Isn't it interesting that... - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 04:07 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
It's already the 24th of Oct and we've hardly had any babies born yet? Are we all going term or late this time???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 04:10 PM

considering we ARE the NOV. DDC i think its okay im sure these babies will start popping out like wildfire soon! its better to be term, or over than early!! we want big , healthy babies

Quote:
Once in while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right....

#3 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 04:12 PM

I agree, MamaFern - we're all just healthy!!!

My baby is not allowed to come until next week at the earliest. My doula is away until the 30th and I reeeeeally need to be a pumpkin for hallowe'en.

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#4 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 04:24 PM - Thread Starter

Absolutely, I agree! Just seems like many of us have a history of going early. And some of us are getting pretty close to our edds already. I was thinking about this because with my previous child, I had joined a ddc on another board and everyone seemed to be popping them out early. I wonder if it's because over here at mothering we are more in tune with our bodies and using practitioners that encourage us to do so, rather than looking for any and every excuse to intervene/induce, etc.
#5 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 04:27 PM

Ive been feeling so many contractions I keep wondering if today is the day. Im hoping that he waits until November 2nd since I really want a November baby, but all the boys on my dhs family have all been Oct babies even ones due in November so he'll be breaking the mold if he does wait
#6 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 04:43 PM

Yeah, I'm surprised, too! I mean, there are lots of mamas due at the beginning of Nov. so by Oct. 24th you'd think a few more would have come by now! I guess that does speak to our overall good health, and desire not to have interventions to start things before their time!

any day now we'll have lots more, I'm sure!!
#7 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 08:11 PM

It's really nice, though, not to check up on the due date club here and be constantly bombarded with people talking about how they HAVE to have inductions. It makes me feel a lot better about waiting patiently to do this on my baby's time... not that I'm at all dissing on the mamas here who are induced! If anything, I don't mind reading about it because I know that you all put some thought into your situation and are making the best choice for your circumstances. With some of the ladies on my other, more 'mainstream' internet haunts, I really worry.

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#8 of 18 Old 10-24-2005, 08:36 PM

I always said I'd never get induced, but I am cheating just a little - I've made an acupuncture appt for the day after my due date... : Is that wrong?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

#9 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 03:51 AM

We've had three births so far- by now, it'll be 5 maybe 6 (come on Willemsmama, give us an update) but yes, I'm glad that so many babies are staying put- and so many mamas who had problems with pre-eclampsia before are staying healthy this time too.
The hospital booked me in for a stretch and sweep the day after my due date- I just smiled and said thank you. (I think the car will be broken, or the cat will be sick, or something along those lines that day. Depends how fed up I feel.)

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#10 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 04:28 AM
Banned

I was thinking the same thing... I am surprised there aren't mroe babies yes.

My Emma was 2 weeks early... and I'm due in 16 days... but my cervix is still way back... and prosterior. But the contrax lately -oh dear me, quite intense- and lots of 'em.
#11 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 09:32 AM

I have a really hard time reading the EC on a mainstream board. So many elective inductions at 38w just "because my doctor would never do anything to jeapordize my baby." :

Its so nice to have people here who make well informed decisions and do whats best for them and their babes.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#12 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 09:45 AM

My EDD is not until after Thanksgiving so I don't expect to deliver any time soon...I am a first-timer, too. I would definatley like to have the babe born in Nov. though instead of waiting until Dec. but it's up to my body and my baby.

doula mama to my nov 05 and my feb 08 babes who wrap me in love.
#13 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 11:18 AM

I know I'm still in shock that I'm still around with no baby - but I am really happy too. My MW are happy, because now I can have a homebirth. It's given me the opportunity to actually get my act together this time!

To be honest, I really never look at mainstream boards. I usually find the grammar and spelling so bad as to be unreadable. The logic that follows those errors is also less than rigorous...(i.e. INDUKTION RULZ!). I looked at one at the beginning of this pregnancy and saw some women saying things about breastfeeding that seemed to be something akin to a 1st grader's deepest thoughts (boobies are icky! make the milkies go away! ) and realized it wasn't for me.

I think MDC attracts a different crowd. Like the crowd that uses complete sentences to express thoughts.
#14 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 09:14 PM

See, the people at the mainstream board that I hang out in aren't *dumb*, that's the weird part. They can spell and are articulate even though a lot of them are very young. And they're fanatically pro-BF and AP in a lot of other ways. They just seem to have this massive and astounding blind spot when it comes to the idea that you can say "No thanks!" to something that your doctor suggests. And I feel terrible for them, because the vast majority were hoping to have a natural childbirth, and I don't think I've seen one of them succeed. Part of my horror is pity, but I think a lot of it is "There but for the grace of god -- and delivering in a freestanding birth center -- go I", you know?

Spending all of my money and time on this wild, wild life.
#15 of 18 Old 10-25-2005, 10:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom
I have a really hard time reading the EC on a mainstream board. So many elective inductions at 38w just "because my doctor would never do anything to jeapordize my baby." :

Its so nice to have people here who make well informed decisions and do whats best for them and their babes.
So irritating!

The FDA openly frowns on early elective inductions... and yet Dr's keep doing it anyhow. When they tamper with the natural process, half the time the baby is prosterior or labor doens't progress well enough (enter pitocin, forcepts and other means of getting baby out.) I watch so many of those Birth Stories on TV and these labor inductions half the time lead to c-sections... it blows my MIND.

I honestly think some Dr's do it so they an schedule you into their office hours.
#16 of 18 Old 10-26-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsMoe
I honestly think some Dr's do it so they an schedule you into their office hours.
Dont forget the moms who are begging for their "inductions" that they feel they are entitled to, since they are technically *at term*. Many doctors are just responding to a demand. And since there are a thousand different ways they can justify it to the insurance company (low fluid, big baby, GD, etc etc etc) why not?

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#17 of 18 Old 10-26-2005, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Dont forget the moms who are begging for their "inductions" that they feel they are entitled to, since they are technically *at term*. Many doctors are just responding to a demand. And since there are a thousand different ways they can justify it to the insurance company (low fluid, big baby, GD, etc etc etc) why not?

I know this is spinning off topic into an induction conversation, but I just had to add... The hospital where I work has an "induction police"- a group of doctors that have to approve all of the booked inductions. And they say NO to inductions for "macrosomia", "social inductions" etc. Of course there are still LOTS that sneak in, and 41+3 is the magic post-dates number. Not to mention the "augmentation" rate which is incredibly high (often really an induction for prodromal/"false" labour). I think we still have waaay to many inductions, but at least not so many 38 weeks and tired of being pregnant and lets have a baby before the weekend comes style inductions. I think that people feel less entitled to being induced "because they want it" in Canada, because it's less of a consumer oriented health care system. For better or for worse...the "system" gets more say in the care that people receive.

I'm extra chatty this morning- but glad that we're a group that doesn't want to induce uneccesarily, and that everyone's cooking these babies so well!

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

#18 of 18 Old 10-26-2005, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Yes, in my prenatal yoga class it always takes me aback when I hear the moms talking about how their doctor 'won't let anyone go past 38 weeks' or whatever, or that their due date is in a few days so they 'have' to be induced (no other issues/problems happening....just because it's her due date)- I just feel sad that they're letting someone else determine their and their baby's fate, and may be doing something that could lead to complications or a more difficult labor and birth and then in turn lead to more problems down the road in future pregnancies.

I live in a super crunchy area so it's kind of surprising when I hear this, and for some reason in a yoga class I just assume the women would be more in tune with their own healthcare/bodies.....oh well. At least I know there are lots of other women out here on MDC who think things through a little more.

Quick Reply
Drag files here to attach!
Upload Progress: 0
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Mothering Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page