what is this pain? - Mothering Forums
Forum Jump: 

#1 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 10:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Are these contractions of some sort or is it my cervix changing? or something else?
I have been having a sharp stabbing pain that is deep in my vagina like where my cervix is located. I have never had this pain with my other 2 pregnancies. I was only 1 cm dialated and 50% effaced the other day when I went to the mw, but this pain has become more frequent since then.
What do you think?
#2 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 10:16 PM

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
I have no idea, but I am experiencing the exact same pain right this second.

North Idaho rural living treehugger.gif mama to: 22 yo DD, 15 yo DS, 8 yo DS, 6 yo DS, 4 yr old DS, 2 yo DD, and 1 yo DS. stillheart.gif And someone new coming this Christmas! stillheart.gif

#3 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 10:18 PM

does it feel like it's on the uterus side of your cervix? I've been getting that A LOT these past few weeks. I think it might be a baby elbow stretching or something like that. Literally, sometimes I think there's a little hand IN my cervix, scratching away....
Don't know if this is what you are experiencing but ouch...
#4 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 10:57 PM

I have that, too. Don't know what it is. Mine feels like it's on the vagina side of things.
#5 of 21 Old 10-21-2005, 11:51 PM

Sometimes a pain like you're being scratched or poked in the cervix is effacement.
#6 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 12:53 AM
Banned

I dunno what it is either... but I get those pains also - sometimes I get them when I am having a very uncomfortable/strong Braxton Hicks.
#7 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 12:54 AM

Hmmm, I've gotten this pain while walking recently. It'll just come from out of no where and stop me dead in my tracks. But it's usually fleeting. Will go away just as fast as it started.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
#8 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 01:25 AM

i have it too.. i think its baby's head hitting a nerve or something.. it hurts a LOT but then its gone..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#9 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 01:51 AM

i have been having this so often lately! it feels like there's something stabbing me in my cervix and yet its so low that i get the urge to sort of.........hold myself from the outside by my vagina.......its very very intense and hard to explain. i think my midwife said it was the baby's head hitting nerves really low........but it doesnt feel like that.....it feels like i'm walking around with a knife in where a tampon would usually be.

is it the same for you guys?

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#10 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 03:37 AM

Uh-huh. It's much worse when I'm walking as well- and goes away quickly, but then comes back again. I could do without it, to be honest.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#11 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 07:20 AM

I get a stabbing pain while walking sometimes too, but it doesn't feel vaginal, it feels like bone-on-bone. Somebody suggested this is referred pain from the round ligament.

Sometimes pain particularly anything involving nerves will appear to come from somewhere else in the body than it's actual source. I don't know if that's involved with anyone here, or if in a week or two I'll be saying "Oh, THAT'S what they meant"
#12 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 07:37 AM

Whatever the heck it is, it seems common! I second the knife thing!

Ohh, and this is what I get for going off about how better my insomnia is -- up posting at 5:30 . .
#13 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 11:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by babykaoss
i have been having this so often lately! it feels like there's something stabbing me in my cervix and yet its so low that i get the urge to sort of.........hold myself from the outside by my vagina.......its very very intense and hard to explain. i think my midwife said it was the baby's head hitting nerves really low........but it doesnt feel like that.....it feels like i'm walking around with a knife in where a tampon would usually be.

is it the same for you guys?

this is exactly what I am having :
#14 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 08:03 PM

well, i feel for you, girl. i was TRYING to do my grocery shopping today and it was almost continuous.......i could barely walk around the store. very uncomfortable and frustrating, yet since i've gotten home, not a thing. they've been more and more frequent lately, but never that much all at one time!

i really wish i could be positive WHY its happening. if it's cervical change that could be not so good.....we really need this baby to stay in until like.....let me think, yeah, the 15th of november, that's two paychecks away. :

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#15 of 21 Old 10-22-2005, 09:35 PM

One of my friends said her OB/GYN called it the "knife in the vagina" feeling, and that its cause is not really known, but its really common. I have it occasionally, too. Not fun!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#16 of 21 Old 10-23-2005, 10:26 PM

Just chiming in to say that you are not alone! I hate that pain. I call it the "head grind", because it feels like she is grindinga nd twisting her head on my cervix. Very sharp, very painful. s

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#17 of 21 Old 10-23-2005, 11:55 PM

I'm with you! I have been describing the "knife in the vagina" pain to girlfriends for some time now and they keep looking at me like I'm crazy, so whatever. I asked my doula a while back and she said it's probably the baby's head knocking into a nerve down there, but lately it's been severe and reasonably common (perhaps 3 times a day) and it comes and goes so fast, by the time I stop and draw in my breath, it's gone.

My hubbie says that it's just nature's way of preparing me, and that by the time I hit labor, everything will be "old hat". Yeah, right!
#18 of 21 Old 10-24-2005, 04:46 PM

Bex,

That's exactly what it feel like to me. I just always wind up picturing my little P with head not quite in the right place trying to push down!

Oddly enough I do find using some of the stuff we used in childbirth class helpful to get through the worst ones. However if my DH said that I probably apply a clothespin to his earlobe and suggest he get used to it!
#19 of 21 Old 10-24-2005, 06:17 PM

:LOL eastvillage and gonnabeamom! Dh's try so hard to be supportive, but they don't seem to understand completely at times. I almost peed myself laughing about the clothespin on the ear. Great visual.

treehugger.gif Bex -- Single, hardworking mama to reading.gif DS (11), love.gif DD (7), & flowerkitty.gif Lars (13)
#20 of 21 Old 10-25-2005, 12:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaFern
i have it too.. i think its baby's head hitting a nerve or something.. it hurts a LOT but then its gone..
In case anyone's interested, during a natural childbirth class this evening, a CNM told us that it IS actually the baby putting pressure on a nerve! So I guess we could say they are already finding ways to get on our nerves! hehehe Sorry mamas...late night cheesy preggo humor!
#21 of 21 Old 10-25-2005, 01:03 AM

Count me in. Maybe we should have done a poll. Mine isn't very frequent, but when it happens, ouch! Wouldn't it be nice if that pain had a purpose, like your cervix ripening?

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page