we started out with a girl name right away that we both really liked, but couldn't think of a boy name that we agreed on. Now we seem to have a pretty solid contender for a boy name, but I'm not so sure I like the girl name I liked early on! Don't know if that means anything!! I started thinking earlier today that I should really go look at some name books more seriously. It's a big decision!
Old 08-28-2005, 01:21 PM

We still have a hard time with boy names and I'm kind of hoping that the sonographer was wrong and it will be a girl anyway. Which considering how well we saw his tackle, is a BIG long shot.

We're considering Elliot, James, and Gabriel.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
Old 08-28-2005, 02:17 PM

We're hoping the u/s was *right* because it's way easier to think up girls' names than boys'

Our approach is to have a "short list" and then pick one from it once we actually get to see and interact with the baby a bit. The names on our list are: Katherine (Kate), Rowan, Lauren and Eleanor. Middle name for each would be Beverly (for DH's mom).

We are so hooped if it is a boy, we have nothing, nada, zip, except a middle name: Clayton (my dad's name). But the u/s was really clear, so we're in a bit of denial over the possibility.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

Old 08-28-2005, 11:13 PM

Since there is no mistaking my baby's gender,(it was very clear on the u/s), our boy's name will be Robert Harrison. He will be called Bobby. The name is from my dh's parents. They both passed away in the last three years. Everyone called my MIL Bobbie, so we are calling him that in tribute to her. My FIL was Howard, so we needed an H name to honnor him. It's a Jewish tradition to name after the letter not the actual name.

If by some reason the u/s was wrong . . . our girl name would be Hanna Brynn. Again, the H and the B. We loved the meaning of Hannah, gift from G*d, because this baby was a huge surprise and a gift . . .
Old 08-28-2005, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucaye
It's a Jewish tradition to name after the letter not the actual name.
Huh???? I have a friend also pregnant, she said the name Leo was all hers because her Grandpa was named that and it was her Jewish tradition(Ashkenazi) to name after the deceased Grandpa. And I was all over Leo.

The name, not the grandpa.

Hmm...
Old 08-28-2005, 11:43 PM

our dd will be named Gabriella Frances
Old 08-29-2005, 10:41 AM

Gavin Ryan here The US better not be wrong because we would have no idea for a girls name...I guess we should think about that one just in case
Old 08-29-2005, 02:51 PM

We're in the same boat with the Very-much-a-boy club! Liam Charles is his name, we've had Liam picked-out for three years, and Charles is dh, g-pa's middle name, and great-g-pa's first name. Sounds good and Irish
Old 08-29-2005, 09:42 PM

We had a list of boys' first names we liked and let our 2 yo and 4 yo decide for us from that list.... they picked Blake. Of the list of names for a middle name my DS picked Patrick,my DD picked Andrew. DD caved (little did I know it had something to do with Patrick Star from Spongebob fame. : )
So, peapod boy here will Blake Patrick.
We have a strong Polish last name so we were aiming for a single syllable first name...
Old 08-29-2005, 10:10 PM

~flyingspagettimama~
It might be a bit a different tradition for different families. I should clarify, my parents in law told us that that is what their families have done for years and years. I was not about to displease the most wonderful PIL (imo) one could have. We even named our girls after the given Jewish names of decesed family members.

When I was preggo with our second, we didn;t know what she was. I wanted the boy name to be Evan Berrel. Berrel was my FIL middle name. He freaked. He didn't want his actual name used. So we chose Samuel instead. But Josie came out a girl, so we named her after my grand mother instead.

So I think the traditions are for each family. I wish good thoughts to your friend who is preggo too.

Hugs to all,
Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucaye
It's a Jewish tradition to name after the letter not the actual name.
Actually, the custom is to name after deceased relatives, not the living. The 'custom' of using initial letters is of rather recent American invention, such as 'Well Bubbe [grandma] Krainzel's name started with a K, so we'll name her Krystel' since they weren't going to give the Yiddish or Hebrew name that the ancestor actually carried.

Article on Jewish Naming Customs

/chava waves down hwy 40 to bucaye and goes back to lurking on the Oct. due date club.....
Old 08-29-2005, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2six
Actually, the custom is to name after deceased relatives, not the living. The 'custom' of using initial letters is of rather recent American invention, such as 'Well Bubbe [grandma] Krainzel's name started with a K, so we'll name her Krystel' since they weren't going to give the Yiddish or Hebrew name that the ancestor actually carried.

Article on Jewish Naming Customs

/chava waves down hwy 40 to bucaye and goes back to lurking on the Oct. due date club.....
Right. He is deceased. I told her I think our city is big enough for two Leos...and my great-grandpa Leo was Jewish too (although he converted to Catholicism, so I am definitely not).
Old 08-30-2005, 11:13 PM

Unfortunatly for this pregnancy, both in-laws are dececed. My MIL died 3 weeks after Josie's 1st b-day (3 years ago) and my FIL died last November. I wish they were here to enjoy their grandson . . . but the name will help them live on in our family. Like I mentioned before, Bobbie was my MIL nickname and so it will be her grandson"s . . .

~chava~
it's actually stlcjb here. I changed my handle because I couldn't remember my old password. Are you still at Mobap?? I would love to talk to you sometime!!! Can I pm you???
Old 08-31-2005, 01:23 PM

We are having major trouble agreeing - we have nothing when it comes to boys' names and we don't know the gender. We are vollying Maya and Maayan for a girl (middle name Naomi or Eve, Isabella or Annabella)
and although I like and dh will tolerate Ezra, Jacob, Eli, Benjamin, Max and Ori for a boy, we're not committed to any of them (dh isn't crazy about them.)

I swear he's gonna want to wait until the baby shows some "Personality" like he did when we got our puppy. We are going to be the only Jews at a bris (ceremony at a baby boy's 8th day of life) with no name.
Old 08-31-2005, 01:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eastvillage
I swear he's gonna want to wait until the baby shows some "Personality" like he did when we got our puppy. We are going to be the only Jews at a bris (ceremony at a baby boy's 8th day of life) with no name.
Hey, my husband really has done this. He will barely talk about it until he 'sees what the baby is like'. Not to mention that our oldest, we had agreed on one name, and HE SAID THE WRONG NAME AT THE BRIS. Seriously.

BTW - we are also tossing around the name Ma'ayan. But my husband needs to wait to see the baby to commit to anything .
Old 08-31-2005, 01:43 PM

We're making a little progress with names, but not much. If it's a girl (which I'm pretty sure it's not), we're thinking Margaret Leah or Margaret Olivia (grandmothers' names), and we'll call her Meggie. If it's a boy, either Patrick Jude or Elliott Jude (both family names, too).

I stupidly told my parents what we are considering, and now they are lobbying for Patrick (they don't think Elliott is a "strong" name...whatever). I like Patrick, but I might go off it now that I know it's a Spongebob name...
Old 09-01-2005, 02:29 PM

He said the WRONG name at the bris? Wow - that's pretty major.

How is the baby supposed to show whether he is an Evan, an Ori or a Jacob within the first 8 days? What behavior would this child exhibit which would solidify a name? I honestly don't get this strategy....

I love Elliot, by the way - much prefer it to Patrick.

I refuse to tell my name possibilities to my parents for fear that they will simply say "YUK!" and then I'll feel kind of stupid if I go ahead with a name they obviously hate. I mean, my sister's kids are named Hillel Akiva Lev, Yosef Tzvi, Chana Emunah and Bracha Ruth, and the one she's expecting will probably be Rachelie. So - I have some room to play here.
Old 09-02-2005, 12:11 AM

eastvillage- LOVE Naomi and Eve, and Eli, Jacob, and Ezra are great, too!

Mom2six- LOL about your dh saying the wrong name!!

Jellyfishy- Margaret Olivia or Leah are beautiful names!

User Tag List