Alfalfa - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 8 Old 10-12-2005, 02:28 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Just curious, is anyone else doing alfalfa instead of the vit. k shot? My mw recommends it and I got on the bandwagon late. I had wanted to to oral vit. k but alfalfa seems like a possible alternative. And it has all kinds of other benefits while pregnant and nursing as well.
#2 of 8 Old 10-12-2005, 02:34 PM

i have it mixed in my pregnancy tea.. i wonder if thats enuff..

i did go for the vit K shot for elwynn after he was born because he got kinda stuck and had to be pulled a bit.. i also have a blood/clotting disorder ( or did) and i was worried about it.. this time i dont know what im going to do.. i havnt fully decided yet.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 8 Old 10-12-2005, 02:38 PM

My midwife suggested the same thing with my DC. Both are doing great and it was also in my pregnancy tea so I didn't have that weird burping grassy taste that has been known to occur.
#4 of 8 Old 10-12-2005, 03:07 PM

I only know of its benefits for breastfeeding.
#5 of 8 Old 10-12-2005, 03:43 PM

I have been taking Alfalfa Tea every once in awhile. Probably not as often as I should. But I read in Susan Weed's book that it will increase the available vitamin K and hemoglobin in the blood. I guess I better go make a cup!
#6 of 8 Old 10-13-2005, 11:48 AM

I just had my 35 week visist a few days ago, and my mw convinced me to get on the alfalfa bandwagon. I'm not a great one for pills, and she suggested I work up to 9 pills per day . There were two reasons -- one was to be able to avoid the vitamin K issue, and the other... hmm... just flew right out of my head. (How long will I be able to fall back on the pregnancy brain excuse? Is there a "new-mom brain" equivalent?)
#7 of 8 Old 10-13-2005, 02:35 PM

I am; I have also used alfalfa for this for my first two births as well.
Here's an excerpt from an alfalfa article written by midwife Lisa Goldstein:

Quote:
Many of pregnancy's discomforts are alleviated by the use of alfalfa tablets, including morning sickness, heartburn, constipation and anemia. Alfalfa tablets raise the vitamin K level of pregnant women, reducing postpartum bleeding in both quantity and duration, and they increase the vitamin K stores in newborns, reducing bleeding problems for them as well. They support success in lactation because they help increase and sustain milk supply. They frequently help alleviate nausea, almost always relieve constipation, and they bring up red blood counts in a beneficial way. They also seem to help reduce swelling and improve erratic blood sugar levels.

Because alfalfa tablets are very high in vitamin K, they could be dangerous to take for anyone who needs to be on blood thinners such as Heparin. Their use should be stopped temporarily if one gets a urinary tract infection and cut back, at least temporarily, if one gets diarrhea.

People who have very poor bowel flora may have temporary bouts of gas the first week or so when they start taking them, so they should start at a more gradual pace. I have postpartum moms take a few right after the birth to help with blood loss and bowel movements, then not take any more until the fourth or fifth postpartum day, gradually building back up to about four to eight a day depending on diet and need. They can use oat bran tablets if they need to for bowel function in the meantime. The reason for this course is twofold: the degree to which alfalfa promotes lactation can be too much for comfort until engorgement subsides, and newborn jaundice takes longer to go away if the mom is taking alfalfa tablets.

— Excerpted from "The Amazing Alfalfa," by Lisa Goldstein, CPM, CNM; in Birth Wisdom: Tricks of the Trade Vol III (a Midwifery Today book)
edited to add: conventionally-grown alfalfa is highly sprayed, so be sure to buy organic!

Kelli, radical unschooling mama to four beautiful homebirthed lovies (ages 14, 9, 5, and 19 months) 
#8 of 8 Old 10-13-2005, 11:35 PM - Thread Starter

I was happy to see that it's in the preg. tea I've been drinking all along so I"ve been getting it. Now I've started on the capsules b/c I don't think I can fit in any more tea per day! It sounds like it's a wonder herb...so many beneficial effects both during and after pregnancy! I wish I had started earlier!

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page