Weekly Chat Aug. 29-Sept (!!) 4 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 39 Old 08-29-2005, 01:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I guess it's time for a new weekly chat thread!

...from last week:

MamaFern, I've never heard anything but good things about Steveston - I'm sure you'll be happy there and you'll probably enjoy being out of the big bad city. Good luck, I hope it works out for you!

Kavita - can I have your buckwheat pancake recipe?

This weekend was very lazy for me - walked downtown Sat. am to buy DH's underwear on sale, there were only 3 pairs left in his size so he has to wear stripy underpants now :LOL. I did pretty much nothing else for the remainder of Saturday and yesterday - like, not even laundry. After my nasty GI incident Thurs night I ended up a bit constipated and had a bit of a 'roid reappearance (I am plagued with this occasionally even when not preggers) so I made myself move as little as possible - this seems to have nipped it in the bud, I think. That and the constant dosing with witch hazel/aloe gel. But, even being a couch slob all weekend my weight is still the same. I think I am going to have to start blaming my friendly local farmer Dave, who has far too many delicious vegetables; I am filling up on them and not eating enough high-calorie foods (there is a limit to how much butter an ear of corn can hold, after all!) I realized after dinner last night (which was spaghetti squash topped with tomato & cannelini bean sauce and a sprinke of parmesan, plus corn-on-the-cob that while delicious, it is probably not the sort of thing I should be eating in order to *gain* weight. I will make risotto tomorrow night or something.

My mom arrived for a 4-day visit yesterday afternoon and - big sigh of relief - brought NO BABY STUFF!!!! Yay mom! Well ok she did bring a "Classics for Babies" CD which I am listening to now; it is quite pleasant and once I've had a listen I will stick my headphones down my pants and let Blobby enjoy. Ma is on her way back up north after a visit to Britain and I must say for a shopaholic like her to restrain herself from buying anything beyond a CD is most impressive. I guess all my "no excess crap please!!!" lectures actually got to her.

(BTW no I'm not depriving my baby of essentials - we just have SO many people *giving* us stuff that we really, really don't need anything. In fact on Saturday I was offered the use of a gently used Baby Bjorn carrier - not going to say no to that! plus we have boxes and boxes of clothes, a swing (which I don't really want to use but...) a sling, a snuggli carrier, etc... I'm not complaining but it doesn't leave a lot for people who want to buy stuff for us.)

Anyway I'm babbling - have a good week everyone!!!

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#2 of 39 Old 08-29-2005, 02:01 PM

I can't believe it's almost September! Woo Hoo!!! I'm very happy to be celebrating only 9 weeks left. Liam already has way too many clothes, the freezer is stocked, wipes are bought, car seat is ordered, now all I have to do is start Christmas shopping, which will be this week!

I'm getting very excited to meet this little one! We had a BBQ this weekend, with two of Molly's friends and their families. Both families also have a new babe less than 3 mo. old, which just makes me more excited. Anyone else already have a diaper bag packed? : Oh well, I'll be prepared.

We're having our annual Girl Party this week/weekend with my mom, sister, Aunts, cousins, etc., so I'll have tons of company, tons of food, and tons of shopping. It will be lots of fun.

Have a good week, everyone. Oh, and I'm very excited to go look for beads tomorrow for the bead swap. Yay!
#3 of 39 Old 08-29-2005, 03:16 PM

All right, Meagan, you just need to pipe down and stop making the rest of feel like big, fat slackers! :LOL Congrats on having so much done already! You rock.

I spent the last 3 days in a doula training. Fun and all, but it killed my back to sit for so long. And then on Saturday, after the sitting all day at a training, I went to my neighbors poker tourney and sat for 7 more hours! : But, I won! Woo hoo. I am so excited. I beat 34 other players, I won $330 and most importantly, finally have a win under my belt. I am a perrennial 2nd placer, always choking in the final show, so I feel good to have that monkey off my back. So some of that money will be put aside in the "poker fund", some will be spent responsibly...and I get to splurge some of it on me! So what should I get? What can I spend $50-100 on that I normally wouldn't have bought since we are broke? Any ideas?

Other than that, I missed my guy all weekend, so I am excited about spending the day with him today. Went to the chiro today because my back was screaming!

Next Weds we leave for vacation on the gulf coast. I think the area was missed by Katrina, but it sucks to think about all the people down there who are loosing homes and incurring so much cost and damage.

Hope everyone has a great week! September is almost here. That means we are 2 months away!

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#4 of 39 Old 08-29-2005, 10:18 PM

I am getting excited about our birth bead and third tri swaps!!!
My pregnant moment of the day today was that I went out to buy my beads and didn't. I got distracted with going to Goodwill to look for maternity dresses. I'm in between sizes and styles of maternity bottoms, mediums are tight and larges fall off my butt, elastic band waists (what waist!!!) are too low and over the belly full panels are too hot still in this weather. So I actually found two cute (plain) short dresses. I figure they'll hold me over until the weather gets cooler and I'll have clothes to wear then.

Baby is head down and kicking a lot. I swear she grew a pound today, my innerds are all sore and funky feeling.

I've been up since 3am when Willem decided he wanted to crawl in bed with us and then keep me awake by kicking my belly. Each time I tried to move him he'd whine so I had to stop or else risk waking him and then having to go through a whole going back to sleep routine. So I finally got up out of bed and got on MDC and ebay, wrote a few emails, etc.

meagen, I wonder if you'll be as energetic in your nesting next time around when you already have a little one to take care of??? :LOL just teasing!

I keep feeling like there is so much to do but I just don't care right now. I'm too tired. I know that if the baby came this minute we'd have enough to carry us through the first few weeks so that's probably why I'm slacking. I realized how overprepared I was for Willem (I had all his stuff ready in early December and he wasn't born until mid Feb). Plus, in my defense, I don't want to get everything done and then sit around just waiting for the baby. That was the worst last time.
On a more productive note I'm 2/3 done with my FIRST knitted project... a patchwork baby blanket. Knitting mommas you would be so proud of me!!!
#5 of 39 Old 08-29-2005, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma
I keep feeling like there is so much to do but I just don't care right now. I'm too tired. I know that if the baby came this minute we'd have enough to carry us through the first few weeks so that's probably why I'm slacking.
Amen! I totally agree with that. I feel like I want to get stuff done, but then I just say "eh, we're fine." So different than the last time when I was literally demanding that DH set up the crib before Xmas or I would do it myself...and Ben was not due til March. :

#6 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 01:13 AM

#7 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 01:25 AM

I'm back from vacation and relieved to be home, even though our vacation was wonderful. DH seems to be nesting, though! Today he helped me with running errands, mowed the lawn, changed the filter in the AC/furnace, installed a new chandelier in the dining room, fixed the dishwasher, put on outlet plug covers (the really nice once that cover not only the outlet but whatever is plugged into it so DS can't randomly unplug the tv anymore)... I weeded, posted our vacation pics online, did a lot of unpacking from the trip, and made a fabulous salmon dinner with rice and broccoli. Then I took a nice bubble-bath with DS and I'm ready to go to bed now!

I feel soooo freaking huge. At my last appointment I had gained about 14 lbs (at 25 weeks), but I'm afraid to get on the scale now! People at the beach would literally gasp and get pale when I told them I wasn't due until the end of November - even another pregnant lady did that!!! (there's a pic in my sig - do I really look that massive?!)

I've finally started my hypnobabies program, too. Last time I started at 23 weeks, but this time I didn't start till 27 weeks. It has only been 15 months since I gave birth, though, so its still very familiar.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#8 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 08:24 AM

The nesting bug hit me on Friday night and hasn't stopped yet! I don't mind getting an early start, as there will always be something to do in this house (we're a bit on the messy side). We've mainly been decluttering, which is LONG overdue anyway. I figure that even if I finish all the house stuff really early, I can always do more cooking or sewing.

The downside of my nonstop cleaning yesterday was a sore back and hips. Still, I really had to force myself to stop - it was crazy! Today I am planning to dye some wool yarn for the first time. I will be using it to crochet some longies.

Otherwise, I've been feeling great - just anxious for november of course. It's nice to be in the 3rd trimester and feel like the baby will actually be here soon. I'm still having anxiety about co-sleeping - not sure where that is coming from.

Oh - and some friends of ours gave us their Dutailier glider and ottoman!!! We just have to order cushions for it. It is really pretty and I am still touched by such a generous gift!
#9 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 02:08 PM - Thread Starter

Argh! I promised myself I would not do this, but - barely 7 months along, and it's time to start the complaining.

I'm all for an active healthy fetus but this one is starting to cause me actual pain. It's like she's figured out that most babies get to be in much roomier spaces and she's punishing me for being short. (No, really - I'm very short and all my height is in my legs! Even petites clothes can be too long for me in the torso.)

So, yesterday afternoon/evening she kept hammering on my ribs and they were so sore... this morning at 4 am she decided that it was a fine time to boogy and was super-active for a good hour... now she's stretching, which doesn't hurt as much as the kicks but is still pretty uncomfortable. God forbid she finds my kidneys - at the moment at least her feet are mostly angled outward. She doesn't seem to sleep much at all - or, like her dad, she thrashes in her sleep a lot. I should be thankful that she's already in a good position but I wish she would find another one.

The worst of it is - I have 2 1/2 months left of this and she's just going to get bigger and stronger!!!! I asked a friend who gave birth a few months ago if, when they get bigger and more cramped, it gets a little better because they don't have room to haul off and really whack you - she said that no, that wasn't her recollection at all!

Mamas who already have a child or two - does behaviour in the womb correlate at all with behaviour post-birth? Can I expect a non-stop action hero(ine)? Any hints on how to deal with this? (Thank goodness our hypnobirthing classes start next week - I could use some mental calming techniques)

Also - can a super-active baby be a reason why it's hard to put on weight? I still haven't gained any more (total gain now just barely 15 lbs) and I'm going on 5 weeks now at the same weight. Historically, putting on weight has NOT been a problem for me. And I wouldn't be worried except that I AM getting thinner everywhere but my belly. The last week I have made a concerted effort to eat more and it's not working (and it's almost turning me off food, which I never would have though possible). Should I worry? Is it all going into Blobby's decathalon training in there? How bad is it to burn fat when you're pregnant? My diet has not always been as good as it is now... I am concerned that fat-soluble processed crap I ate 5 years ago may be liberated into my baby and all my efforts to eat well now are less than adequate.

heh - I guess NOT complaining for so long means it builds up. Probably not healthy, that

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#10 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 04:14 PM
kel

I have some sympathy for you, or is it empathy - I have a super active baby this time, too. I'm short with a long torso , but this baby is totally nutty - kicking, punching and flipping in every direction it seems, and lately she does it all night long. I've been having a horrible time sleeping.

I've never noticed behavior in the womb correlating much to personality after birth, but I'm wondering if this time will be an exception. As far as putting on weight, I don't think it's related. I've gained about 30 lbs. in 31 weeks.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#11 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 05:44 PM

Things have been so awesome for me this whole pregnancy. I have resisted complaining too much on these forums but I have some crappy stuff to share with you all.

My fridge compressor blew up on Thursday leaving us with food going bad. I called my neighbors and they took most of it. The compressor was on back order and not to arrive for 7-10 business days. No big deal. Until Sunday (4 days later!) about one hour before the childbirthing class was to meet at our house, I discovered spoiled fish that I forgot to clean out!!! The foul smell made me gag and almost I threw up on the kitchen floor. I did make it to the bathroom but the smell hung around. K, it's fixed as of this afternoon.

Incomparabley worse than that...very sad news. My friend and neighbor has been preggo with me though she was due around Sept. 9th. She delivered early via emergency cesarean due to massive swelling of her uterus and her babe in utero plus other risks. The babe was delivered on July 28th successfully. Her condition was never diagnosed...rare stuff...parents searching all over for help. Calling kid's hospitals for help and getting re-assured that Duke was the best place to be. The roller coaster ride of one day healthy outlook for babe, the next day bleak outlook ended Sat. night. I found out early yesterday morning that her babe passed on. I have never cried so long and so much for someone I never met. We had been talking with the fam and they kept a blog so we knew almost daily updates. There are two toddlers in their fam that we love already and our hubbies walk dogs in the early am. They are probably one of the nicest, most sincere and most loving, together fams we know. They are not so crunchy but do homeschool and BF. Neither of her first two had ever used a bottle or passifier! You can imagine how hard this is for any parent to deal with. Please send them your prayers...their faith has kept them steadfast through this and that has been incredible to see! We will attend the service tomorrow afternoon.

Sorry for the downers...I know you all are part of my community though and I look to you for support and encouragement so often. Thanks for being women who are so welcoming!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#12 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 06:59 PM

Oh, Gunter s. You've got my email addy if there's anything I can do- it works for messenger as well, if you just want to talk things through. I know how hard it can be to support people you love through hard times, especially with the emotional demands that pregnancy can put on you.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#13 of 39 Old 08-30-2005, 07:15 PM

Gunter and to your neighbour and her family. Sending lots of love and prayers to all of you.

I am usually a relentless optimist- trying to send as much positivity out into the world as possible and hoping that the same will come back to me, but today logged on prepared to have a giant rant. Gunter's post reminded me that the really important things in life are still going well for me- the health of me and my baby, my incredible family. I am so grateful for the things I have.

We had an great weekend- went to the beginning of our prenatal classes, but I really felt that I wasn't learning anything..the teacher skimmed over stuff I wanted to talk about/know about in more detail, and spent a lot more time on basic stuff that I already knew. I was kind of expecting this, being a total birth junky and a maternity nurse- so I've been studying and researching pregnancy and birth for over eight years now. But when my husband told me during the break that he felt bored and knew most of the info...we decided to skip the rest of the classes and spend the weekend doing our own birth preparation. Lots of talking about specific issues that are important to us, what our expectations and contingency plans are for labour and birth, really personal stuff about coping and support and how we are as individuals and a couple in different situations. Totally awesome and fulfilling conversations- and I am always amazed by how in touch my partner is to my needs and desires (sometimes he is able to state them better than I am)

We also spend a bunch of time talking about newborn care, etc.- that's where his biggest questions were- wanted to know about umbilical cords and bathing newborns, sleep patterns (ha ha). So we did lots of great preparation together. We also assembled a change table/storage unit that we were given, cleaned behind and beneath the fridge, and bought a new food processor to make baby food and lots of other yummy stuff.

So Sunday night, after an awesome weekend and feeling totally nested and in the final stretch of getting ready for baby, I stepped into a puddle of wetness in our office carpet. We had a leak in the same place in July, which the landlord had fixed with a patch in the foundation and other lovely repairs and renovations-- three weeks of not being able to use our office and of having all kinds of office clutter in our living room.

We have to move- ASAP. The leak is even worse now, the landlord has no idea for a time frame to repair it, and there is an unhealthy amount of wet carpet, mildew and mold along the wall and floor where the water comes in. My dh's asthma and allergies are horrible, and I can't even think about how this might be affecting the baby. We've spent the last few days looking at suites and shuffling finances- and making zillions of phone calls, etc. Tonight we're going to look at a place only a few blocks away that sounds ideal-- wish me luck!!!! I would love to stay in the same neighbourhood.

I still really want to have a homebirth, but first I need to find a home! We need to move by the beginning of October at the latest- and even then moving at 35 weeks seems kind of crazy. Luckily (here Mel the optimist returns) our landlords are being really understanding- they'll let us move out whenever we're able to find a place to live, they're not charging us any more utilities or depositing our September rent cheque. Which I guess is only fair, since we're not getting the whole suite that we pay for, and my husband may have to stay with friends or family part of the time because of this health...

MamaFern- Congrats on finding your place! My dad fished out of Steveston when I was a little kid, and wow has it ever changed! We housesat for my husband's grandfather there a few years ago, and loved spending time walking along the beach. The playground at the community centre there is awesome, too!! I had looked for rentals on Craigslist, but after I saw that you had luck, I posted a wanted to rent ad there, too. Good luck with your move! Will you still be able to have a homebirth? Will you try to transfer to new midwives?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#14 of 39 Old 08-31-2005, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter

Gunter, so sorry to hear about your neighbour. I hope she and her family can heal ok from this eventually.

MelW - that sucks, having to move - and it sounds like your landlords are decent folks, which makes it harder, doesn't it? Our landlords are friends and I dread the day we have to move (even if we buy our own place).

In some positive news, I was referred to a physiotherapist by my midwife for some pubic bone pain I was having that didn't quite fit the "norm". It had actually disappeared by the time I got to my appointment (it started lessening last week, this week haven't had it at all) but the physio checked me out anyway, determined that my hip bones were slightly wonky (VERY common in pregancy apparently) which was putting some torsion stress on the pubic bone when I stood up. So, he put me on his little table thing, did some yanking on my legs and crunching on my spine (alarming, but felt good) and declared me fixed, at least temporarily. I *could* certainly feel a difference afterwards - I felt like I had to struggle a lot less to keep good posture and I felt more balanced, somehow. The cool thing was, he said if it reoccurred, to bring DH in with me next time and the physio would just train DH how to do the corrections!

Anyway, that was fun, and I would recommend it to anyone having pubic bone pain.

My mom took me shopping this morning for the few baby items I felt I really needed -a tummy tub, a couple waterproof change table pads (actually for the baby's bedding since we're doing diaper-free) and she talked me into getting a gro-bag, which I must admit looks pretty cool. It's a travel one that you can use in a car seat (most ingenious) and I'm going to open up the bottom seam and put a drawstring in for ease of "peeing" the baby. She also couldn't resist a bunny-shaped "Peppa" doll which I admit does seem like a good toy for a baby (it's basically just a rag with knots in it, good for gnawing on if you have no teeth!)

And... I get to cut back my work day by 80%!!! And I don't lose any pay!!!! Yay big company!!!! And I finalized my mat leave date (Nov. 1).

The whole baby thing is starting to feel like reality now...

#15 of 39 Old 08-31-2005, 09:00 PM

Hi there. Boy have I had a rough week. I went to the OBGYN on Monday because I needed a shot (I'm RH-). The Midwife told me that I am anemic. Ok, I can fix that. She also said that I FAILED the 1hr. glucose test. So on Tuesday I went to the blood lab and had the 3hr. glucose test. I don't do well with blood tests. I pass out. Well they stuck me 4 times and I was a trooper about it. But now I have a huge bruise on my right arm. The doctor called today and said... I PASSED the 3hr. test with flying colors. No GD! What a relief after all of that stressing out! I was so happy I cried! On Monday I also found out that my platlets were 158, which is okay, but not excellent. I have been hoping and praying not to get Pre-eclampsia/HELLP syndrome again. So, please pray for me! I don't want my platlets to fall below 150. I am trying to eat lots of veggies with vitamin K in hopes that it will help. Who knows. If anyone has any advice, please pass it on. The good news is that this weekend we are going to Oregon. That will be fun! My baby shower is next weekend. I have been nesting up a storm. I can't belive only a few more weeks and the baby will be here. Wow!
#16 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 03:57 AM

Gunter, so sorry to hear about your neighbor. And I'm sorry for YOU to be going through it too--it's very sad, and especially hard to handle when you're pregnant yourself. Hugs . . . .

Things here are going fairly well overall, although I'm not feeling too good the last couple of days. Work is a going better, although busy. It's gotten hot here again too, and is more humid. Yesterday I was busy and running around and on my feet and had to be outside a lot, and ended up feeling like I was having a lot of contractions and my feet were pretty swollen. I made myself sit down and put my feet up and drink a bunch of water. Then in the evening DH had to go straight to his 2nd job right after his 1st job, and he got a big envelope in the mail from the place he's doing this course in the hopes of getting hired . . . I couldn't stand it and tried to call him to see if he wanted me to open it and see what it was (hiring? rejection? something else?) and he didn't answer the phone. So I decided to just drive up there and take it to him. Turns out it was nothing critical, just an assignment returned with some feedback. But I was glad that I didn't sit staring at it wondering what it was till he returned at 1 am!! Meantime though I was hungry and stopped at a sushi place I like and had a california roll with baked scallops on top. It was good. Then when I got home I was feeling guilty because I'd read some article on omega 3 fatty acids, and was feeling like my diet has not been optimal, etc. So I took a prenatal and some omega 3 fatty acids. I was tired and out of sorts and tried taking a nice bath and going to bed early, but then I was just sort of lonely and sad and feeling scared for no real reason. My stomach started hurting, I wasn't sure why. I was playing some meditation music and I started crying. Then [WARNING-- REALLY GROSS PART TO FOLLOW] I started feeling nauseous, and had to make a run for the bathroom where I ended up projectile vomiting for about half an hour or so, and I puked so hard that I peed all over the floor and apparently burst a blood vessel in my nose because blood and sushi were simultaneously coming out of my nose. It was not pleasant. And I have little red spots all over my face too from blood vessels exploding there too. Not looking my loveliest today! Of course, the whole episode reminds me why I stopped taking the prenatals in the first place--not very well tolerated by my stomach!! Anyway, I spent the next hour or deciding that I should just take the opportunity to thoroughly clean the bathroom which I'd been slacking on lately, so at least I got a nice clean bathroom out of the deal!! And DH was so sweet--I had just gone to bed when he returned around 1 am, and after working 16 hours straight, the last 8 on his feet continuously, and not even having dinner, he came in and rubbed my feet till I fell asleep!! He deserves some sort of medal of honor for husband-ness!!

In other, less disgusting news, we finally broke down and ordered the hypnobabies home study course. It's funny, I'm more worried about him and his preparation for this than mine at this point. I've attended so many home births that I have a pretty good idea of the possible range of experiences. Which is a totally different thing than going through it myself, but I've also come to believe that nothing really completely can prepare you anyway and you just have to be open to what happens to a certain extent. But I have been getting a little worried that my ad-hoc approach to "childbirth education" with him since we've been dating might have some gaps, and that a more systematic approach might be better to be sure that he at least gets what's going on and doesn't feel as scared or worried about me. He is so sensitive and very attentive, and if I'm ever sick or upset he is very concerned and always wants to make it all better. So I think it might be hard for him to see me in pain, unless he is very prepared to know what to expect and that it's okay.
#17 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 10:18 AM

its 6 am.. the 1st of SEPTEMBER! im not sure why om not asleep. i sure would love to be.. but i got antsy for some reason. ive really got the nesting bug! yesterday i made this huge yummy sheppards pie with yams and carots and all of those yummy things and baked chocolate chip cookies, i would have loved to put it all in the freezer for nov. but it feels too soon, so we just ate like royalty yesterday.

im feeling good.i feel like ive been in kind of a bad place for a few weeks but things are sorting themselves out. my sister and i had a long talk and i decided not to move..not now anyways. maybe in the spring when baby is 6 months old or so. i guess i realised how big of a transition this whole time is going to be for elwynn and that he is really happy where we are. i dont want that all to get taken from him in the last month before ngaio is born. so, my sister and i are going to do some big changes in our house.. we are switching rooms.. hers is a lot bigger than mine and it is attatched to the livingroom, whereas mine is next to the kitchen/bathroom.. the bigger room is definitly big enuff for me to set up elwynn's own bed and have the change table and other baby things i feel like i need to have to be ready for baby. she is finnished school now, so she doesnt need a big desk and we will put the computer in the livingroom. the room i have is lovely, for one person, but its just a bit cramped for 3! we aren't going to do it till she does her exam sept 15th, so in two weeks i will get to start really nesting.. i think i can wait that long. ill just knit some more stuff.. and i want to tye dye a whole bunch of white baby things that i have. i suppose there are a whole bunch of things i can be doing in that time, but it feels nice to know that im not going to have to pack everything up. the place that i was thinking of moving sounded so perfect, but they decided that they would need more $ for the 2 rooms than i could afford, so it was a sign to me that i should stay put. i also have a tendancy to run from bad stuff in my life and i dont want this living situation to end like that.. so far its been so good..and i understand the tension that every household goes through when major changes are happening.. for me, baby. for my sister, finnishing school, her liscencing exam and then starting work as a nurse.. i feel like the bad things that were said can be put away and thet living in this house for the winter can be a really good thing.

and can you believe it?! its september.. only 2 more months till november

i have my 30 week midwife appointment today. im looking forward to that. maybe thats why im up so early!

i hope you all have a wonderful day

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#18 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 10:44 AM

Gunter, so sorry to hear about your friends. I can imagine that must have shanken you up quite a bit. I hope you are doing OK and that they are finding healing.

Amygirl, good job on your 3-hour! Way to go, girl! I will send positive thoughts that you don't end up with PE/HELLP again.

Kavita, oh my dear!! That sounds terrible, but thank goodness you have an amazing partner to give you the extra TLC it sounds like you needed!

Spughy, yay for all of your good news!!

QoC - glad you had a good time on your trip!

MamaFern, that is great news that you worked everything out with your sister and now you don't have to worry about moving!! You are probably right that another huge transition right before the baby is born might be a lot for Elwynn to handle, and for YOU too! Oh you were in my dream two nights ago, too! You made me a really good vegetarian pizza, and we were eating it together talking about baby stuff.

Well my news is that I am having a hard time dealing with my emotions around the whole New Orleans thing. I can't stop thinking about it. (I lived there for 7 years, for those who don't know.) Anyway I know one of my friends made it out OK, but I still haven't been able to reach 2 others. I'm sure they left, but it's just weird not being able to reach them. Mostly I lay in bed at night and think about the city I loved, all underwater. Almost every home is destroyed, all of those people are homeless, the hospitals can't take care of the infirm. It's like one of those dooms-day movies; who expects something like that to ever *really* happen? I sit and watch the news all day, which I guess I shouldn't do, but I feel guilty for going about my normal day and not thinking about it. I feel like I should talk to a pastor or something, but my church is 3 hours away (we haven't found one since we moved to Ohio). DH is worried that I am depressing myself needlessly but it's almost like I can't NOT watch the news and think about it. Today I am going to keep busy though; I need to get Baby HQ ready for DH to paint this weekend, and I need to start week 2 of Hypnobabies and just generally not be a slug. It's been really hard though.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#19 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 10:50 AM

*amy* i can only imagine what it would feel like to have a place so dear to your heart in such termoil. i watch the news but feel detached because ive never been there, dont know anyone there.. its just images on a tv screen, like a movie.. but at the same time its REAL and scary and sad. mother nature is so powerful.

i hope that you contact your "missing" friends soon..

your dream sounds life real life. i love making home made veggie pizza, and talking about baby too :LOL too bad you live so far away wouldnt it be great to have a big get together with all of us on this DDC?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#20 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 11:11 AM

Amy, I understand. I did not live in NO, but have visted there 3 times and absolutely love that city! What's not to love? I have some of my favorite memories there with friends. Biloxi, too! I have only been there once, but it was a great trip and another one of my favorite cities. It just breaks my heart to think of the destruction and the loss. DH has been a news junkie, while I have been trying to take mine in small doses, so I don't get too overwhelmed. I figure its best for the babe, too.

You have probably seen on the news that we are having a crazy gas crisis here in Atlanta. Its so weird. Some gas stations are charging $6/gallon and there are hour long lines and shortages. While other gas stations near here are still under $3 and there are no lines. It's such an odd situation. And for my petty worry...we are driving to FL on vacation next week and I hope we don't get stranded somewhere in Alabama with no way to buy gas!

DH and I discussed whether we should take our trip next week, since it seems so frivolous. But the economists in us made us realize that the gulf coast (that is at least not devasted) probably needs our $$ and patronage. If everyone cancelled their trips down there (and I bet a lot will) more areas will be financially drained, restaurants will loose money, etc. It still feels weird to be planning a vacation amidst all this insanity. I wish the house we are renting could be given to a needy family, but in the end, that's not our decision.

Other than that, I'm just trying to get as much rest as I can. I have been working out the three days DS is in school and it feels great. I can already see some cardiovascular benefits, since its taking more resistance to get my heartrate up. I'm enjoying my weight training and I think I freak out my whole gym when I am wandering around the free weights area, doing squats and deadlifts, while I am hugely pregnant. I guess they think I might pop out a baby at the bottom of a squat or something!

Anyway, hugs to those who need them! I read all the posts, but dont always have the memory to respond to everyone. But I am thinking about everyone. This feeling of community here is wonderful!

PS: September! Woo hoo!

#21 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 05:07 PM

I've been thinking and affected by all of the hurricane news, too. I hope you hear from your friends soon, *Amy*. And enjoy your trip BensMom.

I think we have found a great place to live- and can take posession today and move in soon (maybe next weekend). I'm going to sign the rental contract in two hours! It's a two bedroom apartment not too far from here. Very clean and spacious, and with two bathrooms, too, which is an awesome bonus! As an amazing coincidence, my husband's boss (also a friend of ours) lives in the same building, just down the hall. It's just a small building- but because of Matt's boss living there, we already know a couple of people in the building. The neighbourhood is a little less nice than where we are right now, but still just a little bit further to walk back to our current 'hood- the library, cafes, community centre, etc.

Had a midwife appointment today, and all is well- I had been planning to talk a lot about birth plans, etc. but really need to focus on nesting in my new space a bit before I can really imagine birthing there. Mostly we talked about stress management...I've been trying to do lots of relaxation and visualization over the last few days. I also got instructions from the midwife to not do too much during the move- she encouraged me to take a spa day and hire movers or get friends to do everything!

Last week I posted in the weekly chat that I had such a great pregnancy and was waiting for the other shoe to drop...I guess it really did this week. Here's hoping that the rest of the pregnancy goes smoothly and stress-free. And wishing the same to all of you.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#22 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 06:09 PM

MamaFern, glad things worked out with your sister, that's so great. It sounds like your new big room will be just what you need.

Bensmom, I had not heard about the gas crisis (I am totally totally out of the news we don't own a TV, I read no newspapers, so only if I decide to check it on-line do I hear). Anyway, I am planning on driving down to Clemson, SC for a conference next week (with DH). I will be reimbursed for the cost of gas, but I hope we don't run into any problems getting it down there. Is the crisis limited to Atlanta? And, I can't beleive that you are doing deadlifts and squats -- wow . . . I used to do a lot of squats and think they are the best exercise, now I just do them with no weight, though . . .

After we get back from this trip I really really want to just focus on the birth and the baby and take time to enjoy things and relax . . . till Nov.

Glad everyone else is hanging in there
#23 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 06:16 PM

i had my 29/30 week midwife appointment and it was so nice.. i really like the midwife i saw.. there are 3 in the practice and a student who i havn't met yet. heather is the MW i saw today. she is young (just graduated last year from midwifery school) and is so nice and calm and easy to talk to.. i really like her a lot!

everything is perfect with baby.. im measuring 31 weeks or so.. BP is normal!! second visit in a row baby is head down (though i know it changes frequently) and i got to hear her HB with the fetascope again..
all in all it was a nice time and my next one is in 4 weeks.. i could have had it in 3 but i wanted to see suzie, she delivered elwynn

MelW- congrats on finding a place! it sounds perfect. i hope the move is smooth and stress free..

plagio, Yes, i think it is what i need

Quote:

#24 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 07:23 PM - Thread Starter

BensMom - I totally hear you with the gym thing - I feel very selfconscious doing moderately heavy weights (I also do deadlifts and squats) with other people around, and I find I'm almost waiting for someone to come up to me and tell me I shouldn't be doing it... I'm buying a weight set so I can do it at home. More because I don't think I'll make it to the gym much after the baby is born than because of the stares though.

Plagio - squats ARE awesome. Unweighted squats are fine but there's no reason you can't add some weight on if you want! Just don't use too much because at this point your muscles may be able to handle more weight than your ligaments. Deadlifts are WONDERFUL for staving off back pain, and keeping your butt looking cute BTW the physio I saw yesterday was VERY happy that I was doing this kind of weight training - despite there being a complete lack of encouragement for it in most pregnancy literature, it really is good for you, as long as you do it properly and aim for either slow gains or just muscle maintenance.

#25 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 07:42 PM

RE: weight training -- yeah, I HATE cardio and LOVE weights. Funny thing is when you weight train you get your heart rate up anyway, so why not kill two birds with one stone and just do the weights (personal preference anyway).
#26 of 39 Old 09-01-2005, 11:36 PM

I hadn't even noticed that gas prices were up over there, either- I'd seen threads on here asking for ways to cut gas consumption, but hadn't thought any more of it. Here's hoping you get a speedy resolution.
Life here is still quiet. I'm typing at 3am- after spending all day out in the sun, walking and blackberry picking with the boys (we wandered along the banks of the river to Wivenhoe, a very cute, slightly crunchy village just outside town.) It's only about 4 miles, but with the blackberries and the herons and kestrel and everything else, it took them about 3 hours... and then we bumped into some friends of mine from uni and their children and spent the afternoon sitting outside the pub by the river, crabbing, talking and catching up on all the news. I can't believe it's already 10 years since I moved down here- I don't FEEL 28, if you know what I mean? At least, not normally. The pretty little village also has a new second-hand mother-and-baby shop, and it's always nice to have an excuse to go back. (In case you're wondering, we wimped out and got the train home. It took 5 minutes, plus a 20 minute walk from the station.)
Baby is fine- I'm measuring 30 weeks and I'm just on 29, so I'm hoping for a nice small baby this time- it's the first time I've had a midwife who prefers numbers on tape measures to estimates, but I know it doesn't mean too much in the end- and the boys got to hear the heartbeat and spend a long time interrogating Sandra. Alex told her that before I got pregnant, I'd planned on training as a midwife myself (which I hadn't got round to mentioning yet- thanks, Alex) and she's being very supportive and really thinks I should go for it next year- and has offered a work shadow placement, once baby and I are ready for it.
Bensmom, I really don't know how you can I am in awe- I can't get comfortable on any of the equipment in the gym apart from the cross-trainer, so I'm spending most of my time in the pool. I'll get a little more time next week though- the boys go back to school on Tuesday, so for two months my days will be my own. I have no idea what I'm going to do with my time, though.
I think that's everything- oh, apart from the fact that my last shift at work is on Sunday. I'm going to kind of miss it- and everyone- but spending all day on my feet is getting too much for me.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#27 of 39 Old 09-02-2005, 04:17 AM

Hey ladies,

Thanks for the virtual hugs. I gotta confess that I need more of them! Went to the service today for my friends' preemie babe who passed on. They are just such an awesome family! We went to there house later tonight (we're neighbors) and talked about how their faith has guided them through and transformed them. Very cool stuff to hear and to have seen happen for them...her short life obviously had great purpose. It was great to hear all the neat things they believe god showed them through her life in the past month. I am not a religious person but I do believe in god. So it was cool to hear people experiencing live/active/real faith today...not just relying on how they grew up or what someone else told them to believe.

Hope that's acceptable to write here. I certainly don't mean offense to anyone by it.

Even though our talks were great, I am still feeling in the dumps. Not the major dumps but pretty down. It's weird for me b/c I used to struggle with depression but have not had a lick of it the whole pregnancy. DH and I have been revelling in the freedom from depression and how happy I have been! This whole week it's like it's trying to creep back into my life. I DO NOT have room for it and it is not welcome. I never used to really fight depression...I felt crappy and thought that I deserved to feel that way. For the first time, I feel like I deserve more and so does babe-in-utero/my family! So, yeah, that's where I am at right now. It's 3am here and obviously I cannot sleep. I am getting really informed about CDs though and have splurged on the TP this week.

I covet your positive energy and well wishes. I haven't asked for much support but would you mamas just send me some good vibes/prayers/whatever you want to call it? TIA I value this online community a lot!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#28 of 39 Old 09-02-2005, 08:12 AM

Sending love and positive feelings your way, Stacy.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#29 of 39 Old 09-02-2005, 12:48 PM

Many postive thoughts headed your way Gunter.

Way for our mommies that have found a new place or don't have to move at all. This is such a not fun time to be in the middle of a move.

I think we have found a place to move in and the lady put us at the top of the list if anyone moves out sooner then expected. I guess there are times when it is good to look further along then I am. Aside from that I have been sick with a cold or something which seems to be trying to turn in to yet another sinus infection. This would be either the third or fourth just since the start of this pregnancy! Before this I had not had antibiotics in about 5 years : Its driving me insane that every little thing seems to be causing my sinuses to get backed up and infected in under a week.

On the good side of things I get to go shopping for material this weekend Poor dh probably isn't happy as I can get lost in a fabric store for hours, but there are some big sales going on and you can't beat the price on fleece. I had already been planning on sewing some fleece sleep sacks for the little guy so I can finally get to work on them. I will probably also be going through the patterns and picking out some other stuff to make for him. Other then that I don't think we will be going much of anywhere or doing much of anything since the price of gas is insane and there are people running to the pumps filling up there huge suv's along with as many spare tanks as they could find to fill up. I'm really starting to think that the world has just gone totally insane.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#30 of 39 Old 09-02-2005, 02:26 PM

I was being pretty pragmatic about the gas thing, thinking that if people would just chill out, there would not be a problem. But WTH! I drove by 5 gas stations on the way to the lake this morning and 3 of them looked totally out of gas and the others only had a few pumps working. This is not supposed to happen!

I guess I would accept it if it were truely a disruption of supply due to Katrina. But knowing that people who are hording gas are causing 75% of this, makes me really angry and ticked off that I may have to cancel my vacation and loose $250 in the house rental because I cannot get to freaking FL!

Sorry, I know people have bigger issues and I feel petty to vent, but come on...this is being caused by idiots!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page