Newborn Vaccinations: What are you doing?! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 07:34 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm hoping to get some input here. We are expecting our dd to be born in about 3 weeks (yay!). This is our first baby, and we want to "do everything right", like we all do

I'd like to know what your plans are for your babies as they are born! Please let me know, this is part of my research, to ask around a lot

Thank you!!!
#2 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 09:39 AM

My MW has the Vit K and the eye drops in her hb kit but evidently doesn't use them. We're not doing any hep shot. At the 4 day appt, we have to do the PKU test at the ped's office, so that should most likely be the first needle prick this babe experiences.
#3 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 09:55 AM

We'll probably do the Vit k and the eye drops, but I'm still reading on it. We won't be doing the Hepatitis B shot and then have the metabolic screening done by our ped.

After that, no vaccines until 6 months, at which point we will begin slowly vaccinating so that we are all caught up by the time baby enters school.
#4 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 10:05 AM

We are having a HB so there will be no fighting about newborn proceedures. The only one I have doubts about is Vit K, partly because my ped laid the guilt on for that one. BUt the plan is to avoid all proceedures and delay cord clamping as long as possible (2-3 hrs) so the babe gets all the blood and antibodies it needs. I will get the PKU at around 1 week when we visit the Ped (assuming no prior issues), since it should be done once your milk comes in - and mine wasnt in at 48 hrs when the hospital did it last time. Go figure.

As far as other vax, I have not decided yet. I am leaning towards selective and delayed, I just have no decided which ones I will select.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#5 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 10:10 AM

HB here too, my MW has Vit K drops that she'll do, but not the shot. At this point I dont plan on getting any vaxs until hes at least 6 mths old & then we'll selectivily/delay vax. I only get one shot at a time so I normally just go in & pick when the time comes.
#6 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 11:55 AM

I defer all vax until 6 months and then start with one per month. I seperate all the "combo" vaxes and I don't give the Hep B, Varicella until they are 12 yrs old and I don't give the one for ear infections/meningitis (brain fart right now).

About the ONLY thing I am thinking of is the flu vaccine. I am FREAKED about that potential Avian Flu Pandemic and with 2 kids in the public school system and 3 yrs in a row with the flu in our house, I don't want to take any chances. I probably won't give it to Sydney, but I will vax all the rest of us. I might ask for some Tamiflu too, since that's the only treatment effective for the Avian Flu right now and then project a shortage (don't they always?)

Anyway. That's my deal.
#7 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 12:21 PM

We will not do Hep B at birth and our hospital is not pushy about it. Beyond that, we will do a few vaccines later but I'm not sure when we will start them.

We will do the (optional in TX) screening for metabolic disorders. The extra heel prick is a small price IMHO vs. the rare but potential devastation that can occur including death. Some friends of ours nearly lost their baby to the MCAD disorder (which can be controlled with diet if caught early) and not only is he very handicapped now but they nearly lost both their children to CPS because the symptoms practically mirror those of Shaken Baby Syndrome and it is very difficult to prove otherwise to "the system".

(sorry to have got a little off topic there - their story has affected me greatly)
#8 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma
I don't give the one for ear infections/meningitis (brain fart right now).

About the ONLY thing I am thinking of is the flu vaccine. I am FREAKED about that potential Avian Flu Pandemic and with 2 kids in the public school system and 3 yrs in a row with the flu in our house, I don't want to take any chances. I probably won't give it to Sydney, but I will vax all the rest of us. I might ask for some Tamiflu too, since that's the only treatment effective for the Avian Flu right now and then project a shortage (don't they always?)
Prevnar. Yeah, we don't do that one either. Or chicken pox. I skipped MMR last time and broke it up, but that's for our 12 month old discussion, eh?

(neurotic rant ON, off topic, please don't flame me!)There isn't a flu vaccine for avian flu; and when there is, the proles like us are not going to be getting it until after the medical type people, governmental people, old people, etc etc, basically lowest on the pole. You can try asking for tamiflu or relenza - most doctors think you're a nutter (unless you find one - then tell me too!). I've been following this flu for a couple years, and while the hysteria might seem sudden to us in the USA, it's been concerning the WHO and asian nations for quite a while - I was wondering why nobody in our media seemed to care when other nations did. The international media reported it long (2 years ago) before we ever did. I think it's quite scary, myself. (Neurotic rant over)

I've given up on being concerned about it...we'll just stay home if it shows up - and I'll let y'all know, because it's projected to show geographically where I live first if anywhere. And wash hands. We won't get the regular flu vaccine, seeing as the worst strain in the combo this year we all had two years ago (Shanghai B). It WAS really bad. I'd never considered the vax until I had that flu.

Ooohkay, now that we've established me as the overly-educated certified hypochondriac in the November DDC ...newborn stuff?

Vitamin K if there has been bruising or a hard labor
Eyedrops are "aimed at the eye" by the midwife (state law requires, but "aim" can mean so much, KWIM?)
No Hep B until age 12
Newborn panel at 4 days (MW comes back to do it, apparently!)

We will break up the 3 mos old vaxes this time. Our first 3 mos experience with last daughter led to horrific, terrifying screaming afterwards, lasting for more than an hour. Bleh!
#9 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 01:06 PM

We'll probably do VitK but definitely not hepB or the eyedrops. And then we'll wait til 6 months to start selective vaccines, individually. I'm not sure about pertussis though; we might do that first.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#10 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 01:15 PM
kel

We're doing the Vit. K shot this time - midwife will do it a few hours after the birth, before she leaves. Same with the eye drops - not the silver nitrate - just the goopy stuff. A couple days later she'll do the newborn screen heel prick. I hate for a newborn to have any kind of pain, however brief, but I want to be safe, too. As far as general vaccinations go - we don't vaccinate our kids for much - tetnus (alone) is all we've done so far, (although we may do a couple others, like chicken pox before they hit teen years), but the earliest any of my kids have been vaccinated is three years I believe.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#11 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 01:28 PM

Yeah, I know the vaccine isn't for the avian flu (wouldn't that be fab though?!?!) I just figure the less compromised are in general this season, the better.

I'm not *too* panicked, like you, I watch this stuff and know it's been brewing for years. What panics me is the panic of OTHERS and I don't want to be the victim of a run on Tamiflu because other people are freakin' out and stock piling. I just want enough for my family.

We luckily have a child with asthma-like "syndrome" in the house (although she rarely has issues) and obviously a newborn so my Ped has set aside flu vax for all of us including DH and I. We meet that "special" criteria. *rolls eyes*.

Thanks for the Prevnar name, I hate when I fart like that!! :LOL

I'm a hermit anyway in the winter, so I'm not too worried about exposure, just the older girls being in school.
#12 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 02:08 PM

Not doing any vaccinations here. As soon as I find a holistic ped in the area (can't say I've been that diligent in looking though) I'll take both the kiddos in so they at least have a medical file (don't want to look negligent even though Willem has only been sick a handful of times... literally like 3 times and they were colds that went away on their own).

Our philosophy is that the body works better with no interference. Regular chiropractic care from birth is an AMAZING immune booster. Studies show it, experience shows it... it's what we do and what we believe in.
#13 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 02:47 PM

i did do the vit K with elwynn (but not the eye ointment) but he hasn't had any other vaccinations and wont ever hopefully. . i dont think that they are necessary and i dont think they make a healthier child or adult.

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#14 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 04:13 PM

Oral vitamin K, not injected. None of the others are an issue over here, thank goodness- and we're having the heel prick test as well.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#15 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 04:24 PM

We don't vaccinate at all so that's pretty much a no-brainer. No eye goop and we'll give oral vit. k only if there's bruising or trauma at birth, we don't circ so that's non-issue as well. Still deciding on PKU but probably won't do it this time either. I didn't with my last 2.
I just think birth should be warm and welcoming, not full of pricks and pokes and crap.
#16 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 04:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoggyGranolaMomma

I'm a hermit anyway in the winter, so I'm not too worried about exposure, just the older girls being in school.

Yup. I'm keeping mine out of school for a few weeks after the baby is born - the school already OK'd it. It will be nice to A) bond and B) not have whatever is going around the school for a few weeks. So far, it's just been crankiness and sniffles that she's caught, but I'd be happier with neither for a little while.
#17 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 04:49 PM

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
I've been reading so much on the subject the last several months, but still don't have a definite plan. I do know we'll do the PKU test (which is required here, but I would definietly do it anyway), & the oral vit. K & eye goop 2 hours after birth. No hep. B vax. As to the other vaccines, nothing before 6 mos., but i just haven't decided exactly which ones we will want, & when.... I do want certain vaccines, selectively & delayed... gotta get more reading done on the matter!

This is exciting for me because I was so uneducated before my other births. I just had no idea that I could have any say in the matter! :LOL I trusted the Drs & hospital staff so much. This time (due almost entirely to my access to the internet & message boards like the now defunct Hipmama, & Mothering...) I am SO much more empowered this time. I have released my growling mama bear & feel awesome about it. No one touches my baby unless I SAY SO DAMMIT!! It's fabulous that you're aware of your options cynotgirl! I wish I had been with my 1st.

North Idaho rural living  mama to: 23 yo DD, 16 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. And someone new coming this Christmas!
#18 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 05:07 PM

I personally have the routine vacs done but not the chicken pox one i think it is better for kids to just get the chicken pox and have it done and over with.. but i do not think that has anythign to do with infant vacs. been awhile since i had an infant can't really remember what they do.. I never have had the flu shot or had my childeren have it either i cannot even remember the last time i caught the flu... but then again i spend alot of time either at home or at work and there are only 7 of us where i work. and it is the cleanest farm u have ever seen in your whole life.. but that is not the subject. well anyways no matter what u decide it is up to you and surely what ever decision u make will be the right one for you and your little one.
#19 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 06:01 PM

WE don't Vax at all - DUE to an ENORMOUS amount of research!!!!

we will do Vit K, but no eye drops.....As I understand it the eurythromycin(sp)-eye stuff - is to protect your little one from a STD that the mother has I think it is Clamydia (sp?) so since I don't have it why should baby get a medication that blurs vision to protect from it ? ( if I am wrong on the reason, please let me know ).
I feel this way about Hep B as well - Why would I give my newborn a shot for a disease that is contracted through promiscuous sex or IV drug users ?

For anyone that wants to do reading on Vaccines
( as if we all have tons of free time before our babies come .
Of all of the books that I have read ( at least 20 ) The most informative, non bias was by Stephanie Cave MD What Your Doctor May Not tell You About Children's Vaccinations. She has a recommended schedule for vaccines if you do choose to have your child get them, and suggestions for helping with any side effects

Too many times we are trusting of our Dr.'s and they may have false info, or better yet ( this I know 1st hand ) Be getting info from the Drug company Rep that wants to sell the drug

No matter what one decides on the subject I think it ALWAYS a great idea to read & inform yourself so that way you feel confident in your decision for your family!!!!
Good luck in your decision making!
#20 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 06:29 PM

I worked with our pediatrician to design a vaccination schedule I'm comfortable with, and it starts at 4 months so we don't do any vaccines before that. (I worked from the Japanese vax schedule as a starting point, which you can find on the WHO website.) We actually do the eye goop because any kind of bacteria in the vagina during birth can lead to eye infections/crustiness the first few weeeks and if you research infant eyesight you'll find that newborns can't see clearly for several weeks anyway, so I don't feel it interferes with bonding. We do delay it until after the first hour, though.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#21 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 08:11 PM

No vax, no eye drops, and only Vit K if mw feels it's necessary at the birth.
#22 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamsInDigital
We don't vaccinate at all so that's pretty much a no-brainer. No eye goop and we'll give oral vit. k only if there's bruising or trauma at birth, we don't circ so that's non-issue as well. Still deciding on PKU but probably won't do it this time either. I didn't with my last 2.
I just think birth should be warm and welcoming, not full of pricks and pokes and crap.
:
#23 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 11:43 PM

just wanted to add that when your newborn does get a little eye goop
( kinda green, sticky sometimes usually in the 1st few weeks is normal ) Sounds silly, but if you drop a little breast milk in the eye once or twice a day, it will clear it right up! I freaked out when my dd first had it, but my MW suggested it & it worked right away
#24 of 47 Old 10-15-2005, 11:59 PM
Banned

No newborn vaxes.

Babies cannot catch Hep B because they aren't using drugs or having sex (and I dont' have Hep B so it cannot be passed through my milk.) Good hting is, Hep B is NOT given in Canada at birth unless mom is Hep B positive (goes to show the Us is fueled by the $.)

Also, no eye ointment because I do not have an STD. I know VitK and the eye ointment are not vaxes, but they are still not neccessary IMO.

We are doing Vit K... and we will do other vaxes on a delayed schedule. No vaxes before the baby is a year old.
#25 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 12:06 AM

Homebirth, so no eye stuff (I don't see the point), I think I decided against vit K- I was going to do oral drops but now I'm just taking alfalfa. We'll go to the ped sometime afterwards and get the heel prick/pku/whatever.

I agree with pp's, we are going to such lengths to make this a peaceful, loving, warm birth- why then stick the poor child right away and make it feel scared and cold and in pain? I want it to feel warm and loved and peaceful and comfortable.

Count me in as another who plans on delaying vax for 6 mos. then doing selective/delayed. EVer since ds was 6 mos old I've done that- he had the full AAP schedule up till then and has a lot of problems so I'd feel safer delaying it this time.

Questions/comments:

-good point about hep B- may as well wait till they're much older since there is little risk of a little kid getting a sexually/needle transmitted disease. Is there any other reason a kid might need it?

-how would that work with school, those who have not gotten all vax (even w/ our delayed schedule ds will have all the requirements by school time)- we have a religious/health exemption, but how can you claim that if they see you've done some but not all of them?

-what are the benefits of separating the combo vax's? I"ve heard it's a good idea but I'm not sure why.

Thanks!

ETA: Also wanted to say we never get the flu vax, it scares me, I don't think it's necessarily effective, and it's clearly a money making proposition for drug companies and I refuse to help line their pockets. The 'good' thing is, ds is allergic to eggs, so the decision is out of my hands- he can't get it anyway so that kind of takes the worry over whether he should have it or not away which puts me more at ease.
#26 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 12:09 AM

No eye ointment -- I was under the impression that it could be used to treat other infections, but apparently according to my midwives that's not so. And since I know I don't have chlamidiya, I'm not worried.

We're doing the vitiman K shot and we'll do the PKU at the first pediatrician visit.

No Hep B, although I'm planning on having our kids vaxed for it when they're teenagers. You know -- when they're actually likely to be engaging in conduct that might transmit it.

We're doing a modified vax schedule starting at 6 months, but I'm thinking of moving flu vaxes and prevnar up, because I'm also freaked out about Avian Flu, and I think it's really important to get vaxed against the normal flu, both to protect against mutation vectors, and to avoid getting the normal flu and using scarce health care resources during an outbreak.

I'm also thinking about prevnar for the little one and the adult peneumonia vax for DH and I because often in less serious cases of flu and other diseases it's the secondary bacterial peneumonia that kills -- and because I get penumonia every couple of years and every time it makes my asthma worse. It'd be nice to keep what lung function I have, you know?

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#27 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 12:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by itsybitsy25

-good point about hep B- may as well wait till they're much older since there is little risk of a little kid getting a sexually/needle transmitted disease. Is there any other reason a kid might need it?

-how would that work with school, those who have not gotten all vax (even w/ our delayed schedule ds will have all the requirements by school time)- we have a religious/health exemption, but how can you claim that if they see you've done some but not all of them?
Well. Technically, hep b can also be transmitted through saliva and other VERY close, sustained body-fluid contact with a Hep B carrier, which are fairly well-established at-risk populations. This is not so likely for our family. Various insane medical people have tried to think up ways that my child could be exposed via bloodborne/fluid exchange, including getting bitten at daycare (not a problem) or sports, like ... soccer. When I told her that wasn't a problem, she said, "well, what about ballet?" Did you know that ballet is a blood sport? I had no idea. Crazy woman. And I'm the hypochondriac.

In our state, we have a personal exemption, and there's a line where you can write down vaccines you don't want your child to have. Can you look at the form in your state and see if there is such an exemption? I know in NYS there wasn't...but here, we can just write down the ones we do not want. The school then has the right to exclude her if there's an outbreak of chicken pox or say, bloody ballerinas shooting up outside the 1st grade classroom.

Is prevnar now on the list of recommended/required vaccines? Five years ago, they only suggested it for children with horrible ear infection problems and serious immune disorders. I asked about it and the nurse said no way was it necessary - as long as I kept breastfeeding!
#28 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 01:04 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom
We are having a HB so there will be no fighting about newborn proceedures. The only one I have doubts about is Vit K, partly because my ped laid the guilt on for that one.
unless your baby is born by a traumatic forceps/vacuum delivery or you have other bleeding issues, your baby does not need vitamin K.

It can cause neonatal jaundice and later there is evidence it can cause leukemia.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#29 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 01:06 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
There is a vaccine forum here with lots and lots of references for and against vaccinating your newborn.

Although most of the posts and members here are anti-vax, you should read both sides of the issue and make up your own mind.

"The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie, deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive and unrealistic."
#30 of 47 Old 10-16-2005, 11:09 AM

I am skipping the eye drops (MW says she hasn't done them in a long time) but will do them on request. I said if I had any doubts I'd go get a STD screen for me first. The other concern is gonnarea (I know I must have spelled that wrong).

We will do the screen test, as I feel like despite the low incidence of the conditions involved, the danger from of brain damage from some of them, and the fact that it's totally preventable warrants the test. I was also a lot more comfortable when I found out the MWs do this on the 5th day. I couldn't do it on the first day my babe was here.

I'm leaning toward doing no vitamin K, because I've been drinking pregnancy tea for months, but if the midwives recommend it based on how the birth goes, I'll take some myself.

I'm still up in the air about the final vax decisions. I do know that we will be delaying vaccinations (nothing before a year), and that I won't allow more than one shot at a time. I'm concerned about the high levels of autoimmune disease that correlate with wide-spread vaccination. I've got hasimotos thyroiditis myself, and a dog with all kinds of skin care and allergy problems that my vet thinks are partly vaccine-induced.

It's often possible to opt-out of vax requirements, but no one will give you that impression.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page