Switching Gears - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 4 Old 08-29-2005, 11:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
This is our 2nd pregnancy. I did not have the birth that I wanted last time for several reasons. I had a hospital birth last time with an OB that would blow off all my desires & wants during the birth of our daughter. This time around I looked for a midwife group & changed hospitals. I was feeling pretty good about my decision & actually really like my midwives & the MD that is on staff has the same beliefs as his midwives on staff.

Last week we toured the hospital & all the feelings of upsetness came rushing back through & I have been having small panic attacks this week because of it. I had half joked with my husband during this pregnancy that this would be our last one in a hospital & that I wanted to do a homebirth next time after I had the assurance that I could do this without meds since the first time I had an epidural.

The more I think about it the more I think I want a homebirth this time & my fears for not wanting one like the meds or something happening to the baby are less than the fears that I have of a hospital birth. So now the only thing that is stopping us in the money. The wonderful state of GA is very strict on only MDs to deliver babies. My insurance will not cover Midwives or Doulas. The midwife group that I use now has to bill under the MD they work for.

We will be having an interview with a homebirth midwife this week though just to see if this is possible.

Those of you that have had homebirths do you mind giving me an insight on anything you think I should know. Any questions to ask the midwife or any of your fears or regrets?

Thanks so much!!
#2 of 4 Old 08-30-2005, 08:13 PM

I don't have a lot of suggestions- we have a totally different system here in British Columbia where midwives are fully funded by the government and work with home and hospital births.

I would ask about what circumstances she would want to transfer, and how it would work given that she is working illegally. Also what her back up is, and if she would want you to continue with parallel care with your current midwives.

As for other questions to ask, check the archives on the homebirth board-- there was a thread (maybe about a month ago) about questions to ask a homebirth midwife. Good luck with your interview!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#3 of 4 Old 08-31-2005, 10:08 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you I have spent alot of time looking over that forum. I think Im going to cross post this over there too
#4 of 4 Old 08-31-2005, 11:23 AM

I totally understand where you are coming from. I originally had the same idea - birth in a hospital w/o drugs to proove that I can do it and then have a homebirth for #3. Well, after doula-ing for several area hospitals and seeing the BS that goes along with *every* birth, I just couldn't do it. I cannot walk into a hospital, hoping that they will leave me alone (unless there was a reason to go to a hospital).

We are in GA, too. What part of town are you in? Our birth network has a lot of doulas and people in the homebirth community and I can get you the name of a few people to talk to if you have any questions. (Since I have not BTDT, yet). You have my email, let me know if I can help. Yeah, the laws suck. But a lot of us are also trying to get out there and change them!

Also, a lot of MWs will take payments and will work with you on payment. Its hard, but knowing what I know, I just cannot imagine not trying for the homebirth.

Good luck to you. I think the MW should be able to calm your fears. Ask her about things like what she transfers for, her transfer rates, how many of those are emergencies, how she does newborn assessment, what she would do in the case of...meconium, hemorrage, long stage 2, etc.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page