Mommas who've given birth before please remind me... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-30-2005, 01:41 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I feel weird asking this (not embarassed or anything) but what is the postpartum flow like? I honestly can't remember. And then of course I know it is different for everyone too. The REASON I'm trying to remember is because I need to order/look for postpartum mama pads and I want to get an idea of how many I'll need. As far as I can remember it lasted a long time but wasn't heavy after maybe the first week to 10 days or so... but I'm not really that sure. Does this seem feasible? I had so few periods between babies too that it's kind of foreign territory to me :LOL . Anyway I promised myself not to buy any of that nasty, toxic, storebought stuff this time (I never knew how bad it was until I had a baby and got into CDing). I'll probably get a package or two of organic disposable pads as back up but I'd rather use cloth.

Well, thanks.
~Monique~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2005, 01:59 PM

Mine was heavy for a month afterwards and didn't stop completely until about 6 weeks PP.

I may, however, be a genetic freak. I have very looong, heavy periods as well. So take my experience with a grain of salt...
Old 08-30-2005, 02:29 PM

Hi,
my lochia experience was disturbingly bloody for a good 10 days, then began to taper off, but lasted (including spotting) for 6 weeks. After the initial days, it changes colors... I figure, stock up on the organic stuff for a couple weeks, and then you might be ready for washable pads... if you're up for it. Just as an aside, is it a good idea to wash mama pads and newborn diapers together? Or is it better to keep them apart? (I guess hot water is hot water, no matter what is in the load.)

Feathere
Old 08-30-2005, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feathere
Hi,
my lochia experience was disturbingly bloody for a good 10 days, then began to taper off, but lasted (including spotting) for 6 weeks. After the initial days, it changes colors... I figure, stock up on the organic stuff for a couple weeks, and then you might be ready for washable pads... if you're up for it. Just as an aside, is it a good idea to wash mama pads and newborn diapers together? Or is it better to keep them apart? (I guess hot water is hot water, no matter what is in the load.)

Feathere
ditto but I'm a heavy bleeder anyway. The first 2 days PP I could've worn a diaper just because of the clots and pure amount of bleeding...
Old 08-30-2005, 06:14 PM

I had VERY heaving bleeding for about the first week (golfball sized clots and all), and my bleeding didn't stop until 5-6 weeks postpartum. I actually did wear Depends the first week because it was just uncontainable! A Depends with a massive pad that I had to change about every 2 hours and I layered witch-hazel hemmoroid wipes over that to help my episiotomy heal. After the first week, it was like a regular period for about 2 more weeks, then spotting (heavy at times) for another couple of weeks.

My birthday is two weeks before my due date and I'm asking for a bidet attachment for my toilet! Not a very romantic birthday gift, but one that will be immensely appreciated!!!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Old 08-30-2005, 07:19 PM

On a little different note. I was soaking/changing my ( HEAVY ) pads about every 2hours after delivery until about day 4 then It would take a good 4-6 hours to soak one ( although I did change them more often to feel cleen. I was totally done bleeding by about week 3. I don't have really heavy periods normally just average...heavey on day 1 & 2 then lighter each day until day 5-6. HTH
Old 08-30-2005, 07:52 PM

Two days of soaking through two maternity towels an hour, then two days of soaking through one maternity towel per hour, then two weeks of changing pads every 2-4 hours, depending on activity levels- the flow didn't calm down until 3-4 weeks postpartum, and finally stopped at about 5. That said, I did buy horrible cheap maternity towels (from ASDA, owned by Walmart) so the quality probably wasn't the best.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM

It's interesting to see that a lot of people have heavy/protracted bleeding.....I did too last time, similar to the time frames of most mamas here.

I have read that staying in bed the first few days can drastically reduce the overall bleeding. Also that if you start bleeding too much (after the first couple weeks) you are doing too much.

When I had extended bleeding my midwife told me to take some ibuprofen and it would help put a damper on it. I think it did help somewhat.....

Shoot, I know there was something else to help reduce the bleeding. ??? I can't think of it now.

Anyway, not much in answer to the original question but mostly on topic.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:33 PM

i bled a LOT right after the birth, but then only had spotting for about 4 days.. i was surprised that it was such a short time, i guess my body just dispelled most of the blood in one fell swoop..

i used cloth pads and washcloths and things for bleeding.. thats what i normally use for my monthly period, though im thinking of getting a keeper after baby is born and im all back to normal

im not sure about things to help bleeding but i imagione red raspberry leaf tea is really good ( i drink it durring pregnancy and durring my moon time).. and nettle to replenish iron lost.. i bet there is a good post partum herb mix..mommas milk tea is probably also good.. all of the things that help make milk probably also help the body get back to normal quickly

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-31-2005, 01:50 PM

I don't really remember either, and it really wasn't that long ago! I do know it wasn't as heavy as I'd expected...never the "soaking through a towel" kind of bleeding. I bled fairly heavily for the first four days or so, and then it was more like a moderate to heavy period. By the end of the next week, it had tapered off to a lighter flow, and lasted another week. So I'd say about 3-4 weeks in total?

User Tag List