Need a source for an energy boost.. - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 12 Old 09-03-2005, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
...that doesn't rely on chocolate, soda or caffeine (sigh) I've started really feeling low energy these days - can't pull myself off the couch kind of low. I *feel* how heavy I've become and god forbid I find myself on the floor playing with DD cuz it's a ton of work just to get back up again. I've resorted to ingesting bad things when I need to get a quick boost of energy to go to the grocery, or attend to DD (who's getting heavier...) but all that seems to work are the bad things...

Any suggestions?

Dee
#2 of 12 Old 09-03-2005, 10:19 PM

are you getting enuff B vitamins?

im having some really tired, low energy days.. i think baby is growing a lot and quickly, so you cant really blame yourself for feeling tired. i also find eating enuff protein helps.. ive been drinking protein powder in milk daily for a boost of energy...

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 01:00 AM

If you're not opposed dairy, a glass of skim milk has a decent amount of protein and you can put a little chocolate in it without adding too much sugar or caffeine if you have a sweet tooth. I drink a lot of skim milk because its a great fat-free-high-protein snack, and I find that protein helps me the most when I'm dragging. Otherwise, peanut butter in celery could be made beforehand and stored in the fridge to pull out and get a protein-boost when needed - and if you put raisons on it then you've got a little extra iron, too!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#4 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 08:58 AM

Okay- my solution does involve some chocolate... :
I've been buying "olympic mix" trail mix- mixed nuts (cashews, almonds and peanuts) and raisins and smarties. It's nice for a quick boost, because there is that little bit of quick sugar from the chocolate and raisins, but also a decent amount of protein from the nuts to sustain me. The only problem I have is that the pre-mixed trail mixes are pretty salty- quite often I make my own with unsalted nuts.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#5 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 10:05 AM

The only thing that has been keeping me going is the exercise. On the mornings when I exercise, I have a lot more energy in the day to keep up with DS, and then I crash at night. :LOL Not that exercise is easy to fit in or anything....

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#6 of 12 Old 09-04-2005, 09:41 PM

smoothies -- any variation on:

plain yogurt (whole, low fat)
banana
other frozen or fresh fruit
raw egg
honey
a great place to sneak in supplements you might be trying to take (spirulina, probiotics, is what I do)

They are really quick to make and you can eat them on the go in a travel mug. You do have to clean the blender when you get back but if you leave it soaking in water it's OK

I know QofC's celery suggestion as "ants on a log" and it is good!
#7 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 11:36 AM

Cocoa- milk, cocoa powder (couple of teaspoonfuls) and sugar or sweetener to taste. Lots of protein, a little bit of iron and a tiny bit of crap (unless, of course, you add a couple of marshmallows...)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#8 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 07:36 PM
bec

I haven't been on for a while, but am due November 30th.

I've been having big time energy issues this pregnancy, and the thing that has helped me the most has been to add a bunch of dark, leafy greens to my diet. I've been having salads every day with red leaf lettuce, kale, chard, mustard greens, etc. They've been really yummy as well as giving me the vitamin A and iron boost that I have seemed to need!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#9 of 12 Old 09-05-2005, 08:32 PM - Thread Starter

Thank you for the awesome ideas (and keep 'em coming!)

...a little bit of crap isn't bad
#10 of 12 Old 09-06-2005, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by plagio
smoothies -- any variation on:

plain yogurt (whole, low fat)
banana
other frozen or fresh fruit
raw egg
honey
a great place to sneak in supplements you might be trying to take (spirulina, probiotics, is what I do)

They are really quick to make and you can eat them on the go in a travel mug. You do have to clean the blender when you get back but if you leave it soaking in water it's OK

I know QofC's celery suggestion as "ants on a log" and it is good!

Yeah, I totally agree on the smoothie thing this summer. Adding peanut butter with banana is yummy, too! It's a great way to get fresh or frozen fruits in your system plus it doesn't have to be a full meal, just enough to tide me over.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#11 of 12 Old 09-06-2005, 02:29 AM

I was so droopy and weak and tired until my peri put me on super iron. My two little twins are depleting me of my iron stores.

I was so bad that my heart was literally beating out of my chest. BUT, thanks to self dx and then confirm by peri and a month of nasty gut wrenching iron pills, I'm feeling tons better.

May be why I'm nesting all of a sudden with a case of insomnia

ANyway, eat iron rich foods - dried apricots are a great source, as is meat if you eat meat, green leafy's and so on.

Good luck! I can't imagine feeling how I felt and having to care for another kid too. You are the woman!!!!

Hugs!
#12 of 12 Old 09-06-2005, 04:48 PM

I have been exhausted too. My advice is peanuts, spinach, and this stuff called Kyo-Green (www.kyo-green.com). I am slightly anemic too. I agree with adding extra Iron and Protein. And a nap couldn't hurt either! Good luck!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page