What are you calling the grandparents? - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 04:43 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
OK, admittedly, this is kind of lame, but I am wondering what you are planning on calling your parents and your DP's parents in terms of them being grandparents.

This is the first grandchild for both of our families, so we're all kind of deciding together. We have my dad and step-mom, who will probably be Grandpa (or Grand-dad) and Grandma. Then we've got DH's mom and her husband, and then DH's dad and his wife. We may go with Grammy for DH's mom, because it rhymes with her name (Tammy), and DH said he thinks his dad should be Papa. So that leaves DH's step-mom and step-dad.

So what else do we have to choose from? What does your family use?

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#2 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 05:39 PM

Grammy Tammy, that's cute

There is already a grandchild on either side, so our grandparent names have already been chosen for us. My mom is Grammy, b/c my much-beloved grandmother was Granny so she wanted something close but not the same. Problem is, my ds can't even remotely say Grammy!

MIL is Mommom, which is what they all call grandmothers on that side.

The problem arises with the grandfathers- both are already PopPop! Which I really like (plus it's easy for ds to say!), but how to differentiate which is which? They are pretty traditional so I'm not sure if they would go for "Poppop Jim" and "Poppop Mike" (ie, they don't think it's respectful to use adult's first names), I thought maybe Mom's Poppop and Dad's Poppop but maybe that's kind of weird. My son is 2 1/2 and we've never asked We don't see them a whole lot so it doesn't come up a lot, but I would like our kids to know which grandfather we're talking about!

We called our other grandparents Nana and Pop growing up.

I think any variant of Granny, gran, grandma, grandpop, grampa are nice

Dh and I always joke around and say Pappy, how about that? :LOL
#3 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 05:47 PM

First grandchild on both sides in my family, too. MIL wants to be called Mimi (or Mee-Mee?) I have no idea where she got that from, but so be it....I asked if that means FIL will be called Pee-Pee, but he didn't think that was so funny! :LOL
My mom wants to be Gramma.
My grandparents are already Gram and Pop and DH's grandmother is Nana so I'm guessing they'll just be their respective names to the new baby as well.

I'm sure the babe will end up foiling all of our grandparent-naming plans anyway, but it's fun to think about!
#4 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbaby
MIL wants to be called Mimi (or Mee-Mee?) I have no idea where she got that from, but so be it....I asked if that means FIL will be called Pee-Pee, but he didn't think that was so funny! :LOL

LOL, thanks for the chuckle! Pee-pee DOES make sense, though, if you're going with Mimi!!
#5 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 06:13 PM

My mom will be Granny (her mother is Granny to me & my sisters) and I think DH's parents will be Grandma & Grandpa.

Believe it or not, we figured this out 2 years ago with the dog...

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#6 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 06:37 PM

elwynn calls my mom grama and her partner grampa.. his great granparents on his dad's side are oma and opa and otherwise its grama and grampa for all of the other oldies :LOL my great grandmother was "nanna" to me and i loved that term, but my grama didnt want to be a nanna.. so there you go..

on another note elwynn has started calling me "fern" sometimes rather than mommy or momma.. i dunno if i like it, but i guess its nice to know that he knows my name

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 06:54 PM

Some similarities here: I called one grandmother Nana, too. My mom will go by Grand-mere, she got that name when we got our dog. Don't know about the other 3 yet, but I suspect that DH's parents will be Grandma and Grandpa or something similar.
#8 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 08:05 PM

Now, keep in mind that I picked none of these names, all gp's picked their own. My parents picked Nana and Papa, which seems quite reasonable. However, my ridiculous in-laws chose Mumsie (wtf) and Pop-Pop. Believe it or not, Mumsie actually fits her somehow :LOL Oh well, to each his own.
#9 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 08:47 PM

MIL and FIL are Grandmom and Pop Pop. DH's grandparents are Grammy and Poppy.
Only living member on my side is my dad, he's also known as Pop Pop. I have a pic of my (deceased and very missed) Mom up with her name in the matting as Grandmom Rose...just so they get to see her and know they have another Grandmom presence in their lives....
#10 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 10:03 PM

Both of dh's parents are now deceased, but we refer to them as mawmaw and pawpaw. Dh called his grandparents by those names so it seemed natural to call his dad that with the kids and we have always refered to his mother as mawmaw, 3.5 yeear old dd can point out her mawmaw in pictures. My parents are simply grandma and grandpa. We will run in to some confusion when my grandma visits with my mom this winter. We always called our grandparents grandma or grandpa Last name. I am not sure how well that will work with a then 4 year old though. We have also referred to my grandma as great-grandma so we will see what she ends up being called when they get here.

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#11 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 10:09 PM

All we have is MIL and I have always referred to her as Gramma. SIL's kids (who are older, so I guess should have been able to set the tone) call her Gran Gran, but I never really liked that at all. So MIL tried to call herself Gran Gran to Ben for awhile, but I (stubbornly) called her Gramma anyway. Now he says it so I guess its a moot point.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#12 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 10:57 PM

my parents are nana and pops. my dhs parents are grandma and grandpa.
my grandparents are mema and papa
#13 of 20 Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 PM

My boys have three gentlemen in their lives (all on their dad's side) who they call grandad. Kids can figure things out by context better than we think they can- you don't always need to do the work for them.
My mum is granje (grandma jean) and my FIL will be grandad to the bump- he's already grandad michael to my boys.

Fern, you know this is normal, right? Apparently my dad had a conversation with my big cousin some 44 years ago when she started calling him David, instead of Uncle David- and told her that he felt hurt because she was the only person who could call him that and she didn't want to. When 18 came, and 21, my parents told her that it was OK for her to use their first names if she'd rather... she never has My boys use mummy and my name interchangeably- but never, EVER mum.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#14 of 20 Old 08-30-2005, 01:17 AM

maternal grandparents: Grandma and Grandpa
paternal grandparents: Grandmommy and Pop-Pop
great grandparents: Granny, Grandmother, Nana & Papa (what DH and I call our grandparents)

Pretty basic. My Dad is VERY against any "silly" names (in his opinion, anything other than Grandpa prettymuch). My MIL seriously considered being "Manny" because that's what her little brothers called her when they were kids - her name is Mary Virginia and that was their version of it. Finally, though, she decided she liked Grandmommy better (so do I). They got to decide on their names because DS is the first grandchild on both sides - he's also the first great-grandchild for FIL's mother.

We let them decide what they wanted to be called without any input from us - they don't get input into what DS calls us, after all!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#15 of 20 Old 08-30-2005, 09:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
We let them decide what they wanted to be called without any input from us - they don't get input into what DS calls us, after all!
:LOL Good point!

It is fun to read everyone's posts! We just called our grandparents Grandma and Grandpa Lastname. Well, when I was very little I called them Green Grandma/Grandpa and Blue Grandma/Grandpa because that's what colors their cars were!

It is kind of weird to see what people choose for themselves isn't it? I think I would probably go by Mimi for my grandkids (assuming I have any) because, kind of like what you said QoC, that's what my little brother called me when he was a baby, so it has special feelings for me.

I never knew so many grandfathers went by Poppy or Pop-pop! Is that a northeastern thing? I lived in the south for a good portion of my life, and most grandfathers there are Pawpaw - which is not pronounced the same as Papa!! DH's grandparents are Memaw and Pawpaw, so it would seem kind of weird to have anyone in our parents' generation called that! That's part of the reason I'd kind of like my dad to be Grand-dad instead of Grandpa; "Grandpa" to me means *my* grandfather!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#16 of 20 Old 08-30-2005, 10:17 AM

My in laws are called Gee-Gee (her name is Ginny) and Pop and my parents are called Papi and well... my mom never specified what she wanted to be called so I call her Grama Lilla (her name is maryla like in Anne of Green Gables just spelled differently).

Actually we thought Gee-Gee (Gigi) was a little out there so we call my MIL Grama Giggles behind her back... yeah, I know it'll backfire one day but oh well... you gotta have fun.

All this to say my son still doesn't know their "names" yet anyway so it doesn't matter for now.
#17 of 20 Old 08-30-2005, 01:42 PM

DD calls me Mama and her dad Papa. This has translated into MeMeMe (with soft 'e' as in 'mess', not hard 'e' as in me) for any grandmother (or older lady) and grandfathers are called PaPaPa. She is starting to distinguish them by name, as in PaPaPa Phil, etc.

My (older) friend wants her grandkids to call her 'Grandmother'. The idea of that just rubs me raw; all I can think of is some stern, unloving person one has to visit out of obligation, not someone to cuddle and play with. Maybe that's just me though.
#18 of 20 Old 08-31-2005, 12:53 PM

My parents are Nana and Papa. My in-laws are Gran and Grampy. Well, they are *supposed* to be, but MIL keeps changing her mind, even after almost two years! DD has recently started calling her grampy "Buppy", though, which is really cute, and I think it'll stick.
#19 of 20 Old 08-31-2005, 12:54 PM

my mother is meema and my dad is granpa
my mil is bubby and her hubby is papa
my fil is poppy and his wife is mema michele
#20 of 20 Old 09-02-2005, 12:31 PM

My mom's stepgrands call her Mamaw, but I couldn't call her that when dd was born b/c I was so close to her mother who was Mamaw to me, so we referred to her as "Granny" but my mom kept saying Kenna could call her whatever she wanted to. After Mama and Dada, Kenna's next word was Nana, so my mom is Nana.

My stepdad is Papaw Gary. My inlaws and Grandmomma and Grandaddy (there oldest grandkid is almost 9 and those names were decided then, although Kenna has yet to say either).

Kenna has been calling me by my first name some...I usually respond by saying, "yes, mama's name is Christa" The poor kiddo we keep during the day is very confused...she calls us momma and daddy and her parents (at least her mom) take issue with that, so we try to remind her of our first names, which makes Kenna use them too! Kenna's also been using Mommy lately and that really gets on my nerves for some reason, so I'm trying not to answer to it!

Christa

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page