What do I need? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 24 Old 09-28-2005, 01:16 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
You would think that being a 2nd timer, this would be easy. But I almost think I have gone too far to the other side (as I was as a 1st timer when I *needed* everything) and feel like I dont need anything...

I *think* I need:

diapers
covers
wipes
breastpads
carseat
clothes for babe
blankets
burp clothes
lansinoh
birth kit and other supplies
postpartum pads
Slings

What else? Am I missing something here? :LOL

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#2 of 24 Old 09-28-2005, 01:33 PM

Food is the only thing I'd add. We plan to make some lasagnas and stuff like that and freeze them.
#3 of 24 Old 09-28-2005, 03:45 PM

I have been told that saline for the sniffles is a great idea to have in the house for an infant, just in case they get blocked and therefore can't nurse effectively. Other than that, the only thing I can think of is rubbing alcohol and cotton for the little belly button stump....
#4 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 01:49 PM

Possibly you've already got this stuff since this is your second, but I was told it's the little things you need more than the big stuff. Like emery boards, and your favorite remedies for dealing with diaper rash, colic, all the little stuff that comes up.

Baby wash if you use one. Hooded towels.

Arnica for postpartum recovery for you.

Self care stuff for any breast feeding things that come up-like you favorite herb tea, extra peas for engorgement.

Basically all the stuff you won't want to have to go to the drugstore or healthy food store for the first month or two after the babe is born.
#5 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 02:12 PM
Banned

Diaper bag to carry all your goodies in
Bunting bag or jacket for baby
#6 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 02:19 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
The only things that are on my list that aren't listed on yours are:

a baby keepsake album

waterproof lap pads (the bigger sized ones) for breastfeeding while lying in bed at nighttime (my baby's always seem to drool and/or I leak & then I get this big crusty breastmilk puddle on my sheet every morning)

some form of birth announcement (I haven't decided what kind yet)

diaper bag (there are gazillions on Ebay!)

and I need more nursing bras & underpants that are, um, large enough, as in not a g-string, for a pad to fit in. That was probably WAY TMI.

Oh, and I'd also like a rocking chair.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#7 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 03:00 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the ideas mamas! I picked up some Arnica today as well as a gentle baby soap. I have some diaper creme leftover from when DS was in dipes (and that I have used lately on myself for this chafing : ). I have a diaper bag and a lot of the other stuff, since it is my second.

I'm planning on getting baby announcements from www.purplestork.com, as I love them so much!

Frozen peas for engorgement! Great ideas. I knew there were a bunch of little things that I would like to have on hand.

#8 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 04:16 PM

I second the nursing bras. But how do you know what size you are before it's time?! I have no idea. I hated going out to buy one after the my last one was born.

I did find a nice nursing nightgown at the local consignment store, though. And I remembered how I lived in my nightgown for the first month...

A changing pad? And two covers for washing? We put ours on the floor and took it from room to room. I looked at the consignment store for this too but they were sorta nasty.
#9 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 04:19 PM

What is arnica, and how would I use it? Sounds like maybe an herb to use on a compress?

And the peas? Like frozen in a bag to use as an ice-pack?

I feel like a dummy not knowing what y'all are talking about! :

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#10 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 04:27 PM

if you are into this kind of thing, we always get the older child a gift from the baby and the baby a gift from the older child
#11 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 04:28 PM

I have arnica in a cream, and it's great for all sorts of aches and sprains. I'm not sure if this is the same thing that gonnabeamom is referencing...maybe the homeopathic remedy? What dosage?
#12 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

I bought the creme and the homeopathic remedy. I figure the creme will be good to have on hand with a daredevil 4yo and I will ask the MW for the right dosage of the homeopathic. I keep hearing good things about it, so I figured it was a good first step into homeopathy, something I want to learn a lot more about.

And the peas make a good, mushy compress for engorgement. When my mik came in with DS, we were back in the hospital because he needed lights for jaundice and I was so sore! The nurse made me an ice pack by putting ice cubes in a rubber glove. So I had two cold rubber "hands" on my breasts. lol

#13 of 24 Old 09-30-2005, 07:56 PM

I love this list and thread. The simplicity makes me sooo happy . And I'm humming that song from my childhood (can't remember who sang it)
All I really need is a song in my heart, food in my belly, love in my family. (Plus maybe a carseat and some more diapers...)

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#14 of 24 Old 10-01-2005, 01:17 AM

I am with you on the simplicity thing. I am a first timer and I have not really bought (or asked for) many things. Maybe I am being naive but I feel like as long as I have Love in my heart and a little patience, all the rest of my "needs" will be met. I am fighting off all my impulses to over plan for everything. It's hard when you're excited!
#15 of 24 Old 10-01-2005, 06:14 PM

I'm right there with you on the minimalist approach. I think it's making my Mom go nuts, though! And there are SO MANY products out there now days that, in my opinion, are just silly. (Sorry if I offend anyone in that statement!) I mean, come on, diaper wipe warmers? LOL I'm always amazed at what people are made to think the NEED.
#16 of 24 Old 10-01-2005, 08:10 PM

On the arnica, my midwives recommend 200C. And yes I meant the homeopathic tablets not the cream form although that's also good to have around. Arnica is good for reducing swelling and trauma.

I am torn between the minimalist desire to not buy or have other people buy things I won't wind up using and the desire as a first time mama to not have to go out and buy anything for the first three months. I generally don't like to shop and can't imagine it gets more fun with babe along.
#17 of 24 Old 10-01-2005, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonnabeamom
I am torn between the minimalist desire to not buy or have other people buy things I won't wind up using and the desire as a first time mama to not have to go out and buy anything for the first three months. I generally don't like to shop and can't imagine it gets more fun with babe along.
We did the minimalist thing the first time around, and we were really happy with the results...i.e. lack of extra crap!!! Seeing as this child doesn't even have his own room (no nursery), I don't want it all over my room. Ben's mom's list sounds about right to me.

And you know, if you break down and decide you DO want to go all out and get all sorts of stuff, then there is always consignment store and goodwill shopping. I did buy a bouncy chair as a place to put the babe while I shower. And then I can not feel bad about sending it right back out into the universe whe I'm done with it, and make money back on it.
#18 of 24 Old 10-02-2005, 12:04 AM

My SIL is a VERY mainstream mother to my 17mo nephew. Four people had baby showers for her...WOW! I am lucky enough to see all of the USELESS things that are sitting around unused at their house and VERY fortunate to have 95% of the useful things passed down to me... Said and done, the only thing I'm REALLY needing to buy after the extremely gently used hand-me-downs and my showers is a sling or a pouch. That's one thing I'm having a tough time deciding on!!!
#19 of 24 Old 10-03-2005, 04:07 AM

I just discovered a used/consignment kids store two blocks from our new house! So if I really missed an essential, I know where I can pick it up. When I checked it out last week, they had several slings and carriers, and even a small stash of cloth diapers. Plus tons of clothes and all of the gadgets (swings, monitors, etc.). At least it's a short trip and not to the mall if I need to go shopping with a newborn.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#20 of 24 Old 10-04-2005, 12:26 PM

i would only add a stash of cloth diapers or towels for wiping up - well, everything! i always liked to have a couple decent ones for guests' shoulders!
i'm going to be ec'ing, i think, so i'm going to pick up a spray bottle for soap+vinegar+essential oil when things get wet.

also i think we need a nightlight, for all those baby changings - at least at first.

i'm making a wool changing pad, i was thinking i'd just throw a receiving blanket on top that i can wash easily.

happy preparing!
#21 of 24 Old 10-05-2005, 12:39 AM

ooh... a little night light would be really useful. DH can sleep with every light in the house on (!) but I would like to have a softer light for those late night changes. Once my eyes get undilated, I am a w a k e !
#22 of 24 Old 10-05-2005, 01:31 AM

I'm with Amy on this post, I know I'm stupid, but what is Arnica?

Also, while we are at it.... What homeopathic oils do you grad moms recommend? I was at Whole Foods searching the essential oil aisle for Apricot and Tea Tree oil and I saw all these kid concoctions. Not sure if they are harmful/ok for newborn use.

#23 of 24 Old 10-25-2005, 09:47 PM

bump

I'd also like to know about arnica.

Oh, we got dimmer lights for nursery and our room and I'm loving them already!

Amy
#24 of 24 Old 10-26-2005, 01:23 PM

I would get some afterease herb for your after pain & sitz bath if you want that too.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page