worried about big baby - Mothering Forums

Forum Jump: 

Old 10-26-2005, 12:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I'm starting to stress about the size of my baby...

DS was born at 38 weeks and was 7lbs 11oz. That doesn't sound very big, I know, but I pushed for TWO AND A HALF HOURS and still ended up with an episiotomy (which my midwife hardly ever does - the other mw in the practice was really surprised). She tried massage, lots of lubricant, we did about 10 different positions, but the tissue just would not stretch! (BTW, it drives me nuts when people say that with good nutrition/correct positioning/good massage an episiotomy should never be necessary - I had all those things and I still just didn't stretch!)

This time, the baby appears to be even bigger. At my appt yesterday the midwife remarked a couple of times that she was really surprised at how big the baby is. I'm measuring 2 weeks ahead, even though the baby has already dropped.

DH and I are doing perineal massage every night, I'm going to start taking EPO at 36 weeks in order to help ripen my cervix and hopefully deliver at least a week or two before Thanksgiving. What else can I do? I'm stressed, but my midwife is calm about the whole matter... I'm really glad that she's not suggesting ultrasounds or induction or anything - thank goodness I'm not with a traditional OB/GYN!

I guess I wouldn't be worrying so much if I felt like labor was at all close. Suddenly this week I feel like I'll never go into labor. I haven't progressed in a couple of weeks (I'm pretty sure I'm still at 1-2cm and not effaced), I'm still constipated, and even sex last night didn't give me more than one contraction.

Give me words of encouragement! And suggestions for fitting a giant baby head through a fairly small pelvis!

Mama to DS (05/04) and DD (11/05), married to a wonderful DH.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-26-2005, 12:38 PM

Well, its very normal for first time moms to push for 2-3 hours. There has never been a baby through there, so it takes awhile for your body to figure it all out. There are stories and stories of women who have struggled to push out their first babies and their 2nd (or later) babies just come out in 3 ctx or 15 mins or whatnot.

Don't stress! Your body typically wont grow a baby that it cant birth. And remember that the position of the baby is far more important than the size of teh baby, so make sure you are aware of Optimal Fetal Positioning and ways to line that baby up as well as possible.

Jenn, perpetually tired mom to DS(9): DD(4.5): DD(2) :
Old 10-26-2005, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BensMom

Don't stress! Your body typically wont grow a baby that it cant birth. And remember that the position of the baby is far more important than the size of teh baby, so make sure you are aware of Optimal Fetal Positioning and ways to line that baby up as well as possible.
Yep! I'm a tiny Mom and both my boys were 10+lbs at birth (I'm normally 5'6" and about 120lbs). I tore with both, no biggy. I pushed for 1 1/2 hours w/ #1 and 2 contractions w/ #2. PPl who see me not prego don't believe it. But as BensMom said, your body will grow a baby it can birth!
Old 10-26-2005, 04:17 PM
kel

I agree with the other mamas - don't worry, it'll be fine. I usually go close to two weeks past due and have babies around 9-10 lbs., and I'm 5'4", basic build. I *always* have a long pushing stage, but you might not this time. If you tear a little or need an episiotomy, it's not the end of the world - lots of women end up with small tears or epis. regardless of the size of their baby. xo

Handmade dress shop owner and mama of five - our littlest just born in December! ♥

Old 10-26-2005, 04:35 PM
Banned

2-3 hours pushing is quite normal for a first time birth. I personally was 2 hours pushing, and Emma was only a 6.5 pound baby.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:38 PM

Hopefully it's true that second babies are easier to birth. You are having them pretty close together, so it should go okay, even if this baby is a little big. But, I'm no expert... I just read a lot.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:53 PM

Not in your group, but had to respond. I pushed for over 6 hours. No problems. And as long as the baby was okay there was no way anyone was coming near me with sharp objects.

-Angela
Old 10-26-2005, 07:34 PM

Don't worry Queen. My first was 6lbs 12 oz with FOUR hours of HARD pushing, and I suffered a third degree tear.

Baby number 2 was 8lbs 12oz, I pushed for about 20 minutes and ended up with not even a scratch.

I'm not so sure how much the size of the baby has to do with it after these polar opposite experiences.

Bethany, mama to M (9), J (7), S (4), and baby BOY 9/13/10!!
Old 10-26-2005, 11:11 PM

i'm sure you'll be able to birth your baby, no problem!

my DS was a big one- 9 lbs 4 oz and a 15" head!!! i pushed for an hour and a half to get him out (i'm 5'10" and a little bit thin), and even with perenial massage i still had 2nd degree tears. it wasn't fun, but...well, we're all fine now! i'd love to not tear this time, but if it happens, it happens
Old 10-27-2005, 04:19 AM

Erm- my 14lb baby's head was only on the 50th centile, and Isaac's was on the 35th. All babies are different shapes- how did Killian's head compare to those charts?? Did you have a 20 week ultrasound??
The best advice I can give is to refuse AROM, should they offer and keep moving- try climbing up and down stairs to get him/her down and shunted into place. I really noticed the lack of amniotic fluid around Isaac when I was pushing. Also, bigger babies really have to get into OFP before labour starts, because nowhere else really fits them- like birthjunkie, my smaller one was much harder because of positioning.

Helen mum to five and mistress of mess and mayhem, making merry and mischief til the sun goes down.
Old 10-27-2005, 07:18 AM

But big fat babies are so cute!!!!!!!!
Don't really have any advice other than to say getting chiropractic care before you go into labor is always a good thing. It'll ensure that your pelvis is not restricted from moving and shifting the way it's supposed to when the baby is travelling down the birth canal. I've watched fluoroscopy (live, real time xray) of a baby being born and have seen how the hips move apart and the base of the spine moves out... it's incredible. As far as the tissue... other than what other mommas have suggested, maybe also doing some affirmations would help...
"my perineum will stretch to accomodate my baby's head" etc etc.

I think the most important thing is to release your fear of tearing/having to be cut.

Wish you luck!!!

User Tag List