Tips and tricks for L and D... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 7 Old 10-24-2005, 02:25 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Since so many of us are at the 11th hour, I thought it would be a great idea to post some tips and tricks - if you've done it before or just 'heard' something may be useful...

For example...

I sat in a steaming hot shower at the hospital for hours which almost mitigated my contractions. In fact, when I got out I was fully dilated and ready to push.

Also, the hot water made my skin more elastic and I did not tear when I pushed.

My doula used a tennis ball to massage my lower back and counteract the pressure of the contrax which REALLY helped.

I also got an enema cuz I was scared of my first PP bowel movement... (not scared of pooping on the table for some reason...)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 7 Old 10-24-2005, 04:16 AM

*standing outside while the sun is coming up ( if you are in labor then) is so beautiful. the air is crisp and clear at daybreak and the world is so peaceful at that time of day.. i stood outside on dec 26th, mostly naked and soaked in the beauty of it all and it really made the birth of my son magical.

*my midwife did hot ginger compresses while i pushed elwynn out and it was heavenly! i highly recomend it.. i didnt tear at all and didnt even feel like i needed to heal after, amazing!

im sure there are others but its very late and im weary.. cant wait to hear other peoples magic tricks..

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 7 Old 10-24-2005, 04:23 AM

Being outdoors in early labour, full stop. We went for a long (clock, not distance) walk the morning Alex was born and the fresh air really helped- and then the day Isaac was born, like Fern, Alex and I saw the dawn break whilst sitting in a paddling pool in the back garden.
Warm drinks to stimulate contractions that are slowing down.
Keeping a physical prop- something of the babys- handy to focus on whilst you're in transition and remind you just WHY this strange woman is in your house before you hit her... a 2yo works nearly as well, IME.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#4 of 7 Old 10-24-2005, 02:46 PM
kel

The one thing that worked best for me was to think "open" over and over during every contraction in active labor - tensing up just makes things take so much longer. That and hanging out in a warm tub of water during active labor and transition.

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

#5 of 7 Old 10-24-2005, 08:15 PM

It helped me when I remembered to keep my labor sounds low and open (not high pitched).

I'm reading about birth to kinda refresh myself on what happens and I've realized I've really got a great deal of apprehension and dread about transtion...the shaking, vomiting, etc. is just something I don't want to do again. It's definitely the toughest part of labor and it doesn't last all that long, but reading about it in the book made me feel a little afraid of going through it again.

Christa
#6 of 7 Old 10-24-2005, 09:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crsta33

I'm reading about birth to kinda refresh myself on what happens and I've realized I've really got a great deal of apprehension and dread about transtion...the shaking, vomiting, etc. is just something I don't want to do again. It's definitely the toughest part of labor and it doesn't last all that long, but reading about it in the book made me feel a little afraid of going through it again.

Christa
ditto that but it's pushing in my case... hate the ole ring of fire.

What's helped me in labor? Hmmm, KNOWING that each contrax will eventually end and when all the pain is over the baby will be here. I'm a big believer in taking a deep breath and jumping in so I keep reminding myself "just gotta do this." And the more in touch I am with just pushing this baby out the sooner I'll have my peapod in my arms-- but also quite honestly just telling myself "just do it and the baby will be here and the pain will be over with."
#7 of 7 Old 10-24-2005, 09:37 PM

-if you're delivering at a hospital bring a thank-you basket of goodies for the nurses with your birth plan included

-if you're having trouble focusing through pushing (and having a difficult pushing stage), play tug-of-war with your partner. use a towel with a knot at both ends and have your partner stand at the foot of the bed while you pull from a sitting up/crouching position. it helped me focus soooo much during my last hour of pushing

-even more important: don't push until you feel the undeniable urge to! Last time my midwife told me when I was complete and said I could start pushing whenever I wanted to/whenever it felt good to. Well, I felt great up to that point (thank you, Hypnobabies!) and started immediately pushing because I was excited. I think that's why I ended up pushing for 2.5 hours - I didn't feel that really strong urge to push until after the first hour!

-be sure you've got someone to fetch or fix you a meal soon after you give birth. Personally, I wasn't very hungry till much later in the day, but my mom and several of my friends said that they were the hungriest they have ever been right after giving birth and since it was the middle of the night it was a pain to find a meal. My dad remembers driving around town looking for an all-night fastfood place after I was born and then after my sister was born, too.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page