Had a shower after all! - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-24-2005, 06:05 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Well guys, the housewarming party turned out to be a baby shower after all (For those of you who knew I was reluctantly traveling 3 hrs to PA this weekend for my friend's housewarming party!)

It was so nice, I am so thankful that everyone came and it was great to see my friends and family in one place, since who knows what we'll be doing for the holidays or when I'll get to do any visiting in the near future. It was small, much smaller than my shower the 1st time around- which actually was really nice b/c then I could spend time with everyone and not feel like my head was spinning and that I barely got to talk to people.

I only got one thing from my 'wish list'- that Vegetarian Mother's cookbook that you see advertised here on MDC- I have wanted that forever and the recipes in there are really good. Oh, and Target and Whole Foods GC's which I asked for. Otherwise I got a lot of actually quite cute neutral clothes (no yellow and green stuff, beleive it or not!) and baby toys, and what was really sweet is that DS got a lot of big brother gifts.

Then, my friend's mom asked in front of everyone if I was going to such and such hospital, where my friend was born 30+ yrs ago, since it is right near our house and I just said "no". And she said, "which hosp. are you going to then?" so I told everyone that I'd be having the baby at home! And believe it or not, no negative comments at all. People just asked me questions like would I have a birth pool, was my son also born at home, etc. And my mom asked me to share on how I came to the conclusion that it was best for me. So I did talk a little about my reasons for why HB was right for us, not really about why it is a good choice in general, just why it seemed to make the most sense for us personally. So that was great!

The only negative comments were from my one sis about breastfeeding- she started spouting off saying just about every cliched, typical, misinformed statement out there- and the sad thing is, she's a nurse in a pediatrician's office!! ie, No one I've ever met has been able to do it past 6 months, it gets too difficult after that. I couldn't do it because my dd was a preemie (uh, ever heard of a pump?). It's impossible if you plan on working. We have a patient who is nursing her 3 yr old- ugh, if they can ask for it they're too old to be nursing! We have a patient who has food allergies and we keep trying to convince the mom to quit nursing but she won't. Like I said- pretty much all the typical statements! I stated my disagreement and said I planned to bf as long as the baby wanted to, but wasn't going to argue her on every point. And she's not the type who'd read articles, the WHO statement, etc- she thinks she is already the authority on bf, nutrition, and child rearing since she works at a ped's office! Makes me really wonder what kind of advice those docs are giving

Anyway, although it was hard to travel so much in one day, I am so happy it was such a nice gathering, and now I feel really mentally free and ready for the birth now that we won't be venturing far from home at all in the near future.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2005, 06:44 PM

Glad that it went so well! And uggh about your sister's breastfeeding comments. It must be a relief to get what you needed and be able to stay close to home and finish "nesting" for your home birth now.

"Guess what? It's a magical world. And when I sing, my songs are in it."
Madly in love with my 7 and 4 year old daughters

Old 10-24-2005, 06:47 PM

Awww, yay surprise shower!!! That's great that everyone was supportive about your HB decision.

As for your sister, well, poo on her! :

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
Old 10-24-2005, 07:44 PM

Good for you! So glad everyone decided to celebrate you and the babe! And your son was not forgotten as well! How cool.

Hearing about your sis is really, really sad. Why dont people who deal with BFing mothers try to educate themselves?

Oh and good job on the handling the HB questions. Good to hear no one called you crazy (at least to your face )

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 10-24-2005, 09:20 PM

Hey one egg outta the whole bunch isn't too bad! I'm just so out that point that negative comments about my *alternative* (to their) choices just roll right off of me. But it never fails to astound me when people have negative things to say about breastfeeding!!!

Sounds like you had a fun shower!
Old 10-25-2005, 05:29 PM

cool -- I remember you wondering/worrying about that!

Sitting in the car is getting more and more uncomfy isn't it?
Old 10-25-2005, 06:13 PM

I read the title and was "huh, did her waters break??" (we don't do baby showers over here) It sounds amazing, and I'm glad you got to see all your friends and family and they made a fuss of you.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.

User Tag List