leg cramps -- Miracle Cure! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 08-31-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
For one week I suffered from bad leg cramping that would keep me up from 3 or 4 AM onward. Really frustrating and tiring. I read all the usual stuff -- calcium, potassium, magnesium, etc, streching, etc. Did nothing for me. For the last 2 nights I have slept with pillows elevating my legs, at about the knee level, and they are gone -- if my legs go off the pillow they start to come back, then I just scootch them back over on the pillow and it's fine. I am so thankful I discovered this and wonder why in all that I read in my books and on-line, I never saw this mentioned.

Anyone else have leg cramps? Maybe some of the supplements work for others but not for me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2005, 04:18 PM

i was having really really bad leg cramps at night a few months ago. i started taking my cal/mag before bed.. a big dose.. and making sure i eat half or a whole banana a day. the potassium is super important to calcium obsorbtion and assimilation. after i started doing this i havnt had any cramps. i also try to strestch out my legs at the el\nd of the day.. a few simple yoga strethces is all, and that also helps.. especially if i have walked a lot that day i was tending to get cramps.
i know that you say that none of these things are helping, so maybe this is just silly to post, but its what helped me!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 08-31-2005, 05:12 PM

My MW recommends cal/Mg supplements - but ONLY the liquid one. I don't know why it works, but my husband is taking a tablet Ca+/Mg supp. I tried it when I ran out of liquid and it didn't work, but the liquid does (even though it is a lower doseage). Go figure.
Old 08-31-2005, 05:24 PM - Thread Starter

It's good to know the Cal/Mag stuff helps some people, since it seems to be so highly recommeded. I might try it again, but I know that I was taking enough since I increased my dose till it gave me loose stools so I know I was getting enough. I know my legs still want to cramp up, since they do when they go off the pillows, so it might be worth trying again. Thanks.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:01 PM

I have been eating a lot of bananas with my nightly ice cream (my only vice anymore!) and I find that if I skip a couple of days my leg cramps start coming back.
Old 08-31-2005, 09:34 PM

If anyone who has leg cramps is using Hypnobabies, just use your relaxation cue-word. Works like a charm every time. Sends a flood of relaxation/natural anethesia to the leg and the cramp is instantly gone. This really saved me last pregnancy!

Sadly, this pregnancy I'm not as far along in Hypnobabies (and the leg cramps have started) so I haven't started practicing my cue-words yet so its not quite as effective - but visualizing the white light of relaxation going through the muscle does help some. I'll be sure to try the pillow technique!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.

User Tag List