Peri visit today - and I think I'm next to have babies.... - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 23 Old 10-12-2005, 09:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Today was my peri visit. Can you believe I gained 9 pounds since last Tuesday? I'm swollen like a stuffed sausage. Even my toes are swollen. My face isn't too bad, but I can tell I'm carrying extra weight.

Tuesday of last week (32wks 6days), my BP was 150/100. Usually, it had been in the 110-120/60-80 range. Today's appt (34 wks) had my bp at 148/92. Lay me on my side and it went down to my low normal range of 115/70.

My feet are swollen like huge huge sausages. My legs are swollen and even my belly is swollen. It was kind of gross when they put the monitoring belts around me and they left indentions - yuck!

I have to do another 24 hour urine thing tomorrow - turn in Friday at my 2nd fetal/mommy monitoring appt this week. Then, Peri wants me back at her office on Monday. I'll be 34 wks, 5 days at the Monday appt.

In our conversation today, I got the feeling that her goal is for me to make it to Saturday of this week for me and then any time after that, she's taking my babies if it appears I'm in pregnancy induced hypertension.

My question is this. I don't have 'pre-eclampsia'. I think if I could best describe it, I'm just getting high blood pressure aka hypertension. I don't have protein in my urine - or at least not enough to warrant admitting me to the hospital.

So WHY AM I such a swollen sausage?

Also, what should I do to keep me a) out of the hospital and b) keep me from delivering earlier than my scheduled c-sec?

I asked my peri about my babies lungs and her words were "If I feel you are threatened, I'm taking the babies and they can tough it out in NICU". Well, that about broke my heart for my babies. That's terrible.

I know some of you have delivered your babies early, is 34/35 weeks too early though? I just hate the thought of having my babies in NICU for awhile

A little info about the babies from today's appts.... One is 5lbs 6 oz, the other 5lbs 3 oz. The GA appears to be about 35/36 weeks for both babies.

I do know that twin babies slow down their growth, so when will that happen? Has it started already?

Oh and last but not least. Since my last appt with peri - last Tuesday - I've gained 9 pounds.

I'm on bed rest. Prior to this, I'd been on modified bed rest, but I am now on complete bed rest. Do you think this means I can sit in my recliner, or do I need to be 'horizontal'?

Hugs everyone!!!
#2 of 23 Old 10-12-2005, 09:24 PM

Have you asked your perinatologist if she thinks you have pre-e or have risks of it going that way? You certainly have quite a few warning signs in your email...and what the doctor said would concern me.
#3 of 23 Old 10-12-2005, 09:26 PM - Thread Starter

That's what she's worried about and that's what is worrying me. I'm so not ready to deliver, because I don't want the babies to be in NICU. But it really feels like next week is when something is going to happen.

I just hope I can get this swelling down and gone.

:
#4 of 23 Old 10-12-2005, 10:44 PM

This probably isn't what you want to hear- but you have one major symptom of pre-E (the blood pressure- which by itself could be dangerous) and the water retention worries me too- it used to be one of the major signs that midwives over here looked for that something was ABOUT to go wrong. As I understand it, the fact that you only have traces of protein in your urine does NOT conclusively mean you don't have pre-E. There is bloodwork that can be done to confirm what's happening, I think.
At 34 weeks, the major problems you'd be facing would be that the babies would have insufficient body fat to keep them warm independently and that their sucking reflexes would probably not be 100% developed. Obviously, keeping them in would be better, but not at any cost.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#5 of 23 Old 10-12-2005, 11:08 PM

Er, yeah...that doesn't sound good to me either. My daughter was born at 34.5 weeks - I do think it's rough, but it would be rougher if they're suffering IUGR or if you start having seizures. The doc isn't probably trying to be mean - although that's not such a nice way to put it, how she did. But preeclampsia can cause the babies to get sick too, internally. Some babies are very well off at 34 weeks, mine just wasn't (I'd been sick for a while). I think they mean fully left-sided bedrest...I would take epsom salt baths, if you can take baths. It might help the swelling at least, but not the BP. And check out the sidelines organization (www.sidelines.org) in the next few days for things to keep your mind busy...And call your doctor if you start having headaches or feel like you're getting the flu or have bad stomach symptoms.

I know it sucks SO bad to do it this way, but it can suck a whole lot worse if you ignore signs or the doc isn't aggressive. I think once you start the symptoms (as you have) there isn't a whole lot to fix the problem other than inform yourself about warning signs (to call the doc right away for), preparing for preemies (clothes! diapers! I had none!), and really reaching out for support before, during, after the labor. Do you have a doula? A good pediatrician who can advocate for release from the NICU if necessary? These things are very helpful to have lined up.

Keep us updated! I wished that through my issue with this, I'd had a cool group of MDC women like this group! I didn't even know about MDC back then...

You can PM me if they start talking drugs with you or what exactly usually happens in the NICU, things to watch for (those nurses and their DANG formula bottles). I assume they're doing C-section, no laboring, because you're having twins. But when they start wanting to see you every couple of days, that usually means they're pretty serious about the next steps, because days - and sometimes hours - can make a huge difference in preeclampsia.

Hugs, and I'm sorry it ended up like this...
#6 of 23 Old 10-13-2005, 12:14 AM

I totally agree with what the other ladies had to say above. It appears that you are having signs of Pre-E. First comes swelling, then high BP, then the Protein, then the seizures. I had Pre-E last time (HELLP Syndrome)- no seizures. I told myself that if I got it again I would let the doctor c-section me. For the simple fact that trying to combat Pre-E and deliver a baby and then take care of a baby is just too much for your body to handle(in my opinion). I totally understand that you want to do what is best for your babies. But everything that I have read says that babies have a good survival rate if born now. You need to take care of yourself because Pre-E can take a downward spiral and fast. Those babies need you. Good luck!
#7 of 23 Old 10-13-2005, 05:21 AM
Banned

Sounds like pre-e (or development of) to me. When I first got pre-e, I had extreme body swelling and a BP raise of about 30 points, but like you, at first, I only had trace amounts of protein (that did change.) By the time I got pre-e bad, I had severe abdominal pains and BP of 210/117 - which placed me at high risk for stroke. My Dr was a complete dolt, and didn't even order me BP meds to lower the BP.

Try your best to get past that 36/37 week mark so babies don't have to go to NICU.

Tips to get BP down and STAY down - they are working for me so far. Days when my BP goes up, or I start to swell like the Stay Puffed Marshmellow Man, I do the following - I promise you - it has worked like a charm this time around:

(listed in order of what works the very best)

1. Take it easy!!! Stay OFF your feet!!! Lay down, feet up, it's the only way to go. Lay on left side - don't walk around, stay off your feet and be as lazy as possible until you deliver. Surf the Internet with your feet up, read a few good books, and rent some DVD's. I would avoid long walks, avoid standing doing dishes for long period of time, etc. See if freinds of family can help you.

2. Drink as much water as you can possibly drink, a gallon a day even. This will not make you retain more fluid, this will in fact help to flush out fluid you already have. When I retain tons of fluid, I will drink about a gallon of water in a day - and it never fails to amaze me how much water weight I loose. I will go from sausage toes to bony toes by the end of the day.

3. Stay cool. Being oerheated can contribute to BP and swelling.

4. Don't get stressed! Exercise meditation and relaxation techniques to chill out mentally and relax.

5. Eat Vit C tabs, and calcium supplements several times a day. It may be too late for supplements, but I notice a change in the way I feel when I miss taking mine.

many hugs!
#8 of 23 Old 10-13-2005, 08:31 AM

I'm sorry that you are in this position and that your dr's words came out so insensitively. Do you happen to know anything about your hospital's NICU?

Try to keep your bp down and know that you will get the best care that you need for both you and your babies. Keep us posted.

Hugs.
#9 of 23 Old 10-13-2005, 11:05 AM

I think most babies do fine at close to 35 weeks with breathing, but as someone else said, they often have trouble maintaining their temp and may have trouble sucking.

My sister was a 34 weeker, had no trouble breathing (except she had a tendency to spit up and choke, but her lungs were well developed) and kept pulling out the NG tube. My mom stayed an extra day or two and took her home with her with strict orders to breastfeed frequently and keep her warm and mom was the only one to hold her. Of course, this was in the 70's before hightech NICU's, but she did fine.

You may want to call and ask about using the recliner some. It might be a good idea to clarify how strict they want your bedrest to be.

Personally, I have decided that if I happen to go into labor too early for my homebirth (I have to be 37 weeks) that I won't go to the hospital until I'm in active labor once I reach 35 weeks (that's Monday). Before that, I will go and get steriods and see if they can slow labor (without terb), but once I hit 35 weeks I'm going to go with the least possible intervention.

Best of luck. Stay well.

Christa
#10 of 23 Old 10-14-2005, 12:19 PM - Thread Starter

Off to Antepartum Testing I go .... wish me luck that they DO NOTKEEP ME....

I've been a good girl. I've stayed horizontal. THe swelling is down in my feet, but it was down last week too when I had high bp.

So, here's hoping that there is no protein in my urine, no high bp, normal baby movement, no contractions and normal blood work. I feel like I should add and a 'partridge in a pear tree'....

Hugs to all and hopefully I'll be posting later this afternoon.
#11 of 23 Old 10-14-2005, 12:30 PM

Well, if you're getting the partridge in the pear tree, why not also the nine dancing ladies? They could be your doulas.

Good luck! I hope things go well for you, and you can keep those babies in a few weeks longer!
#12 of 23 Old 10-14-2005, 03:52 PM

I feel a little clueless with all that you are going through as this is my first babe and I haven't had any complications. I am having a hard time knowing whether or not I am even having BHX. But, I wanted to stay updated on how you are doing and send you some virtual hugs!

Hope it goes well today!

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#13 of 23 Old 10-14-2005, 07:53 PM

Good luck for all of your wish list! Can't wait to hear- I hope you're sent home after a boring visit to rest and keep the babies inside a little longer.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#14 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 12:48 AM - Thread Starter

Well, girls.... Looks like my time is coming.

Today I've been such a basket of emotions. My 24 hour urine bucket came back at .5 Nurse said anything over .3 is considered high.

My bloodwork still keeps coming back negative. So no elevated liver or platelet's yet!!

Nurse and doc released me today, but nurse told me that I'm probably being kept tomorrow. I did my best to get the latest appt I could - 2pm, because I have lots to do.

When I left, I called DH and I was fine. Then I called sister and started getting weepyish. Then, I called my mom and started crying.

I can't pinpoint what has me so emotional. Not sure if it's the fact that after 15 years of ttc - this is it. My pregnancy is coming to a close.

Or, is that what has me emotionally bent? Is it that I'm really going to miss being pregnant. I like the special attention that DH gives me and I really love having those little 'beans' kicking and moving around inside. They've just recently started doing the alien thing and I'm so going to miss that.

Then, another thing that's got me sad is the fact of the possible hospital stay. It's just not how I envisioned the perfect delivery. But, of course, whatever it takes to have healthy babies and a healthy mommy.

I'm hoping I can bring my laptop to the hospital. If not, I'll be lost without you guys. I'll have to have my sis (Momma2Emerson) post to you guys.

For some reason Oct 23 has been a date that has stuck in my mind for a couple of weeks now. So, I wonder if I've known all along that would be the date? I guess it's not really my call either. It's going to be the docs. BUT, I am going to do everything I can (including begging and pleading to Peri) to keep these babies in, until at least 36 weeks.

Well, think of me please, pray for good things and an easy delivery!!!

I also want to say again how thankful I am that I found you all! You all have been such a wonderful source of knowledge and friendship.

Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

and best of luck to you all! I'll post as soon as I can with an update.

Christy
#15 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 03:51 AM

Good luck later today- no words, really, just praying that you can find a place where you feel good emotionally about these last few difficult days of this pregnancy. I can't wait to see pictures of those twins, and I think they're really lucky to have a mama like you.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#16 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 10:01 AM

You've done such a great job of holding those twins in for as long as you have! Many twins are born much earlier and do great! I hope you can hold them in another week, maybe the medicos will be less squirmy if they have you there at the hospital to catch anything that comes up suddenly and will then you rest and hold them in longer.

Can't wait to hear your birth story and see pictures!

PS: If you do end up with the Cesarean, read the Csection Support threads here in the Birth and Beyond area. There are ways you can arrange as gentle a C-birth as possible, with your wishes respected and your babes as close to you as possible!

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#17 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 10:13 AM

You will be in my thoughts. I hope everything turns out for the best, whatever that may be.

He who can no longer pause to wonder and stand rapt in awe is as good as dead; his eyes are closed.  ~Albert Einstein
#18 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 12:32 PM

Bodogirl, if you can bring your laptop, I found that it really helped me when mine was in NICU and I was induced. To look up things that the medical staff want to do and see if you agree; to get support; to email family and send pictures (if you have a digital camera).

Good luck.
#19 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 12:58 PM

Good luck girl!!! I'm sending vibes out for those babes to make it another week. Take care of YOU!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#20 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 01:22 PM
kel

Just sending lots of hugs and relaxing energy to you. xoxo

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#21 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 01:57 PM

Good luck!!!
#22 of 23 Old 10-15-2005, 04:54 PM

My best advice on the swelling is also to drink lots of water I drink at least a gallon a day if not more.. no good for the peeing situation but very good for swelling. I had some problems with swelling with my first two and the only differnce realyl this time is i drink as much water as i can get into me. Hope all goes well.. I know the nicu is a scarey prospect. my second had to go not because of being a preemie but b/c he had severe jaundice.best wishes. hope all goes well.
#23 of 23 Old 10-16-2005, 10:48 AM

Just want to say I am thinking of you and hoping all goes well.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page