baby positions - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 09-20-2005, 03:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
How are everyone's babies positioned at this point? Mine was head up last week when I was at the midwives. This past weekend, it moved *ACK* transverse, and honestly I looked like one of those cartoons that swallowed a whole cucumber and it got stuck in it's neck! That was soooo painful -- uterus went into spasm for about 10 hours. I finally was able to move the babe by pushing on it in the bathtub, but was sore for another 24 hours. Anyway, I'm not sure of the position now.... i'm pretty sure it's posterior cuz i feel all the movement up front, but i don't know head up vs down. I guess I'm just wondering if your babes have settled themselves nicely into a LOA oreintation, or if they are still moving around, or in some other position.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-20-2005, 03:33 PM

Annabelle is head down, tushie up, feet movement is felt on my right side/rib area, hand movement is felt way down low between my belly button and my cervix.

I had a big fear that Annabelle wouldn't know how to get "head down", so I have been talking to her the whole pregnancy about being head down, and "showing" me that she can do it. She has been mainly head down for weeks now.

I'm a happy mama because of it!

What a great question.
Old 09-20-2005, 03:37 PM

Head down, posterior.... working on not being posterior anymore

33 weeks today!

love and peace.

mama to two girls and due in November!
: Circumcision can never be undone :
Old 09-20-2005, 03:55 PM
kel

I'm 34 weeks and babe has been head down for the past few weeks. I think she's there to stay. I get similiar movement to Sonja - kicks and bottom up high on my right side, hand jabs down low toward my cervix.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

Old 09-20-2005, 03:57 PM

My baby's also posterior... 34 weeks now
Old 09-20-2005, 04:09 PM

Brynn is head down (since around week 27-28) and usually lies with her back to the right of my belly button, but she is really active so that changes almost daily. I swear when I woke up yesterday she was transverse and it was SO uncomfortable - dancingmama, I felt just like you and told DH I feel like one of those cartoon characters who has swallowed a whole bone, and you can see the bone sticking out the sides of his neck! She finally flipped herself back over though, and she's head down again thank God!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 09-20-2005, 04:25 PM

Gavin has been head down facing my back for two weeks now ACK hes ready to go

32 weeks here
Old 09-20-2005, 04:45 PM

I'm like SonjaW -- I think it's LOA based on the spinning babies website. I also feel some movement (legs) up top and on my left, though not as much as before. It feels like space gets significantly more cramped each day.

Great thread -- I am so into baby position. This is one of those suprises of pregnancy for me -- I had no idea one could distinguish body parts the way we can. Very cool. I am trying to be "good" with my posture so that the babe stays in this position. I was born posterior (never flipped) and my sister flipped at the very end of a very long and tough labor for my mom, so I have been somewhat paranoid about posterior babies. I hear they can switch up to the last minute and of course during labor (in that case I would hope it would be a change to a better position . .)
Old 09-20-2005, 04:53 PM

I thought my babe was head-up, but today at my appt, the MW palpated and thinks it feels more like a butt up on top. And the head was down low on the left side, but not right in line with my pelvis. I can definitely feel a back along my left side and pretty much always have - my left side of my uterus has always felt bulgier and larger. All kicks have been down low - between my cervix and belly button. So my guess is that the babe has his/her legs out straight and is kicking downwards. I have not felt anything under my ribs or any kicks up high.

My MW said that with 2/+ time mamas, there is so much more room and the babe is not so cramped. I don't feel cramped at all. I am pretty long torso-ed so I guess the babe has a lot of room.

Now that I don't have to worry about breech anymore, I can really concentrate on my spinningbabies stuff. Good posture, ladies! No slouching! No recliners!

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 09-20-2005, 05:11 PM

baby has been mostly head down, but last night i felt hiccups right against my ribs, not down on my cirvix or pubic bone where i usually do. i think baby is still easily flipping around thugh, so im not really worried.. i carried my son head down, posterior for the last few weeks and then he got into the right possition sometimes in early labour. ive never really been worried about having a breech baby, though i guess its something to think about..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

Old 09-20-2005, 06:27 PM

My baby was head down at the 28 week appt, and head up last wed. at the 32 week appt. S/he is still currently breech or transverse, depending on her/his mood, I guess. I have been doing all sorts of breech tilts and talking and visualizing the baby move, and started some accupuncture today. I am not totally stressed about it because it is still somewhat early, but my mw said breeches often come early, so I am trying to get the babe to move now so we don't have to do a manual version. My next effort will be the headstands in the pool, if necessary.

I'm glad to hear so many other mamas are enjoying their head down babies! I really miss it; with dd, I felt all her kicks on the left side, and with this dc, I don't so much feel kicks as I feel huge head movement and occasional arms. The feet seem to move low and deep inside me and I don't feel it as strongly. I am trying to give it plenty of time... here's to patience and having 8 more weeks to go!
Old 09-20-2005, 07:41 PM
bec

A week ago, the baby was head down. And the midwife was able to feel the butt sticking out, so that means the baby is anterior! Emily was posterior and it was such a tough labor because of it! So, I'm really hoping this baby doesn't do any gymnastics!

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:22 PM

I'm still waiting to be able to tell on my own. I in the reverse situation as plagio, I thought I'd be able to tell what's what, and I really almost never have a clue.

At last appointment, baby was head down, but we didn't get into anterior/posterior.

Feathers,
I am pretty sure that mine turned head down after sommersaults in the pool. Now I am just trying to keep from doing all the stuff I worked hard at doing to get babe to turn.
Old 09-20-2005, 08:24 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
My baby's head down also & has been for a few weeks. My MW doesn't think it's going to turn because she thinks it feels sooooo long that there's not much room for turning. My DP is 6'3", we think our baby's a long one. :LOL

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:40 PM
Banned

I have no earthly clue how you ladies know where your babies are... and in such detail
Old 09-20-2005, 08:42 PM
bec

Well, the midwife told me that the head was down. I would have had no idea, otherwise! And she told me she could feel the butt. That pretty much means that the baby has to have the back facing out, so it's anterior! I never would have known if the midwife hadn't told me what parts were where, though! :LOL

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
Old 09-20-2005, 09:30 PM

I have my appt tomorrow, so I will ask. I'm pretty sure we are "locked and loaded" at this point though. The movements have slowed down a lot and the hiccups I feel are LOW in my pelvis.

I feel most of the wiggles and squirms on my left side and I'm pretty sure it's a back/butt I feel. With the feet getting me over on the right side under my boob.

I am able to breathe much more easily and eating a cracker doesn't make me feel like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner. : Of course, now I'm getting the wicked cervical pains, peeing a lot more and my waddle is simply out of control. I can't walk quickly at all. I have quite a few contractions a day too. Which I love because I can practice relaxing my abdominal muscles and visualizing the opening of my cervix.

I can't believe we are almost there!!!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:22 PM

My son is head down. As far as the position I don't know. I know that his feet are right under my ribs and they have been there for weeks. Dr told me he was head down on my 28wk visit. Hope yours turn if it hasn't already :-)
Old 09-20-2005, 10:26 PM

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma
I am able to breathe much more easily and eating a cracker doesn't make me feel like I just ate Thanksgiving dinner. : Of course, now I'm getting the wicked cervical pains, peeing a lot more and my waddle is simply out of control. I can't walk quickly at all. I have quite a few contractions a day too. Which I love because I can practice relaxing my abdominal muscles and visualizing the opening of my cervix.

I can't believe we are almost there!!!
Hee, hee, the other day, after DP giggled at my waddle for the 40squillionth time, I tried REALLY hard to walk perfectly normally, like upright, quick, no waddle whatsoever, & for the life of me, I couldn't do it. :LOL

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
Old 09-20-2005, 10:48 PM

In this past week my baby has taken to spinning herself, in whatever direction she pleases. Today I feel hiccups slightly lower and to the right of my belly button, and what might be a butt above and to the left of my belly button, and lots of movement even farther up than what I'm *guessing* is the butt. But there are pokes and jabs and squirms all over, really, and these massive shifts that seem to be her way of stretching the uterus into the roomiest place possible. I haven't had any pain, though, just really weird and surprising sensations when she's moving.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
I have no earthly clue how you ladies know where your babies are... and in such detail
Ok, I'm glad someone else said it, too! I feel left out I have no idea! And every time I went to appointments the mw's sort of sweetly refused to even feel around or make a guess! Really weird. Now that we will probably be using a different mw and I'm further along hopefully she can give me an idea of where this babe is!

I really can't differentiate any body parts. I feel very sharp parts pushing out on either side of my belly button and towards the sides, and sometimes it feels like feet are prying my right ribs upward! I am happy that when I feel hiccups they are down low! It doesn't feel like a head is down low, but I never felt that with ds either and he was head down they whole time.
Old 09-20-2005, 11:57 PM

Quote:
This site really helps - its called belly mapping. You basically take a few things into consideration - head or butt (which a provider can tell you from palpating), where they heard the heartbeat, whether you feel a back along one side and where your kicks are. You basically put it all together and it gives you a pretty good feel for how your babe is laying at that moment.

My MW said that heads and butts feel similar, but when you can grab hold of one, they act different. I can't tell personally, since I swore that bump at top was a head. My confusion right now lies with the fact that all my kicks are down low and I have an obvious back along the left side, which doesnt match up with any of the belly mapping pics. Unless I have a baby with freakishly long legs.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom
This site really helps - its called belly mapping. You basically take a few things into consideration - head or butt (which a provider can tell you from palpating), where they heard the heartbeat, whether you feel a back along one side and where your kicks are. You basically put it all together and it gives you a pretty good feel for how your babe is laying at that moment.

My MW said that heads and butts feel similar, but when you can grab hold of one, they act different. I can't tell personally, since I swore that bump at top was a head. My confusion right now lies with the fact that all my kicks are down low and I have an obvious back along the left side, which doesnt match up with any of the belly mapping pics. Unless I have a baby with freakishly long legs.
I feel a round object top and bottom - and can't tell which is the head and which is the butt :LOL How do they react when touched?

Thanks for the link btw! I feel kicks high AND low and can't tell which is hand jabs and which is foot jabs and which is elbow jabs and what is knee jabs... she's a regular octopus!

Iam going to try to fall back asleep now... will check out site tomorrow!
Old 09-21-2005, 09:58 AM

Head down and posterior here. Working on moving to anterior! Honestly, though, this baby flips around so much during the course of a day that I'm not sure where s/he'll end up.
Old 09-21-2005, 10:52 AM

Quote:
I feel a round object top and bottom - and can't tell which is the head and which is the butt :LOL How do they react when touched?

Thanks for the link btw! I feel kicks high AND low and can't tell which is hand jabs and which is foot jabs and which is elbow jabs and what is knee jabs... she's a regular octopus!

Iam going to try to fall back asleep now... will check out site tomorrow!
The way to tell is to have someone listen for the heartbeat -- if it's down low that that's the head down there. Also, I feel hiccups down there, so that clued me in.
Old 09-21-2005, 11:03 AM

Baby is trasverse and high. He is laying right under my ribs so he can kick and punch all over the place. We actually heard his heartbeat almost in my ribs on the right side yesterday. Also since this is the direction he is laying most of the time I did get a worse case scenario talk yesterday about c-sections! For now we are just hoping he moves around to head down. Anyone know a good way to get a very comfortable transverse baby to move head down?

Kristina mom to A 1/12 J 11/05 D 4/08 and tiny dude in late April 2010
Old 09-21-2005, 11:24 AM

My little lady is head-down and anterior-ish. She actually lays on either side, which is supposed to be good for getting her back against my belly button during labor.

She usually lays against my left side, with her butt on my upper left, her solid little back along the left side. Then I feel all her hand movements against my right hip bone. It's pretty funny.
Old 09-21-2005, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, good news! The baby is now head down. It turns out when I pushed what I thought was the head down out of transverse in the tub, I was right!

Mrs. Moe, if you kind of hold onto the head and wobble it side to side, it kind of wobbles like a head would. But if you do the same to the butt, it doesn't feel as "loose." That's one of the things my midwives do, and that is the way i figured out which side to push down when it went transverse.

kristina, I got into a deep whirlpool tub so the babe would kind of float, and then just gently and persistantly pushed the head down and the butt up. It worked. And with my first dd, she was mostly posterior when i went into labor, and i was able to lie on my side, find her butt on the right and toward my back, and push it anterior. when she got anterior, that's when active labor started. So I guess i have some luck with pushing them! Of course, I never force anything, just encourage
Old 09-21-2005, 02:48 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, good news! The baby is now head down -- just saw the midwives to check. It turns out when I pushed what I thought was the head down out of transverse in the tub, I was right!

Mrs. Moe, if you kind of hold onto the head and wobble it side to side, it kind of wobbles like a head would. But if you do the same to the butt, it doesn't feel as "loose." That's one of the things my midwives do, and that is the way i figured out which side to push down when it went transverse.

kristina, I got into a deep whirlpool tub so the babe would kind of float, and then just gently and persistantly pushed the head down and the butt up. It worked. And with my first dd, she was mostly posterior when i went into labor, and i was able to lie on my side, find her butt on the right and toward my back, and push it anterior. when she got anterior, that's when active labor started. So I guess i have some luck with pushing them! Of course, I never force anything, just encourage
Old 09-21-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancingmama
This past weekend, it moved *ACK* transverse, and honestly I looked like one of those cartoons that swallowed a whole cucumber and it got stuck in it's neck!
Ha! This is EXACTLY the position my baby has been in for the entire pregnancy! Occasionally, the baby will shift so its a little more diagonal with the head down lower, but the last few days especially I've had little feet poking out my side coninually. Its sooo uncomfortable to fall asleep with the little feet pushing on my side. The cucumber image is exactly how I feel about 90% of the time! Everyone says I'm carrying higher this time, and I know its because the baby isn't head down. DS was head down the entire pregnancy, though he was still diagonally across my belly - but the head was low. This time the entire baby is still above my hips, I swear.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.

User Tag List