Birthing Plans for Hospital... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 5 Old 10-04-2005, 01:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hey Mama's - I know this was done a while back, but I thought now that we are getting closer the more organized gals of the group ( unlike me ) could share there birth plan for the hospital. My brain isn't working very well & I could really use the guidance . I know that this is my second one, but when I looked at the list of what we need posted further down there were like 5 things that I had totally forgotten about

SOOOO Anyone that is done with theirs....you wanna share ?
#2 of 5 Old 10-04-2005, 02:40 AM
Banned

I worked on mine with my doula - it took us some going back and forth to get tweaked just so. You have to be careful to word it in a way that won't offend the hospital or the nursing staff - for fear they will view you as a difficult patient (and if they do - they can make things VERY stressful,) but still write it so that your wishes are clearly expressed firmly.

Since we are forced to have a hospital birth (cannot get midwife or use a birth center as I am considered "high risk") like you, we wanted to make sure I had a really good birth plan in place.

I truly feel our Dr. is AMAZING. He never does vaginal exams, he said the 3 hour glucose is uncessary since my urine and blood work was fine, doesn't run any other silly tests, even with my mitral valve/regurgitation (heart) he isn't forcing me to take IV antibiotics (he says they aren't neccesary unless I have major surgery - whereas even whenI go to the dentist I am forced to take strong doses of antibiotics,) and he reccomends suppliments for preventative care. So our birth plan was written with the hospital in mind VS the Dr. You may wish to do yours differently or have a special Dr. version if you feel your Dr. may give you trouble.

Here is our Birth plan.

Amanda Xxxxxx's Birth Plan
Mother: Amanda Xxxxxx Husband/Father: Tim Xxxxxxx
Doula: Robyn Xxxxxxxx Due Date: 11/10/05
OBGYN: Dr. Rxxx Xxxxxxx Hospital: St. Joseph Hospital

We are pleased to be birthing at St. Joseph Hospital with Dr. Xxxxxx. We respect the hospital’s WHO designation as one of the very few hospitals to bear the mark of the “Baby Friendly Hospital Initiative,” and are also very happy to have Dr. Xxxxxx as our Practitioner.

This birth plan is intended to express the preference and desires we have for the birth of our baby. We request that you will be able to keep us informed and aware of our options and choices before any medical interventions, as we are aware that at times medical issues do arise and childbirth is not predictable. Our wishes and desires are the following:

Labor:
*Peace, quiet, relaxation techniques, dark room, plenty of water, etc.
*Would prefer to keep vaginal exams to a bare minimum.
*Choice of position and maintaining my mobility (walking, bathroom, jacuzzi, etc)
*Intermittent Monitoring (OGC Standards).
*Please do not offer me pain medications, I will ask for them if I want them.
*I prefer to labor in water (Shower/Jacuzzi tub).

Augmentation:
*I would prefer to walk or use other natural methods to speed labor.
*I do not want any Pitocin before, during or after labor.
*I am willing to have my waters broken if necessary, but only as a last resort if there is medical need.

Birth:
*I want the birth to allow a choice of birthing positions.
*Natural pushing – non-directed unless there is a medical need or concern.
*No episiotomy. I prefer to tear.
*I would like a mirror if possible to see the birth of my baby.

Baby Care:
*I want to hold baby immediately after birth (do not care about baby being cleaned.) The assessment of baby can be done while my husband or I are holding the baby; we do not want the baby to be placed on a warmer.
*Immediate breastfeeding after delivery.
*We do not consent to any eye medication, drops or ointment (will sign waiver.)
*No separation of Mother & Baby. If baby or I have a medical need Father is to stay with baby & Doula is to stay with me.
*Breastfeeding only. If supplementation is needed for weight gain due to my breast reduction, we want to use a finger feeding device vs bottle. Mother or Father will feed any and all supplementation/formula to baby.

Summary:
*Natural, drug free, intervention free with lots of mobility.
*I want to be in control of my personal childbirth and my body.
*Please ask for my consent (or my husband’s if I’m incapacitated) before any medical intervention that is taken with me or baby.

We decided to exclude circumcision and immunizations in our final birth plan as they are NOT done in Canada (vs American hospitals.) We would actually need to request circumcision (we are having a girl anyhow) and Hep B isn't given to children in infancy - let alone after birth vs US - where Hep B is given at birth. We also do not mind the Vit K shot (we feel benefits - preventative for bleeding on the brain - outweigh any minute risks.) Being that the Vit K shot is after all a vitamin, it simply doesn't bother us.
#3 of 5 Old 10-04-2005, 12:32 PM

I put together a very similar, very thourough birth plan using the checklist/format on www.birthplan.com . I went over everything with my midwife and with the nurse/midwife who interviewed me at the hospital's alternative birthing center where I'm delivering. All three of us were very pleased with the plan, it was very specific about my needs/desires without coming across as too pushy.
#4 of 5 Old 10-05-2005, 12:49 AM

Just a hint - personalize your birthplan by typing it out yourself and including your names (ex: rooming-in of the baby during our entire stay at the hospital, baby not to be separated from Jen and David at any time). Don't just print one off of a website with the things you want checked because it will not be as respected by the hospital staff that read it. I had a friend who took newborn pics at a hospital and she said the nurses just laughed when people handed them those.

Mine starts off: "My husband, David, and I had a wonderful natural childbirth experience at [this hospital] in May of 2004 when our son Killian was born – THANK YOU! Our birth plan is basically the same this time, so we're expecting another beautiful natural childbirth!" and then continues on to list the things that are important to us (1) during delivery and (2) during our hospital stay. At the bottom, I also put, "I understand that any or all of the above could be compromised (with my consent) if there is a medical emergency." just above where I sign it.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#5 of 5 Old 10-05-2005, 01:50 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
Just a hint - personalize your birthplan by typing it out yourself and including your names (ex: rooming-in of the baby during our entire stay at the hospital, baby not to be separated from Jen and David at any time). Don't just print one off of a website with the things you want checked because it will not be as respected by the hospital staff that read it. I had a friend who took newborn pics at a hospital and she said the nurses just laughed when people handed them those.

Mine starts off: "My husband, David, and I had a wonderful natural childbirth experience at [this hospital] in May of 2004 when our son Killian was born – THANK YOU! Our birth plan is basically the same this time, so we're expecting another beautiful natural childbirth!" and then continues on to list the things that are important to us (1) during delivery and (2) during our hospital stay. At the bottom, I also put, "I understand that any or all of the above could be compromised (with my consent) if there is a medical emergency." just above where I sign it.

Our doula said the same thing... that is the hospitals do NOT take the internet forms seriously and to make sure I make it look like something we created.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page