How are you preparing for childbirth? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 16 Old 08-30-2005, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hi Mamas,
Just wondering how some of you are preparing for childbirth (I don't mean formal classes). As I approach the 10 weeks-to-go mark (on Friday) I feel on fire to do all sorts of baby related things. Since we are planning a homebirth, I am on the lookout for sheets, towels, attempting to make my own hot packs (with rice in a sock), stocking up on some essential oils, considering making my own mama pads... the list could go on. I've been rereading all my pregnancy and birth books, culling as much info as I can into another form for dh to read. And I even checked out a birth video last week from the library.

That was a bit of a mistake. It's one thing to remember that I actually delivered a child and quite another to watch a bulging perineum and realize that I'll be doing that again! I think it shocked me to see it, even though I understand the logistics and am up for it. (Granted, after the initial sight of my daughter crowning, I didn't care to see more. I don't have to see it, I just want to do it.)

Anyone have specific tasks they want to complete before birthing, or any frenzied activity they want to share?

Feathere
#2 of 16 Old 08-30-2005, 02:27 PM

Tasks I want to complete: sort out donated baby stuff, re-donate things I don't want, make casseroles & other re-heatables for freezing, get DH comfortable with the mechanics of birth (relying mostly on the formal classes for this though), figure out when my mom should come to play kitchen/laundry slave, set up donated crib to see if it can be fitted to our bed for quasi-cosleeping and if not, get DH to make bed extension (bed is already full of humans & pets, baby will not fit), make baby food for next summer by canning some seasonal foods now (apples, chestnuts, pumpkin, squash, salmon, etc.).

Tasks I have actually started: none. Tasks I will probably actually get to: sorting the baby stuff & the crib. Maybe a bit of canning, because it's fun. But it's good to have goals, right?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#3 of 16 Old 08-30-2005, 07:31 PM

This post is really making me remember how much I intended to do but haven't done because I've been so caught up in work these past few weeks! Hopefully I'll be able to turn this into impetus to get my butt moving on tasks.

We still need to order diapers and get that set up, rearrange furniture in the house so there is space in the baby's room, get clothes set up for post-partum, cook and freeze things, clean the carpets and find old sheets and towels for our first days and hours PP.

I feel close to emotionally and physically prepped for the birth, but the house around me is a disaster zone and DH and I start back to school full time in a week! We may have to hire/bribe an army of friendly elves to help us out here.
#4 of 16 Old 08-30-2005, 07:35 PM

i have a LOT to do :LOL but all in good time.. *stay in there baby... at least till your due date!*

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#5 of 16 Old 08-30-2005, 07:41 PM

Feathere, wow, you are on the ball Right now we are planning on a birth center birth, but I'm hoping for a homebirth, and your post made me realize that I may have a LOT of planning and prep to do in a short time if we do stay home!!

I've done not a thing yet! I do feel prepared mentally and emotionally for giving birth- I'm really looking forward to it. I haven't really honed in on waht visualizations or techniques I want to use in labor...though you don't really know until the time, I want to focus on a few techniques/images so I'm not scrambling in labor.
#6 of 16 Old 08-30-2005, 08:09 PM

i guess ive got everything in terms of diapering, clothes, knit things ( though ill just keep knitting tilll baby comes im sure. i love it so) but in terms of nesting im not doing that yet, mostly because i just cant, not without first moving and stuff... so i guess i feel like everything i can do ive done, but there is a lot of other stuff to do as well..

i also want to cook lots of yummy things to put in the freezer.. ! i figure as the rainy season sets in ill feel more like doing this. its been rainy for the last dew days and ive been making really yummy meals that i havnt made all summer.

i look forward to having another winter baby. i loved the time just snuggled up in our warm cozy house after elwynn was born...

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#7 of 16 Old 08-31-2005, 12:47 PM

I have way too much to do. Waaaaaaaay toooooo muuuucccchhh. The world won't end if most of it doesn't get done, but I'd like to get to it, you know?

The most important thing for me, right now, is to begin mentally and emotionally preparing for the birth. I've been seeing a therapist throughout this pgy to work through some issues that came up during DD's birth, related to my PTSD from being sexually assaulted. I hadn't realized it had such an impact on the birth experience until many, many months later. So, I'm doing a lot to prepare mentally this time, and then I'm also doing the fun stuff like organizing all the wee cloth diapers, getting the clothes ready, etc.
#8 of 16 Old 08-31-2005, 07:40 PM - Thread Starter

It's so interesting to see different people respond to the question of preparing! I wish I could say I actually am on the ball, but don't be misled: I read posts and remembered a bunch more stuff that I need to do.

Let me share with you my probably misguided, unnecessary appoach to the next 10 weeks: this weekend I am drawing up a list of all the stuff that I need to do, and sorting it by priority. then I am going to assign different tasks to different weeks, starting with the most important, and then on Monday, I am going to try to actually do some of the stuff I need to do. I know the saying, "if you want to make God laugh, tell him (her) your plans"... we'll see how it goes. I told this to one of my nonpg irl friends and she said I had way too much going on in my head.. but what can I say, it's the hormones!
#9 of 16 Old 09-01-2005, 02:13 AM

I finally (today actually...) got signed up for a birthing class. Waited long enough, did I? I didn't want to take one with the clinic because I don't want a hospital focused one. I have a fear of doctors and hospitals so that would not be a very comfortable class for me... only one was being offered this fall at the right time and the teacher (she's a midwife) has a three or four month old so it took her a bit to get things worked out.

Other than that I am devouring books like a fiend! I read the Continuum Concept, Spiritual Midwifery, Diaper Free, Infant Potty Training, I'm in the middle of Ina May's Guide to Childbirth, and I will soon read Birthing From Within.

Our room is getting straightened up slowly but surely (since we'll be co-sleeping) though there's still a lot to do with that. Our bathroom is nasty, but dh says he'll take care of that soon! I need to sort through baby clothes and figure out what else we'll need. We finally got our registry up and are giving the site to people (about time...). Um... we need to get the birthing tub, but my birthing class instructor is the one who has it so that shouldn't be a problem.

We got one of the VW busses to our house last weekend and the other will be towed here tomorrow morning (not baby-related, but good to have done before the baby comes).

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
#10 of 16 Old 09-02-2005, 01:22 PM

I've got a painter here right now. I need to hire a gardener to come finish the work in our backyard. It's totally torn apart from a redo we got half way through, and right now is a hazard to adults and our dog, much less the new baby.

Get a plumber to put the new bathroom faucet in and fix the leak in the sink.

Figure out the logistics of my parent's visit. They are coming from the opposite coast, and I don't know how long they can stay, plus I need a crystal ball to figure out the timing of baby here, and they want to stay elsewhere after baby is born, so find housing.

Collect the various donations of furniture and baby gear.

Finish my registry.

Rearrange furniture.

Decide on a birth tub and arrange for it.

Start babyproofing

You'll note almost none of this includes actually getting the house ready for the birth.

I'd better go do something productive, this list is making me hyperventilate.
#11 of 16 Old 09-02-2005, 01:31 PM

I've got a painter here right now. I need to hire a gardener to come finish the work in our backyard. It's totally torn apart from a redo we got half way through, and right now is a hazard to adults and our dog, much less the new baby.

Get a plumber to put the new bathroom faucet in and fix the leak in the sink.

Figure out the logistics of my parent's visit. They are coming from the opposite coast, and I don't know how long they can stay, plus I need a crystal ball to figure out the timing of baby here, and they want to stay elsewhere after baby is born, so find housing.

Collect the various donations of furniture and baby gear.

Finish my registry.

Rearrange furniture.

Decide on a birth tub and arrange for it.

Start babyproofing

You'll note almost none of this includes actually getting the house ready for the birth.

I'd better go do something productive, this list is making me hyperventilate.
#12 of 16 Old 09-02-2005, 03:44 PM

Yeah, this sure sounds like a to do list thread. As I look around my house everyday I see things that need to be done but I just dont' have the energy to do them. So I'm choosing to believe that all will be done that needs to be done. I was so stressed out about getting things done last time I twiddled my thumbs for the last month and got really depressed because the only thing I had left to do was go into labor and birth the baby. I don't mind being a little more last minute this time. Dh also tends to be a little more proactive around the house when there is a newborn around so I know I can rely on him for the immediate stuff. Everything else can just be put on hold. I'm looking forward to baking in November with my baby in the sling and my toddler on his stool helping pour milk and flour into the mixing bowl. Also looking forward to making Christmas cards and caramels for the holidays. I know that despite all the stuff that I really should get my butt moving on and do in preparation for the baby is all just fluff. I know that if I'm still in the same place at the end of October that I'm in right now (to do list-wise) the baby will still come and I'll still be able to handle it. Newborns don't need much more than a clean bottom and a mouthful of boob... basically me. And I know I'll be here...
Peaceful and energizing vibes to all you mommas who are stressing about getting stuff done!!!
#13 of 16 Old 09-02-2005, 05:38 PM

I am with some of the other ladies on the goals are good right!
I find that having a 2 yo right now has really changed my preparedness!!!! Last time I was ready in full at 25weeks!!! This time, not so much. I did get an Amby though so I am going to give myself some points for that and I would like to re-read the Bradley Method book ( between all of the parenting books I am reading ).
I would also like to make sure that my Breast Pump ( Madela Double PIS ) is running & has all of the appropriate parts after lending it to a friend.( When my milk comes in, in REALLY comes in!)
Other then that, my goal is to make it through the next 8 weeks without going insane from lack of sleep, and hormonal crabbiness )
#14 of 16 Old 09-02-2005, 07:03 PM

We got a TON of decluttering done last weekend, which felt great. I really should make some sort of "master list" because my memory has gone a bit downhill lately. Right now I really want to start on this longies pattern (crochet) and sew some more diapers. I also need to make a shopping list. We have just about everything, but there are probably a dozen little things that we still need.
#15 of 16 Old 09-03-2005, 01:37 AM
Banned

I've been preparing for months. Nearly everything for baby is purchased, and we are meeting with the doula tomorrow.

As far as cooking meals in advance - nah. I will make quick easy stuff or have my husband do it. :LOL
#16 of 16 Old 09-03-2005, 06:52 PM

New here . I am due on Nov. 17th. I am having a homebirth this time around and am trying to figure out exactly what I need. So any advise would be appreciated. I have all the baby stuff I need. I am expecting my 3rd girl so I have all kinds of clothes. Baby's room is almost done Ya!! Not sure on what kinds of meals to prepare to freeze. I have never done this. Anybody have any good freezing recipes?? Still trying to organize our house from our move in April. Still trying to decide on what to do with my dd's during the birth. I want them there but don't want them to be in the room. (4 1/2 & 20mo.) I am so ready emotionally but not housewise.

Sherry

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page