So-so MW Appt. - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 6 Old 09-02-2005, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well...had my 28 week appointment this morning and am just feeling blah about it. This is the same mw practice I used with my first preg., and have been going to for years for regular gyn care, so I'm well familiar with them. I think b/c I am now considering homebirth, I am looking at everything with such a critical eye now- it has sort of clouded my view.

The visit was really brief, she didn't even ask if I had any questions or concerns, or if there was anything I wanted to talk about. I had the tiny thought that it wasn't much different than what I imagine an OB visit to be like. I know they are under a lot of pressure to see a lot of clients due to the current malpractice situation, so some of it I understand.

And maybe she saw we were 2nd time parents and had our toddler there with us so assumed we've BTDT and didin't have much to ask, and wanted to get in and out quickly with our son there.

And she reminded me to send in my pre-registration to the hosp. 'just in case' (standard practice) and I just thought, there is NO WAY I am going to that hosp (which I would have to if I was delivering with them and had to be transferred)! Even if I did have to go, I"d want to go to one near our house that has private rooms, not one 45 mins. away that only has double rooms and doesn't allow cosleeping and dh's to stay overnight!!

And you know, I asked again this time if she could feel around and see if she could guess where the head was, or if she could identify any body parts, and she just didn't do it- just said it's too small to feel anything- same thing the other mw did last time. Well, I can feel a lot when I press around so I would think an experienced mw could make a guess???? Just kind of wierd that they wouldn't even try to feel around for a butt or head or something if I ask!

I don't know......all the mw's have turned over in the time since I had ds, so I don't feel the loyalty to them that I had before. And now that I've had HB on the brain and am looking forward to meeting the CPM, I just feel like I don't want to use this birth center now!

Anyway...lots of thoughts swirling in my mind. I really hope things work out with the HB midwife and that dh gets on board with it b/c every day I think my heart is more and more set on it.
#2 of 6 Old 09-02-2005, 03:49 PM

Quote:
said it's too small to feel anything-
That's ridiculous. I just had my MW appointment this week and I'm also 28 weeks. My MW asked me if she could feel around because she wanted to find out where the baby was, and she could definitely feel that she is head-down. I already knew this from my secret ultrasound last week, but she could definitely feel the head and the back.

It really does sound like you are getting the typical OB treatment; not what I'd expect from a midwife.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#3 of 6 Old 09-02-2005, 04:00 PM

Yeah, my mw could feel the baby's head by 27 weeks, and at 30 weeks she could tell exactly the position of the baby.
I think the mw should at least try to feel the baby before saying that the baby's too small. :
#4 of 6 Old 09-02-2005, 05:31 PM

Sorry that it didn't go well. I can relate! I saw a different mw this past visit & she put all kinds of strange fears into me about anemia, and the size of my ueterus ( I am measuring a week small, but always have been, and did my whole preg. with my 1st dd) Anyways, it is no fun to have them bring up more questions and discourage you! Things will work out just the way they are supposed to for you & you'll do great!
#5 of 6 Old 09-02-2005, 05:50 PM

I had my 28 week appt on Monday and she could definitely feel where he was...she even held him still to get his heartrate. He has a tendency to wiggle away.

I had the same thing happen at the 1st midwife practice I went to in my 1st pg. The midwife I was supposed to see wanted me to have an u/s b/c she was watching an ovarian cyst I had pre-pregnancy, but when I got there she was unavailable and I had to see another midwife. I had to demand that they do it (I wasn't going to have sat around needing to pee that bad for nothing!) It was a Friday afternoon, the u/s tech was ticked and she wouldn't even try to look to see if she could tell the sex of the baby (even though I was right at 20 weeks). I just can't see wasting time with practioners who don't have time for me.

I switched providers soon after. Best of luck with the CPM...it really sounds like you want more than what you are getting from this practice.

Christa
#6 of 6 Old 09-03-2005, 01:54 AM
Banned

Oh, she could feel the baby... what a lazy response.

Don't feel loyalty, you owe them nothing. If you are unhappy - you are unhappy.l And if you don't want to risk birthing in that hospital in case of emergency transfer - time to shop around before it gets too late.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page