Weekly Chatterbox, Oct 18-23 - Page 3 - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#61 of 82 Old 10-20-2005, 09:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Gunter, glad your DH is being more amenable to perineal massage than mine! I was kind of contemplating having him do a little bit, but it's a toss-up which of us is less inclined to get into it, so I think we're just going to drop it. The chocolate covered banana sounds good! (Frozen, I'm assuming.)

I am feeling basically better today, but I had a nasty confrontation with one of the students today. I could not believe her, she was totally psycho. She has, shall we say, some issues, and is being very disruptive and obnoxious to the other members of the student club I sponsor. I should not be upset by it, but it was actually really disturbing, she's being very accusatory.
#62 of 82 Old 10-20-2005, 11:46 PM

gunter- Thanks for your honesty about your parents. I have always been interested in reading the books by Dave Peltzer, but once I became a parent I haven't been able to read them. I'm so sorry you had to experience that- how incredible and awesome that you are already making such a wonderful life for your precious babe and doing things totally differently!

kavita- So sorry about the bronchitis- that sounds miserable.

DiD- : Awesome!!!! I am sooo happy for you that things are working out so well, and you are on leave already! What a relief! (Wish I was- still almost a month to go

Jenn- Too funny- we are going through the bus thing, too!! We had the IEP meeting with the school system on Wed. to find out if ds would get services after he turned 3- he's been doing so well lately so we thought maybe he wouldn't but we were so hopeful he'd get into the preschool program- it was really nerve-wracking and formal but the end result was that they agreed he should go to school!! It is such a relief b/c it's free for one thing, and I won't have an income after next month and was wondering what on earth I was going to do with him and a new baby every day at home by myself. And it is such a great program, he'll have Speech and OT every day.

BUT- he is going on the school bus! It is also one of those little buses with only a few other 3 yr olds on it, not a big bus with older kids. I am so freaked about putting a 20# just-turned-3 yr old on a bus and just sending him off and he won't know where he's going or what's going on! I know after the first week or so he'll love it and be fine, but it's the initial just saying goodbye and hoping he gets to where he's supposed to go that has me so worried! He really is just a little baby and won't know what's happening.
#63 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 12:03 AM

I had my midwife appt today, brought her the map to my house and everything. I went ahead and did the GBS testing, but the MW is cool about it - even if I test positive, I can delay or deny antibiotics or choose the conservative approach (i.e. wait until 18 hours post rupture of membranes). They're super flexible. And I'm 50% effaced and 2 cm dilated, which I guess does not mean a whole lot, but made me feel better in some twisted way. I asked them to check. I have a question - have any of you really tapered off in the weight gain - I mean, I have gained 1 lb in the past 3 weeks despite my pumpkin cupcake addiction. Is that weird or not? The weight loss I mean, I already know the pumpkin cupcakes are weird. The MW said some people even lose weight right before (?!)...but she said I was ready to go whenever. Also, the baby's head is right against my cervix, which she did say was unusual at this point. I think she meant in a good way...

I went to look for stamps/cute art supplies to make my own baby announcements, but most of them were off the charts in hideousness. Fugly is no way to be announced into this world, no way at all. But maybe that's what I get for going to a chain craft store. I could get fugly baby announcements to go with a kitty cross-stitch, polyester yarn poncho that says I Heart Grandma, and pretend flowers that somehow look wilted.

Gunter, I love that some parts of the country call it "fried dough." It was a staple of every fair/cultural event we attended on the East Coast. It's really very descriptive and direct. Here, they're called "Elephant ears" which is just an attempt to make you THINK you're not actually eating what is, in fact, fried dough. It's also called Indian Fry Bread in other places, like where I grew up. But then again, every culture has their own "fried dough." What are tortillas but fried dough? And chapati? And...etc...mmmm...fried dough....(homer noise)

My daughter was in trouble at her Montessori school today for being silly at the tea work. Apparently, she wasn't supposed to fling the water all over her tea partner and the floor while pretending to obliviously carry on a conversation (she reenacted it for me, it was comical but probably very messy). When the teacher told her that she looked like she needed another lesson on it and would not be able to do the tea work tomorrow, she said, "Oh good, because I really wasn't planning to do it tomorrow anyways. I'm so glad you said that and we agree." A real noodle off the old flyingspaghettimama plate.
#64 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 06:55 AM - Thread Starter

Well, so more prodromal labor... no progress as far as more dialation. DH woke up at5 am with ds yesterday so I was in a pretty good mood due to being rested yesterday. today's a different story. I didn't get to sleep until 2 am and was up at 5... so.... maybe not such a good day ahead.

On the brighter side, I signed up with a local marketing research group and made $20 cash yesteday for answering like 5 min of questions about double strollers. I was pretty excited about that!!!
#65 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 09:59 AM

Quote:
have any of you really tapered off in the weight gain
FSM, I have hit a plateau. I think I've been the same for about 3 weeks now, despite the fact that my belly still *feels* bigger every day. I think in most pregnancy books it says this is normal for the last few weeks.

I'm taking the day off from going and doing and being social. I may even stay in my jammies all day! It's nice and cool and rainy so a good day to sequester myself, listen to good music, and do another round of organization of baby stuff.

I can't believe we haven't had any babies yet this week!!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#66 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingspaghettimama
Gunter, I love that some parts of the country call it "fried dough." It was a staple of every fair/cultural event we attended on the East Coast. It's really very descriptive and direct. Here, they're called "Elephant ears" which is just an attempt to make you THINK you're not actually eating what is, in fact, fried dough. It's also called Indian Fry Bread in other places, like where I grew up. But then again, every culture has their own "fried dough." What are tortillas but fried dough? And chapati? And...etc...mmmm...fried dough....(homer noise)
We have elephant ears, too and we have funnel cakes! Yeah, my plan was to get an elephant ear at the fair but this year they had something different that a friend recomended. They are bits of friend dough covered in chocolate sauce. I was a little hesitant to try them b/c I really like the elephant ears. These were more like doughnuts and not as fun to eat, IMO. I shouldn't have listened to my friend. It is funny about the friend bread thing and about food culture. DH and I lived in India and love us some chapati!!! Where did you grow up?

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#67 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 01:39 PM

I had a midwife appointment yesterday too that also involved the GBS swab. Which I somehow managed to poke myself with, hard enough to make myself bleed. Then last night I rolled over in bed weirdly and started bleeding again, and half convinced myself that it was exciting good bleeding but then on further checking realized, no, it was just due to being a klutz earlier. It's a good thing we *don't* have to use tampons during pregnancy because I swear everything down there changes its orientation daily AND it's all puffy and "friable" and just generally a pain in the butt.

I have also discovered that my blood pressure is significantly higher at one midwife's office than the other. She refuses to take responsibility for that (in a nice, haha stupid pregnant lady kind of way) but I think it's because I'm always worried that DH is reacting negatively to her when we're there. But yesterday's visit was actually good (aside from my incompetence with the swab). Oh, except - and this is a good warning to anyone who puts a lot of stock in those fundal height measurements - the student mw measured me and came up with 37. The regular midwife sort of went "WTF? She all of a sudden jumped into the 90th percentile" and so the student re-measured me only this time *I* pointed out where the top of my pubic bone is and the resulting measurement was 35. So if your midwife measures you and you had a sudden drop or jump, ask to be measured again!

3 more sleeps til I'm 37 weeks!!!! Going to buy my homebirth supplies tomorrow!!!!

Also we had our last prenatal class last night. It feels like this pregnancy is coming to an end, psychologically at least. I loaned my favourite pregnancy book to a coworker this morning and when he said he'd get it back to me after his wife read it, it occurred to me that I probably didn't need it anymore! It was a hand-me-down from another friend to me, so I told him to keep it and pass it along.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#68 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 04:09 PM

Regarding the weight thing, count me in. In the past month, I've lost a pound, then two more, then gained one, so pretty much staying the same. That seems about right on for what I have been eating. I usually have no appetite, and when I do eat, I feel cruddy. Of course if I don't eat, I get even worse heartburn and feel awful too. I can't win anymore.

It's friday!! That makes me very happy. I can't wait to have a weekend with nothing big to do! Except maybe have a baby!
#69 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

I've definitely tapered off on weight despite my chocolate consumption
#70 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 04:31 PM

my mom came and took elwynn for a sleep over last night and is keeping him for the day. woohoo! but i have SO much to do and ive been VERY unmotivated. so far ive read most of a book, had a hot bath, played on the computer, laid around, ate some breakfast, ate some chocolate :LOL its 12:30 and i HAVE to take my digital camera in to get fixed today..otherwise i feel like ill never get it done ( and i want it for belly pics, labor and baby pics!!), which means getting dressed and taking the bus..which means going out in public and i feel soooooo hermit-like these days.i guess i should just go and do it.. *sigh* im also going to buy some birth supplis today while im out. for some reason i keep putting it off and i think its because last time i spent a bundle on stuff that i didnt use and ended up giving away.. is it really necessary? anyways, i have only a few hours left of my own time, so i better get off my @$$ and do something productive.. no fern, finnishing your silly mystery novel isnt productive... :LOL

i hope you mommas all have lovely days. sorry for the ramble

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#71 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 05:24 PM

Have any of y'all been having a lot of nausea again recently? I just feel bleaaaaghhhh right now, and have been off and on for about 3 days. What's up with that? Oh and my boobs are killing me today!

I know - we have a couple of complainy threads I should probably put this in but I was too lazy to go find them.

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#72 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 06:24 PM - Thread Starter

So remember how I posted that my neighbor agreed (months ago) to take care of willem when I went into labor... mostly because she's right next door and would be able to make sure he was occupied during the long parts of labor but there for the actual birth.

Well, last Friday she came by with her daughter and "visited." They really wanted to help by watching Willem while I went upstairs and "rested" but of course I didn't get any rest because of all the noise downstairs. Anyway, they stayed a while even after Chris came home and I was a little annoyed because willem was WAY overstimulated and cranky and I just didn't feel like having company no matter what their intentions. Then, again, to be nice, she rubbed my ankles because that's where the stim points are for accupressure to start labor... and I have to admit it was very relaxing. But then she told me that (last weekend) was the ideal weekend to go into labor... because they had plans this weekend .... uh... the weekend of my due date. WTF???

So I was like.. hehe... should I make other arrangements for willem. but she never really answered me and yes, we have family in the area who would help us out in a pinch... it's just that I really didn't want them here during me giving birth.

So now... it's Friday evening again. I got 3, yes only 3 hours of sleep last night... and each time I lay down to take a nap I get interrupted. I'm nauseated, dizzy, crampy, and pissy again. And the two of them are downstairs ringing away on my doorbell (they didn't even call first) and I really don't want to see them... or hear them, or hear willem screaming (whether with glee from enjoyment of having company or with frustration because he's still a baby who can't talk and make his needs or desires known that way) downstairs when they "send" me upstairs to rest. I really appreciate the thought, but it really pisses me off when someone comes into my space and tells me what to do (she did the same thing when she came over to help me feng shui the house... it was really sweet but she hung things according to her taste and I'm going to have to get Chris up on a ladder to change them).

I know I'm young... but I'm not that young. Don't treat me like I can't handle myself by telling me what I should do. Maybe I just don't have the balls to say, hey, I really don't like what you are suggesting. I tend to get really rude at this stage of pregnancy and I don't want to be at odds with my neighbors when all these hormones are gone.

Okay, they (the neighbors :LOL ) are gone now (didn't they get the hint when I didn't answer the first few knocks and rings?) and I feel slightly guilty but I'm going to stay upstairs and do laundry. I guess I'll just tell them I really couldn't come to the door.

Am I being purposely rude because I'm pissed about her sort of backing out of what she promised to do... or do I have the right to hide in my house when I don't want to show my face to world... actually I just don't want to hear her say that it wouldn't be convenient for me to go into labor tonight.

I'm so frustrated right now and I'm posting this because I can't call dh because our only phone is in the kitchen and there is a window by the front door they can look in and see me if I go downstairs and I can't use my cell because it's in the car....

Ack :
#73 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 06:30 PM

Yes, for two or three days now I have had some rather nauseous moments. I can still eat plenty though. :LOL

I've also had a TON more discharge - last night I almost thought it was my mucous plug (but I don't think it really was).

Today I did a pediatrician interview and it was a total dud. He used the word "pure" as an adjective for vaccines. : I did get a recommendation from someone here on MDC and will interview her next week.

I think after this load of Dh's shirts gets done I will do some baby laundry!!! Is there anything cuter than those little side snapping tshirts? I've got a couple of orders coming in soon and my CD stash will officially be complete. (of course, the # of soakers is subject to change depending on how much I am in the mood to crochet) I'm also going to attempt to sew a pouch sling this weekend.
#74 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 07:04 PM

STRESS!!!

Ok, calm down. First, I feel like the internet is out to get me. Both my stroller and the mattress for the Amby Bed that I got at a consignment sale (missing the mattress grrr) were supposed to ship. The stroller within 2 days, and the Amby within one. Both have not shipped yet and I cannot get answers from customer svc for either. The Amby mattress was ordered 2 weeks ago! Grrr.

And then I had been thinking that 37w was free and clear to go into labor but now with the uncertainty of whether my babe is breech or not, I fear going into labor now. I dont know what to do. I dont know if I want to risk a breech HB. I dont know if I can find a doc who will attempt breech vag birth. I refuse to sign up for surgery unless there is a really, really good reason. I refuse to beleive that the birth I have planned for for 8+ months might be flying away from me. *sigh* ok, breathe....

Well, I did the slant lying with a cold pack on my fundus and a warm rice sock down low. And went swimming with DS and did a bunch of somersaults in the water. I am sure I was a sight! :LOL I figure none of this should flip the babe the wrong way if s/he is vertex.

DH is going to play poker tonight after DS is in bed. I am so looking forward to a night of sitting in my bed watching *my* shows - Nip/Tuck and Wife Swap that are waiting for me on my TiVO. With a big bowl of ice cream! Ahhhh. Its the simple things in life....

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#75 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 07:34 PM - Thread Starter

Ice cream... maybe that's what I need.....
#76 of 82 Old 10-21-2005, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Alright, I called my mom and vented to her so I feel better now. These crazy pre-birthing hormones make me so overprotective of my space...
#77 of 82 Old 10-22-2005, 04:07 AM

s.
Jenn, don't try and find a doctor to deliver a breech vaginally, it really is the riskiest course of action. Stick with your midwife and wait to see what labour brings.
One of my mothers best friends (they have this gang: the ladies, who strike fear and terror into the heart of every tea shop and clothing shop in the North-east of England. Having wasted 200 years on marriage, now they're widowed they're making the most of things) was going to be a grandma for the third time on the same day as my mum was. Well, baby was delivered on Thursday. By caesarean section. Because it was breech. At 36 weeks and 4 days, she weighed 5 lbs and 2 oz. . That's my vent over- but mum did say that she thought I was doing the right thing, dodging the consultant appointments.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#78 of 82 Old 10-22-2005, 07:49 AM

Jenn -- I hope babe does turn for you. I know I would be majorly stressed out about that. Since I was born sunny-side up and my mom always points out how long and terrible her labor was I have been paranoid about position. And I DO realize that breech is considered much "worse" than OP -- at least that is the general feeling that I have gotten. Just go ahead with whatever birth plans make you most relaxed, whether that means a change of plans or not. Home is NOT the best place to give birth IF you are not comfortable being there (IMO!) which is why we swtiched 1/2 way through from HB to birth center. Although I do plan to have a HB someday when we own our own home.
#79 of 82 Old 10-22-2005, 01:54 PM

Doh. I forgot you have birth centres over there I'll stand by the point though, I wouldn't let a doctor deliver a breech vaginally.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#80 of 82 Old 10-22-2005, 03:47 PM

it feels like everytime i get one room in the house clean and ready for baby the next room is a disaster and i keep doing it over and over, trying to get dog hair out of everything and pick up the toys and get things nice for baby and i..im starting to get overwhelmed and a bit defeated.. the kitchen is a constant mess, even though im always cleaning..our bed room gets torn upside down and the livingroom.. well.. BLAH! bathroom *sigh* my sister works a lot of 12 hour shifts so she makes food and then is too tired or rushed to clean up and i always do the vaccuuming though its her dog that sheds everywhere.. : i mean i love my sister and i love living with her. i just get so overwhelmed.. at least we have a dishwasher now, but it still feels like its too much to do in a day..

BUT

ive cut my work days down a lot..asking my friends whose son i take care of to please pick him up at 4:00 now.. ive been having him from 8 or 8:30 -6 or 6:30 most days and its just too long.. im so tired att he end of the day that i cant do anything and then weekends i just have so much to do that i cant get a rest in..

anyone else feel like this?

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#81 of 82 Old 10-22-2005, 07:06 PM

Feelin groovy...

I got sent home from work at 4:15 yesterday because I was so beat and they wanted me to rest. So I took it easy and basically stayed off my feet since 5PM yesterday, and man am I feeling better! I'm not in as much pain, the contractions have lessened, and I am actually in a fairly good mood! And I won't be doing a dang thing tomorrow, either, so that is just awesome!

In the meantime...things are looking slightly better than 50/50 at work for me to work from home one day a week after I finish my leave, so send some positive working from home vibes my way and to my publisher. That would make a big difference for me, so I'm trying to jsut be optimistic about the whole thing.

Sam has a nasty cold and I'm just trying to keep it away from me because the last thing I want in these last weeks is a cold...I just made him some echinacea tea and he drank it all up, so that was good...

I'm sure enjoying the cold weather. I never thought I'd welcome fall this much, but it is just awesome for me.
#82 of 82 Old 10-23-2005, 12:01 AM

Oh, I hope the work from home works out for you!

And the cold weather! Finally! It was in the low 60's today and I was so happy. We have had an unseasonably hot October here, with "near record" high temps! OMG! I did sooooo not plan for an October in the 80's. It was nice to be outside in a tank top and actually feel "cold". I forgot what that feeling felt like! And it looks like the cool, brisk, fall air is here to stay. I can finally plan our trip to the pumpkin patch. I had refused to go on a day when I would be sweaty and hot and DS would be in shorts. Thats not fall!

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page