sudden relief from constipation - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

#1 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 05:37 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I've battled it throughout the pg, but the last day or so has been better, even though I hadn't remembered to take a stool softener since last Friday.

So, do you think it's the hot water and lemon trick that the midwife suggested I try, or is it a possible gearing up for labor? I know the prostaglandins produced prior/during labor can make you go, but then maybe it's just wishful thinking. I'm ready to be done.

Christa
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 06:08 PM

Could be labour... you never know. I've never been not-constipated in early labour though, it's always been more like diarrhoea. (The big reason Alex was a castor oil induction was because diarrhoea seemed preferable to the other alternative at that point.)
ooh, babies, babies...

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
#3 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 07:35 PM

I've had horrible problems with constipation throughout pregnancy up until about 2 weeks ago and now everything is just great. My toilet and I are on speaking terms again. I have no idea why. Maybe that often-heard "baby dropping?" Less pressure on the intestines? Those magnesium tablets I started popping a few weeks ago like they were ecstasy (How can 4000 mg of magnesium be bad)? Hormones for pre-birth? UFOs? Why am I speaking to my toilet?

And that is your not-very-scientific medical minute, brought to you by flyingspaghettimama. So I'm not sure it's pre-labor relief that you are experiencing, although thank goodness it's happened, huh?
#4 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 09:11 PM

Last pregnancy I suddenly had relief the last two weeks before labor - one reason I'm afraid I've got weeks and weeks left, since I've gotten no relief from constipation yet.

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
#5 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 09:23 PM

oooh, QoC - if my body worked like yours...I'd be having my baby right about...now!

I wish...
#6 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Hormones for pre-birth? UFOs? Why am I speaking to my toilet?
FSM, you are cracking me up tonight!! I just got finished laughing at your post over in the baby affirmations thread. hee hee!

Ever-evolving mama to my beautiful Brynn, and my little dimple-face Noah .
#7 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 10:24 PM
Banned

If it comes back - try flax seeds
#8 of 11 Old 10-25-2005, 10:55 PM

Sweet relief here but now I spend all my time in the bathroom. This baby is soooooooooo low but I think the loose bowels may be related to early,early labor. Started with my DD I think 2 weeks or so pre-delivery.
#9 of 11 Old 10-26-2005, 08:15 AM

My bowel trick is a daily bowl of oatmeal, with a cup of frozen berry mix and flax oil. That has kept me ticking like clockwork, thankfully. I dont know what I would do if it stopped working, since constipation is utter misery!

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
#10 of 11 Old 10-26-2005, 01:33 PM

i had a rotten time w/ the constipation this whole pregnancy too, until i started on these omega supplements. they're a combination of flax seed and fish oil so maybe that's why......i'm almost not sure which one i prefer.......being in the bathroom so many times a day, or only having to go a few times a week........

Sarah- following my bliss, mama to 3 :
Dd to Ds: "Let's have a snack party! I got us chips, and a hammer!"
#11 of 11 Old 10-26-2005, 02:05 PM

I've been kind of surprised with how few problems I've had with the constipation since normally I'm a bit prone. I had one or two nasty bouts but extra dietary fibre and daily prune juice and omega 3-6-9 oil supplements have kept me pretty regular. Prune juice really is one of those amazing wonder-foods, I find. It's a good thing I kind of like it, although I have to water it down a bit cause it's too sweet.

I am NOT looking forward to the early-labour diarrhea though. Does it happen for everyone? Any way to avoid it?

Postpartum doula & certified breastfeeding educator, mama to an amazing girl (11/05) and a wee little boy (3/13).

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page