Dilated anyone? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 10:49 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
After spending the day in urgent care on Monday for n/v/d, chills, fever, swollen glands (obviously having caught my kids' flu to a more severe degree) was told I also have a nasty sinus infection (totally blocked) and pink eye. I have never been this sick.
Went to MW today and found out we're 2 cm dilated, she can feel the head and just starting to thin ...
I have two 36 weekers so I was given all of my homebirth supplies but OMG I'm so not ready for this baby to come while I'm this sick.
My MW said in her experience the babies usually do hold out until Mom is better. I can't imagine labor, birth and a newborn while I still have this flu and they're saying this darn flu is taking about TWO weeks to clear up! Ugh. I've loaded DH up on Vit C because he CANNOT get it. Cannot. Not right now.

So ladies, be forewarned ... the flu season is here so use care. I have never been this sick before. And the worst feeling.... having a BH contrax while you have the chills.

Stay well everyone!

so is anyone else dilated???
#2 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 11:10 PM

get well soon!! ginger tea is great for sickness.. stay in there baby till momma is ready!!

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 11:42 PM
bec

I would suggest also loading your DH (and yourself, but talk to your MW) up on Zinc, B complex vitamins and echinacea! Have you ever heard of Esberitox? It's a chewable echinacea blend (I think wild indigo is the other ingredient). I swear, I have fought off more colds with this stuff than anything else!

I haven't had any internals (and won't without good reason), so don't know if I'm dialating yet or not (probably not, but I'm only 34 weeks!).

I hope you feel better.

Bec

Mama to: Katie, Emily , and Abby
Not perfect, Just amazing!
#4 of 26 Old 10-12-2005, 11:50 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
OMG I'm so sorry you are so sick!! That sounds like torture.

I am totally anxious to find out from my MW tomorrow whether I've dilated recently or not. I have been having these bouts of contractions like you wouldn't believe. I've been trying to figure out how to check my own cervix, after reading helpful threads here on MDC. I've never really been able to reach it though, just the lip of it, otherwise it's felt like it's facing backwards. Two nights ago, after an hour of sudden contractions 3 mins. apart, I tried checking again just for the heck of it, & now I swear I can easily find my cervix, put 2 fingers right in it & wiggle them around!! It's all very confusing.

Early this morning I contracted harder (SO painful!) than I ever have, *exactly* every 10 mins., lasting 1 min., for 90mins. I was freaking out, then they tapered off. Isn't that weird?! I had a trillion BH cx with both my previous pregnancies, but not at all like this! I just don't get it....

My dd was born at 35 weeks but was very ill which is always why I thought she came early, my son was born right on time at 40 weeks. I don't know why this baby would come early, but I just can't imagine my body keeping up this level of intense contractions for another entire 6 weeks! It's all weird & confusing.

ANYWAY, I'm sorry for using your thread as my venting place!

I'm sending your baby "Stay in!" telepathic messages right now!! At LEAST until you are feeling human again & not like a blob of grody viruses.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#5 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 12:05 AM

I would highly recommend Emergen-C. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals. I just got over a sore throat/cough. But I took Emergen-C at the first sign of it and it only took a few days. On the other hand, DD & DH have had it for over a week.

I don't know/think that I am dialated yet. I am 34 weeks. I had my OB appointment today and she didn't check. I would prefer not to be checked anyway. With DD (my first baby) I was dialated at 1-2 for a couple of weeks. You never know.
#6 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 12:19 AM

I was dilated 1 1/2 cm at 31 weeks (2 weeks ago). I had my midwife check , bc I was having so many strong contractions. My mom dilated 2 months early with her second child to 4cm., and my first daughter was 2 weeks early, with strong contractions and dilation 4 weeks before that, so I wanted to make sure it was nothing major. I haven't had as many contractions since then, but I've been trying to slow down! It's not very easy when you have a 16 month old to chase around! I have another appt. tomorrow, so we'll see what the midwife thinks about it all then!
#7 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 12:24 AM

I'm 33w3d and a "loose" 1-2 cm dialated and my cerivix is not very effaced, but "mushy." And, the baby is at a -2 station, so the head is engaged. This is all as of this morning, when I went in a got checked because I've been feeling "off" and having bouts of regular contractions. Last time I was 3-4 cm at 34 weeks and managed not to give birth until around 38 weeks (I actually was still walking around and not in labor for a few days at 6 cm dialated!) - so it doesn't mean you're about to go into labor neccesarily. I reccomend LOTS of water to drink (dehydration is the number one cause of PTL, and getting dehydrated can also cause oxytocin levels in your body to become more concentrated when you're considered "full term" making your body go into labor) and stay off your feet as much as possible. I'm supposed to be "taking it easy" and laying down as much as possible, avoiding stairs, no sex, no lifting, etc until 36 weeks.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#8 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 12:29 AM

Best wishes to you, mama, try to get some rest and get better. That sounds so awful! I've also been sick, maybe it's the flu.. I have had a fever off and on. Anyway, no idea if I'm dialated, just wanted to give all you other sick mamas a big . Try to keep those babies in!
#9 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 05:29 AM
Banned

Awww, poor dear Hope you feel better real soon.

I dunno if I am dialated or not, my cervix is back pretty far... and I can only feel one side of it.
#10 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 08:28 AM

I do hope you feel better! The night I went into labor with Sam i was up puking and having diarrhea all nght and no one knows if being sick made him arrive or if that was just the delight of early labor for me. So I have a good idea of how you feel.

Don't know if I'm dilated or not - I have not had any internals and don't plan to check myself because I honestly wouldn't know what I was feeling for.
#11 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 11:08 AM

Oh, ick. Sorry. That's awful. Apparently if you have pinkeye, you can put your breastmilk in it... (no really, someone told me this)...but it sounds like you're not so up for that right now.

I'm with Samsmamma - I haven't had any internal checks, and don't know what to check for myself. But maybe at today's MW appt I might ask. 'Cos I'm the christmas box-shaker...
#12 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 12:06 PM

My mw said that if your cervix is really far back then its probably not dialated very far at all... when you start making dialation/effacement progress it almost always swings forward.

I don't have a problem with internals before membranes have ruptured - I like to know what's going on, too. No one has ever been able to explain to me why they're such a "risk" when sex is fine during late pregnancy. On one hand you have a trained professional with a sterile glove and lubricant gently inserting a finger or two to asses the interior contours, on the other hand you have a bare penis (much bigger than a finger in most cases!) thrusting in and out repeatedly and finally leaving a load of prostaglandins directly on your cervix. Seriously - how could the second be perfectly okay and the first be a huge risk? I'm a biologist and I just don't get the logic... If sex has been advised against, then I would understand a little better, but it seems that I see/hear/read so many women talking about how risky internal checks are during late pregnancy in every case.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#13 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
but it seems that I see/hear/read so many women talking about how risky internal checks are during late pregnancy in every case.
I've heard a lot of talk from midwives and online about how there's a theory that it's easy to introduce GBS/infection via too many internal exams? Just because it's introducing new bacteria, even on supposedly sterile gloves, that the woman isn't used to?

I have no idea. I know my MW is not real hip to them, and she is pretty crunchy. I might ask for one today anyhow, even though I know she doesn't like to do them.
#14 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 07:04 PM

I hope you feel better soooooon!!!
#15 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 07:21 PM

I do hope that you feel better soon and that the babe stays inside until you are both ready!

I take an all natural immune booster when I feel sick...can't remember the name of it though...BioAlign or something like that. It comes in a white bottle at Whole Foods with a light blue lable. I have been taking it for two years and don't get sick very often or miserable when I am sick...I SHOULD know the name, eh?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#16 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 09:40 PM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I hope you are feeling better!!
It turns out that my cervix has swung forward & is uber soft, but is still not dilated, which is very good, but leads me to believe that my body is completely weird & I have no idea why I contract as hard & often as I do.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#17 of 26 Old 10-13-2005, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Queen of Cups
I'm a biologist and I just don't get the logic... If sex has been advised against, then I would understand a little better, but it seems that I see/hear/read so many women talking about how risky internal checks are during late pregnancy in every case.
My issue with internal exams is that they do not predict anything and merely tell you what your cervix is doing at that specific time and that time only. I have had clients walk around dilated 3-4cm for weeks. I had a client who was closed tight go into labor the next day and dilate completely in 3 hours. Even in labor, exams can frustrated a mom who doesnt think she has made "enough" progress.

The other risk is PROM, which you really dont want if your body is not ready to go into labor, as for most women it sets up a timetable, interventions, etc.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#18 of 26 Old 10-14-2005, 12:05 AM

I was at the MW yesterday: I'm 3cm dilated, 70% effaced, and -1 station.

Last time I walked around at 4.5 cm for about 11 days before my son was born.
#19 of 26 Old 10-14-2005, 12:11 AM

Im still 50% effaced & only dialated by a fingernail from my visit to the MW today. Just have to rest one more week so I should be able to have my HB with no problem.
#20 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 12:29 AM

At my 35.5 prenatal tonight...

I was 50% effaced and at +1 station but barely dilated...like 0-1cm. Mean anything?

#21 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 04:52 AM

(How to visualise a cervix, the idiot's method- courtesy of Flapjack.)
Your cervix starts off like a toilet roll inner, with a teeny tiny hole in the middle. 50% effaced means that your toilet roll is only half as long as it was, but you can only get a pencil in the middle. You want your cervix to continue effacing and dilating until it looks like an elastic band that you can wrap around at least 10 pencils.
No idea about effacement, but I can still get at least three, normally four fingers in as well without effort. I'm hoping it's just a mom-of-many thing (I haven't had a fully closed cervix EVER since I started charting.)
The logic behind no internals is that it was never husbands who carried the bacteria that caused post-pueral fever. It was midwives and doctors with internals and poor hygiene. Also, having had my waters break during an internal, I'd be very wary of having it happen again because the foreign bodies are, by definition, already up there and so there's no way of avoiding the clock counting down to labour. Your husband's semen, at 30-whatever weeks pregnant, is pretty much part of your own body and your immune system knows how to deal with it.
The other thing is that some people (me) have cervixes that can literally be stretched to full dilation during an internal once in labour. IME, what you save in time in first stage, you make up for in transition- so don't let them do it (apparently, it's like picking a scab- if a midwife can see it's possible, it's really frustrating not to.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#22 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 10:56 AM

last week I was dialated a fingertip and was 50% effaced. I am due on the 31st, but am hoping that this baby hangs on until the weekend because the whole family has been sick. DS was throwing up Saturday, DD was yesterday and DH is today. I really hope I dont get it. I go back to the MW on Thursday, so we will see if any progress has been made.
#23 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 11:55 AM

Thanks, Helen for your wisdom!

I got the visual. Good job explaining it!

I did the GBS test last night so that is one reason we did an internal. It was the first one I have gotten with my MW. I am glad to know more of what is going on in there, too. She was so quick about it...it kinda surprised me. She is pretty hands off during the mom's labor from what I hear and from what she says. Maybe it's just b/c I am a first time mom, but I appreciate knowing where I am at right now even if it changes/doesn't have a WHOLE LOT of meaning about labor. Nice to know why my right side pubic bone has been feeling pressure! Duh.

#24 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 02:55 PM

My MW won't check me until my next appointment which is in almost two weeks! I should be ok with this hands-off way of doing things, but dang it...I'm CURIOUS! I'm 36 weeks exactly according to my original due date, but measured 2 weeks ahead consistently the past three appointments. I'm REEEEAAAALLLY hoping this little guy makes an "early" entrance into this world b/c he's getting BIG and I'm getting uncomfortable! Sigh. I've tried checking on my own and just like many others around here, don't know what I'm looking for! Oh, the waiting game!!!
#25 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 PM

On Monday, I was 2cm, and 50% effaced, but have been crampy all day with the bloody show, so hopefully things are happening! Or, more likely, I'll spend the day really excited, and then it will all stop for a day or two
#26 of 26 Old 10-26-2005, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefulmommy
I've tried checking on my own and just like many others around here, don't know what I'm looking for! Oh, the waiting game!!!
I have heard that we are supposed to be looking for a baby. I feel around in there, but nobody's giving me a high-five back.

It's a mixed blessing to get that exam done. Because I'm at the same point as Meagan, and have been for a week now...and my MW said I could walk around like this for weeks...happy happy joy joy.

No really, I don't care anymore.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page