So I went to the park today.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 10 Old 09-03-2005, 12:44 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After going to the farmer's market in town this morning I took Willem to the little park and we slid down the slides and laughed making lots of noise and enjoying the sunshine. There was this woman there holding a tiny baby so naturally we got to talking. The baby girl was a month old and the mom looked literally like she was a size 4, skinny and tall. I never would have guessed that she still wasn't through her postpartum period yet. And then she commented on how I was getting close and asked my due date. So I told her end of October and she just looked at me and said, "oh, I thought you only had a couple weeks left."

Nice. Am I really THAT big??? Granted I was wearing a tight spaghetti strap tank that really left nothing to the imagination as to the size and shape of my protruding (and beautiful might I add) belly, but still... do I really look like I'm about to deliver???

Geez I still have at least 8 more weeks to go... and that's major growing time for the babe.
#2 of 10 Old 09-03-2005, 02:32 PM

I've had a couple of comments like that recently, too. I'm getting such big belly on an otherwise small frame that people assume I must be due very soon.

You know, I think people are just used to seeing the "Hollywood" version of pregnancy...a cute 6 or 7 month belly, nothing too big, no stretch marks! When people say to me, "Wow, you're really big", I've been responding, "Yes, my body really gets into being pregnant", or "Yes, I'm growing a very happy baby in there". I wish people would remember that pregnant bodies come in many shapes and sizes, as do all women's bodies!
#3 of 10 Old 09-04-2005, 09:14 AM

I haven't really had tons of comments about my size, but have been noticing how easy it is to get helped these days! Salespeople come and offer to give me a hand, I get seated quickly in restaurants and yesterday a woman in a bathroom line up offered to let me go to the head of the line. Some of the advantages of looking big, I guess...people want you to get what you need and get out of their store/restaurant/whatever, so that you don't deliver your baby in their establishment :LOL

And I totally agree about the hollywood tiny bellies- people's conceptions of what a pregnant woman should look like is much smaller than most people in reality.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#4 of 10 Old 09-04-2005, 09:25 AM

The other day at the craft store a woman asked when I was due and when I told her 11/28 she shook her head and said that I wouldn't make it that far. Um, HEllo? Do I even know you lady? I just joked and said that I was going to hold her responsible then if I did and got out of there. Weird. And I don't think I look that huge either. And then another woman (mother of dd's classmate) remarked how much I had grown in the 2 weeks I had last seen her. I think she meant well but I thought it was weird too. Must've been what I was wearing
#5 of 10 Old 09-04-2005, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willemsmamma
So I told her end of October and she just looked at me and said, "oh, I thought you only had a couple weeks left."

Geez. Even if you *think* that, what a thing to say to a pregnant woman! I mean, we're all dealing with our body issues anyway, some more than others- why say something that may be interpreted the least bit negatively to a pregnant woman!

And amen to pregnant bellies coming in all shapes and sizes, just like bodies in general! I guess celebs just make themselves scarce when they get all huge and stretch marked- plus they have personal trainers, chefs, stylists, free designer clothes, and someone to care for their other kids unlike the rest of us!!
#6 of 10 Old 09-04-2005, 10:52 AM

I read something (can't remember where) about celebs and others have elective C-sections at about 8 months so they could avoid that last bit of growing and streching. Anyone else heard about that? I hope it's not common?
#7 of 10 Old 09-04-2005, 11:22 AM

Yesterday, at a grocery store, this guy started talking to me and asked me when I was due. I said late October, and he's like, "Wow, I bet you have a big baby!" :LOL *I thought it was funny that a GUY said that*
#8 of 10 Old 09-04-2005, 07:40 PM

Well, I can 2nd the silly comments! At the post office the other day this lady told me that i was a good size ????What does that even mean???
On the other note, I wish people would help/move for me!!! I was at the grocery store with a flailing two & 1/2 year old kicking me while trying to push my cart & this lady turns around parks her cart sideways in the isle and stands in the other half of it to get a sample of some gross burrito ?????When I smiled ( sort of ) and said excuse me please - she goes "oh you don't mind do you I am REALLY HUNGRY" . I am absolutly amazed that i contained myself and didn't lash out with something like "lady are you kidding? and you know you really shouldn't eat that crap anyway! " ( I know, I know it wouldn't have been nice, but my hormones wanted to say it really bad!
#9 of 10 Old 09-05-2005, 06:36 AM - Thread Starter

2tolove, I lashed out a lot during my last pg and it FELT GOOD!!!

Back to the celeb thing, yeah, I've heard about that too, they get elective C sectioned like 5 weeks before their due date I think. Poor babies not getting their rightful chance to the last few weeks in the womb.

You know, a lot of people say that society recently started to be more accepting of the pregnant woman's body especially after Demi Moore posed nude and pg for that magazine... But yet I feel that it just gave people an unrealistic view (I mean, come on, who REALLY looks like that just before they give birth???)

I must say that this time around I really don't care what other people think... I guess I'm just starting the "I feel huge" stage.
#10 of 10 Old 09-05-2005, 07:27 AM

I've had a lot of positive comments- I'm moderately huge, (by everyone else's standards- by mine I'm tiny) and a lot of people are commenting on how right I'm looking, or how gorgeous my bump is. It's really weird...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page