Newborn Vaccinations: What are you doing?! - Page 2 - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#31 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 11:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Quote:
-how would that work with school, those who have not gotten all vax (even w/ our delayed schedule ds will have all the requirements by school time)- we have a religious/health exemption, but how can you claim that if they see you've done some but not all of them?
Itsybitsy, in Ohio we can state a philosophical objection to vaccines, so we just have to sign something once a year when she gets to be school-aged, assuming we still live here. Each state is different though, and some states only allow a medical or religions exception. Your state department of health should be able to answer any questions about that for you.

As far as separating the multiples, the idea is that it is such a strain on a baby's stystem to have to fight one vaccine, much less two or three, that it's better to space them out, at least a month apart. Secondly, if your child has a serious reaction to a multiple vaccine, there is no way to determine which one the child is reacting to.

I also recommend Stephanie Cave's book. It is awesome, and she provides a recommended delayed schedule that I will be using as a guide.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#32 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 11:42 AM

Nothing at birth period other than oral vit K if midwife thinks we need it. NB screening a few days later.

I will do DTaP starting about 9-12 months and finish the series within the required spacing. Won't do any others until the child is way older...(schoolish age likely). This is what I did with my son but he DID receive IPV as we lived in Europe and traveled a lot to areas with higher polio rates and through airports where infected people would have been likely to pass.

I used to help run an immunization clinic while in the military and have degree in public health. ; ) How ironic.
#33 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 02:01 PM

We don't plan to vax the babe at any point in time. Dh is seriously against it and has done tons of research about what vaxs contain, etc.

I am reading "What your Dr. May Not Tell You About Vaccinations" and doing other research. My chiro and I talk a lot about it these days as he has 4 kids and no vax ever for any of them. It's nice to know of peds. in the area that support not vaxing.

Don't see any point in the Vit K or eye drops but I need to be more informed. And, I need to talk with my MW about it further.

What's the point of the foot prick and the PKU test?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#34 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 05:34 PM

Gunter: The foot prick tests for a whole TON of metabolic problems in the baby that pretty much can't be diagnosed in any other way. Most of them have to do with protiens and enzymes that the baby can't digest reguarly, or minerals and other bodily chemicals like hormons that the baby either can't get enough of or doesn't use or process correctly. Basically, a lot of the metabolic stuff can't be caught other than by blood test and has pretty severe consequences for the newborn. Luckily, it appears that most of the diseases are treatable with supplementation, special diet and regular medical care.

In Wisconsin, where we have a pretty normal set of stuff to test for, the heel prick tests for the following:

Argininosuccinic Acidemia -- inability to digest protein in foods, can cause seizures
Biotinase Deficency -- lack of biotin in the system, causes developmental delays.
Citrullinemia -- inability to digest protien in foods
Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia -- Lack of 21-hydroxylase in blood, delays development
Congenital Hypothyroidism -- low thyroid hormone, delays development
Cystic Fibrosis -- causes thick mucous in lungs, lowers ability to absorb fat and protien.
Galactosemia -- can't digest the sugar galactose, which builds up in the body and can damage eyes, liver, and brain.
Homocystinura -- can't digest Methionine in food.
Maple Syrup Urine Disease -- can't digest a series of enzymes found in protien.
Phenylketonuria -- body can't produce a chemical needed to break down the amino acid phenylalanine.
Sickle Cell Disease -- malformed blood cells, leading to increased weakness to infections.
Tyrosinemia -- can't digest the amino acid tyrosine, found in protien.
Various Fatty-Acid Oxidation Disorders -- body has a hard time burning fat for energy.
Various Organic Acidemias -- cause the body to be unable to remove certian waste products from their blood.

Hope that helps!
#35 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 09:16 PM

newborn testing

I think this is a good website to visit for general information. HTH
#36 of 47 Old 10-17-2005, 11:20 AM

we will not be doing the Hep B vaccine. I reccomend you get a book on the topic- maybe the Vaccine Guide- that has helped us alot.
Emilie
#37 of 47 Old 10-17-2005, 12:07 PM

Re: the school thing and no vaxes, in Florida, or at least in my county, you have to go down to the health department to fill out a religious exemption form. That is the only way to get around it. A few years back, an AP group in town made up a "Divine Body" church just to simplify matters, but I think some of the original "founders" let it slide and it's no longer in existence. If there is not a more reasonable solution by the time this baby's ready, it is a civil liberties battle I would LOVE to take on!!
#38 of 47 Old 10-17-2005, 12:48 PM

Around here the 'routine' things are Vit K and eye goop at birth. PKU about 4 days after.

I don't do vit K or eye goop but I will have the PKU test done.

All immunizations in my province start at 2 months, we don't immunize though, so only PKU here.
#39 of 47 Old 10-17-2005, 03:14 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by zjande
I have released my growling mama bear & feel awesome about it. No one touches my baby unless I SAY SO DAMMIT!! t.

AMEN!
#40 of 47 Old 10-17-2005, 03:25 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkwoman1982
I personally have the routine vacs done but not the chicken pox one i think it is better for kids to just get the chicken pox and have it done and over with..
One arguement FOR this vax is that these days Chicken Pox is somewhat rare among kids... Not like when we were little and you just waited around to get it! So "they" say that if a person risks getting Chicken Pox as an adult, there can be major complications such as heart problems.

What's the word on that?
#41 of 47 Old 10-17-2005, 07:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynotgirl
So "they" say that if a person risks getting Chicken Pox as an adult, there can be major complications such as heart problems.
I never heard about heart problems, but I did watch a friend of mine in his early 30's get chicken pox (ironically, from his newly vaxed 5 year old) and he was *mightily* ill with it... I think he was hospitalized for over a week, and had a lengthy recovery at home after that.

Which just makes me more certian that I don't want that to happen to my kids, and I want them to get the best immunity possible -- so I'll have to go to the trouble of hunting down chicken pox for them.
#42 of 47 Old 10-17-2005, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynotgirl
One arguement FOR this vax is that these days Chicken Pox is somewhat rare among kids... Not like when we were little and you just waited around to get it! So "they" say that if a person risks getting Chicken Pox as an adult, there can be major complications such as heart problems.

What's the word on that?
NOT TRUE...
& that's the usual scare tactics :

I got CP for the 1st time @ 40 YEARS old.. I had a severe case - very bad... but I was really sick for 3 days & I SURVIVED just fine with no residual problems.

BTW - my DD got CP 2X !!!!!!!!!!!!
once @ 18 mos & again @ 18 YO !! (we got them together)
her 2nd case was pretty severe & she did just fine.

Me & DH hug2.gif , adult DD lips.gif & 7 yo DS guitar.gif . 2 GSDs, 6 rescue kitties, 4 birds & a gerbil.
#43 of 47 Old 10-18-2005, 11:19 AM

Also keep in mind- just because they get the vax does not mean that they will be immune. Vaccinations- all of them - for me-
is basically what do I feel personally is the lesser of two evils.
You do not feel good either way- IMO- if you do vax- you worry about the effects- some seen and not seen- if you don't- you worry they will get whooping cough- etc.
Take time to research it all out- search yourself and what YOU feel comfortable with- and only after you have all the information- or enough for you- make a decision.
One of the only reasons they have them on such a tight schedule is because it is easier to give a shot to a infant/baby lying there- then a 3-4-5 year old. You have time to check this all out.
#44 of 47 Old 10-19-2005, 01:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie
]
One of the only reasons they have them on such a tight schedule is because it is easier to give a shot to a infant/baby lying there- then a 3-4-5 year old. You have time to check this all out.
Also because in America we have such a crap public health system that the only time Doctors can count on having parents bring their kids to the doc is when they're very small, so they try to stuff as many things in to that timeframe as they can -- a kind of "get them while they're hot" mentality. :

I have to go interview pediatricians, alternative vax schedule in hand, on Friday. Prayers, good wishes, and white light would be appreciated. I've been putting this off far too long, and I'm more than a little terrified about the whole process. Especially since the babe and I are on Medicaid, and entirely too many docs think poor = sick and dumb.
#45 of 47 Old 10-24-2005, 12:43 PM

docs- are not used to being questioned either.... it is so sad. Remember you are hiring them to work for you... not the other way around.
Emilie
#46 of 47 Old 10-24-2005, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emilie
docs- are not used to being questioned either.... it is so sad. Remember you are hiring them to work for you... not the other way around.
Emilie

: : !!!!!
#47 of 47 Old 10-24-2005, 07:03 PM

I am a lot more aware of things now than I was when I had my first DS. His vaccine injury was very eye opening.
There is a tremendous amount of vaccine info on the vaccine forum here. We are fortunate enough to have an investigative journalist who has been covering vaccines for years and is just a plethora of information. I was a RN for a decade and just never knew...
Anyway, the moral of my story here is this book came highly recommended, a great resource for those of us who decide to not vax or selectively vax.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page