Scents that I love - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 05:19 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I spent the first trimester running from anything scented, or trying to cover it up with citrus (I always kept lemons/limes in my wide mouth water bottle, and would sniff often). Now I am craving crazy scents...

Citrus- still wonderful
Compost- I have an indoor worm composting bin, and it smells terrific. I keep looking for reasons to open that closet and sniff the earthy smell.
My husbands deodorant- Tom's of Maine woodspice. I've been wearing it lately, and sniffing him whenever I can!

Anyone else craving scents? I haven't had any food cravings at all, just smells.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#2 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 06:02 PM

vanilla had always been my favorite scent and i still love it. i make vanilla oatmeal bath that is so yummy!

lavender is also a favorite.. its so calming and relaxing. i use it a lot..

today i noticed that smell that happens in autumn. the sweet smell of leaves and plants starting to decay.. it is so earthy.. i love the smell of autumn. i especially love when its crisp and cool but bright and that smell is in the air..its still summer here, but its quickly becoming autumn.. my favorite time of year!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 06:14 PM

I hear you about the first trimester, thing -- I ordered an awesome pachouli lotion that normally I would have loved because it had the reall heavy sent of the real oil, quite strong for a lotion but it was too much for me.

The ones I like the best now are ylang ylang and neroli when DH massages me. He got those for me for my B-day in June.
#4 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 08:54 PM

Pumpkin spice and orange pekoe tea candles are my absolute favorite. Mmmm, heavenly!!

Quote:
i love the smell of autumn.
Ohhh, me too! The leaves, the earth, wood fires...yes. I fall and all of the related smells.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#5 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 11:20 PM

The first few months, certain smells were guaranteed to make me feel wretched- any synthetic fragrance, patchouli essential oil in any shape, size or form, peppermint (I hate it anyway) coconut (ditto) and very sweet florals- work brought out some new products at that point that were honey and jasmine-scented and just turned my stomach completely. Ylang-ylang, as well, I just find far too heavy- jasmine I can only tolerate if it's blended properly.
Now, I'm feeling much much better. I love geranium, bergamot, lemongrass, either by itself or mixed with rose, rose with fruity smells, a blend (my favourite moisturiser is made with fresh mangoes, lemon oil, rose oil and frankincense and frankly, I want to eat it. It doesn't taste good though) and in particular this stuff:
http://www.lush.co.uk/pages/Sweetie_...ower_Jelly.htm
Which is weird, because normally sweet smells do NOTHING for me, but I really am craving it. The factory made me up a mini batch of the massage bars with the same fragrance as well to use on my bump when my manager told them about it, which I thought was just amazingly sweet (sorry for the pun.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#6 of 12 Old 09-01-2005, 11:57 PM

This is an interesting thread, because a number of years ago I had to do a paper for a nutrition class and I chose to do it on pica in pregnancy. (craving to eat non-food substances.) In one of the major articles I read (from Midwifery Today maybe? I don't remember!) while researching pica the author also sort of identified what she named, "Olfactory Craving of Pregnancy." Which, basically, is having really intense cravings to smell certain things while pregnant. While asking women about cravings, she discovered that some women don't crave to EAT weird things but will crave smelling certain things--like cleaning the bathroom all the time b/c of liking the smell of the cleanser, or liking the smell of gasoline, or using a certain air freshener a bazillion times a day.

I can't think of anything I'm really craving to smell more than the things I usually like smelling when not pregnant, though.
#7 of 12 Old 09-02-2005, 10:43 AM

*lemon balm--I planted some this year and just like to pinch off the leaves and smell it while sitting out on the back porch
*fresh basil
*vanilla
*cinnamon

and related to what Kavita said--you know that icky smell of all the commercial cleaning products combined when you walk down that aisle in the grocery store? Usually it gives me a headache and I can't go anywhere near it. The other day though, it actually smelled good to me! Bizarre.
#8 of 12 Old 09-02-2005, 12:20 PM

I haven't really been craving the smell of anything, but there are far more smells that just disgust me at the moment then there normally are. The worst is the smell of BO there are times when even after putting on deoderant I can't lift my arms at the end of the day or I turn green. The really bad thing is dh has had a couple days when they were putting in windows recently so he was outside and I couldn't get near him until he cleaned up. I have very purposefully been walking down certain aisles when I go shopping lately to smell seasonal things. That is something I do every year though. I love fall smells and with just moving to FL I am having a hard time feeling like it is almost fall. I was so happy the other day just walking past an aisles and smelling some cinamon sticks. I honestly could have stood there sniffing them for a half hour :LOL

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
#9 of 12 Old 09-02-2005, 02:45 PM

I'm enjoying the change in the smell of the air, too...

Bath and Body Works Lemon Body Cream... I'm addicted to it, but it's ridiculously expensive.

I've noticed that I attach to a particular smell/fragrance with each pregnancy and I try to keep a sample of that particular lotion, bath soak, etc. in my drawer and years later I can small it and recollect that pregnancy vividly! The smells fade after storage, though.
#10 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 08:54 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kavita
This is an interesting thread, because a number of years ago I had to do a paper for a nutrition class and I chose to do it on pica in pregnancy. (craving to eat non-food substances.) In one of the major articles I read (from Midwifery Today maybe? I don't remember!) while researching pica the author also sort of identified what she named, "Olfactory Craving of Pregnancy." Which, basically, is having really intense cravings to smell certain things while pregnant. While asking women about cravings, she discovered that some women don't crave to EAT weird things but will crave smelling certain things--like cleaning the bathroom all the time b/c of liking the smell of the cleanser, or liking the smell of gasoline, or using a certain air freshener a bazillion times a day.
The compost scent craving made me think of pica, too. I don't want to eat it, but it fits with the olfactory craving idea. And others mentioned the smell of fall- a similar earthy scent. I also love the smell of rain after the dry weather... suffocating steam from the hot sidewalks and roads and earth.

I need to "harvest" my compost in a month or so- separate out the worms and start a new batch. Sounds crazy, but I'm really looking forward to it! Any gardeners need a hand turning their composts?

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#11 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 09:01 PM

i'm having this too. both with my cocoa butter stick, and with vanilla extract. everytime i put cocoa butter on my belly it smells so incredible sweet and rich that i can hardly deal with it.....i want to take a bite out of it. and i've started putting the vanilla on the pulse points of my wrists because it smells so good........actually anything sweet smelling just makes me crazy lately.......hee hee........

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#12 of 12 Old 09-06-2005, 05:25 PM

I am addicted to my lavendar eye pillow. I put it on before bed every night and within minutes I am ready to pass out. I also love my Secret Powder Fresh deoderant. Crazy I know. It just smells so fresh and clean like a laundrymat. My mom hated it so she gave it to me. Normally I am addicted to anything Fall scented. Pumpkin is my favorite. In about a month it is going to be a Pumpkin factory over here... pumpkin muffins, pumpkin butter, pumpkin ice cream... need I go on.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page